AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 12 31.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 39.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 18.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.63%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-24, 11:14   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Ouran Host Club Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Ouran Host Club, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-07-25, 13:44   Link #2
dxgarten

Episode 17 screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-25, 15:58   Link #3
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-25, 16:56   Link #4
Omniscient

Episode 17 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-26, 14:45   Link #5
kari-no-sugata

Hmm, they changed one thing which I thought was somewhat significant.

Spoiler for compared to the manga:
Old 2006-07-27, 08:50   Link #6
funkymunky

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-30, 02:49   Link #7
Cal-Reflector

Long ago, when the series first started airing, people were busy comparing the romantic content of the manga compared against the anime, the general consensus being in the anime, Haruhi is shown to have more of an appreciation for Tamaki than she did in the manga, where after seven volumes, after all the pluses and gag effects canceled each other out, little to no headway was made in the way of serious romantic development.

The chapter shown in episode 17 was one of very few chapters in the manga up till this point in which potential for serious relationship development was featured; the only others being the beach episode/chapter earlier on and the recent episodes 16.

The significant beach episode (Haruhi-Kyouya, Haruhi-Tamaki) and the Karuiizawa episode (Haruhi-one of the twins) did very well in retaining the original's advancement of Haruhi's understanding of the respective host club members. The tension, atmosphere, all brought out very well.

However, the alternations to this Kyouya-Haruhi chapter significantly decreases the veiwer's impression of the mutual-understanding and positive feelings which Kyouya and Haruhi gain for each other in the manga.

Spoiler for episode 17 deviations:

Conclusion: Unlike the beach and the Karuiizawa episode, the emotion and atmosphere of episode 17 has been toned down tremendously, which is why this episode gets low marks from me. The menacing Kyouya, and how images of the Red Devil appear everytime DemonKing!Kyouya appears was a nice touch though.
Old 2006-07-31, 00:12   Link #8
Likely

im eagerly awaiting this episode, and the first voter giving it a 2 doesnt bode well at all! there's around 7 shows left correct? i hope this series finishes on its feet.
Old 2006-07-31, 06:46   Link #9
foshade

Good Episode

This was a good episode because first off i dont read the manga so it unexpected!! not like some comparing whining people. I dont expect much from any anime or tv show!! so my life simple compare to some people, who just stress over useless crap rather then focusing on how to make lfie better for people around you, instead, you waste time replying to people who dont give a Shti. over all i love series where there moments you feel i dont know surprise.... ( at end of shows with kyouya saying those words with music on) yeah i am big sucker for those type of moments but... it just different ok yeah bye now.
Old 2006-07-31, 07:05   Link #10
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Interesting ep, if only for the insight into Kyouya's character and the gag surrounding the rest of the club's growing appreciation for commoner life. Laughed at Tamaki reporting Kyouya as a lost child, but other than that, the jokes were thin. That's ok, the focus in this ep was obviously supposed to be Kyouya... but I'm still not sure I'm prepared to say the character attention is a strength of Ouran's. Not exactly sure why Renge was in this episode, but my philosophy on such matters is that there's no such thing as too much Renge, and more Renge is always welcome.
Old 2006-07-31, 09:46   Link #11
Forever
Revealing the truth

As a kyouya x haruhi supporter, this ep was simply fantastic... But after going to see the manga version (I can read chinese), i realised it could have been better, so this ep gets an 8 at most.
Old 2006-07-31, 10:12   Link #12
kari-no-sugata

As a side-note, there are a bunch of "flashbacks" to certain events shortly after Tamaki arrived at Ouran originally (when he and Kyouya were in middle school). Looks pretty likely that they're going to animate the manga chapter those flashbacks are based off - making for a Kyouya and Tamaki focused ep.
Old 2006-07-31, 21:45   Link #13
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Spoiler for image:
Kyoya's father - it's Gendou! And to furthermore solidify the theory, they are done by the same seiyū.
Old 2006-08-01, 06:29   Link #14
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Kyouya's seiyuu is awesome. He sounded exactly like evil Toshihiko Seki!
Old 2006-08-01, 12:05   Link #15
Suki the Pure

This one didn't impress me. It felt more like a filler, and Kyoya didn't have any real character development, nor did we find out anything about him and couldn't have been shown as a small part of a different plot.

Probably my least favorite to date.
Old 2006-08-01, 12:37   Link #16
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
This one didn't impress me. It felt more like a filler, and Kyoya didn't have any real character development, nor did we find out anything about him and couldn't have been shown as a small part of a different plot.

Probably my least favorite to date.
I agree. But then again, I am very much not impressed with anything from the "serious" parts of Ouran and watch it for the jokes so people who want more than just jokes should just ignore this post. But it was basically - shock and horror, Kyouya is not a complete egoist. It's not as if everyone and his dog didn't know or suspect that already. And most importantly - too little of Tamaki in this episode and he is the funniest character in this series by some distance.

Old 2006-08-01, 12:51   Link #17
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke

Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki the Pure
Agree. the episode was rather flat imho
Anyway.. I'm wondering how all this will end. I'm fearful we'll have an extremely open ending -_- (and that's good only if they're planning a second season)
Old 2006-08-01, 15:15   Link #18
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i loved this ep for some reason...but maybe its cause i consider Kyoya as a sex god cause hes soo cool (btw im not gay)
i can see how family pressure has forced him to be somewat cold but we all just know that hes a good guy
loved the face expressions and the banner saying "low blood pressure evil lord" XD i give this ep a 9

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-01, 16:41   Link #19
Mephisto2k
anime4life

very nice and funny episode. and i liked the parallel between the melon taste and kyouya being an egoist.
Old 2006-08-01, 20:20   Link #20
bubu
Glittering

I really enjoyed this episode, but then, I'm a big Kyouya fan. To me, he is much more interesting than the twins. It did seem as though all romantic tension between Haruhi and Kyouya was carefully removed, but I didn't mind that because I don't think every guy in the show needs to fall for Haruhi (I like her with Tamaki).

Not really looking forward to next week's Honey-centric episode. Sorry, but Honey is a one-note bore.
Closed Thread