AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2011-08-17, 01:15   Link #1941
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
What have I done?!

A colleague from work visited my house with his five year old daughter, and he wanted me to show him an anime series that would be OK for her to see. Most of my series are not really for small children, and the first BD disc of K-ON was pretty much all I had on hand that fit the bill.

The first episode in English dub later, and now said child wants her dad to get hold of the DVD for her next week...

I feel horrible now :P
I have no idea why. K-On! is a beautiful series for a young girl. It shows young women working hard as a team to accomplish what they want despite their personal flaws. And yes, its funny.
Old 2011-08-17, 05:14   Link #1942
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have no idea why. K-On! is a beautiful series for a young girl. It shows young women working hard as a team to accomplish what they want despite their personal flaws. And yes, its funny.
- I don't think it's right to go turning a young and impressionable mind into an otaku. It's like that scene in Interview with the Vampire where a bit of a stink is kicked up when they turn a girl into a vampire.

- I get dissed a lot about my love for anime, and I'm reluctant to share it with others if it's going to get them ridiculed later on.

- It's no secret among my social circle that I really don't like kids. One of my friends who was present at my party caught me grinning widely while watching K-ON. He thinks that its paradoxical that I enjoy watching young girls in anime, yet despise kids in reality. My position is more like this. Anime is cute. Real flesh and blood children are not cute. Therefore, no paradox or contradiction. I hope that nobody now goes shoving kids in my face thinking that I'm merely repressed.

- K-ON feels a bit like a guilty pleasure, since there are many otakus who do not like what they call 'moeblobs'.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 06:00   Link #1943
Goggen

Quote:
I don't think it's right to go turning a young and impressionable mind into an otaku.
You know, you don't have to be an otaku to watch and enjoy K-On. Especially if you're a little girl!
Old 2011-08-17, 12:53   Link #1944
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Japanese put it on their Disney Channel. So it should appeal to a winder range of people.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:04   Link #1945
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
- I don't think it's right to go turning a young and impressionable mind into an otaku. It's like that scene in Interview with the Vampire where a bit of a stink is kicked up when they turn a girl into a vampire.

- I get dissed a lot about my love for anime, and I'm reluctant to share it with others if it's going to get them ridiculed later on.

- It's no secret among my social circle that I really don't like kids. One of my friends who was present at my party caught me grinning widely while watching K-ON. He thinks that its paradoxical that I enjoy watching young girls in anime, yet despise kids in reality. My position is more like this. Anime is cute. Real flesh and blood children are not cute. Therefore, no paradox or contradiction. I hope that nobody now goes shoving kids in my face thinking that I'm merely repressed.

- K-ON feels a bit like a guilty pleasure, since there are many otakus who do not like what they call 'moeblobs'.
This may be a case of "it depends on the neighborhood you live in". In the US, K-On! has been received as a very positive series.

As Ithekro notes, its shown on the DISNEY channel in Japan so its creeping into mainstream there.

I love K-ON! I'm also married with two sons, have a degree in electrical engineering, have a social life, go to sci-fi and anime conventions, mow the yard, and volunteer in the local schools. In no sense could I be construed as an "otaku" in the pejorative negative meaning. Certainly an "american nerd/geek".... but I somehow doubt I look the part.
and the "loli-tsundere wife" just to be clear about it (she watches anime as well).
Old 2011-08-20, 01:20   Link #1946
calorie

Quote:
As Ithekro notes, its shown on the DISNEY channel in Japan so its creeping into mainstream there.
Really? It's good to know that; my sister recently had the opportunity to meet some japanese girls and all of them knew about K-ON! and liked it (while on the other hand most of them said they didn't watch anime on a regular basis), so I think it's pretty clear that this isn't such a bad show to let a kid watch. Besides other than that one yuri moment with Tsumugi (S01E04) I can't think of one thing that bothered me in the whole series.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 01:24   Link #1947
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I don't always watch anime , but when I do , I prefer K-ON!!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 14:14   Link #1948
Misago

if you didn't know already Houkago Tea Time were the surprise opening guests at TBS Anime Festa 2011 on August 13th where they "played" Go Go Maniac and No, Thank You
you see some (small) pictures here
Misago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 09:55   Link #1949
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

The Battle of the Light Music Clubs! (via ANN)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/i...ht-music-bands
Quote:
K-On! Model School to Host Battle of the Light Music Bands
The final stage for Toyosato Keion Koshien, a nationwide high school light music band competition in Japan, will be held at the real-life model for the K-ON! anime's school on November 19. The anime and kakifly's original manga followed an all-female high school band, and both helped spurred the popularity of light music band throughout Japan.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:13   Link #1950
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
I don't always watch anime , but when I do , I prefer K-ON!!
Captain Awesome: The Most Interesting Anime Fan in the World!

Quote:
and the "loli-tsundere wife" just to be clear about it (she watches anime as well).
That's a great fu-manchu moustache, I gotta say.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:31   Link #1951
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Captain Awesome: The Most Interesting Anime Fan in the World!

That's a great fu-manchu moustache, I gotta say.
Sadly, its gone now. The hair is now about five different colors, one of which is a transparent white so it looked like hell. Wore that for, like, 30 years :P

Still have the hair on the head though its more silver.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:27   Link #1952
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

After re-watching episode 21, I thought it would be pretty cool if we knew a little bit more of there history in elementary/middle school.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 23:29   Link #1953
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
After re-watching episode 21, I thought it would be pretty cool if we knew a little bit more of there history in elementary/middle school.
Well, we have pretty much of them for Yui, Ui, Nodoka, Mio, and Ritsu. Only Mugi, Azusa, and Jun's childhood remains almost totally unknown up till now.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:50   Link #1954
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Well, we have pretty much of them for Yui, Ui, Nodoka, Mio, and Ritsu. Only Mugi, Azusa, and Jun's childhood remains almost totally unknown up till now.
At the very least, we know that Jun went to the same middle school as Ui.
Old 2011-09-14, 19:38   Link #1955
Forte
The IV th Numerals
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Forte
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
At the very least, we know that Jun went to the same middle school as Ui.
yep! But I'm not really sure whether Azusa's childhood might be revealed.

[spoiler:as for Mugi]Sooner or later, I'm sure Mugi's childhood will be revealed. IMHO, thought...[/spoiler]
Old 2011-09-14, 19:47   Link #1956
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

If Jun was Ui's friend from since the middle school, I wonder how Yui and Nodoka seems not to recognize her at the start. They also went into the same middle school, right?
Old 2011-09-14, 19:56   Link #1957
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ui was always going home to take care of Yui it seems.
Old 2011-09-14, 20:04   Link #1958
Goggen

Quote:
If Jun was Ui's friend from since the middle school, I wonder how Yui and Nodoka seems not to recognize her at the start. They also went into the same middle school, right?
It's possible Ui and Jun didn't meet / weren't put in the same class until their final year in middle school, at which point Yui and Nodoka were in high school. That's what I assumed, anyway.
Old 2011-09-14, 20:06   Link #1959
Forte
The IV th Numerals
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Forte
Quote:
It was shown clearly that Jun was attended the same mid school in the manga, but I'm not really sure for the anime since the scene in the anime is a bit different from the manga.

@goggen: there's a possibility for that. XD
Old 2011-09-17, 04:45   Link #1960
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Angry Azunyan "Fans" Go Fucking Psycho At Taketatsu Ayana Boyfriend Rumors

AAAANNNNND.....
Ladies and Gentlemen, the psycho fans are at it AGAIN!!

(Obligatory Link NOT Safe For Work Warning for Sankaku: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...tsus-betrayal/ )

Taketatsu Ayana, the voice of Azunyan, has the good fortune of taking a print-club sticker photo with a handsome young man!!

Good on you young lady, I'm so happy for you....

..... is what a NORMAL otaku would say.

Instead, there are stalker assholes online who start posting evidences to their need of a nice padded cell in the form of knives being driven into photos of Ms Tatketatsu, not to mention effigeies and posters of Azunyan being splashed with blood-red paint, stabbed and dismembered.

Nowadays, I PROUDLY proclaim that I am an Anime Fan in public (sick of letting Hollywood having complete control ove the say of what is "normal" pop culture), but its unfortunate travesties like the above incident that remind me why I should not be surprised at the disgusted sneers in return.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen