AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-08-09, 05:35   Link #761
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Sorry but no, it's taken.
Is it possible to get a "!" or a "~" or a "~!" behind it then? Or is that strictly illegal? D:
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 11:41   Link #762
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Pretty much any symbol is valid: KORA!, KORA!!, -KORA-, [KORA], ~KORA~, KORA♥, _KORA_ you can even use kanji. Note that lower or uppercase does not matter, ie. Kora = kORa = KORA etc. However the case you choose will be the one we all see, regardless of which one you use on login.
Old 2011-08-09, 16:42   Link #763
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^Indeed, hyphens are supposedly allowed. However, if you look just one page back you'll see that someone requested his name with hyphens, and if not allowed, without ; His name ended up being without them. Makes me wonder why... Are there several different moderators here doing the name change and each of them has different ideas on what is allowed and what is not..? I really doubt all those symbols you wrote as '' valid '' will be allowed though. Just because the forum software may let you use such username doesn't mean you can use one if it conflicts with rules.

Also btw kanji is not allowed. I'm pretty sure I or someone else asked this couple years back when I had joined the forum and I'm pretty sure I was told something along the lines that as the forum is in English, you're going to have to use an username that can actually be typed - Not one that people have to copy/paste to address each another. So if I wanted to use kanji I'd have to settle with using them in my title.
Old 2011-08-09, 17:19   Link #764
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Pretty sure it's supported by the software. And just having it partially kanji would solve the issue you mention.
Old 2011-08-10, 00:15   Link #765
Dist

I just said it's supported by the software, didn't I? I also said that just because it's supported by software doesn't mean you can use such names if they conflict with the rules of the forum.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:22   Link #766
relentlessflame

*Administrator

In general terms, I would say as follows:

1. All user names must use only basic latin characters (no accents)
2. All user names should start with a letter
3. Use of punctuation and special symbols are discouraged, especially if it might cause confusion between two active members
3a. We don't allow user names to have multiple special symbols in a row

So if we're given the choice between a username with punctuation and without, we would choose without. And if at all possible, it would better for people to have unique usernames that won't be easily confounded with another member based only on the inclusion of a symbol. (The memberbase isn't so huge that it's impossible to find unique and interesting names.)

I'll see if I can get these points codified and added to the opening post in order to reduce future confusion.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:42   Link #767
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No offense, but those rules you came up with are really random. All you're missing is some 8 character limit.
Old 2011-08-11, 12:07   Link #768
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
No offense, but those rules you came up with are really random. All you're missing is some 8 character limit.
They're a compilation of the rules that are already applied when you try to create a new forum account, and other previous staff discussion (from before I became a mod). The point is, essentially, that your nickname should look like a name that people can easily recognize and type. Anyway, will get it codified to reduce future confusion.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:27   Link #769
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The point is, essentially, that your nickname should look like a name that people can easily recognize and type.
That's the problem, things don't work like that. Everyone works more or less on visual recognition more so then cognitive one. Hence why for example we can read even giberish, heck if we're talking about posts, most people just recognize posters by their avatar, and the names might as well be pictures—I know quite a few cases where I would have no problem recognizing the person but could hardly read their name much less write it, or would take a while before I actually took notice of what the words in their name actually were (eg. you).

In the case of (1), accents actually don't matter, first of all Cliche and Cliché are equal at a glance, and are theoretically the same word in most languages. This is because the fancy symbols you see are for pronunciation (as some languages differ from english in that "words are written exactly as they are pronounced"); and there are many more such symbols then accents. If you really don't want confusion between your users, then your approach of not allowing accents is completely wrong, just set the appropriate collation, problem solved.

Going back to the idea of "easy to type" you suggest, do you think for example your name is easy to type? or pelly's name is easy to type? Typing a strange word is harder then typing a full sentence, because when we type words in a sentence we type them by reflex but when we type strange words like the one you madeup for your name we have to remember each letter in it, in case of short/strange words, or make an awkward word association composition (in particular words with a lot of double-lettering are annoying to type). If your name had been relentlessFLAME or [relentless]flame!! or \00134relentless-#-flame/ it's actually easier to type since for all of those cases I can easily (and intuitively) shorten your name to flame (or relentless). Why is flame more likely then relentless? it has nothing to do with what I want to call you and more to do with it being a lot shorter and simpler word. Six character (or less, typically 4 seems to be a popular number) are easy to pickup (ie. read), as well as easy to gobble up and spit out; hence why nicknames people might give each other generally go in that range.

As for special character. Special characters (no matter how complicated the pattern) are very easy to ignore, since we generally give them no more importance then punctuation, particularly when they are used more like decoration. Of course names containing only symbols are bad and since most on the forum see kanji no different then a symbol obviously a name with only kanji might come off as confusing, though you would still be able to recognize it (for the most part). Numbers aren't all that different since we don't see digits and letters as the same thing, so something like naruto1234 or 1234break are pretty straight forward (most people are also used to seeing numbers in usernames).

Also, have you considered how the other consequences of these arbitrary rules. Let's say I visit another forum and I go by 1234break, it's a pretty simple and unique name other people here, that go there would recognize, so how much damage are you thus doing by forcing me to chose a different name "my friends" won't recognize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They're a compilation of the rules that are already applied when you try to create a new forum account, and other previous staff discussion (from before I became a mod).
Fair enough. Though I'd rather you not rely so much on decisions made in another time when people were concerned by other things. The past will never catch up the present.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:35   Link #770
relentlessflame

*Administrator

This is a request thread, not a discussion thread, so I don't want to get into a "debate" about this here (and frankly, I personally don't want to debate it at all; my only goal was to try to clarify what the policy appears to be since there appeared to be confusion). I'll get the feedback of the other staff and update the first post with the decision about what will be permitted.
Old 2011-08-11, 15:57   Link #771
Aqua Knight

Can you change my name to Aqua_Protector, please?
Old 2011-08-11, 17:21   Link #772
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

^ That underscore in the name is unnecessary and may cause your name to look wierd on browsers where underlines do not cover underscores.
Old 2011-08-12, 12:38   Link #773
Aqua Knight

Ok, then change it into Aqua Knight please.

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by Aqua Knight; 2011-08-12 at 15:53.
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 12:47   Link #774
Kasirgan
Combat Detective IN SPACE

Requesting name changed to be just Kasirgan. Many, many thanks if possible.
Kasirgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 14:29   Link #775
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Requesting change name too xxmimixx ?

Thanks =]
Old 2011-08-20, 10:06   Link #776
calorie

Can I please have my username changed to calorie ?
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 20:45   Link #777
Peanutbutter

Hi, requesting to remove the 003 in my name.

Just "Peanutbutter" will be enough.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 22:24   Link #778
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
Requesting name change.
Just wishing to take the Sakuran off the end where it's just Seishin.
Old 2011-08-22, 14:23   Link #779
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
Requesting name change.
Just wishing to take the Sakuran off the end where it's just Seishin.
The name "Seishin" was taken, but with zero posts and long time (7 years) inactive. Therefore change granted.
Old 2011-08-22, 15:06   Link #780
Dist

^How'd you find that user? I searched for Seishin and it came up with only two names, which neither were just Seishin.

Tags
request