AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-02-29, 01:58   Link #21
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

unrelatedwaffle: The Dubbing in movies and the dubbing in Anime can be seen as different.

See, where as that argument works for Live-Action, as the voice IS part of the actors performance, it doesn't hold for Anime. All Anime is dubbed. In very rare circumstances are the lips synced to the audio. Most of the time, they're simply flaps, so voices are interchangeable
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 04:20   Link #22
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
unrelatedwaffle: The Dubbing in movies and the dubbing in Anime can be seen as different.

See, where as that argument works for Live-Action, as the voice IS part of the actors performance, it doesn't hold for Anime. All Anime is dubbed. In very rare circumstances are the lips synced to the audio. Most of the time, they're simply flaps, so voices are interchangeable
I believe what unrelatedwaffle was trying to say is that the only thing you can get from the anime character is the seiyuu's voice. Thus all characterizations and atmosphere and conveyance of the variables in the scene then is from the seiyuu him/herself. He is also referring to double-dubbing (which I think the topic is about anyways) which is the translated dubbing.

Unfortunately double dubbing does usually result in losses to the anime. This is often through 2 factors when the double dubbing is done.
  1. Most often is the translated script. The languages are generally different. Yes, you can have the meaning translated but can you translate the emotions conveyed and more importantly the atmosphere as well?

This is more pronounced when the translated sentence is much longer than the original spoken sentence. The dubbers would have to rush through the new script and the rushed sentence would be weird. Sure editing might get through some of this. But if you try to squeeze too much into fewer words, you might get something out of character or unintelligible at all. This mainly happens with idioms, slangs and technical speeches.

There is also the possiblity that the translated script when spoken sound ridiculous if the dubber tries to replicate the emotion in the voice of the original seiyuu. Actually that happens a lot... But if the dubber tries to make it sound normal, the component in that scene as conveyed by the seiyuu is lost or out of sync with the situation.

2. The second point being the dubbers themselves. Unless they understand and/or agree with the way the seiyuu has portrayed the character, they are going to perform the character as how they think he/she is (character differences) or no character at all (just a job, speak in a wooden voice, get pay and leave). There is a very high chance of getting it all wrong here.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 08:49   Link #23
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Usually when you're adapting somehting like this to English, unless its very much set in stone, you dont always have to be 100% accurate to the original voice actors, because they're producing the ADR scripts to portray the characters to a more-so western audience then an eastern one, hence you've gotta change nuances and stuff.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 10:34   Link #24
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Usually when you're adapting somehting like this to English, unless its very much set in stone, you dont always have to be 100% accurate to the original voice actors, because they're producing the ADR scripts to portray the characters to a more-so western audience then an eastern one, hence you've gotta change nuances and stuff.
Have you even read point 1? The translation to a different language can and usually will introduce losses to the overall story and atmosphere. I have watched both western dubs & cantonese & chinese dubs and I can say that with a few exceptions (below), none of them really captured the original 100%.

English & Japanese are two different languages with two different cultures. You cannot expect to translate exactly with the same connotation and atmosphere within the same dialogue length. Changing/adapting the script from Japanese to English to fit within that time span would have possiblities of losses. The suggestion of changing a setting usually in the East to something in the West with the applicaiton of Western ideas then saying nothing is lost is ridiculous!

Saber Rider & the Star Sheriff was a good material to be dubbed for westerners, mainly because it is a Western setting (hey! Cowboys!). At least here the western drawl or high British accent won't sound weird. And any adaptation (i.e. change in total sentence structure & meaning) would not sound weird to the story or atmosphere. Good English dubs would have an easier time with settings not in the East or Eastern Culture. Unfortunately most Japanese animes are set in the Eastern sector.

But if I have to hear ninjas speak with a western accent again or to hear them put a slight conniving tone to an unfriendly but honest character, count me out.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 23:15   Link #25
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Well, practically all English dubs I ever witnessed ranged from pitiful over atrocius to making your ears bleed (Amelia's (Slayers) English dub voice comes to mind, as well as Asuka's (NGE) english dub voice... now that was serious pain ). No exceptions there.
German dubs started out not much better, but gradually improved over time. Especially the series shown on TV are nicely done. Except for the series aimed at kids like Dragon Ball where they don't put much effort as they apparently think the kids won't notice it, you can notice that they've put much effort into it with series which are aimed at youths/young adults over here like Sailor Moon or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Those are also without name changes and pretty much free of censorship. The only exception here was Inu Yasha recently which they wanted to air in the usual afternoon anime slot (around 4 pm) because it had been heavily requested by the fans. However, they apparently acquisted it without taking a look at it, and so only found out later that it was targeted at a mature audience and not fit for airing in the afternoon... so to be able to show it in the afternoon, they cut out the most violent scenes. However, the series also ran on a different channel in uncensored form

Another reason for subs is that the original seiyuu generally do a really great job giving their voice to the characters, so it would really be a shame missing it.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 23:32   Link #26
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Someone lock this stupid thread. This is just a big whine-fest by fansub fans about how "dubs are horrible," "they take away from the show," "they get it all wrong" and other such nonsense.

It's a moot point, in more ways than one.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 06:23   Link #27
Z'd Jung
Maniacal

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Someone lock this stupid thread. This is just a big whine-fest by fansub fans about how "dubs are horrible," "they take away from the show," "they get it all wrong" and other such nonsense.

Point.
This is the sort of thing that all of us here have discussed already, if not on this forum. But oh well, there's all that Democratic freedom of speech and all, But its still kind of a waste of ... Bah, I'm not gonna even bother, its a moot point like microlith said.
Z'd Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 06:48   Link #28
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith

Shut up microlith. Obviously they are not going to be changing the industry, but you'd notice that this thread is actually about more than that if you actually took the time to read it. And even if it wasn't about that, as long as the discourse is civil they have every reason to have the discussion.

Your problem is that you're just a big party-pooper.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 20:49   Link #29
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Question Subbed Vs Dubbed

We have come back to the age old anime debate among otakus Subbed Vs Dubbed . So which is better ?.I have a tendancy to look down a lil upon people who watch only dubbed anime (those are my thoughts)
Once an anime gets dubbed I beleive it loses its soul thats voices .Here voice actors are below par leaving the guys who dubbed Robotech ,Beserk and Heat Guy J.Dubbers here have a fixed amount of voice modulation & even fewer emotions. That pains me ... they are gonna do that Trinity Blood very soon I was an avid naruto otaku from jan 04 and the way it was dubbed pains me critics have said that the dubbing for it is more than their expectations, to me its below par.
And lastly every language has pun and in dubbing its lost.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 20:55   Link #30
jedinat

I think there's already a thread like this...

But anyways, everyone knows the proceeds of dubbed anime goes to Satan himself. And I choose not to support the devil.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 20:59   Link #31
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Gomen My bad........ I didnt read the other thread posted
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 22:38   Link #32
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
*cough* Lock it *cough*
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 23:30   Link #33
Amun-Ra
þąıń

Really, its an individuals preference based on what they are used to. Most people watch subs and arn't able to see things from different people's perspectives. Veiling baised opinions on your choices, its silly.
Amun-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 01:40   Link #34
KikiTheDragon
Sanji kicks ass!

It depends on the anime ^^ Ones that have dubs that are great and even surpass the jap version like Cowboy Bebop, I'll watch the dub ;D

But animes that have to be dubbed by the wretched-ness of 4kids or other bad dubbing companies -though I say 4kids is the worst...- Like One piece and the Rockman.EXE series I'llt ake subbed and only subbed
KikiTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 04:54   Link #35
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Depends on too many factors for me to say for sure. Here's some highlights:

How old is the anime? The newer it is the more likely I am to prefer the dub. We're for the most part getting better at that.

Am I the only viewer? If not, the chances it's a dub increases

Does it even have a dub? Usually the answer is 'no'. Fansubs are by majority unliscensed and it's naturally easier to see them than DVDs.

So in short, yeah, a lot goes into it and I can't even take an average because I'd need to gauge it versus the percent I've seen that has a dub track. I tend to give the dub a chance. They're a lot better now than they used to be, for the types of shows I watch anyway.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 14:00   Link #36
d3v4st4t10n
DeVaStAte

Send a message via AIM to d3v4st4t10n
Never Dub Anime!!!!! Its Evil!!!!!!!
d3v4st4t10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 14:08   Link #37
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3v4st4t10n
Well, Trigun's and FMP's dubs were nicely done you know

But yes, sometimes the VA's and the characters lips don't much, but even when that happens the difference is too minor to notice.
Old 2006-02-28, 16:10   Link #38
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3v4st4t10n
Thanks for contributing to this thread in such a well-thought out manner.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 22:26   Link #39
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
um you can learn some japanese and some very basic conversation and words. It will take years but it will have an effect.

We all like subs (or raw) better since this is a subbed anime site u_u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Saber Rider & the Star Sheriff was a good material to be dubbed for westerners, mainly because it is a Western setting
OT:OMG I remember that show LOL loved the horses ^-^"
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote