AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.16%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 25.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 6.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.16%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.16%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-14, 17:05   Link #21
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Makishima is too beast mode. I can't remember the last time I've straight up rooted for a villain. I hope he comes out of all this alive. Best anime protagonist in years.

The "truth" of the Sybyl system was kind of predictable though. I'm sure everyone guessed it was some form of "humans".
Old 2013-02-14, 17:11   Link #22
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
The "truth" of the Sybyl system was kind of predictable though. I'm sure everyone guessed it was some form of "humans".
There was very little else it could be, since it was suppose to be a "horror" the possible options are very small. Extra Credit's recent video on the subject actually fits in well with the episode and why it is how it is.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:20   Link #23
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

a member of the Division 2 "disappeared"? killed by the Chief too? -_-' lol...
Old 2013-02-14, 17:31   Link #24
Hakuromatsu

I finally realized "Psycho-Pass" has the same katakana as "psychopath." Was I late on that one?
Old 2013-02-14, 17:32   Link #25
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
I finally realized "Psycho-Pass" has the same katakana as "psychopath." Was I late on that one?
Yes! ....
Old 2013-02-14, 17:39   Link #26
Entravity

The revelation about the Sibyl System isn't completely surprising but I didn't expect them to reveal it in such a way. Interesting stuff even though some of it has largely been guessed. I'm glad that the story is gaining more momentum again because if it didn't we probably wouldn't have enough build-up to the end.

Still, can't ignore some contrivances like how the aircraft is so easily taken over by Makishima. The supposed advanced cybernetic body lost so easily. Oh well.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:45   Link #27
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Wow the truth to the system is pretty crazy. Was i the only one cheering as Makishima was beating up the chief? Interesting that the guy i disliked turned into a guy i would cheer for. I hope Kagari is alright, but it doesn't look good. Wonder how they'll get on the trail to truth now as they try and recapture Makishima.
Nope I always love Maki,and man this episode slapped me in the face for questioning where the plot would go from the last episode. And we learned more about Maki this ep he really is just a joker with out the sense of humor but one who wants to main event more.

The cybernetic body lost cause Maki got the jump on it fast. And the current user is not no where near as skilled as maki in combat seeing as how they were caught long before maki. And Touma was exspecting maki to join as I said you don't trust maki. When you are around some one like that you think 20 steps ahead just to so much as breathe because they are truly unpredictable. If only he had a more savage and unpredictable fighting style to match his personality.

To put it simple Sibyl can not stop Makishima he is truely unpredictable vs a system that runs on guessing what some one will do.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:48   Link #28
Hakuromatsu

I wonder if the Sybil system logarithmically approaches "godhood" -- with each new brain, does the system make the existence of criminally asymptotic individuals (i.e. those who subconsciously "cheat" that system through their social deviance) more and more difficult? To rephrase that, if Makishima were added to the system, would that prevent a hypothetical Makishima clone in society from being criminally asymptotic? If that's the case, it would become harder and harder to "cheat" the system and Sybil's judgment would approach perfection very quickly. Sybil did seem particularly anxious to add Makishima's brain to the system.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:54   Link #29
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

episode responses

-It's established that Psychopass world has military dedicated drones...quite large ones actually. I'm sure this is going to start all sorts of shenanigans in the discussions over the drones inability to just role in and lethally zap the helmet guys in episode 15. Military drones that couldn't target individuals based on such distinctive features as having helmets like that... wouldn't be very useful for national defense. Infantry anti tank teams could just waltz up to them and shoot them without so much as a response. (Which should be a big deal, cause as we find out later, Japan is the only country to use the Sybl system).

-Kougami and and Akane have a heart to heart talk. As someone who had faith in the system, Akane is a bit shook up, perhaps even feeling a little foolish at the moment.

-The Judiciary has been abolished eh? That certainly makes you wonder how they deal with white collar crimes...unless psycho pass scanning is really that effective at discerning dudes.

-The Sybll system isn't just a hive mind of criminals being used as processors...it's LITERALLY the brain hivemind of these 250 people.

I can understand now why keeping this secret would absolutely essential, even more so than if you were just using brains as computers. Because the way the director explains it...the Sybll system is essentially an oligarchy run by 250 extreme sociopaths.

...these guys must be pretty used to getting their way all the time. Cause it doesn't seem like there were ANY precautions on that airplane to Makishima trying to escape aside from this one drone.
Old 2013-02-14, 17:55   Link #30
Dop
Mmmm....

Spoiler for Episode 17:
Old 2013-02-14, 18:05   Link #31
BoyTitan

Now then what Maki does with that camera will determine if he is a good or bad guy. Please to the good thing Maki I like you to much to be truely evil do not keep the camera for yourself or use it to mess with the protagonist heads and split them against each other or anything =(. Then again I will still cheer for Maki
Old 2013-02-14, 18:06   Link #32
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
So let's summarize: They have ZERO security on or with the transport that's carrying the biggest criminal of recent decades so he brings it down and escapes by himself. And these guys supposedly run Japan. Alright..

It's really a big shame, the series really was going great until ep 11 but went steadily downhill since then as the supposed twists came rolling in. Each one is worse than the previous unfortunately.
The fact that the Sybil system is essentially an oligarchy of 250 people who are actively running society in secret kinda makes the lack of security precautions in this society kinda crazy. 250 oligrachs who had to run everything in secret should be ALLOT more security conscious, and far more willing to roll in the robot tanks set to kill when the rioting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
So the Sibyl System's greatest enemy would be a zombie invasion, then?
No. The biggest threat to the Sybil system would be 10 guys armed with real combat weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Now then what Maki does with that camera will determine if he is a good or bad guy. Please to the good thing Maki I like you to much to be truely evil do not keep the camera for yourself or use it to mess with the protagonist heads and split them against each other or anything =(. Then again I will still cheer for Maki
Maki?

I think you're forgetting that Makishima is an amoral sociopath...just like all the Sybil system is at this point is just a country club of Amoral sociopaths like him.
Old 2013-02-14, 18:17   Link #33
Ultramarinus
Disputatio exaro nex

Yeah, I find it rather hilarious that one guy has the ability to topple a country with just his fists. I could buy it if I was watching Kenshiro.

So they have gigantic Tachikomas with cannons but they cannot assign multiple security drones to a prisoner transport. Suspension of disbelief has a limit and they went past it during this episode multiple times.

Oh God, I'm now just wishing that they won't screw up GitS Arise this bad. I'd literally tear my TV in half.
Old 2013-02-14, 18:20   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Weird.... I see "fear" in the eyes of Chief.. as if she's human....
Old 2013-02-14, 18:22   Link #35
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
No. The biggest threat to the Sybil system would be 10 guys armed with real combat weapons.
This would only be true if all ten of them have the same condition as Makishima, unable of being judged by Sybil. Otherwise they'll be fodder for the Dominators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
I wonder if the Sybil system logarithmically approaches "godhood" -- with each new brain, does the system make the existence of criminally asymptotic individuals (i.e. those who subconsciously "cheat" that system through their social deviance) more and more difficult? To rephrase that, if Makishima were added to the system, would that prevent a hypothetical Makishima clone in society from being criminally asymptotic? If that's the case, it would become harder and harder to "cheat" the system and Sybil's judgment would approach perfection very quickly. Sybil did seem particularly anxious to add Makishima's brain to the system.
True, there are probably no two people with the same abnormal personality in the system.
I believe Makishima was the only one who actively sought out criminals and helped them by providing all the tools for their crimes. Touma was arrested for that jelly mutilation (I think?), but so far it sounded like Makishima was the deciding factor in motivating Touma to commit crimes.
If the other brains are similar to Touma, from his short conversation, they were psychopaths who wanted to be understood, while Makishima tries to understand others motives' etc.
Old 2013-02-14, 18:28   Link #36
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The Chief IS a human being. Sybil IS human beings. They're just HUMAN BRAINS

Quote:
Yeah, I find it rather hilarious that one guy has the ability to topple a country with just his fists. I could buy it if I was watching Kenshiro.

So they have gigantic Tachikomas with cannons but they cannot assign multiple security drones to a prisoner transport. Suspension of disbelief has a limit and they went past it during this episode multiple times.
Get in line for thinking this is goofy. Everyone's been noting Psycho-Pass Japan as being implausibly unsecure since the helmet head rampage! It being so security lax on the plane seems pretty standard for something this incompetent already.

Frankly I'm enjoying this so far. It's gotten rather over the top, but I'm loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
This would only be true if all ten of them have the same condition as Makishima, unable of being judged by Sybil. Otherwise they'll be fodder for the Dominators.
No they won't. Dominators need to lock onto and scan a target before they can be fired. If you have a rapid fire weapon that doesn't have such a lock on feature, you can effectively prevent any enforcers/inspectors from shooting you outside of ambush via suppression fire. And considering that this entire city only has about 12 armed police...

Now that I think about it, Christopher Dorner could destroy this entire society by himself if you dropped him into the city with a rifle and a map to the HUMAN BRAINS
Old 2013-02-14, 18:30   Link #37
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Well she is human or more like he. Despite having cyborg body, it still has human brain.

Looks like country is rules by maniacs... that's messed up. Humanity sure won't be happy to find out about it.

Though how did they plan to kill Makishima with dominator if it can't read his psycho-pass? 0_o

And no, Makishima is evil no matter what he does. He killed way too many innocent people directly and indirectly. Even if his intentions might have been good, his way of dealing wasn't. He overstepped the line.
Old 2013-02-14, 18:35   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And no, Makishima is evil no matter what he does. He killed way too many innocent people directly and indirectly. Even if his intentions might have been good, his way of dealing wasn't. He overstepped the line.
They really needs his brain....
Old 2013-02-14, 18:39   Link #39
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Now I gotta say, this episode once again went full bonkers on two accounts:

- A homicidal maniac being recruited as the director of whole ministry, not to mention right away when he was caught

- Homicidal maniac director thinking it's a good idea to stay alone with Hannibal Lecter in a room and counting on just a concealed gun

So let's summarize: They have ZERO security on or with the transport that's carrying the biggest criminal of recent decades so he brings it down and escapes by himself. And these guys supposedly run Japan. Alright..
that's exactly what disappointed me greatly about this episode

don't forget also the psychopath and hivemind connected to him thought it was a good idea to keep the camera with a video about the most secret room, which only seeing it was enouth to get eliminated, just as souvenir
while as the living proof got eliminated would have been more than sensed to eliminate other kind of proofs as well
but now, unless that camera gets forgotten in some of the free plot holes avaliable, it'll get used by shouma

back on shouma, since the director said himself they were going to assimilate him willing or not, what use was there in leaving shouma unrestrained and free to walk around in the room?
since they had already decided to add him, it would have been more safe (and they're psychos themselfes they should know something about what someone like them is able to try to pull off) to just keep shouma totally immobilized with just the use of the head for their little chit-chat
i mean, shouma wasn't the first one to get added, did they really were this lax with any other guy who got added and nothing ever happened?

the only possible excuse for such an huge fail in assimilating shouma was cause touma was planning himself to let him escape, very unlikely given how happy he looked about his condition

all this coming from an author which, maybe got overhyped, is known for being merciless with his characters(and in the previous episode was it), he seems to be twisting the story a bit too much just in the attempt to make shouma look cool

the rest of the episode was mostly descriptive, and nothing really important happened
the concept of the hivemind as social judge is interesting, and the chief has now a similar status to kyuubey with his multiple bodies :P
all the shouma hype, chief/sibyl worfing, and general uncoerence was a turnoff, or maybe the previous episodes were too good and this was the inevitable fall back to averageness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Though how did they plan to kill Makishima with dominator if it can't read his psycho-pass? 0_o
rewatch the previous episode, didn't you noticed the chief overriding the sibyl judgment and manually enabling the decomposer mode on kagari?
Old 2013-02-14, 18:51   Link #40
mistress_kisara

Episode 17
Spoiler:
Closed Thread