AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-05, 18:48   Link #21
alphabetsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
I don't know if this series is anything like paradiss kiss, then it's not gonna be any good. Thats only IMO of course.
If it encourages you at all, I didn't like ParaKiss much -- anime or manga, although the manga was a lot better. I adore Nana, though.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 18:49   Link #22
dxgarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sharingan
How many episodes will this be scheduled for? I've read the first manga from Viz and they're not bad at all.
It's been listed in some Japanese sites as 13 episodes. But this is just a tentative number. It'll probably end up being 26 or at least that's what I hope.
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 19:09   Link #23
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Wow...that was just...*speechless*

I've been waiting for this forever, and it doesn't dissapoint! Its vastly different from Parakiss anime, which is just great! The OP and ED were awesome, though I perfer the ed song over the op I liked the op animation XD Lots of hints for things to come.

I thought it stayed true to the manga, even though the time order was reveresed, but that isn't a problem.

Also, I seriously hope this at least 26 episodes, hopefully longer! If they were to follow the manga and did 26 episodes they would stop around volume 8-9ish, and that's when things get good Ah well, can't have everything, right?

Enjoyed this ALOT, one of the best anime shows this season, methinks ^^;
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 21:11   Link #24
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Though the animation is satisfying, nothing great comes out of it, like you would be exepcting from such a great original work. You just wish there was more...

This comment had me very curious. As someone who studies animation, I am wondering what exactly you were expecting out of an animated adaptation? Additionally, I am really interested in which manga-to-anime adaptations you consider to be noteworthy. =3
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 22:01   Link #25
TekNiks
kali mandirigma

I'm so happhy I've been waiting for this show to come out, i've been counting the days. The screen caps look great, I cant wait to get a copy of the raw. Oh and personaly I hope they do 52 episodes for this show. It would be so much better that way
TekNiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 00:04   Link #26
bluemist
i am the mist

Haven't followed the manga for quite a while, so hopefully this will bring me back to the Nana hype again, with the movie and all.
Old 2006-04-06, 03:57   Link #27
EricMontreal22

Do we have any word on interested fansubers? Is this in the Noitamina slot? Also what other animehas Asaka Morio directed? i think ir ecognize the name from CLAMP works?

To be fair about ParaKiss's pacing (at least till the last ep) the manga too was paced much faster than Nana, probably partly as it was serialized in VERY small chapters in a Fashion magazine unlike most manga
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 04:33   Link #28
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMontreal22
What other anime has Asaka Morio directed?
Gunslinger girl, Rozen Maiden.

That's why i dont have a doubt Nana adaptation gonna rock.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 04:50   Link #29
beansprouts
五月天

I just saw the screenshots of Nana, getting very excited over the anime at the moment. I love the manga and really glad that it is being turn into an anime, about time!! I must say the screenshots look good, too bad I don't understand Japanese, would've download the raw in an instant if I did. Now just have to wait patiently for the subs.
beansprouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 09:16   Link #30
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Quote:
Do we have any word on interested fansubers? Is this in the Noitamina slot? Also what other animehas Asaka Morio directed? i think ir ecognize the name from CLAMP works?

To be fair about ParaKiss's pacing (at least till the last ep) the manga too was paced much faster than Nana, probably partly as it was serialized in VERY small chapters in a Fashion magazine unlike most manga
It is not in the Noitamina slot. It is on a totally different station. Let me see what is currently in the Noitamina slot...*turns on the TV* Oops! A little early still...hmn...I don't see anything on the TV Guide...I don't know if there is anything planned. I certainly haven't been watching it. I will have to get back to you on that.

I don't mind so much ParaKiss's anime adaptation as much as fans of the manga...I didn't really like many of the characters anyway. ^^;;
Old 2006-04-06, 09:16   Link #31
Linly

I'm downloading the raw version now! just can't wait, even if i don't really understand japanse, I've read the manga so i think I can guess what they r talking about :P
Linly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 09:26   Link #32
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Though the animation is satisfying, nothing great comes out of it, like you would be expecting from such a great original work. You just wish there was more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa
This comment had me very curious. As someone who studies animation, I am wondering what exactly you were expecting out of an animated adaptation? Additionally, I am really interested in which manga-to-anime adaptations you consider to be noteworthy. =3

Argh, that's a good question! Especially as i've never wanted to take part in those endless and pointless " which is better manga or anime" debates...
Actually, your question somehow makes me realize i'm more of a manga-addict than a anime-fan ( maybe because i can listen to music while reading. lol). That's why i'm quite touchy when it comes to adaptations.

Anyways i found a good example to prove i'm wrong amongst Animesuki releases : Mushishi. I only watched the first episode, because i thought i might save the rest for later. ^^
In my humble opinion, this anime is technically perfect. Though, when i got to have a look at the original manga i was somehow surprised. The art is a bit too dark, too rough to be easily readable. And i sort of like simple lines ( Kitô Mohiro, for instance). In the anime, the colors and the "simplified" art makes it so much better i couldn't say anything but "woa...".
Otherwise, i really like "Windy Tales", its art and feeling. The fact that it is an original scenario (if i'm not mistaken) may be one of the reason. ^^

Coming back to nana's case, i have to say i'm not especially a fan, but it's still a manga that means a lot to me, mainly because it made me change my mind about shôjo manga, which i started to read since. As i said, it's just not like any other manga. That's why i just wished they put a bit more efforts in it. Like "good is not enough", to me. lol
Nana in anime is "good", maybe "really good". But not "f... great" as the manga is.

I don't mind other adaptations to be only "really good". But Nana had to be different, in my idea. More than a mainstream thing.
I believe there's a gap between "lower-class" animation, like Ai shiteru ze Baby or Suzuka ( I'm not gonna make friends here, well, whatever...), and the rest. Don't get me wrong, i watched them from the beginning to the end, so i think i can tell.
Then you have Bleach, Yakitate, Karin and else, which i really enjoy, because of the rythm, the voices ( Matsushiro Ken rules!!!), and maybe because i haven't read the manga. Of course, i'm thankful to animesuki and all the fansubbing teams who brought all of these. Weren't they there, i would be still reading my stuff without trying to get to know something else.
Then again you have "upper-class" anime, like Mushishi, Noein, Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, Ichigo Mashimaro, Lain, etc... even from a only technical point of view i'm sure you won't disagree with me when i say you can't compare them with the others i mentioned.

My only problem is that from what i've seen so far, i just can't rank Nana in the upper-class, and believe me i wish i did...

I know you'll tell me i don't know a thing about animation, or that everything's just a matter of taste. That's why i'm keeping on saying this is just my very personal opinion. My english is bad so i can't really express it correctly. It just looks like i'm the only one feeling a bit disappointed here, so i guess i'm wrong, in the end...

I just hope you understood what i mean

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-04-06 at 09:55.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 12:28   Link #33
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Nana episode 1 raw

Good first epsiode. Nana is now at the top of my list for the new season, along with Suzumiya Haruhi.

I liked the movie, but this is much better so far. They stick pretty close to the look of the manga, and the characters work better for me. It took a while to get used to the voices -- and maybe I'm still adjusting to Nana Komatsu (light Nana) -- but they were good choices, and the real human voices bring the manga characterization to life. The voice of Nana Oohashi (dark Nana) was a little rougher than I expected, but I got used to it fast. The voice of Nana K adds a certain strength that threw me at first, but is interesting. This first ep helped me get into the characters more than either the movie or the first part of the manga did.

Gunslinger Girl and Rozen Maiden do not actually recommend the director to me, but this ep was well conceived, well constructed and well paced. It showed a nice touch.

The sketchy animation of the faces is based on the manga, but maybe doesn't work quite as well in anime. The exaggerated motion of Nana K's mouth babbling on the train didn't work for me, for example. In fact, I found Nana O's voice and look a little more effective than Nana K's. Maybe I just miss the very first part of chapter one, which I think really fleshes out Nana K's character (so to speak). I guess they thought her early dalliance was a bit heavy to start with.

But this is mere quibble. Seemed like a great start to me. At the end, when Nana K said she almost cried, tears came to my eyes, too.

By the way, I love ParaKiss. It had its problems, and so far I like this better, but I like Kobayashi Osamu's work, or at least I've liked both Beck and ParaKiss. It is true that it was not especially true to the feel of the manga, but I thought it was a good anime.

And I am totally in love with both the OP and the ED.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-06 at 13:20.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 22:37   Link #34
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Quote:
Argh, that's a good question! Especially as i've never wanted to take part in those endless and pointless " which is better manga or anime" debates...
Actually, your question somehow makes me realize i'm more of a manga-addict than a anime-fan ( maybe because i can listen to music while reading. lol). That's why i'm quite touchy when it comes to adaptations.

Anyways i found a good example to prove i'm wrong amongst Animesuki releases : Mushishi. I only watched the first episode, because i thought i might save the rest for later. ^^

*sniiiip*

I just hope you understood what i mean
Actually, your answer was thoroughly satisfying, and definitely proved me wrong about my assumptions of your previous post. I was thinking "Oh no, another manga-is-better-than-anime snob..." but you are very well thought-out in your response!

I am actually just getting through Mushishi myself, and I see what you mean by excellent animation.

I must say that shoujo manga is a lot harder to do "exceptional" things with as far as animation goes, because of the style of the stories. Though if you want to see a GREAT animated adaptation of a shoujo manga, I highly recommend Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey and Clover), as I think I like it better than the manga. ^^;

But back to Nana...I haven't read through the entire manga yet, and actually my first impression of Nana was through the movie, which I loved--mostly for the cinematography and the music.
Old 2006-04-07, 05:12   Link #35
Rhys
Interweb crawler

The raw is still downloading for me, so I'm still yet to see this episode. I have quite high hopes for it though, because reviews said that it's faithful to the manga. I like the movie but with the limitation of time they had to cut a lot of things. So far I've seen the OP & ED only.

OP: I like Nakashima Mika's voice better for Nana, but the song is better than Glamorous Sky (my favourite "Blast" song is still Isolation).

ED: Opposite to the above... I like Olivia's voice better than Yuna Ito's, but the song is so-so. The funny thing is that I always thought "Journey" from Yuna's single sounds like an anime ending. Is there a possibility that they would use it as ED? Well, most likely not, but a girl can dream.

From the screencaps, the character designs and colors look nice. Hachi's face needs some getting used to. One thing I want to hear the most is how Paku Romi would sound as a woman, rather than an adolescent boy.

raphaël: It's interesting that you put Bleach as good adaptation, because I'm personally quite annoyed with some of the changes the anime made. But you said you never read the manga, so that may be why. Also, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop (both of which totally rock, btw) are not manga adaptations because the anime came first.
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 05:45   Link #36
Linly

Finally done downloading the raw . I just watched it and I have to say that the animation is really good. I still have to get used to Hachi's round face though but it would work out just fine.

The OP and ED songs were in my opinion both nice. They sounded ok in my ears when hearing them for the first time. Sometimes I've got problems with songs , when hearing for the first time I'll think it sucks but when hearing for 3/4 more times it would sound better and better.....well I'm just kinda weird sometimes

But anyways, I can't wait for the next episode! I have to fill my days with other (new)anime until the next Nana.....
Linly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 11:01   Link #37
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Talking

Quote:
Actually, your answer was thoroughly satisfying, and definitely proved me wrong about my assumptions of your previous post. I was thinking "Oh no, another manga-is-better-than-anime snob..." but you are very well thought-out in your response!

I am actually just getting through Mushishi myself, and I see what you mean by excellent animation.

I must say that shoujo manga is a lot harder to do "exceptional" things with as far as animation goes, because of the style of the stories. Though if you want to see a GREAT animated adaptation of a shoujo manga, I highly recommend Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey and Clover), as I think I like it better than the manga. ^^;

But back to Nana...I haven't read through the entire manga yet, and actually my first impression of Nana was through the movie, which I loved--mostly for the cinematography and the music.
I'm so glad you liked my answer, i really tried my hardest to make it clear! thank you
I'm also glad you noticed Mushishi too.
About Honey and Clover, i didn't mention it because the heroin Hagu just really gets on my nerves, but it's indeed really good animation, maybe "upper-class". lol and i really enjoy the humor and all the male characters.
But this would be better written in another topic

I agree with you about the shoûjo-style scenario. You're completely right.

So, anyways, from now on, we just have to wait for wednesdays, right?

Rhys, you're right too. I wasn't really "mistaken", actually, those titles just popped out when i was trying to remember what's great animation to me. ( who know that guy who looks stupid and who's just doing what he can to save himself. lol yes yes, i really knew!)
And you guessed right about Bleach. Maybe i'd be upset too if i read the manga. I'll ask you more about that in the proper thread.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 03:35   Link #38
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Quote:
About Honey and Clover, i didn't mention it because the heroin Hagu just really gets on my nerves, but it's indeed really good animation, maybe "upper-class". lol and i really enjoy the humor and all the male characters.
But this would be better written in another topic
Mainly because I don't know where you have started another topic if you did indeed start one--but I am curious how far you got with HachiKuro--because Hagu really got on my nerves until she moved in with Ayu-chan. Then she started to branch out and finally become her own character, and not simply a reactionary one.
Old 2006-04-08, 03:59   Link #39
dxgarten

Quote:
Mainly because I don't know where you have started another topic if you did indeed start one--but I am curious how far you got with HachiKuro--because Hagu really got on my nerves until she moved in with Ayu-chan. Then she started to branch out and finally become her own character, and not simply a reactionary one.
I agree. Hagu did start out as a one note character but her personality gets to be developed a bit as the show progressed.
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 05:44   Link #40
Akirasuto.

Quote:
Do we have any word on interested fansubers?...
There are three potential groups listed on the wiki and one of them just recently released the movie and extra. I suppose it's all in the air at the moment.
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance