AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2014-02-22, 05:17   Link #1081
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
What I am interested in is why the military of another superpower (in this case, China) can afford to make all kinds of comments that each could underlie some form of threat, but officials from the Pentagon can't say what needs to be told in response. Why is that difference between US and Chinese military necessary although civilians still have the reigns of power in both countries until further notice?
Because the US has a government that has to deal with public opinion and regular people don't usually like to be the bad guys. Freedom of speech coupled with democracy tends to force government officials to think of the ramifications of what they say.
Old 2014-02-22, 07:46   Link #1082
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Because the US has a government that has to deal with public opinion and regular people don't usually like to be the bad guys. Freedom of speech coupled with democracy tends to force government officials to think of the ramifications of what they say.
What amazes me is that the Pentagon handled it pretty well, with the occasional disaster like Watergate, Iran-Contra, My-Lai, Snowden, etc.

China on the other hand, doesn't have "public opinion" to worry about. Just keyboard warriors.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 19:46   Link #1083
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Tell me, Who has the first historical-worth document that prove they are the first to explore and settle on these islands?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 20:00   Link #1084
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Settle? Far as I can tell it was Japanese fishermen in the early 1900s until 1940. The only documented case of the islands being inhabited for any real length of time. Also they were privately owned by Japanese nationals (the family who ran the company with the fishermen) until the recent purchase by the governement that sparked this recent mess.
Old 2014-02-26, 01:43   Link #1085
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Hey, did Japan's pact to America forbid them to use Mercernary or PMC?
Not really, it's in Japanese laws that any security company operating in Japanese soil can't be armed with small arms except if the said employee is a police officer or a SDF soldier.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 06:26   Link #1086
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._135507754.htm

Ruling related to the Spratlys after Manila won the case against them.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 12:45   Link #1087
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

A case where China didn't even bother to show up.

the only International law that everyone obeys is "Might Makes Right." Everything else is window dressing.
Old 2018-04-17, 08:44   Link #1088
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A review of the issues involving the various islands in dispute by an Asian scholar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hings-to-know/

I had not heard before of the ruckus caused by the inclusion of Takeshima on the flag of the Korean athletes at the Pyeong-chang Olympics.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-12, 09:48   Link #1089
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Biden assured Japanese leaders the US would observe its commitments to defend Japan under Article 5 of the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security and, according to PM Suga, included the Senkakus in this pledge.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...814_story.html (probably paywalled)

Quote:
“The President-elect underscored his deep commitment to the defense of Japan and U.S. commitments under Article 5,” Biden’s team said, referring to the two countries’ joint security treaty that commits the United States to respond to any attack on Japan.

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga went further, saying that Biden gave “a commitment” that Article 5 would cover an attack on the Senkaku Islands, a chain of five rocky outcrops administered by Japan but claimed by China, which calls them Diaoyu.

Even better for Japan, Biden brought up the issue of the Senkaku Islands, Japanese officials said. That repeats an explicit commitment made by President Barack Obama in 2014.
Old 2021-03-25, 11:23   Link #1090
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

China and the Philippines are engaged in a dispute over the presence of a Chinese flotilla currently parked at a reef within the Filipino "exclusive economic zone." The Foreign Secretary of the Philippines has suggested the country might invoke its mutual defense treaty with the US to drive the Chinese out.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...ijing-tells-us

Meanwhile the US has supported its ally in public statements. Where things go from here is anyone's guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...9ac_story.html

Tags
border, china, dispute, japan