AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 23:43   Link #21
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Can't pass an excuse to pull out the magnifying glass and my trusty OED1 (1933) Compact Edition.
Spoiler for Anyways:
It's just like history; not every source is accurate. Anyway, language is something that changes with time. If the language gets messed up enough by everyone in the world, it will be treated as the new norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
On a sub-related topic: I don't use "anyways" mostly because it looks and sounds ugly more than whether it's proper English or not. I just cringe thinking about it. It's also definitely more American than British (or rather, it's more of an archaic word to us nowadays).
Yeah. If you think about it, when we use the word "any," it means "all possible forms" of the following word. So why is there a need for the "s"? (Would you say something like, "There are many of everyone?")
alphastickmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 10:34   Link #22
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastickmania View Post
It's just like history; not every source is accurate. Anyway, language is something that changes with time. If the language gets messed up enough by everyone in the world, it will be treated as the new norm.
What exactly is your background? You appear to live in Singapore, and your fansub group Generation neXt was formed in 2007 with the main focus of subtitling Yu-Gi-Oh!... That doesn't exactly scream of an English expert in hiding. Since you don't seem to realize, when the top two English literary dictionaries in the world, Oxford English Dictionary Second Edition (1989-UK) and Merriam-Webster, agree on a definition, even scholars would be hard pressed to claim either to be inaccurate.

Both OED1 (1933) and OED2 (1989) use identical definitions. They define the first meaning as proper usage of the word, and the second as dialect (regional) or illiterate (sub-standard).

Merriam-Webster (2003) on the other hand, defines the first meaning as archaic or dialect and the second as chiefly dialect (not viewed by Merriam-Webster as significantly sub-standard or illiterate).
Old 2011-02-19, 15:50   Link #23
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
What exactly is your background? You appear to live in Singapore, and your fansub group Generation neXt was formed in 2007 with the main focus of subtitling Yu-Gi-Oh!... That doesn't exactly scream of an English expert in hiding. Since you don't seem to realize, when the top two English literary dictionaries in the world, Oxford English Dictionary Second Edition (1989-UK) and Merriam-Webster, agree on a definition, even scholars would be hard pressed to claim either to be inaccurate.

Both OED1 (1933) and OED2 (1989) use identical definitions. They define the first meaning as proper usage of the word, and the second as dialect (regional) or illiterate (sub-standard).

Merriam-Webster (2003) on the other hand, defines the first meaning as archaic or dialect and the second as chiefly dialect (not viewed by Merriam-Webster as significantly sub-standard or illiterate).
Nice check there. But unfortunately that has nothing to do with what I mentioned. I was trying to say from the viewpoint of subjective truth, the word is only in the dictionary because it has been used.

As a matter of fact, everyone is allowed their own personal views so if you really want to go all out with the usage of a word, no one can and most probably are not interested in stopping you. All we can do is say our piece, and leave it up to you from there.

And no, we sub more than Yugioh.

PS: Anyway, in order to not stray from topic anymore, I will propose we end this with a conclusion and put the matter to rest; regardless of whether the word exist or not. (Personally, I firmly stand on the side that says "Anyway" is the proper way to go, dictionary or not (Or we could check with Queen's English). But I won't deny the existence of "Anyways" since there are people who use it.)

Last edited by alphastickmania; 2011-02-19 at 16:15.
Old 2011-02-19, 16:48   Link #24
cyberbeing

You claimed that "anyways" was not a word, and then went on to say the Oxford English Dictionary, and any other dictionary that listed the word, was inaccurate. I took issue with that.

You've also still failed to realize that the dictionary actually supported your stance on "anyways", instead choosing to reject it as a bad source...

What this really boils down to, is before you make bold statements which criticize someones editing, be prepared to back up your words. It seems clear that all you had was your personal opinion, without any true knowledge of whether that opinion was mildly correct or not.

Overuse of colloquialisms, is indeed something all editors should attempt to avoid, when possible.
Old 2011-02-20, 00:24   Link #25
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Firstly, I would like to apologise if I came off on a wrong footing and have offended you in any way.

Secondly, I want to clarify that I was not trying to say the dictionary was wrong, but rather say that since it was used so much at some point of time, it made its way into the dictionary. (For the count, I admit that I didn't see the "hidden in plain sight" dialect and illiterate written in that snapshot.) -_-;

Thirdly, I'm still more than willing to back up my words, beyond the extent of it being personal opinion, but not any further for now. >:|

Lastly, I still feel that it was great that someone would go through such lengths and discuss/debate about it so thanks for your time. With this, I will be better prepared in making a stand about this in future if need be.
Old 2011-03-01, 18:05   Link #26
Badskater
Master of the Whip
*Fansubber

Going back to the topic.

Ryugan tends to use a 2 editors system, but in a different way, but on final, it looks like that. To keep consistencies between both editors, we use a guide that both of them discuss almost everytime they see themselves on skype or IRC. I think it can be useful if the 2nd editor do as Merines tends to do, so a kind of QC for consistency and errors that can be done by the 1st one. We all know nobody is perfect, so that's why i prefer to use a double check system on my group. (Cause, even if your editor is the "best" around, he'll still do some errors.)
Badskater is offline   Reply With Quote