AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-06-25, 09:27   Link #1981
BPD Renegade

Thanks for the references. You guys are awesome helpful!

The material will take a while to get through. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is much more focus on the Silver/Gold characters.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 18:17   Link #1982
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Yeah, that one novel actually covers both Kuroh and Neko's pasts (as they hang out in a love hotel, lol) but I can't think of any side material I've seen that touches on Gold though.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 18:19   Link #1983
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I've seen summaries for the novels (I think they were, K Side Red, K Side Blue, and then the one concerning Shiro/Kuro/Neko whose name I can't recall).
Side Black and White
Old 2014-06-26, 20:24   Link #1984
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Side Black and White
This is mostly Team Silver, but there is info about Weissman and Kokojouji as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Thanks for the references. You guys are awesome helpful!

The material will take a while to get through. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is much more focus on the Silver/Gold characters.
Unfortunely...and I mean no offense to their fans...but HOMRA and Munakata stole the damn series. Especially the Skater prat and his equally annoying boyfriend.

I like the rest of Scepter 4 though, thanks to the manga. Andy is such a goofus.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-06-26 at 20:49. Reason: Please do not double post in the future; simply use the edit button. :)
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 22:50   Link #1985
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Unfortunely...and I mean no offense to their fans...but HOMRA and Munakata stole the damn series. Especially the Skater prat and his equally annoying boyfriend.

I like the rest of Scepter 4 though, thanks to the manga. Andy is such a goofus.
Eh, I don't think Skater-boy & Glasses stole the series. At least, in the anime, it didn't really feel like they did anything significant to make themselves stand out (besides the skateboard fights). I didn't really see how the relationship between the two became popular, or even why it was a thing until reading the Days of Blue manga. The anime seemed to be pushing Red/Blue more than anything.

(You don't really need to put any goggles on for most of these. The anime was clearly hinting at/pushing for Red-Blue, Kuro-Neko-Shiro, bartender & Blue girl, Class President Girl & her assistant, classmate (Kururi?) & rooftop guy, Blue-Kuro, Skater-Glasses, Silver-Silver's sister-Gold, etc. etc. etc......) Sorry if I offended anyone with the list.

Days of Blue has been a fun read though. A lot of parts make me think the writer is secretly a Gintama fan (the kotatsu chapter & the mayo...). It was a surprise to realize the members in Scepter4 are so young. It's almost like reading a manga about a bunch of guys hanging out in their college dorm and their woes with their RA (Munakata).
Old 2014-06-28, 22:25   Link #1986
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Eh, I don't think Skater-boy & Glasses stole the series. At least, in the anime, it didn't really feel like they did anything significant to make themselves stand out (besides the skateboard fights). I didn't really see how the relationship between the two became popular, or even why it was a thing until reading the Days of Blue manga. The anime seemed to be pushing Red/Blue more than anything.
It's less that they stole the anime and more that they stole all the side materials (and merchandise, it's so hard to find merchandise for the Silver characters!)
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 02:10   Link #1987
BlueMiranda

Quote:
It's less that they stole the anime and more that they stole all the side materials (and merchandise, it's so hard to find merchandise for the Silver characters!)
I agree about the merch (and the fanworks, heh), but I don't think they stole all the side material. Right now there is one novel and one manga that focus primarly on them. As for the rest, the silver clan got their own novel, Kuroh got his own manga, the blue novel focuses on Munakata, the red one on Mikoto and Anna etc., so there's material to find about most of the major characters. The same goes for drama CDs and short stories. Sure, Days of blue has focused a lot on Fushimi, but it's still mostly about the interactions among the blues.

That said, it would be nice to know more about the clans that weren't mentioned much in the anime. Seems like there's some info about the greens in the Lost small world novel, but I don't know how detailed it is.
BlueMiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 05:08   Link #1988
tuckersister

Just a couple more days til the Anime Expo premeires K Missing Kings.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 04:29   Link #1989
tuckersister

I forgot that link that I can go to find the movie's spoilers when it comes out.

I wonder if Kuro and Neko pick up German or German phrases in the movie.
Old 2014-07-03, 19:57   Link #1990
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Dude, seriously...it is! And almost every fucking fanart or fanfic is some variation of Fushimi/Saru yaoi or Muna/Mikoto yaoi. I don't have anything against yaoi; I just never really cared much for Munakata or Suoh and I fucking HATE Fushimi/Saru. But that's me.

Though I follow some K sites on tumblr and a lot of the KMK merchandise coming out does feature Kuroh anyway.
Old 2014-07-04, 17:32   Link #1991
BPD Renegade

I've been using a site that has a nice list of all the translated media available for K. Decided to go the Blue route first, and after finishing Days of Blue and the Scepter4 short stories, I have to say it's a shame the anime took such a cursory approach. Some of these stories were quite fun to read, and the other members of the special unit are amusing. It's a shame they received the fodder treatment.

Expanding further, I now realize my problem with K. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like each character is created by a different person (Red, Orange, Yellow, etc.), and the "side" material is where each character receives "proper" exhibition and development, and their quirks and personalities are displayed. The anime K is where all of these individual characters come together to form a story. It's almost like what happened with the Marvel Cinematic Universe -- the superheroes all got their own movie where their background and characterization is developed, and then the Avengers is where they all come together and stuff happens. The problem with K's approach is the sheer amount of media that's needed to fully appreciate the overarching product.

If this project was meant to be predominantly sustained in Japan, this might be fine, since everything is more accessible for the intended audience. However, the movie is being premiered across different countries ahead of Japan's release. This clearly shows the intention to make it bigger than just a domestic product. But if this is so, then all materials relevant to the overall understanding of the plot and its characters should be readily made available to non-domestic consumers. With K, if it weren't for a dedicated fanbase, everyone except a couple handful of characters would be dismissible, and even then those handful of characters the anime focuses on come with gaping holes in characterization and the question: "Besides their relevance to the plot, why should I care?"

In other words, I realized that I dislike the multi-media approach. Maybe the idea is too progressive and I'm being closed-minded, but I feel that a story should be predominantly one form -- manga, anime, light novel, etc. -- and all alternative representations (including OVAs, CDs, etc.) should either be adaptations or extraneous information that enhances the experience and is unnecessary toward the completion of the original medium.

Yes, it can be argued that if we treat the K anime as the "original" medium, it did in fact complete its intended purpose of telling a story (i.e., Totsuka's murder and its repercussions); however, if that were it's only purpose, there was no need to emphasize other potential subplots.

In the end, I think I might not have minded so much if everything came together to form one cohesive unit; but from what I've seen so far, despite some holes being filled in, everything is still scattered. As much as I enjoyed Days of Blue, it did little to address the anime subplots (sans the necessary Fushimi-Yata emphasis for the fans). It seems like either the staff doesn't want to put in the effort to mold everything together for a specific purpose, or from the beginning, they intended K to purely be a project that milks as much money from every form of media as possible. Or both. I could be jumping the gun in my assessment -- it's still in-progress, and I haven't gotten around to the other material/Clans yet -- but for now, it is how it is.

Phew~. I meant to just say I was enjoying the side material and somehow it turned into this long-winded... I don't know what this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Dude, seriously...it is! And almost every fucking fanart or fanfic is some variation of Fushimi/Saru yaoi or Muna/Mikoto yaoi. I don't have anything against yaoi; I just never really cared much for Munakata or Suoh and I fucking HATE Fushimi/Saru. But that's me.

Though I follow some K sites on tumblr and a lot of the KMK merchandise coming out does feature Kuroh anyway.
The movie PV makes it seem like there will be a lot of emphasis on Kuro...

Anyone going to Anime Expo? If I didn't have prior obligations, I might have paid the exorbitant rate to see the movie and bring back details (and do other stuff of course). But, alas.

--Edit--
I think from now on, I will stop thinking too hard about this and just enjoy the side material. It will be much more pleasant.

Last edited by BPD Renegade; 2014-07-04 at 19:16.
Old 2014-07-04, 21:51   Link #1992
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Oh I am soooooooooooooooooooooo ready to hear spoilers about that movie since it ain't coming anywhere near me anyway which means I'll have to see it on dvd or stream it once it hits fansubs.

And yes, the movie is supposed to focus on Kuro and Yata. I also get death flags for some people, judging by the trailer.
Old 2014-07-04, 22:19   Link #1993
tuckersister

Yeah, can't wait for the spoilers for the movie tomorrow.
Old 2014-07-05, 07:50   Link #1994
tuckersister

The spoilers and review is on tumblir now.

Spoiler for K Missing Kings..some of them:

Last edited by tuckersister; 2014-07-05 at 08:31.
Old 2014-07-05, 11:21   Link #1995
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

There better be a season two after that!

Spoiler:
Old 2014-07-05, 16:54   Link #1996
BPD Renegade

Wait a minute. These can't be from Anime Expo, right? Because it doesn't air for another half hour...

Spoiler for :
Old 2014-07-05, 18:03   Link #1997
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The spoilers did not have the information I want.....
Did Anna successfully hacked the Slate or not? This probably will be the most important thing in the movie.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 18:15   Link #1998
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersister View Post
The spoilers and review is on tumblir now.

Spoiler for K Missing Kings..some of them:
Thanks for the spoilers. I appreciate, I honestly couldn't wait so long for subs to come out going unspoiled.

Now I'm content until the sub comes out.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 19:12   Link #1999
BPD Renegade

Behold. Be spoiled.

http://hikikomori-sama.tumblr.com/post/90853922892
Old 2014-07-05, 21:16   Link #2000
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Yep. that's where I got the spoilers from.

And if this doesn't guarantee a season two after DAT ENDING with Muna? Then GORA be fucking trolling....

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural