AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-06, 10:20   Link #18881
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
I just love how Mikoto's awakening has become a running joke among us.
I do too, at least it got better, I remember the time when oeople demanded to have Mikoto awakening.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:23   Link #18882
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
*flashback*
Oh that. You do have a good memory.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:25   Link #18883
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I do too, at least it got better, I remember the time when oeople demanded to have Mikoto awakening.
After awhile I just learn to roll with the punches.

Half of you guys are idiots anyway... And the others are just on crack...>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Oh that. You do have a good memory.
Ahaha yeah... Certain types of girls have that effect on me.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:27   Link #18884
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Ahaha yeah... Certain types of girls have that effect on me.
Well, hope you continuously remember things around me

Wait..... I just realized something: Was it ever stated that she IS twelve, or just that she LOOKS like she's twelve?
Old 2012-07-06, 10:29   Link #18885
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:

Wait..... I just realized something: Was it ever stated that she IS twelve, or just that she looks like she's twelve?
http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com...Kinuhata_Saiai

Official Index Wiki says she is, so it must be true.....
Old 2012-07-06, 10:30   Link #18886
Sumeragi
Banned

It's been known to make mistakes. Pole dancing being written down as ball dancing

Old 2012-07-06, 10:31   Link #18887
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
>.>
>.>
>.>

Quote:
Wait..... I just realized something: Was it ever stated that she IS twelve, or just that she looks like she's twelve?
yeah, confirmed in vol 19 chap 1 part 2; just use the word find and input '12'.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:33   Link #18888
Miraluka
Banned

The great Eye is gonna cry at your post.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:35   Link #18889
Sumeragi
Banned

*Feels a part of her mind cracking*

A kiddie is fine too.....

(Okay, to be serious: I'm going to check the Japanese original for that sentence)
Old 2012-07-06, 10:37   Link #18890
leukrota

Kuroyoru Umidori is also about 12, so we might expect all the kids from the dark may project to be around that age.

Quote:
It's been known to make mistakes. Pole dancing being written down as ball dancing
Which reminds me, is there an estimate about how old is Maria? I don't wanna feel bad about imagining her pole dance practice...
Old 2012-07-06, 10:40   Link #18891
Miraluka
Banned

I recall her being 13 or 14.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:49   Link #18892
Sumeragi
Banned

It's a bit difficult to calculate Maria's age. Within the novel there is no indication that Maria was a student of the elementary school where Kagun did what he did three years ago from the present time. This means that Maria's age can range from 12 (sixth grade elementary school) to 17 (second year of high school).
Old 2012-07-06, 10:55   Link #18893
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Well her sister is the sempai of Touma so at best she is 1 year younger
Old 2012-07-06, 11:26   Link #18894
leukrota

Well, she could be a younger twin... I know, I know, fraternal twins in anime are practically impossible.

At any rate, if she's 15-16 it's not so bad.
Old 2012-07-06, 13:16   Link #18895
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I really think it's just a matter of perspective, then...

Though assuming I'm wrong and you don't have to be 'special' to 'awaken', then how does the esper ability mechanics in IndexVerse support the theory that espers in general can 'awaken'? How would Personal Realities and AIM fields controlling one factor such as heat, water, or telekinetic forces get you to that level of power? Even if we disregard the 'special' trait as a factor, being able to manipulate AIM fields in general, involving multiple factors, seem to be a prerequisite in 'Awakening', so to speak (eg, Vector Change = reflect many kinds of energy, not just AIM, Dark Matter = more than one kind of material created, Aiwass & Kazakiri as Artificial Angels made of many different kind of AIM fields and can manipulate them to a degree (Wings of Light, sword of light)).
We've kind of veered away from the point I was trying to make, tbh.

I less wanted to argue that everyone can 'Awaken' and more wanted to make the point that we have no fucking clue about the entire concept, including how or why it comes about or who its possible to come about in.

But since you brought up discussion topic....

Accelerator and Kakine have very versitile powers, but they still hold true to a single core ability, just like every other Esper. They are exceptionally powerful, and after awakening have a hint of the divine, but they are still, at their core, Espers.

You could make an argument that Kakine's matter creation is special, but Accelerator's power is manipulation of energy, which isn't much different from most other abilities. Only that its more emcompassing.

So if we take a Pyrokinetic for example. He's control and power rises until he eventually he gets to Level 5. To get to this point, he needs tons of knowledge on pretty much anything to due with fire - which includes heat, the ways heat disapates, how it affects the air, smoke, whatever you can think of to do with fire, this guy has to know it.

And then something happens - maybe he encouters Styl or something. And now he knows something new about fire. And as he processes it, 'Awakens'

That's basically what happened with Kakine - Accelerator used a new kind of Dark Matter, and Kakine awakened as a result.

I have 2 ideas about awakening.

The basic for both is that you need to reach a certain level of power and control (Level 5), and then either 1) your personal reality undergoes a massive shift and 'Awakening' results. 2) you conciously or unconciously process something magical or divine in nature, and gain new abilities as a result.

Well, we can speculate all we want (which I enjoy) but we don't know for sure.

Quote:
Speaking of where 'awakening' is discussed in the LNs... "Awakening" is a fan-made term. IIRC nowhere in the LN sections about Accelerator's black wings or Kakine's own abilities are they explicitly named as "Awakening". The word "Awakening" is never used to describe Kakine and Accelerator.
Yeah, I know. I realized when I was looking this stuff up the other day, though I'd suspected for awhile.

Well, anyway, the reason I got on this topic is because people here and on other forums seem to have accepted certain theories, which is fair enough, except that they treat it as gospel truth, when we actually know next to nothing on the topic.
Old 2012-07-06, 13:42   Link #18896
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
This awakening business seems like just an excuse to give characters a sudden power up so they can introduce some ridiculously powerful enemies in the future. Worst case scenerio this ends up like Bleach where they get multiple power up or "Awakened" forms.
No I highly doubt that will happen, Kamachi is far too skilled of a writer for that. Power growth in this series is generally the characters growing more experienced, and getting smarter with their powers. As for that worst case scenario; the only thing really like that is Accelerator's black wings becoming white wings and it's never said that the white wings make him stronger just they make him not a psychopathic murderer like the black wings did. Also Touma's 'invisible demon' thing but we don't know nearly enough about that to speculate.
Old 2012-07-06, 14:25   Link #18897
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Funny the only person who have had a power up is Fiamma and he was already insanely strong at that point of the story anyways.
Old 2012-07-06, 17:25   Link #18898
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
*Feels a part of her mind cracking*

A kiddie is fine too.....

(Okay, to be serious: I'm going to check the Japanese original for that sentence)
Sumeragi, very unlikely Kamachi is going to hit us with the age curve ball... And when he does he would straight up tell us- like that Ninja obaa-san that looks like a loli.

So if all 3 volumes (15/19/NT1) has placed the number '12' anywhere near Saiai, it's pretty safe to say that's her age.

Besides, it's not like you'll get into any real trouble by violating her....Repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Which reminds me, is there an estimate about how old is Maria? I don't wanna feel bad about imagining her pole dance practice...
With a body like that I'm pretty sure she's Highschool material... At worst, late middle school.
Old 2012-07-06, 18:41   Link #18899
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

After reading these few posts, I'm starting to see that Chaos is building up quite a harem... Kamijyou Disease?
Old 2012-07-06, 19:21   Link #18900
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That's just an Illusion.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen