AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-17, 15:57   Link #1161
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I can understand calling Hatchi a slut, but Nana is hardly a slut. Nana only was with one guy during the whole series while Hatchi was with at least 4 guys and 2 of them at the same time.
Seriously. A lead singer in a band who's been with only one person her whole life? Even when they were separated for two years? What kind of sex starved desparate religious fanatic do someone has to be to consider her a slut?
Marionette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 22:40   Link #1162
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
I'm quite amazed, that there are people, who watched 50 episodes of anime about a couple of sluts.
And I'm ready for fifty more. Fifty episodes about a couple of saints would be pretty boring, lol. Once again, I have to say that not all anime have to be didactic children's literature.

The fact that Hachi was so loose is a big part of the background and the story. I think Yazawa-sensei sees it as part of her problem. It has hardly led her to a happy life. I'll bet her parents had no idea what she was doing, and even if they did had no idea how to stop her.

As for Nana, other people have made my point for me. She was not a slut in any sense at all, unless you think that any sex outside of marriage makes her a slut. If she hadn't been so scared of marriage, she and Ren would have been married long ago. I think there are good arguments for and against sex before marriage, but in the world as it is, the apparent fact is that in the order of about half of everybody has had sex by the time they are 17, in Japan or in the West.

In any case, what you did in your post is known in the trade as "trolling": making a strong negative statement in a place where you could expect to offend a lot of people and get them to take your bait and argue. However, it was interesting trolling, so thanks.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 07:47   Link #1163
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

The fact that Hachi was so loose is a big part of the background and the story. I think Yazawa-sensei sees it as part of her problem. It has hardly led her to a happy life. I'll bet her parents had no idea what she was doing, and even if they did had no idea how to stop her.
Well, it's a part, but not that big. Though the end of ep.30 was one of the best in all of anime.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 07:52   Link #1164
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On Hachi's parents, I don't know. Papa Komatsu seems the type to opt for the "school of hard knocks". He may not like her daughter being banged by so many men, but he is very likely to say, "It's better for her to get some hard knocks, so that she knows for herself how tough life can be." He's depicted as the average Japanese salaryman, albeit one with many children, and is somewhat well-off. (Seriously, how many Japanese couple today have three daughters, and live in something bigger than an apartment?)

Natsuko herself seems a doting mother, so I will really put it down to Hachi being less than frank with her folks.
Old 2009-07-23, 17:10   Link #1165
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
I was just watching Ultraviolet, and noticed that it was Nana's voice. I had no idea how much I loved her voice until I started noticing it in other shows. For someone like me, who doesn't even speak or understand Japanese, to be able to tell a difference between voices, makes her voice VERY distinctive.

It's so damn sexy! I mean, I sat through the crap that is Ultraviolet just because of her voice, heh.

I haven't read through this thread, but surely, you must be mistaken when you say that most people would convince themselves that Takumi loves Hachi the way she wants him to.

I think most people are heartbroken at the fact that she refused Nobu, because they know that his love for her is real and true. More accurately, what people are trying to convince themselves of is that Nana would be happy without the kind of love that Nobu can provide.

To me, it seems that she cannot survive on the type of affection that Takumi can provide. That's what breaks my heart about this series.

I know she can't. She's just like me, convincing herself that material goods are enough, that as long as a guy can give her stuff and that she can largely do what she wants, she will be happy.

But I think that I've realized that this is not the case.

Overall, I think that we are just used to our heroines being THE ONE, but in this case, perhaps Hachi is NOT The One to break through Takumi's barriers.

If this is so, I want to see whether she can break down the barriers (Takumi does care for her after all -- maybe he tries) or, as the ending FF tells us, whether Nobu can break down her barriers.

Either way, I still find myself questioning whether someone like her deserves such devoted true love.

The fact that this is even a question for me is very telling of how layered the characters are.

Overall, this series has deeply touched me.
Oh you will be surprised at how many people who watched this series thinks it's about Cinderella Hachi ultimately getting her Prince Chariming (in disguise) Takumi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
On Hachi's parents, I don't know. Papa Komatsu seems the type to opt for the "school of hard knocks". He may not like her daughter being banged by so many men, but he is very likely to say, "It's better for her to get some hard knocks, so that she knows for herself how tough life can be." He's depicted as the average Japanese salaryman, albeit one with many children, and is somewhat well-off. (Seriously, how many Japanese couple today have three daughters, and live in something bigger than an apartment?)

Natsuko herself seems a doting mother, so I will really put it down to Hachi being less than frank with her folks.
I think Hachi said they had a big house because the and is cheap where they live, or maybe that's just in the movie.

Yeah, I feel like she probably wouldn't tell her parents what she does exactly, but if she did they'd be mad but not for too long. I can't imagine any parents not caring that their 17 years old is sleeping with a married 30 years old.

Last edited by Marionette; 2009-07-28 at 12:21.
Marionette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 06:01   Link #1166
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

I don't know if I should watch this Anime.... I am afraid LOL, I can get too emotionally involved in this type of dramas ... I don't wanna end up in a Million Pieces BUT at the same time I am hella curious..... aggrrrr decisions decisions decisions ......
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 06:48   Link #1167
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
I don't know if I should watch this Anime.
Well, I am most certainly grateful that you made this post. When you bumped the thread you reminded me of how much I have wanted to watch this show.

I just watched the first episode and I freaking loved every second of it.
Old 2010-04-25, 07:26   Link #1168
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Well, I am most certainly grateful that you made this post. When you bumped the thread you reminded me of how much I have wanted to watch this show.

I just watched the first episode and I freaking loved every second of it.
YW! ... I think I am going to watch it but coupled with an action/ecchi/comdy/mindless anime to prevent a total crash on my side of things.....

I just saw Hulu.com has the whole thing so its hard to resist the temptation.
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 20:57   Link #1169
Jujubee

It saddens me to see this topic hasn't been posted in in so long. I feel so behind having just finished watching it today. Can someone tell me why Nana Osaki refused to go back to their old apartment? Also, the very last words of the last episode was Hachiko saying "Hey Nana..." Did it really end there or does she actually say something more? My copy of the anime doesn't have 'Next on..' segments at the end of each episode so I was wondering if the they were cropped out.

Oh and also, this anime was AMAZING! I wish so bad that I had a girlfriend to watch it with. Any single girls out there haven't seen this yet? lol
Jujubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 20:11   Link #1170
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
can't recall the secnes that you're asking, but why don't you just check the manga? Or wait for the second season, it seems that we'll have it sometime.
Old 2011-02-12, 04:46   Link #1171
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If you're planning to check out the manga, just wanted to let you know that it is on hiatus at 21 while the author Yazawa Ai recovers from a serious illness.
Old 2011-03-06, 00:56   Link #1172
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Hmm I decided to watch this series only to unfortunately discover that it is yet unfinished.

Curses.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 05:06   Link #1173
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Hmm I decided to watch this series only to unfortunately discover that it is yet unfinished.

Curses.
I'd say you go and read the manga if you're interested, though the anime is such a good adaptation. Especially with the addition of voice work and music. You could always watch it then pick up the manga after it's finished. Though i'm you are aware that the manga is also on hold, and it is at a very horrible place to stop.

I highly recommend checking it out though.
Old 2011-03-06, 14:56   Link #1174
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Haha, well that's why I'm afraid to pick it up.

Once the author comes back from hiatus, if ever, I may check it out.

It's just a shame, because everytime I pick up a shojo I like, it's always unfinished and the manga still ongoing.

Fruit's Basket and Skip Beat did this to me to just name a couple. At least Skip Beat is still releasing chapters frequently .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 16:50   Link #1175
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

I've been holding off on the manga for so long due to the hiatus...I think it was early last year when the manga stopped. Hopefully when things settle done in Japan it might start up or at least an announcement will be made

Onibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 16:07   Link #1176
FranyDigger

I loved the way that both (Oosaki and Komatsu) explain her thoughts at the end of the chapters ^^ It was like the perfect and strange friendship that all of us want to have!!!

Spoiler for Nana Komatsu:

Ps: I loved the songs!
FranyDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 14:42   Link #1177
YuriEcchiGirl

NANA is a simply wonderful anime, one of my definate all time faves, as is it's accompanying manga series aswell of which I own all currenl 21 volumes available to date of so far...I only wish that the anime will soon be available to buy on Region 2 DVD here in the UK very soon just as it already is for Region 1
Old 2012-01-30, 20:13   Link #1178
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Wish Ai Yazawa would continue working on the manga~~
Onibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 03:02   Link #1179
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Been watching this, and these days with my poor attention span any series that gets me watching 22 episodes of it has to be something.

It's consistently entertaining and manages to amuse me every episode. It's good to have series that won't be wasting your time.

Of course, I'm a fan of Nana O, though that should be a given to anyone that knows me well enough.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 09:22   Link #1180
Dop
Mmmm....

ANN: "Yazawa Island," the regular feature on manga creator Ai Yazawa, celebrated its 100th installment in the March issue of Shueisha's Cookie magazine on Saturday. To commemorate the milestone, Yazawa herself drew a new two-page "Junko's Room" chapter.
The new "Junko's Room" chapter is Yazawa's first new manga published in over three years.

OK, so still no word on whether there'll be any more NANA, but where there's life there's hope, and maybe this is just a start.

Hopefully someone here will be forthcoming with more information for those of us who don't read Japanese!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance