AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 38 44.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 34.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 15.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-24, 15:34   Link #121
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

This is really off topic but I'll have this to day...

Yes there are a lot of clubs in Japanese H.S. Most of the student join one to meet people from other classrooms and grades (in case you haven't notice, in Japanese schools the teacher move, not the student. You can spend all day in school without leaving your classroom much). Guys mostly want to join a sports club, but some join things like literary club to meet girls. Girls join clubs to meet guys and gossip. Everyone is encouraged to join a club as to develop interest in non-academic matters, but for some class (a few class in each grade is made from "college hopefuls) they are encouraged to spend all their time studying for the college tests. Clubs are optional for HS, but mostly mandatory for Middle school.

It may sound like fun but a lot of these clubs take their activities very seriously, so your may even ended up working harder in for your club than your school work. It's not all fun and games, and quitting a club is really frown upon.

In actuality, clubs are another way of forming Japanese relationship circles. Interpersonal relationship is paramount in the adult Japanese world, so more circle you form during your youth the better chance of receiving (and giving) help as an adult, thus more chance for success. Club members became intimate like other groups, going to onsen trips together and basically stay in touch for the rest of their lives. Some people ended up being closer to their club members than to their classmates (see genshiken). There's just no need for this kind of social relationship in the West (most people don't even goto their 10 year HS reunion while the Japanese meets every year) so the emphasis on clubs are not quite the same.
Old 2007-08-24, 16:08   Link #122
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
In actuality, clubs are another way of forming Japanese relationship circles.
...Which is why I've already begun asking my tutors about clubs. I'd like to get into one as soon as possible, to have fun, yes, but mostly to form relationships with people. One of my tutors is determined to get me to join the tennis club, even though I've already told her I haven't played in four years. (It's similar to the "you can speak mangled, fragmented Japanese? SUGOI!! Come hang out with us!!")

Having played flute for a number of years, my high school band wanted me to join BADLY (they claimed I was the best flautist among all the flautists they knew of; don't know if that's true or not, but they begged me everyday to join) .... My only problem was that I was used to playing solo. I'd hate to sound selfish, but playing with SO many other people was a drag, so I never joined. I really enjoy playing with a small group of people though.
Old 2007-08-24, 19:57   Link #123
kevin13
Disabled By Request

We don't have any clubs at my school.

We have a band, sports teams, but nothing else.

There's always some Xian thing that gets started by a few of my friends but it's always during lunch hours and is pretty stupid and boring.
Old 2007-08-24, 23:56   Link #124
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Here's my Ref List for EP 20... This is from Part A, which is the part before the eye-catch. There seemed to be a lot of sarcasm in this episode... should be fun. Iku yo!

Katsukabe Anime Club
The two guys behind Konata while she's talking about otaku on TV was holding a copy of "涼宮ハルヒの公式" (Suzumiya Hauri no Koushiki) Anime Guide Book. Those two guys actually looked like Computer Club members from Haruhi anime, according to some ota.

Required Otaku Reading

Which Konata already has a copy of since she bought it the same time she bought that extra copy of volume 5 of the Shuffle! manga. (episode 8)

Required reading, huh? Wish I could read it! (yes, I have a copy of it!)
Old 2007-08-25, 01:00   Link #125
bayoab

Quote:
The Fujoshi Kanojo CM video link is fixed... so if you missed it please check it out again.
After Densha Otoko, this one really comes across as a put up.
Quote:
Man I guess that Kadokawa marketing blitz is working...
Doubt it. These were both being worked on for a while now.
Old 2007-08-25, 01:28   Link #126
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
After Densha Otoko, this one really comes across as a put up.
Frankly, I 've enjoyed Fujoshi Kanojo much, much more than Densha Otoko. I heard it'll be animated or even dramatized soon. Can't wait! Have you read the blog or the book? It's hilarious.

Quote:
Doubt it. These were both being worked on for a while now.
I meant it worked on ME. Now I want to check them out and maybe buy it.
Old 2007-08-25, 07:06   Link #127
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 20 References Part B

Sorry for the delay, I'm watching the dorama "Haken no Hinkaku" as I type this; I love Shinohara Ryoko-chan (I'm old enough!) too much to not watch her expressionless face... I can't recommend this dorama enough.. okay, on to Part B!

Spoiler for Long Post - unhide to read:

===
My goodness this is long. But it is so much fun. I'm reading about things I would never had otherwise. Now I know the exact model number of the train Konata rode on. Japanese otas are impressive indeed.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-25 at 13:44.
Old 2007-08-25, 17:08   Link #128
Calawain
Gaijin

I am quite amazed as to how quickly the Japanese otaku squadrons can gather this type of information with such detail. Especially if many of them are not that familiar with general Japanese culture. If I were to assume the Japanese otaku average age was 13-24 and they are hardcore enough to frequent the types of boards and blogs that find this information, I wonder where they find the time to involve themselves in these other areas of culture enough to recognize the references. Some of them are probably more obvious then others, but others seem pretty obscure. It is quite impressive in the end.
Old 2007-08-25, 19:15   Link #129
kevin13
Disabled By Request

There's always someone... Who knows that one obscure thing, and it all adds up.
Old 2007-08-26, 12:44   Link #130
Purple Kitsune

I thought number 20 was quite an awesome episode, but i'm saying that about most of em now. I dunno why, but the inclusion of new characters really makes the programme more interesting when i thought it would just spiral off into stupid plots.

Loving the mosquito bit and the whole tea and melon part. Made me laugh when Yuki-chan's Mum forgot about herself and Konata though of something, no doubt, worrying.
Old 2007-08-26, 21:18   Link #131
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Aw man, time consuming clubs indeed. Back when I was in high school, I spent more time in clubs than in my actual classes. That's what happens when you do marching band, academic decathlon, and mock trial at the same time every year...

Anyway, finally got around to watching the actual episode. Short LC this time around...but I found it quite amusing, better than several of the earlier ones. And Shiraishi's ED this time...man that guy's crazy. But I guess that's why we like watching him.
Old 2007-09-10, 00:04   Link #132
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Not to bump without a reason...

a.f.k. sub of 20 is out!

Old 2007-09-10, 10:44   Link #133
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Not to bump without a reason...

a.f.k. sub of 20 is out!

My patience has paid off!
Old 2007-09-10, 11:24   Link #134
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Does anyone know why the a.f.k fansubs have been coming out slower than usual this time?!
Old 2007-09-10, 11:34   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

School? Work? Real Life? Splitting duties with other projects?
It is September after all.... (thinks about waiting *months* for some series episode releases)

Perhaps there were just technical or logistical obstacles... they've taken longer to do an episode on average since ep 16. They're also not the only ones subbing.... though my favorites, the EnA people seem to have taken a powder for the time being... the Guerrand folks have stepped into the breech though for the impatient.
Old 2007-09-11, 02:29   Link #136
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Haha yeah I figured there would be rl reasons coming into the picture. Guerrand's up to 23 now aren't they? Well...tbh I would prefer to wait for a.f.k's subs. Quite a big(stubborn) fan of them...
Old 2007-09-12, 01:44   Link #137
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Awesome, now that a.f.k.'s sub is out, I can catch up on what I've missed.

Great ep, I'll start by listing everything I found funny about this episode:
  • Nothing.
Excellent, that was a long list.

This show has pretty much completely lost any ounce of comedic momentum it had, and it didn't exactly have a great deal to begin with. But it continues to just the same old tired jokes and pointless go-nowhere conversations that were tolerable in early episodes, without being exceptionally engaging or funny, but are just inane and boring now. I generally find that only the absolute best comedies are still funny after twenty episodes, and that certainly isn't the case for LS, but in all honesty, it hasn't been exceptionally funny at all since about ep 12.

What is wrong with this show? I mean, I found Gokujou Seitokai and Karin to be a million times funnier than this, and neither of those were fantastic. This is bordering on irredeemable now. A comedy should be funny. This just simply isn't.
Old 2007-09-12, 02:17   Link #138
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Wasn't it established a while ago that this is more of a otaku(of sorts) slice of life anime than a comedy and the parts that just so happened to make you laugh or even smirk were just a bonus?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2007-09-12, 02:43   Link #139
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Yeah, but the show should at least still be enjoyable. It was earlier on in the series... at times. It's just not anymore. I mean, I'm all for judging a show on its intentions, but if I can't find it enjoyable and/or engaging, then it's failed its first criteria as a piece of entertainment and/or art.

And I hate this idea that just because a show is aimed at certain people, it should be impervious to criticism. It's like saying Adam Sandler films are written for people who have had lobotomies, and thus no one else has the right to judge them (although I'm being harsh on Sandler here, I did find a couple of his films funny, I'm just using him as an example).

And just to ram the point home, I just watched the latest episode of Hayate no Gotoku, and I laughed more in the first twenty seconds of that than I have in the last six episodes of Lucky Star. If they incite such completely different reactions from me, surely you can see why I'd say I think one is far better than the other.
Old 2007-09-12, 02:48   Link #140
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Hmm

I remember having slightly the same reaction around this time (though I still found it very funny, just not extremely).

Don't worry it picks up again 21-23.

I was cacking myself all the way though those.
Closed Thread