AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-02, 17:08   Link #1
opanime

Send a message via AIM to opanime Send a message via Yahoo to opanime
thinking of a new anime direct download site....

i m not sure if ppl will wanna do this or not... but i REALLY want to do this.... if u're wondering what i m talking about then just read....

I am thinking of opening an anime site that is FULL of downloads.... its a H-U-G-E server tat is full of anime epsidoes, movies and etc.... but to do this, i need a coupple of things...

1. a new server
2. partners who are willing to share money
3. and some donations

with those 3 things we can open a huge media site known all over the anime community for free or a small fee (donate $1 - $5 to get FULL ACCESS). i know ppl use bittorrent because they have to... they have no other choice but to use it... but i know tat everybody on this forum wants direct downloads. and i wanna make tat possible.... i m still looking for server... and the servers are pretty expensive (over 250$ US)

as for me... i can chip in 50-75$ US... but tat isnt enough money to buy a server...

so if u're interested in working with me, just post here or PM me.
Old 2004-03-02, 17:12   Link #2
sothis

i dont think you realize the unrealistic nature of what you are trying to do. you would have to have an absurd amount of money to handle a ton of people direct downloading full series/movies, and not to mention, you might run into nasty legality issues, depending on what you choose to have on the site.
Old 2004-03-02, 17:16   Link #3
opanime

welll i m only planning to have un-licensed anime so i dont think i can run into any type of problems... and money wise... say if the server costs is 300$/m..... we can have 15partner who will have to pay 30$ each... therefore all of us wont be loosing a lot money.
Old 2004-03-02, 17:55   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Well, good luck finding 15 friends who want to pay $30 a month each.
Old 2004-03-02, 18:16   Link #5
opanime

well if i do find 15 friends who will be able to share and pay for the server together i m sure u're gonna be one of the ppl to visit the site to download

btw, i just got a quote for a server for 470$/m and tat is arround 31$/person which is NOT a lot to think about it
Old 2004-03-02, 19:24   Link #6
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
Exclamation

Oh please save us all by not even putting this site into consideration anymore, BT works fine.

If it works then don't mess with it, you're just going to get yourself into a pickle :S

Just my 2 cents and no offense
Old 2004-03-02, 19:27   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

Don't forget bandwidth costs. You will blow past any base level bandwidth and be charged tons of money when you do.

It's not gonna work. Spend your $50 on a better home network connection and seed torrents longer.
Old 2004-03-02, 19:38   Link #8
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Don't forget bandwidth costs. You will blow past any base level bandwidth and be charged tons of money when you do.

It's not gonna work. Spend your $50 on a better home network connection and seed torrents longer.
A well said arguement, totally reasonable and persuasive!
Why?
Cause it's facts, economicly direct downloads would be a horrible instrument to use because of the budgeting issue, while there are other alternatives out there such as BT.

Spending your money on something like this is even more wasteful then downloading anime itself (don't forget ur anime is NOT FREE! consider the electric and internet bills! Yes quite a few people take this for granted)

Now that I've thought about this... this post is anti-BT xD
The concepts are all ignored lol.
Old 2004-03-02, 19:58   Link #9
sothis

not to mention, why would you find 10+ friends to spend 30 bucks a month so thousands of leechers can run you dry? no one in their right mind would do that, especially when you go way over your alloted bandwidth and have your wallet anally raped.
Old 2004-03-02, 20:07   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I would spend the dough on a decent usenet account if I didn't have one or some licensed anime on DVD.
Old 2004-03-03, 00:30   Link #11
Smashingblue

Bittorrents work perfectly fine, there isn't a need for your site. Not to mention why risk the costs of bandwidth and the chance of getting into legal trouble? What is your motivation for having your friends pay money for others to leech anime off from you?
Old 2004-03-03, 01:34   Link #12
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashingblue
Bittorrents work perfectly fine, there isn't a need for your site. Not to mention why risk the costs of bandwidth and the chance of getting into legal trouble? What is your motivation for having your friends pay money for others to leech anime off from you?
knowing that ppl download off ur site. I dont see this as a big deal tho.
Old 2004-03-03, 04:08   Link #13
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

please include a H with your THAT s
Old 2004-03-03, 04:19   Link #14
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I'm not gonna tell you your idea sucks, it's actually rather cool if you manage to pull it off, but the thing is there is already sites out that offer all kinds of anime and more ... and they are operated via BT. Why use a BT system? Because it's simply better. More and more sites are using BT now.
Old 2004-03-03, 06:06   Link #15
minglong
Jump!

Basically what has already been stated above, although you may be able to buy a server, bandwidth costs is usually an entirely different aspect.

Torrent sites and their trackers already shift a considerably large amount of data per day and they're not serving entire episodes, just serving and tracking the torrent files.

Although it may seem far fetched at first, provided you do have enough upload bandwidth, you could probably see your site upload terabytes per day if you manage to make it as popular as you want it to be. I'm sure this will come to the attention of any host you may decide to use.

Another thing is that some people MUST use download accelerators for some reason. I hosted a file once and specifically stated not to use download accelerators. Some people on the other hand are thoroughly convinced that if you open 3400 connections to the server you download 3400x faster (not an exageration, I had to blacklist the guy on my firewall...). Obviously, this puts even more strain on your server and could also lead to it going down (anybody remember that matlabs site that served new fansubs via HTTP?).

Not trying to be pro-BT but the reason why it's successful is because the bandwidth is provided by everyone. Also, it has measures to prevent you from getting a corrupted file (provided the original wasn't corrupted in the first place).
Old 2004-03-03, 17:02   Link #16
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

The points I am about to make may have already been made. However...
BitTorrent may not be the best way to download anime. However, it is one of the cheapest ways fansub groups have of distributing their anime.
The whole episode is normally about 1/5 of a Gigabyte, and that cost a lot of money to host [especially when you're working on a series].
Thus, we have BitTorrent. Instead of uploading the whole episode onto the website, you upload a tiny 10k file that basically opens BitTorrent and connects you to everyone else who has/ are after the file you. Then you leech... and leech... and leech...
You may think of it as slightly inefficient, but because of BitTorrent, fansubs are available on the web. If it weren't for BitTorrent or any other p2p program, we would probably be stuck using mail order fansubs [or something like that]...
Old 2004-03-03, 18:39   Link #17
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Just try and imagine all the naruto fanboys downloading at once the latest episode. That's some scary amounts of bandwidth usage.
Old 2004-03-03, 19:00   Link #18
Go-lytely

Bandwidth alone is going to cost more than $300 a month. Maybe into the thousands of dollars per month.
Old 2004-03-03, 23:04   Link #19
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

You should rather provide this server as BT seeder for anime series - that would help a lot as well and won't cause such a horribly high traffic as having everyone and their cat d/l full episodes from the server.
Closed Thread