AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-26, 01:59   Link #1
cityscapes

Looking for smart manga recommendations

I'm looking for a manga that is intelligent/deep/touching; something with an almost literary feel. I haven't read much manga but if I can use some graphic novels as examples, my favorites are Maus and Persepolis. If anyone can point me in the direction of any titles of similar quality, I'd appreciate it.

- No sports, harem, or mecha (general sci-fi is ok)

- The less fanservice, the better

- I'm not interested in the whole "14 year old on a journey to become the best" cliche shonen storyline. I find the main characters unsympathetic and the plot/character development uninteresting or downright predictable.

- The premise of Monster caught my eye but after reading Vol. 1, I'm disappointed. I wish there was more to it in general: better dialogue, more suspense, more mystery, more interesting characters. So far, I find it lacking.

- Death Note never really pulled me in. Probably because I generally dislike the cat and mouse game unless there really is a mystery there to be unraveled by the reader as well as the characters.
Old 2008-11-26, 02:23   Link #2
jedinat

Read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It definitely has a "literary" feel (in the sense of the difference between literature and just general escapist fiction).

Another that comes to mind for whatever reason is Hyakkiyakou Shou... a nice supernatural manga.
Old 2008-11-26, 14:42   Link #3
cityscapes

Thank you! I'll give those a try.
Old 2008-11-26, 20:37   Link #4
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I think Planetes is quite deep without being complicated. It's a quite psychological and sometimes philosophical sci-fi manga.

20th Century Boys is from the same author of Monster. Maybe you should give him a chance reading this one.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2008-11-26, 23:08   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

I was going to suggest Death Note Vol. 13, but I guess you wouldn't like it, so try these instead:

Code Geass: Tales of Alternate Shogunate
Meitantei Conan
Old 2008-11-27, 00:09   Link #6
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Seconding Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Also, Mushishi for its similar atmospheric feel.

I can't recommend Inio Asano's Nijihara Holograph and Daisuke Igarashi's Witches enough with their imaginative exploration of human psychology and mythology.

The Yellow Book reminds me, not so much of Persepolis' premise, but rather its execution. So you might want to try that out.
Old 2008-11-27, 03:41   Link #7
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Smart - Homunculus
Narrative - Nasu, Kiichi!, Ohikkoshi
Deep and touching - Lone Wolf and Cub
With historical feel - Historie

Planetes and 20 CB - seconded. If you get accustomed to 20 CB, you might give Monster a second chance. It's a very serious manga with quite exceptional a topic, given the majority of manga series out there.
Old 2008-11-27, 15:46   Link #8
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I second Mushishi

Maybe Battle Angel Alita