AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-10-06, 09:44   Link #2401
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Given that Nanoha can't even fly without Raising Heart (as shown during Jails attacks, where Nanoha was running and climbing around instead of flying) I'm pretty sure Raising Heart was still helping her.

We know gem devices don't need to transform to do stuff. Like you said, Yuuno could do stuff with Raising Heart, and Kriss and Teo are gem type devices as well, only encased in a fluffy exterior and they don't need to transform. Ditto for Rio's device, no active modes yet it functions just fine.
I cited Rule of Cool with Yuuno, and why they didn't have him reveal RH's true form.

The three new Devices are newer models that don't have physical combat forms, since they're designed to merge with their users.

And the AMF conditions surrounding the attack on that HQ building would hinder the personal ability to fly. A pity that Yuuno wasn't around to show what sort of effect it had on people who CAN fly and don't regularly rely on Devices.

Quote:
If they aren't, I'd like to know the source. Because the anime never really gave any clear answers to it.
I'd have to go back and check those articiles to see what, if any, reference they use.

Quote:
's more personal preference I'd say. Ginga and Subaru were raised as normal humans, so they like to be as human as they can most of the time.

But that's just my theory.
One of my theories is that Combat Cyborg mode does indeed force the Cyborg to rely on non-magical energy, removing access to spells.

Also or alternatively, perhaps their Combat Mode is simply too obvious, and not conducive to pretending to be fully-biological humans.

Quote:
Well, you're still stuck with the moral cesspit of breeding soldiers. The difference between that and making them cyborgs is very small.
I imagine the clones are given more freedom to choose their own futures. Certainly, they're going to be taught (indoctrinated, perhaps) to believe that joining the TSAB is the best or most morally correct career path, but they'd be choosing their own branches of service.

Especially since mages, lacking superhuman bodies and with talents that might apply to completely different kinds of magic, will not always be suitable for combat. Some will be better at scrying, healing, containment fields or teleportation.

Yes, the Numbers showed that same kind of variation, except I imagine the most mass-produced models would be the types whose superhuman bodies see actual, constant use.

Plus, cyborgs are inherently more specialized for particular tasks or fields than cloned mages, since the cyborgs are deliberately designed from the ground up. That leaves them with far fewer suitable options for career paths.

Quote:
I have not the slightest clue whatsoever. It's one of the many things StrikerS never made clear.
The question was only relevant if the theory was true that Hayate founded Riot Squad Six for the purpose of reforming the Ground Forces. I don't think that was her intention at all, so it doesn't matter if she "failed" at it.

Rather, it seems like reorganizing and improving the Ground Forces became her goal AFTER Regius Gaiz died and left a power vaccuum and a huge mess to clean up.

If someone is instead asking how Hayate and Gaiz are different as PEOPLE, I'll point out that Hayate didn't support and fund a criminal madman, actively pursue the use of illegal technology, or sacrifice her own soldiers and friends for the sake of her ambitions.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:01   Link #2402
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
Currently translating the Wing Road entry

http://translationcd.wikispaces.com/...hawiki+entries

Still a work in progress
Finished the entry.
Old 2011-10-09, 21:15   Link #2403
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
Finished the entry.
Thanx, Nagumo!

So, with enough training, Subaru was able to make Wing Road capable of being on par with a flying mage...

And that IS an Inherent Skill, but is also magic.

Weird.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:24   Link #2404
Key Board
Carbon

I am pretty darn sure that flying was originally meant to be a staple for ALL MAGES

However, the author decided that he wanted to have some variety and not have everyone fly, most likely due to influence from SRW

This created a problem where he had to explain why certain people could not fly, and as a side effect, introduce power-level discussions pertaining to it. For a time, people were under the impression that everyone that can fly is automatically a great mage and everyone else that can't is not so good.

The author since then has made steps to migitate this, but the damage had already been done
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 02:00   Link #2405
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
I think is means Subaru's current use of Wing Road offers the ability to make multiple lanes that are not connected, possibly refine it so she can make stairs or just enough to stand on.

Myself, I find certain characters benefit psychologically never having learned flight. It gives them a barrier to overcome in some unique way.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 02:47   Link #2406
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I am pretty darn sure that flying was originally meant to be a staple for ALL MAGES
In the first Sound Stage episode, Yuuno calls flying one of the last "elementary" spells he has to teach Nanoha. Which is definitely a notion that contradicts StrikerS.

Of course, there's still a way out with that remark: Just interpret everyone in the Scrya Clan as being able to fly, such that Yuuno grew up considering the ability to be basic.

What also helps this theory is that it was probably easier for Yuuno to learn flying than the stuff mages like Chrono found difficult in the first two seasons and continued to find difficult in the third: Namely, field-type spells and teleportation.

Neither of which Nanoha ever seems to have learned.

...despite Yuuno once remarking (or wondering?) in the first season (anime or CDs?) that he had nothing left to teach her anymore. A statement which also ignored spells like Physical Heal and Dispel Field and Round Guarder...

So in fact, Yuuno had lots of stuff left he could have taught her. Unless, in a reversal of how these two usually seem to work, SHE actually lacks talent for those areas that were his own greatest strengths.

After all, it's not like she's tried to fill in those gaps even after ten years as an "Ace of Aces". Though maybe she just got complacent in those areas, because there was always someone else to handle teleportation, fields and healing?
Old 2011-10-10, 03:33   Link #2407
green-link94

Nanoha knows healing spells she ask´s Teana if she want´s her to heal her after the B-rank examination before Rein says she will do it

Last edited by green-link94; 2011-10-14 at 09:38. Reason: spelling error
green-link94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 20:42   Link #2408
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I forgot the source but doesn't Lindy mention that Chrono "inherited his raw power from his father side" and spent years to hone his technique??
Old 2011-10-11, 20:51   Link #2409
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I remembered Amy saying something among the lines opf Chrono having averga power and subpar skills at first but worked really hard to improve and becomes a great mage as a result.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 20:59   Link #2410
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

Neither of which Nanoha ever seems to have learned.

...despite Yuuno once remarking (or wondering?) in the first season (anime or CDs?) that he had nothing left to teach her anymore.
I'm starting to think he said that more because she had no magic affinity for those fields of expertise. Nanoha is like Merril: sweet, polite, and have a skillset dedicated to unleashing ungodly amount of pain
Old 2011-10-12, 14:42   Link #2411
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I'm starting to think he said that more because she had no magic affinity for those fields of expertise. Nanoha is like Merril: sweet, polite, and have a skillset dedicated to unleashing ungodly amount of pain
That's one of the conclusions I reached. I thought I mentioned it here or somewhere, but maybe the thought didn't make the final draft.

Likewise, I don't remember if I mentioned how "fields / kekkai" seem to be a rare specialty among magic-users.

Other than Yuuno and Shamal, who has the ability to cast more than one kind? Or even just one?

The Arthra's aerial mages need to work together to cast a Temporal Distortion Field that approximates the Magical Prison spell Vita cast all by herself.

Chrono has only ever used one field spell, in the sound stages. From the sound of it, Chrono defined the field of a training chamber's walls with a barrier spell, to prevent any attacks from damaging the walls. This failed to prevent Fate from doing just that with Photon Lancer, her weaknest projectile.

Chrono mentions that he can make the next one stronger, but also remarks on how difficult and tricky field magic is. Then he hits upon the idea of bringing Yuuno on board to do it for him.

At a later date, in the Mid/Belka match of the manga, Chrono expects Yuuno to do better than he did, despite trying to contain far greater destructive force from three mages, and apparently doesn't even attempt to help Yuuno at all.

(We'll ignore how that turned out, because after the battle against the Defense Program, there's no way these two veterans should have thought Yuuno could do it. At least Yuuno shouldn't have claimed there would be no damage.)
Old 2011-10-12, 14:55   Link #2412
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yuuno: Nanoha, I forgot to teach you some skills you need to learn!
Nanoha: Who are you again?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 06:58   Link #2413
Gx Hero
Rambler

Personally I think adding the corruption of Regius and the High COuncil has hurt the Nanoha series since fans keep posting fanfiction and stuff that is about the evil parts of the Tsab.

Also I don't think Hayate wanted to reform the High Council or had intrest in gaining military rank to do so. It was even stated that she was trying to make the Book of Darkness incedent weight less on her record, granted she bore that responsiblity even though she did not do it. Also from what the main cast had gone through they aren't wanting political power but rather want to be where they can do the most direct good, as seen when she switched over to navy special investigation.

ALso there are some things that seem off in Strikers, the modern Belkan Style seems to early to be so wide spread. During the second season it took a moment to realize the belka style was being used when it should have been obvious to CHrono. and I doubt Precisa or Linith would have failed to teach her about such a style and how to counter.

Last but not least, Shamals cooking seems to still be bad, so is it considered torture to feed it to Jail Scaglati in order to get information.

Sorry for the rambling
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 19:45   Link #2414
Gx Hero
Rambler

Sorry For double posting, got chewed out already, but felt like I should type something I found intresting.

Regius said that Most of the skilled mages tend to go to the Navy, and that they were lacking in unique skilled mages. Drag Yunno and Vita and have them train the mages in certain skills so they happen to know it, better chance of being passed along. Plus it would have allowed more Yunno time, especially if Vita demonstrates how to break a darn good barrier, with Yunno countering with binds.
Old 2013-08-09, 19:56   Link #2415
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Lacking unique skilled mage, or high-powered ones? IIRC it's the latter, and if that's the case there's a limit of what training could improve.
Old 2013-08-14, 02:53   Link #2416
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gx Hero View Post
Personally I think adding the corruption of Regius and the High COuncil has hurt the Nanoha series since fans keep posting fanfiction and stuff that is about the evil parts of the Tsab.
Its a cheap source of drama and a good seed to start from.

Besides, a good Trekker never trusts an Admiral for many good reasons.

Granted, an overused trope just gets terribly boring... (Except of course, when you're one of the first to use it, until your writing circle gets bored by it.)

StrikerS was one of those It could've been so much more...! things, but how funny then, had it not been around, I wonder if I would've spammed as much writing as I would have since then.

*looks at the OC named Kha, and all his clones, and sighs*

I was such a tool/fool.
Old 2013-08-14, 07:09   Link #2417
Gx Hero
Rambler

Agreed, strikers could have been so much more. Especially if they cut down on the number of charecters. Heck I think them being in the military ground forces kinda killed it because it limit on what will actually happen since it creates an illusion it would have to be realistic type instead of something like what happened in season one or a senario like in the series sailor moon and its plot.

a lot of the multichapter stories dealing with the strikerS that seem more than just dialouge they are at war, or there is drama related to that most of the time.

THey all should have been in the Navy looking for lostl ogia or tracking scaglati across planets while the Sankts cradle was buried on earth. Heck the earth could have been the next administered world.
Old 2013-08-14, 20:26   Link #2418
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Use the Fanfic, young Skyraker.
Old 2013-08-15, 10:55   Link #2419
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gx Hero View Post
Agreed, strikers could have been so much more. Especially if they cut down on the number of charecters.
Not even that much is needed. All you need to do is actually focus on the characters, and not have half the battles be against faceless drones with no personality.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 12:19   Link #2420
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Agreed, StrikerS problem wasn't in its characters, we have seen stories with similar cast size that managed more with even less episodes. Most StrikerS charas are potentially interesting. The main problem was time distribution.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote