AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-05, 08:04   Link #1
arcadeplayer987

Compressing program

Does anyone know any good compressing program??
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 08:22   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It would help if we knew what sort of files you wanted to compress since this will effect the answer.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 10:28   Link #3
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
try 7-zip its a good program for compressing and its free
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 23:20   Link #4
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Well...in the mainstream there are WinZIP, WinRAR, 7Zip, and Stuffit. I'll break these down for you:

WinZIP (.zip) is probably the most popular program and .zip the most popular compression scheme. Windows has natively supported its .zip format since XP.

WinRAR (.rar) is WinZIP's close competitor, and is marginally better than the .zip compression scheme. If I remember correctly, WinZIP holds to .zip and its derivatives along and doesn't support .rar files. WinRAR as a program supports ZIP files along with a large growing list of others.

7Zip (.7z) performs much better when it comes to compression, but it's not very widespread as a file. WinRAR can read 7Zip files, but so far cannot create them - only the original 7Zip program can.

Stuffit is a far less known utility that lives mostly in the Apple family, and there isn't much use for it outside of that.

There really isn't much else if you want anyone other than yourself to use the files that you're compressing - some compression schemes require one single special program that must be installed. I use WinRAR, by the way, just because it's very versatile.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 01:15   Link #5
jpwong

You also need to be aware that you won't get good compression using any of these programs if the files you are trying to compress are already compressed.

Most Video and music files won't get compressed much further (we're talking maybe 1-2%) because they're already compressed files.

Just saying that since I've seen people ask here about compression before thinking that winrar or something is going to cut their anime filesize in half or something. It doesn't work like that.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 13:23   Link #6
arcadeplayer987

I was using WinRar to compress a movie iso image 4.5Gb but no luck, the result was only a few mb less
Old 2008-01-07, 14:17   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
I was using WinRar to compress a movie iso image 4.5Gb but no luck, the result was only a few mb less
ISO is one of those files that jpwong mentioned: they can't get any smaller, really. Text files (.txt, .doc, .rtf, .htm) and picture files (.jpg, .gif, etc.) are the most compressible.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 14:25   Link #8
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

You can always split the files if you just want to burn it off your HD.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 16:13   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If you're talking about a DVD movie ISO image, then there are actually tons of ways to make it smaller, as long as you don't mind messing with the DVD structure.

To save a few MB (and make it fit on a single layer DVD+R) you can take out things like logo's and other extras, or even taking out whole audio tracks (like commentary etc) and the menu (if you don't care about it).

Or if you really need to shrink the size down there are applications that can re-encode the video of a DVD movie without changing the structure using DVD Shrink (which isn't the best quality solution, but the easiest).

If the DVD iso is really huge (8 GB) and you don't want to mess with the video quality, you can even split a DVD movie while keeping the menu's intact with DVDFab (although these days DL discs aren't so expensive anymore).

It's been a while since I tried anything like that though, so if you need help on doing this, try www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:12   Link #10
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
You can always split the files if you just want to burn it off your HD.
How can I split the image in 2 pieces, with what??
Old 2008-01-08, 19:34   Link #11
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
How can I split the image in 2 pieces, with what??
If you just want to store the dvd data, you can do that in WinRar and 7Zip. "Store" the image in an archive (no compression) and select the option to split into whatever-sized chunks you need; 7Zip gives you options for floppy, CD (650M & 700M) and DVD (4480M). Of course, now it's unplayable/inaccessible until you copy it back onto HD and unarchive.

If you're talking about splitting a movie into 2 playable/viewable video files, check the videohelp.com guides.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 16:21   Link #12
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
If you just want to store the dvd data, you can do that in WinRar and 7Zip. "Store" the image in an archive (no compression) and select the option to split into whatever-sized chunks you need; 7Zip gives you options for floppy, CD (650M & 700M) and DVD (4480M). Of course, now it's unplayable/inaccessible until you copy it back onto HD and unarchive.

If you're talking about splitting a movie into 2 playable/viewable video files, check the videohelp.com guides.
ok thanks for the help