Spoiler for episodes 25 and 26:
Spoiler:
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 16:26   Link #1702
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
The concept of a separate shower room aboard the Arcus Prima bothers me....Adding a shower room feels like a last-minute bolt-on to allow for a skinship scene....
This seems true to me. Not that there wouldn't be such rooms on the ship for less exalted passengers to use, just that the sibyllae wouldn't use them. I'm not complaining: we did get that tasteful "skinship" (lol) scene, and also a glimpse of an interesting (but chilly?) shower room. But it was a device.

And fignae...
Spoiler for Morinas in ep24:
Spoiler for ep25 unspoilerish preview from staff blog:
And another entry in the staff blog says that Takahashi Rieko (Neviril), Koshimizu Ami (Paraietta) and Yukana (Dominura) are confirmed for an appearance at the Tokyo Game Show on Sunday 24 September, in support of the PS2 game, which is to be released sometime this fall.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-15 at 16:47.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 17:28   Link #1703
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Spoiler for ep25 unspoilerish preview from staff blog:
Man, I was already on pins and needles about episode 25, and that little tidbit just makes it worse. (I was feeling kind of guilty for my overwelming love for those two when there were so many amazing characters in the series, but seeing the talkback link to Echidna's equally celebratory blog entry makes me feel better. )

As an aside, I've really enjoyed reading all the discussion in this thread. I'm not confident enough to join in myself, but I've really enjoyed reading it for what it's worth.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 19:13   Link #1704
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
Spoiler for episode 24:
There is. It's at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeTrope -- and see also http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaticWind and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Simoun .
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 20:15   Link #1705
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Haha, classic.

Trope no Ri Mājon!

Spoiler for DomiLimo speculation:

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-15 at 20:58.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 21:15   Link #1706
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Great site. Thanks. And someone (someone we know?) has done a good job of getting Simoun well-represented (over-represented?). I think cliches are often effective: they wouldn't be used enough to become cliches if they weren't effective in the first place.

But the wind blowing NeviAer was a little different from the stated trope: it was neither before an important truth is revealed nor when the characters were standing around looking noble. It was showing them off-balance, perhaps. In fact, I found that still-shot a bit weird and inexplicable, but strong. I have never minded the standard wind-blowing trope, which Simoun also has plenty of, but this was something different: a storm-wind of confusion and emotion? I think that goes for some of the other Simoun examples, too: e.g., Christmas cake, friend to all living things, et al. Non-standard versions of standard tropes.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-15 at 21:52.
Old 2006-09-15, 21:27   Link #1707
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

The trope list is really fun to read. It also made me notice some cliches in anime that I hadn't noticed as such until now.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 22:56   Link #1708
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Actually, I don't think we can truly identify the calling out of Ri Maajon names a cliche. The Sagitta doesn't say it to be cool, she says it because she needs to let the Auriga (who can't see the gem) know what's going on. So, it does have a practical purpose.
Also, I don't agree with there being no viable heterosexual pairings. The thought never even crossed my mind, especially since it seems that same-sex relationships are highly frowned on (or forbidden) in Kyuukoku. Otherwise Anubituf and Guragief wouldn't look so lonely when they look at each other
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 01:57   Link #1709
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
especially since it seems that same-sex relationships are highly frowned on (or forbidden) in Kyuukoku.
Hmm?
Neviril dated with Amuria according to the series director' interview.
And we have quite a few hints that Sibylla pairs often go together.
I'm just curious, what you're basing it on?
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 02:17   Link #1710
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara
Neviril dated with Amuria according to the series director' interview.
And we have quite a few hints that Sibylla pairs often go together.
I'm just curious, what you're basing it on?
I think FPB's point is more that they may be frowned on once the participants have chosen a sex (since if they were intending to stay together, they should have picked complementary sexes).
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 02:32   Link #1711
warainagara
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme
I think FPB's point is more that they may be frowned on once the participants have chosen a sex (since if they were intending to stay together, they should have picked complementary sexes).
Ya, I suspected so.
But I wondered if there were implications about it in the show
because of the assumption that since Sybillae are free from such a recognition
ordinary people would be the same.
Old 2006-09-16, 07:25   Link #1712
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 10:34   Link #1713
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme
Yeah, I forgot that part. Sorry

I'd suspected it for most of the series, but Wauf said something along the lines of: "Too bad he [Anubituf] is a man, huh?" to Guragief, and he looked all sad for a second. If a relationship between two men was acceptable, that comment wouldn't mean anything.
Old 2006-09-16, 11:21   Link #1714
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I am going to play Devil's advocate here - maybe it's unfortunate not because society won't approve but because one of them (or the two) is not sexually attracted to men.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 12:30   Link #1715
warainagara
CA

Quote:
I'd suspected it for most of the series, but Wauf said something along the lines of: "Too bad he [Anubituf] is a man, huh?" to Guragief, and he looked all sad for a second. If a relationship between two men was acceptable, that comment wouldn't mean anything.
Seeing that Wauf spoke it in relation to Guragief's character,
I think it's just that his character is suitable for female in Wauf's view.
Old 2006-09-16, 13:16   Link #1716
metronome
Mad Loli

http://www.simoun.tv/episodes/index.html

whoa
can't wait for episode 25 anymore~!
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 14:56   Link #1717
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I am going to play Devil's advocate here - maybe it's unfortunate not because society won't approve but because one of them (or the two) is not sexually attracted to men.
Perhaps, but it's not uncommon for an otherwise completely heterosexual person "to be gay for" someone of the same sex. I, for example, could be very gay for Wap and his DD-cup chest
Old 2006-09-16, 15:49   Link #1718
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome
http://www.simoun.tv/episodes/index.html whoa, can't wait for episode 25 anymore~!
The script and storyboard of ep25 are by the series director, Nishimura Junji. The episode director is Yoshida Shunji 吉田俊司, who directed episodes 3, 5, 8, 13, 18 and 23 (also directed episodes of Banner of Stars and Marimite). The animation supervisor is Kikuchi Yoko 菊池洋子, who also did ep19.

That preview paragraph may have been translated earlier in the thread, but in any case, here is my rough version:
Spoiler for preview of ep25:
I was going to write that I didn't remember any place in the show where it is made clear that same-sex relationships are frowned on. That statement of Wauf's is one, perhaps, but still the only one I can remember. I do see a wistful look in Guraghief and Anubituf, but perhaps that's my imagination and things are actually more possible than we've been thinking.

Actually, one of the few complaints I have about this show is that we don't see many adult women. We've only seen what appear to be peasant communities and women as priestesses. What are all the other women doing? What is "normal life" like?

I also wanted to mention some other shows Toyoguchi Megumi (Alti) is in: in addition to this and Black Lagoon (and its upcoming sequel), she is the lead in The Third (26 episodes) and one of the leads in the new Pokemon (which should be a long-running and profitable gig), as well as having an important role in Innocent Venus.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-16 at 16:35.
Old 2006-09-16, 16:01   Link #1719
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Perhaps, but it's not uncommon for an otherwise completely heterosexual person "to be gay for" someone of the same sex. I, for example, could be very gay for Wap and his DD-cup chest
Pah. You have no taste. Anubituf is clearly the sexiest guy in the show by a mile.
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 18:59   Link #1720
m000m000

Quote:
As sad as I'm going to be in three weeks when there's no new Simoun episode, I don't think I'd want a sequel, assuming that my supposition that the series is going to come to a very definite ending is correct. A Simoun sequel would be like a Babylon 5 sequel (or Lain, or Haibane Renmei) -- the series told its story very completely, and ended, and there isn't really room for a true sequel. And we're getting a retrospective ending from years later, anyway.

A movie or short OAV series that told a prequel story, or a gaiden story set between episodes 2 and 6 or 9 and 12, might work, or an entirely separate story set on Daikuuriku, but as it is, Simoun seems just right. If they'd planned the thing to be 39 episodes from the beginning, that would have been another matter, but it would be hard to add to the main narrative itself.
Agreed. A sequel to a clearly finite stories like Simoun just wouldn't work without seriously screwing over or cheapening the original. Well, unless you do it in the manner of Mai Otome or something, and go for a spin-off instead of direct sequel instead...

In terms of never-going-to-happen short Gaidens, I'd love to see something about how Mamiina's & Yun came to meet each other and how they had it during the time on Arcus Niger. Both aren't exactly the most conformationist of characters, so you could get some interesting things out of it. That, and well, they're both my personal fave's ;-).

Quote:
Further analysis of other footage implies that the magazine statement about Simulacrum being landlocked is incorrect (or, more likely, they changed their minds). Early episodes clearly show the Arcus Prima departing from the Grand Temple and heading out to sea.
You really sure? I dunno if I've been imagining things, but it's always looked like it been hill of an island/peninusla in a circular lake for me. The whole impact crater thing and stuffs.

As for Marimite... It's good stuffs - If you like that sort of thing.

It's definitively an aquired taste, and usually something that comes across just as oddly silly and excessively melodramatic to most people . But for some of us it's a mint little pice of otome-melodrama with specks of subtlety thrown in for spice, mixed to perfection~

...And Shimako so makes the show worth every minute of perpetual Yumi-Sachiko angst. Ok, I jest , but she really is like a pure shining beacon of awsome when she has her little moments in an otherwise already good show~ And Noriko's such a perfect complementary force and foil to her once she shows up later on~~

Season 2 was so good . I'm really looking forward to the new OVA, even if it will be extremely hard for it to topple over the old stuff. Well, I guess in the end that'll all depend on which characters they'll keep in the major focus this time around.

...Ah, sorry, excuse my fanboy splee .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowo
Bad directing, to me, is when overall execution is bad.
When well written (or at least ok) plot, script, art, and music come together badly, that's bad directing.
Pretty much.

I think the most glaring example of bad direction in the series was Mamiina's run through the gauntlet, or well, it was easily and glaringly highlighted because it was such an important moment.

Spoiler for episode 18/19:

That's just one type of example that fits the criteria though, but I'd have to go and re-watch episodes if I were to give examples from anything but the most recent ones, and other posters already nailed this episode (Though I disagree with the opinions on the confession scene, I thought it was awsome ).
m000m000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri