AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-29, 00:30   Link #801
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention the comedy in that wall of text, heh. Except it's usually one of two things; Shizuno and Moroha making fun of Satsuki, or Shizuno playing around with Moroha and getting caught by Satsuki.

I really like the chemistry between Shizuno and Moroha. Not just because they're formerly husband and wife, but because they complement each other so well. Satsuki just doesn't compare to Shizuno's 天下無敵-level 大和撫子 skill, and that's without going into Satsuki's horrible character flaws.

EDIT:

Just remembered that 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 is already out! Time to stalk some blogs and sites for reviews about it...

「おまえ、わたしのものになりなさい」「は?」お調子者の初級魔道士ダークは、無敵の傭兵騎士団“聖剣団” の若き女剣士フィーネによって、無理やり団員にさせられる。だがラグナの谷を守るその騎士団は、今や弱小の “二代目”となっていた!フィーネの下で聖剣団復活に付き合わされるダークだが、そんな矢先に禁断の黒魔術 を操るカーラーン国の“魔軍”がラグナの谷に侵攻し―!?谷が危機を迎える中、ダークは思わぬ 作戦に出る。

Those lines of dialogue make me think of Vanadis. Hahaha. If this turns out to be something like Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos meets Vanadis in terms of fantasy setting, focus on the duo lead, and several conspiratorial agendas clashing against one another, then I'll be trembling with excitement...(also PV is here for those interested)

Another additional edit, I apologize, but it seems that based on the official site for 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団, Volume 2 is going to be released two months right after Volume 1! This is perfect, since this means I can purchase both of them, along with 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 10, 魔弾の王と戦姫 7, and 黒鋼の魔紋修復士 6 all in one fell swoop.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-03-29 at 11:23. Reason: Added some more info on 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 after digging around
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 03:22   Link #802
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
On a fit of "buying for the sake of buying," my inventory sees two light novel titles as newest additions:

1. Ore ga Ojousama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" toshite Rachirareta-ken, a title I recall announcing at the New Releases thread a while back. I just got done with the prologue and the first chapter on my readthrough, and my reading speed is quite slow even when skipping some Kanji I cannot recognize

I figure something had to be in it that I'm seeing it already released up to the 5th volume in my local Kinokuniya (Malaysia), and there's already a manga adaptation.

2. Maou to Yuusha no Kyoudai Kankei - I don't even know why I even bought this, probably I was thinking of something among the lines of "MC gets incarnations of the Hero(ine?) and Demon King (Queen?) as his little sisters, what can go wrong?"

Anyone read this yet?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 01:54   Link #803
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I thought that I might share my thoughts on some of the series that I'm reading, in case they might help as recommendations (in a manner of speaking). For now, I guess I'll talk about something that intrigued me with 黒鋼の魔紋修復士.

Spoiler:

There's more to 黒鋼の魔紋修復士 but I'd just end up rambling as to why I love it instead of coming out with something close to coherent and rational, so I should just end it on this note - that I like the way it handles characterization and its characters. They don't subscribe to archetypes and archetypal behavior as closely as you'd think, and most of the fun is seeing how Dimitar and Valeria handle each other as well as themselves from Volume 1 onwards.

That, and it's kind of a downer that you can't really judge the series from Vol 1 alone (if that's your thing), because Vol 2 does a pretty fine job of showing how capable Maidens and Magic Knights are (the exact terminologies the series uses for these characters escape me, nor do I know the proper romanization for them so I'm not using them at the moment - I know it's a European language but that's the extent of my lazy research; I have enough series on my list that are utter nightmares when it comes to finding out the right romanization for terminologies used).
Old 2013-03-31, 02:23   Link #804
n0m@n
C-Z

From your description, 黒鋼の魔紋修復士 sounds really interesting. I mainly follow LN from fujimi shobo and MF bunko, so I'm not that familiar with LN which isn't published by them.
I will check it out along with the upcoming 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団. Both of them sounds really interesting.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:36   Link #805
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I see...黒鋼の魔紋修復士 is published by Famitsu Bunko, while 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 is published by Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko.

To add balance to my earlier post about 黒鋼の魔紋修復士, it has a lot of world-building details sneaked in between the pages - they help add to the setting, characters, roles, and history of world of 黒鋼の魔紋修復士. The author scatters them around, and they feel like jigsaw puzzles that add to the full picture of the world-building once you start collecting the pieces and putting them together. I'll upload some pictures of said pages as samples later so you can get an idea of what I mean. The author of 黒鋼の魔紋修復士, Akihisa Ureshino, also has this habit of junctioning scenes together in order to build up the developing story, and while it works out well for the most part, it can get a bit jarring and bothersome in some portions. To clarify: you could be reading about how Di and Valeria are about to get into this dangerous battle, only for the scene to cut away into a different scene between other characters discussing about circumstances and issues related to the said battle. It's nice for build-up, but depending on your tastes, it might get in the way sometimes, especially if you're already feeling the tension for the upcoming scene. But while the author does use world-building, and has political and social circumstances adding to his story's weight, they're not really discussed in full or close to Vanadis-level. The characters mention certain political, social and economic events and ramifications from time to time, but nothing extensive or difficult.

The author loves using a lot of terms like Hiera Glaphicos, Hierataker, etc. with matching kanji though so they're pretty understandable.

It also has no harem comedy antics, no ecchi fanservice - the comedy bits are mostly between Valeria and the other Maidens, or Dimitar and Valeria. The other heroines aren't there just for looks, nor are they there to exist as harem member #〇〇, but they are characters of their own with their own agendas, motives, and behavior. It's not peppered with love romance flags, or heroines making fools of and arguing with themselves just to attract the male's attention, or the male lead being stupidly good and being the generic goody-two-shoes protagonist, and it can be quite refreshing to behold. Di's sarcasm and tendency to piss off Valeria is hilarious and entertaining.

The series' in-universe logic of magic tattoos needing to be exposed in order to use magic is followed faithfully, there are no shounen power-ups and the way magic is presented and used by the characters come off as organic (as in, natural and scaled with the characters, not arbitrary and prone to sudden shounen power-ups). Battles don't come off as shounen-inspired battles; for the most part they're realistically handled (as realistically as magic with limits can be, anyways), and they're always engaging to read especially when Dimitar starts pulling off dirty tricks.

Regarding 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団, I've seen on some sites that Vol. 1 was essentially a huge prologue though still entertaining and brimming with wit reminiscent of Rakuin no Monshou (from what others have said, as I have not read it on my own to provide context), and considering that Volume 2 is going to be released just two months after Volume 1 (June 1 release date), it's up to you whether to purchase it early on or wait for both volumes. I'll be going for the latter.

My apologies for constantly editing this post.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-03-31 at 02:52.
Old 2013-03-31, 03:03   Link #806
n0m@n
C-Z

Thanks for the explanations.
It certainly seems like it is an LN which is worth following. I might read it online first to see the feel of it. But I do like the character descriptions. Having a bit of a dark feel to it may seem more interesting after all.
I dont actually have that much LN I want to buy in April, so I would probably order them in late May or early June. That way I can also buy two volumes of 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 at once.
Oh, it seems you can read the first several pages in their website. Might as well read them now to see the feel of it.
Old 2013-03-31, 03:15   Link #807
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I also forgot to add that the other Maiden heroines serve as foils to Valeria herself, the main heroine lead, which is a really nice thing. The story isn't so much dark as it is more serious than your average LN title, but yes, I know what you mean.

Here's the sample pictures of the world-building pages I mentioned earlier: [1] [2] [3]

Those are from Vol. 1. Shakira Babel, one of the Maidens (mentioned in that second link), appears in Volume 5, but for her to be mentioned that early (as well as mentioned in Volume 3 in-character by Dimitar) shows just how much the author's planned out the world-building ahead.

I forgot to comment on this, but since some people do take note of it: illustration-wise, it's not bad at all. The illustrations really help breathe life into the story, and there are few, if none, conflicts between the text depicting the scene and the illustrations portraying said scene.

I'd recommend you read it online, yes. Helps to get a feel for things early on, like with the author's writing style, or previews of how the characters/world setting are handled.

I'm also planning to buy titles in bulk around June, so I can get Vanadis 7, Thousand and Aegis 10, Hiera Glaphicos 6, Ochitekita Naga no Kuni 1-3 and Aldebaran (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団) 1 and 2 all at once. Probably some other titles too, but those are my priorities, and I think it's safe to say that I'll be satisfied with those for quite a while. I had the idea of buying Rakuin no Monshou 1-12 in one go days ago, but I'll postpone that idea for now.

EDIT:

This is definitely late news, but late is better than never. 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 (Thousand and Aegis) Vol. 10 has a limited edition with Drama CD included, and seiyuus have already been chosen for Phil and Elicia's roles! 川澄綾子 as Elicia and 壱智村小真 as Phil! The rest are still under development.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-03-31 at 10:57.
Old 2013-04-01, 05:16   Link #808
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
I also forgot to add that the other Maiden heroines serve as foils to Valeria herself, the main heroine lead, which is a really nice thing. The story isn't so much dark as it is more serious than your average LN title, but yes, I know what you mean.

Here's the sample pictures of the world-building pages I mentioned earlier: [1] [2] [3]

Those are from Vol. 1. Shakira Babel, one of the Maidens (mentioned in that second link), appears in Volume 5, but for her to be mentioned that early (as well as mentioned in Volume 3 in-character by Dimitar) shows just how much the author's planned out the world-building ahead.

I forgot to comment on this, but since some people do take note of it: illustration-wise, it's not bad at all. The illustrations really help breathe life into the story, and there are few, if none, conflicts between the text depicting the scene and the illustrations portraying said scene.

I'd recommend you read it online, yes. Helps to get a feel for things early on, like with the author's writing style, or previews of how the characters/world setting are handled.

I'm also planning to buy titles in bulk around June, so I can get Vanadis 7, Thousand and Aegis 10, Hiera Glaphicos 6, Ochitekita Naga no Kuni 1-3 and Aldebaran (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団) 1 and 2 all at once. Probably some other titles too, but those are my priorities, and I think it's safe to say that I'll be satisfied with those for quite a while. I had the idea of buying Rakuin no Monshou 1-12 in one go days ago, but I'll postpone that idea for now.

EDIT:

This is definitely late news, but late is better than never. 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 (Thousand and Aegis) Vol. 10 has a limited edition with Drama CD included, and seiyuus have already been chosen for Phil and Elicia's roles! 川澄綾子 as Elicia and 壱智村小真 as Phil! The rest are still under development.
Damn! Looks like I will be spending a lot in May and June.
Nice. Saber is going to voice Elicia.

Speaking about LN, I read the first few pages of 銀弾の銃剣姫 at the MF Bunko, but it didnt seem interesting as アルティーナ. It seems like Altina is the different approach the author took and Gindan is his original style. Not many good comments has been said about Gindan.

The LN called "Absolute Duo" from MF bunko seems like they will have a big annoucement soon. The LN is one of the good LN from MF Bunko that started in 2012.
Old 2013-04-01, 05:34   Link #809
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I was surprised at the details myself, but I'm glad for Tsukasa Kawaguchi-sensei. I can't wait to imagine how Kawasumi Ayako is going to be voicing Elicia - she should be right at home considering it's a blonde tsundere swordswoman, haha (though Elicia is more like a shield + shortsword user). I definitely can't wait to hear Phil, though - I hope her deadpan boke comes off exactly the way I imagine it. Or Nagi!

Here's the teaser for Thousand and Aegis 10:

魔剣ホルプを完全復活させるため竜の墓場へと向かうロック。しかし、行く手を遮る遺跡の魔物たちに武器を持 たないロックは歯が立たず、エリシアたちに助けられ己の無力さをかみしめる。その頃、ロックとの再戦を望む 狂気の魔物アレンもまた竜の墓場へと向かう。ホルプは復活を果たすのか、そして完全復活の近い魔王をバルト ゥータスらは倒すことができるのか。大人気魔剣ファンタジー、待望の10巻登場!

I'm betting that Horpe's going to come back in full just in time to save Rach, or something of the sort.

That's too bad about 銀弾の銃剣姫; I checked out some of the reviews beforehand and it seems like it's not a very interesting series. Though I guess if 覇剣の皇姫アルティーナ is doing better than his MF Bunko J series, then the author should focus on Altina instead.

I'm trying to look around for something of a synopsis of sorts for Vanadis 7 and 黒鋼の魔紋修復士 (Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos) 6, but still no luck...

Here's a fun trivia for 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団! Apparently the artist was asked to draw models for as many as 15 different characters; not all of whom appeared in Vol. 1 (I think, I forgot the exact words). This early on, and that many characters, spells interesting for me, so I'm keeping a sharp eye for 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 Vol. 2's release.

---

Seeing as I talked about 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱 before...while Vol. 1 had me interested, I'm currently in the middle of reading Vol. 2, and I have to get this off my chest. It's following exactly the same path that other 俺TUEEEE stories have taken before it (reluctant-to-fight hero but will cause hell if you harm his harem, protecting mankind vs ruling over them, power levels exponentially scaling up with each new threat, among other things) and while I initially picked this up because it's a "guilty pleasure" of sorts for me, these cookie-cutter trends are exactly why I abandoned reading 俺TUEEEE stories in the first place.

I guess I'll just finish reading Volume 2 in its entirety to see whether or not I'll still follow this, but for now it feels like the only hook that's still got me reeled into this series is Shizuno's character. I like her and all, especially her chemistry with Moroha, but I don't think she can maintain my interest for long if this keeps up.

EDIT:

Just finished reading Vol. 2 of 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱. I'm not really in the mood to read Campione! Lite edition, so I'll just say that those who love 俺TUEEEE (stories with overpowered leads) and lovecom harem gags will feel right at home with Seikentsukai no Kinjueishou (Worldbreak). It has yet to reveal the other 5 members of the Six Heads, as well as the true nature of the Metaphysicals, and I suppose the next Volumes will discuss those mysteries gradually. For me, as much as I love Shizuno's character, reading too many shounen and harem tropes being played so painfully straight just isn't my thing, so I'll be dropping this one, sadly enough. I really wanted to like it, but it's too much a retread of the paths already taken by other 俺TUEEEE stories; at least the writing is enjoyable, I suppose.

I'll be rereading 黒鋼の魔紋修復士 from Volumes 1 to 3 for now, then go on to 4 and 5, hopefully finishing in time by Volume 6's release. By then I'll jump straight to Vanadis 7, and Aldebaran 1 and 2.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-04-02 at 03:19.
Old 2013-04-05, 07:34   Link #810
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

It's finally happened! I can't contain my joy over this.

千の魔剣と盾の乙女 Thousand and Aegis Volume 10 special site open! Site is here: http://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/special/novel/thousand/ and it's mostly there to advertise the upcoming Volume 10 with Drama CD included, but it's still 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 and it's still Kawaguchi Tsukasa so it's all good. The site has (very) brief character bios of the main cast (and none of its expanded roster like Fiona, Mana or Ferdia) as well as a really brief synopsis.

The Drama CD will have Elicia, Phil and Rach as well as Baltuetas and Nighu. No Nagi or Fiona, but it's understandable seeing as the skit is set even before Volume 1's events. Hearing tsuntsun Elicia and deadpan boke Phil voiced...it's like a dream come true (which it is).

Now, I just can't wait for May to come out so I can buy Volume 10 (and Vanadis 7 and etc.)!
Old 2013-04-18, 07:36   Link #811
VN-Angel

Usotsuki Mii-kun to Kowareta Maa-chan

(Versus )

Bungaku shoujo

Which one should I buy ?(Of course, I'm talking about LN)

Both novels interest me so I'm planing to buy them, but for now, I have enough money for only one.
And now I'm being indecisive and thinking that maybe I can get some ideas from ppl here.

So if Hakomari(Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria) is my favorite LN, which one should I choose ?

I'm asking in this thread because it seems like a proper place. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by VN-Angel; 2013-04-18 at 21:03.
VN-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 12:07   Link #812
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN-Angel View Post

(Versus )

Bungaku shoujo

I didn't think either was particularly good, if that's helpful.
Old 2013-04-18, 20:27   Link #813
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN-Angel View Post

(Versus )

Bungaku shoujo

Both novels interest me so I'm planing to buy them, but for now, I have enough money for only one.
And now I'm being indecisive and thinking that maybe I can get some ideas for ppl here.

So if Hakomari(Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria) is my favorite LN, which one should I choose ?

I'm asking in this thread because it seems like a proper place. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've never read the first one. But Bungaku Shoujo is highly recommended and you shouldn't even hesitate.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 21:20   Link #814
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Usotsuki mii-kun is closer to the nuance in Utsu Hako though.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 01:32   Link #815
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Since someone mentioned 覇剣の皇姫アルティーナ before, I thought I'd mention that 覇剣の皇姫アルティーナ III is slated for a June 29 release date.

Still no open preorders for Hiera Glaphicos 6...

EDIT:

Is this Fujimi Shobou's attempt at a Fantasy Senki title? 253 pages is pretty short though, especially compared to other Senki titles like MF Bunko J's Vanadis and Naga, or Famitsu Bunko's Gabriella Senki and Altiina.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-04-21 at 03:26.
Old 2013-04-25, 00:33   Link #816
VN-Angel

I decide to buy Bungaku shoujo after all.
VN-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 21:03   Link #817
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Teaser cover of 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団 2 can be seen on its Amazon page. Holy crap whip sword, one of my biggest weapon fetishes ever. Also, the design reminds me of 黒鋼の魔紋修復士's cover designs.

Sadly, I won't be reading any May releases until the middle of June because of Vanadis' pushback to a June release due to the author (Kawaguchi Tsukasa)'s health and his inability to complete the manuscript in time (which affects my preorders as I had them to ship all together once completed). Thankfully he finished Thousand and Aegis 10 beforehand, haha.
Old 2013-06-27, 14:58   Link #818
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Finally finished reading 聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団/Tsurugi no Hime to Aldebaran. Published by Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, with 杉原智則 (Sugihara Tomonori) as the author and Nidy -2D- as the illustrator. Two volumes have been released so far.

As I don't want to get whatever romanizations wrong, I will be using the names and terms as they appeared in the books.

Spoiler:

It's a very unconventional series that stands out from the crowd with its take on humor, protagonists and witty strategy, but needs quite some buildup before it manages to mingle all those into one coherent mix. Those expecting something close to Rakuin no Monshou will no doubt be disappointed by both volumes out so far. Ultimately, I would recommend a "wait-and-see" attitude especially with the upcoming Volume 3; if you liked what you read from volumes 1 and 2, then it wouldn't hurt to follow it even futher, while those who didn't can drop it and spare themselves the trouble.

Personally, I liked it so far; there's a certain charm to it that I can't quite put my finger on. It grows on you, if you will pardon the expression.
Old 2013-07-09, 09:41   Link #819
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Eh.

Might as well contribute something.

For harem fans and the likes.

I present you 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 (not nearly confident enough to translate it into English). It's pretty standard as a harem genre LN but lacks the annoying traits that a lot of harem LN's have. It's also translated into Chinese.

It's pretty new (only has one volume thus far) and given the recent uprising trend for harem LN I have a feeling that this one's going to be fairly popular. I would bet that it has a decent chance of being turned into a anime.

Spoiler for review:
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 12:03   Link #820
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Eh.

Might as well contribute something.

For harem fans and the likes.

I present you 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 (not nearly confident enough to translate it into English). It's pretty standard as a harem genre LN but lacks the annoying traits that a lot of harem LN's have. It's also translated into Chinese.

It's pretty new (only has one volume thus far) and given the recent uprising trend for harem LN I have a feeling that this one's going to be fairly popular. I would bet that it has a decent chance of being turned into a anime.

Spoiler for review:
I can't thank you enough Log. Ever since IS went downhill, I've grown a lttle disilllusioned about the world. This looks like a potential substitute.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels