AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-11-29, 00:41   Link #1081
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I guess it depends. Will admit I usually go to the subs eventually. But do like to try and give the dub a chance since the voices may fit well. If the dub does sound really good no reason to switch over.
Old 2008-12-23, 14:34   Link #1082
Lightly_Toasted

So once again, my english class spills over to Spice and Wolf. We are reading the Canterbury tales(the character introductions.)

The Merchant: A MERCHANT was there with a forkd beard,
In motley,1 and high on horse he sat,
Upon his head a Flandrish beaver hat, from Flanders
His boots claspd fair and neatly.
His reasons he spoke full solmpnly, solemnly
Sounding always the increase of his profits

He would the sea were kept for anything 2 He wished
Betwixt Middleburgh and Orwell.
Well could he in Exchange shields sell
This worthy man full well his wit beset — used his brains
280 There wist no wight that he was in debt, no person knew
So stately was he of his governance astute in management
With his bargains and with his chevissance. money dealings
Forsooth he was a worthy man withal, Truly / indeed
But sooth to say, I n'ot how men him call. truth / I don't know

"(dressed in) motley": probably not the loud mixed colors of the jester, but possibly
tweed.
2 276-7: "He wished above all that the stretch of sea between Middleburgh (in Flanders) and
Orwell (in England) were guarded (kept) against pirates."
3 278: He knew the intricacies of foreign exchange. Scholars have charged the Merchant
with gold smuggling or even coin clipping; but, although "shields" were units of money, they
were neither gold nor coins.

One of the other travelers is also a miller, and it notes that people thought them to be thieves, and take too large a cut of the flour.

If we actually read all of the tales, I could probably find a lot more connections, Like the Wife of Bath similar to Horo. But that won't happen unless I choose to become an English major in college(unlikely) and read the whole of the Canterbury tales in old English.
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 01:06   Link #1083
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

I don't know, I'm an English major, and even I didn't have to read ALL of it.

But the Wife of Bath is depicted as lustful, which I don't think quite accurately describes Horo...
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 01:11   Link #1084
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgment26 View Post
I don't know, I'm an English major, and even I didn't have to read ALL of it.

But the Wife of Bath is depicted as lustful, which I don't think quite accurately describes Horo...
Ah I don't know, I just thought since she was old and experienced.
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 01:21   Link #1085
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Well, she certainly is experienced....
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 08:07   Link #1086
Krystos
Amateur Semi-Polymath

Hey guys, can you help me?
Some people who are making a fandub on YouTube also dubbed the OP.
And to tell the truth, the result is quite good
Here is it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZknF4UPPUA

Now, i started to write down the lyrics, then a i saw a guy done it, however, there are parts which he couldn't write down.
So now I'm concentraring on those ones, but no matter how much i listen to it, i just cant get it.
Here are the lyrics so far:

[..] are unknown or questionable

Throughout my journey
I have walked alone
Only my heart stood still
Now it's clear to see
When you're here with me
The emptiness has been filled
[Two souls (cast a plat?), three have made a (???)] on the same dusty road
Travel side by side, with no need to hide, [whispers of wind have gone]
Mysterious songs and one unknown refrain, repeating again and again.
[dunno this part] that the traveler's sing, they sound so familiar to me
In the world that I've been walking, in my dreams I hear it calling
Help me find it, I've been waiting by the right side of the wind
What awaits us in the distance, night turns to dark, in an instant, freezing midnights, [something] mornings, and keep me away from you

( BTW, i think the very last phrase should be changed to "let us find it with you", since i think that the original one has a strange meaning, no? Yes, i get it that freezeing midnights etc. keeps him away from her, but still.)

I would thank any helpful suggestions!
Krystos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 00:45   Link #1087
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
I'm interested in watching this.
Which fansub is best for this series?
Old 2009-01-13, 00:50   Link #1088
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might want to be careful how you ask that question here as
Animesuki got a C&D from Kadokawa Pictures which effectively makes it licensed.

Practically speaking ... whichever one you can find will do fairly well. They all had their good and bad moments.

Update 1/12/10: The first season is now licensed and on the shelves from Funimation. Please support the anime you like by buying when you can.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-09 at 14:17.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 07:41   Link #1089
Kaguya
an idler

Because I do not know where this topic should be posted, I post it here.

A radio drama starts from August 12.
Ookamic radio II

It is a story about Honey Pickled Peach this time.
Probably, it is a drama based on a side story "A wolf and honey pickled peach".
1st radio drama arranged as a comedy "A wolf and amber melancholy".
Therefore, I expect that 2nd radio drama is a comedy in the same way.

The casts other than Ami Koshimizu and Jun Fukuyama are unknown.
Because Rikiya Koyama as Mark is a guest, he may act a certain character.

Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 16:16   Link #1090
NettoSaito
Black Knight

Send a message via MSN to NettoSaito
Chances are in my English class this year I'll have to do some kind of report over a book. I'm really thinking about spice and wolf.
NettoSaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 22:18   Link #1091
LKK

Funimation has uploaded the first two episodes of S&W subbed on to its video streaming site. There are probably region restrictions. Otherwise, here's your chance to relive the story from the beginning for free.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 01:47   Link #1092
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That "Stretching with Horo" segment had to be one of the most adorable DVD extras I've seen. Technically very correct yoga stretches, interspersed with "ears" and tail".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 16:17   Link #1093
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Stolen from the Cosplay thread whilst i was wandering around just checking out random stuff, but given it's directly related to S&W, thought I'd see if anyone else agrees with me, or decides to bite on the other side which is Horo's origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

I've seen a number of really nice looking shoots from Japan this month... let's start off with Yuuri Hasui as the first Horo to feature on MPZero:

http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/12570323/
Much as I love Horo/Holo, I dont like that cosplay [beyond my normal not liking/laughing at cosplay...Im not one for fancy dress fullstop].

Don't get me wrong I like the idea, and its mostly well done, but her hair should be darker, I seem to remember the first book mentioning her hair being amber *edit: although the book did say her eyes were amber with a touch of red so I could be wrong there and just remembering incorrectly, but she IS usually portrayed with dark to middlish brown hair, not blondey brown*, which is a rich, middlish brown, and that cosplay is almost blond, but I also dont think that much of the girl and quite simply, Horo/Holo is more likely to be EUROPEAN/SCANDINAVIAN, not Asian

From the setting of the books, it seems to be a romanticised middle Europe, most likely Germany or that region due to several names used (Loewen Merchants Guild for example would be the Lion[s?]Merchants Guild). Now Horo comes from the far north, where it snows a lot, implying she probably originated from either the northern borders of Germany, or more likely, from Denmark (or if she crossed the sea, Norway/Finland).
Those were heavily pagan regions of the world anyway before the church properly managed to gain root, so again given Horo is effectively a pagan god, this would all fit in. Northern Germany and Denmark also used to have rather extensive forests

There are plenty of asian characters to be cosplayed, leave the few caucasian characters for the caucasian cosplayers!
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 16:45   Link #1094
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Stolen from the Cosplay thread whilst i was wandering around just checking out random stuff, but given it's directly related to S&W, thought I'd see if anyone else agrees with me, or decides to bite on the other side which is Horo's origin

Much as I love Horo/Holo, I dont like that cosplay [beyond my normal not liking/laughing at cosplay...Im not one for fancy dress fullstop].

Don't get me wrong I like the idea, and its mostly well done, but her hair should be darker, I seem to remember the first book mentioning her hair being amber *edit: although the book did say her eyes were amber with a touch of red so I could be wrong there and just remembering incorrectly, but she IS usually portrayed with dark to middlish brown hair, not blondey brown*, which is a rich, middlish brown, and that cosplay is almost blond, but I also dont think that much of the girl and quite simply, Horo/Holo is more likely to be EUROPEAN/SCANDINAVIAN, not Asian

From the setting of the books, it seems to be a romanticised middle Europe, most likely Germany or that region due to several names used (Loewen Merchants Guild for example would be the Lion[s?]Merchants Guild). Now Horo comes from the far north, where it snows a lot, implying she probably originated from either the northern borders of Germany, or more likely, from Denmark (or if she crossed the sea, Norway/Finland).
Those were heavily pagan regions of the world anyway before the church properly managed to gain root, so again given Horo is effectively a pagan god, this would all fit in. Northern Germany and Denmark also used to have rather extensive forests

There are plenty of asian characters to be cosplayed, leave the few caucasian characters for the caucasian cosplayers!
I dunno race aside any small form female that has a face with small features could do a nice horo, this patriarchal female has to large/broad a face/nose/cheeks for horo.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 19:29   Link #1095
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

While well done, it just doesn't work for me... her eyes creep me out. However, at least she did the character justice. Unfortunately I have seen some VERY BAD ホロ cosplay. They made me want to cry. How dare these folks not do her character the dignity and beauty it deserves.

On a positive note, the belt, I was very impressed with... not exact but that would be nigh unto impossible, so very good given homemade... I's totally needs me a "tail belt"!
Old 2010-03-08, 19:32   Link #1096
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I agree with the cosplay not looking quite right, the hair should be darker (plus it's rather similar to the skin tone which is just eerie), the tail looks more like a rat's tail than a wolf's tail, if those apples aren't fake I'll eat them, and the eyes. O_O I think they were following me around, especially in that third picture where her facial expression (barely showing the teeth, flatish nose and no apparent pores) reminds me of an American Girl brand doll.
I've seen much less creepy cosplays of Horo before, although the setting does also play a large part in it and the modern day glass made it worse. Although, I have gotten the impression that Japanese cosplayers only cosplay within the city or the special cosplay areas of cons while the rest of the world tries to find location-appropriate shooting areas, just my two cents on that though.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 13:45   Link #1097
JThree

Guys:
I'm trying to figure out how to ask for a thread about how the Spice and Wolf novels, and book series treats Christianity/the Church? I find it intriguing and yet I disagree with some of the jibes that the series does do? Is there a way a thread for this could be created, or would it be too objectionable?

JThree
JThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 18:21   Link #1098
Rajura

Well, the series seems to based during the the middle ages when the Catholic church did abuse its power and did not follow the teachings of Christ... selling indulgences, not making the Bible available in "vulgar" tongues, and punishing and or excomunicating anyone who disagreed with the doctrine that was taught. I think it would be a fair discussion, but notice how other religion topics trend on these boards.

I do not know... but I think most people would agree the Church by and large is not like that now and that it was a very unfortunate time period but one that did result in eventual reformation in both the Catholic church and new Protestant.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:56   Link #1099
JThree

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the show overall, and I do think the show does reflect some geunine criticisms against the church per se. But there are many good Christians out there (now and then), but the program doesn't show any any positive aspect of the faith.

Would love to see Lawrence defend some of the Christian principles that he possibly grew up around, and when Holo makes some negative comments about the church, he doesn't always have to agree with her.

Just a thought. Could be another element that could give some conflict for the stories.

JThree
JThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 23:00   Link #1100
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThree View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the show overall, and I do think the show does reflect some geunine criticisms against the church per se. But there are many good Christians out there (now and then), but the program doesn't show any any positive aspect of the faith.

Would love to see Lawrence defend some of the Christian principles that he possibly grew up around, and when Holo makes some negative comments about the church, he doesn't always have to agree with her.

Just a thought. Could be another element that could give some conflict for the stories.

JThree
True... that did bother me too, and Hasekura hasn't shown many strongly positive traits to the best of my knowledge. Of course, there are still a some novels I have not read yet and 1 or 2 still pending so...

Maybe this should get a thread... considering we are making a discussion of it on the thread request page.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen