Old 2012-01-08, 02:03   Link #7301
Excorsism

Juvia, so ADORABLE.

Gray x Juvia boat, set sail!
Old 2012-01-08, 03:34   Link #7302
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The team should have been, Happy, Lilly, Charururururu and...that's it cause the 3 kitties would pwn everything and then FT could go "Yea, our cats can kill you, imagine our mage!"
Makarov's gonna regret not sending them if one of the events turns out to be... ... a catfight.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 03:44   Link #7303
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Quoting to say I agree with this assessment. It would have been nice to leave Erza out, or up the team allowed to say, 6 or 7 members. Add in at least Levi and Gajeel(unless he's gonna pop up with Raven Tail). Or perhaps have a mass qualifying run and thus have some people flunk out while others pass. Sorta like DBZ does with it's tournament, flunks out the lessers and leaves 8 or so people for the main tournament.
Ya its been something i've been saying for a while now... looking back at previous arcs there a few times where i feel a certain member of the traditional team did not NEED to be part of that mission and as such we could have replaced them with another character that could be highlighted. Exploring the rest of the cast of fairy tail by giving them a bigger role in some arcs would really help add an extra flavor to the series.

few examples...
-Lullaby arc: save erza's intro for the next arc and use Loki so he can get serious build up before his personal arc
-short arc involving Levi, jet and droy so we might actually know enough about them to give a damn when we see them pinned up against a tree
-Phanom Arc: Good that elfman got to shine, but also could have given Kana someone strong to fight aswell so she could have atleast ONE point to prove why she's a potential s-class
-Edolas arc: Replace Gray... not sure who, but gray didn't get any good development in that arc and there are others who could use the panel time more

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
not true, Mashima had her shine by having her bring her quickread glasses.

oh well, you'r rite, poor girl
Y'know i really like levi, but she is a source of annoyance for me. Namely in that she has been revealed as a potential s-class mage and yet she has yet to prove it. I mean she's smart and has proven she knows her field pretty well but throughout the series she has been presented as one of the weaker members along with her team mates... that's why it was such a surprise that she wound up as a competitor in the s-class tournament since everyone thought she was too weak.

Frankly, i can't help but think that, like the resurrection of lisanna, Levi's status is an asspull by Mashima so that he can please fans. Namely, he had heard all of the fan shipping of Gajeel and Levi and thus decided to upgrade her to an A-class mage so that he had an excuse to give them panel time together. Hell when you think about it, her major fight in the previous arc was her and gajeel fighting minions instead of the seven kin; it was essentially a filler fight.

Though granted, i'm not as annoyed by Levi's sudden upgrade as i am about Lisanna's resurrection; but i would prefer that he go all the way if he is gonna do it and actually give us a reason to believe she is an A-class mage.
Old 2012-01-08, 04:40   Link #7304
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Well, we know why Gajeel wasn't chosen (Erza with the cockblock)...

Mira probably vouched for Fried...Natsu and Gray are shoo-ins, so is Juvia as she was S-class in Phantom. 'Mest' ruined the final spot...so, with the excpetion of Happy and Wendy, and technically Loki as well, the partners of the S-class exam could have also been chosen to take it as well.

...so unless Master is 'rewarding' her for her efforts in taking down the runes during the entire Laxus fiasco, I don't see how Levy should even be there either...

And honestly, Gajeel was getting nerfed as of late too. He should be nearly on par with Natsu and that shouldn't have changed so much that he gets taken out by footsoldiers in the first skirmish and you have Natsu beating Zancrow, fighting Ultear, fighting Kain, getting smashed by Bluenote, and still able to even attempt to take down Hades... ...priorities, Mashima, priorities...
Old 2012-01-08, 05:18   Link #7305
haegar
mangaviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know i really like levi, but she is a source of annoyance for me. Namely in that she has been revealed as a potential s-class mage and yet she has yet to prove it.
I feel ya :/
Quote:
Frankly, i can't help but think that, like the resurrection of lisanna, Levi's status is an asspull by Mashima so that he can please fans.
I hear ya:
Spoiler for NSFW manga panel:

Quote:
but i would prefer that he go all the way if he is gonna do it
this, this currently pretty much applies to his handling of plot and character in general. :/ still, he does nice fanservice. and there are some worthwhile jokes now and then...
Old 2012-01-08, 06:19   Link #7306
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
and there are some worthwhile jokes now and then...
Usually involving Happy making fun of others.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 06:44   Link #7307
MechR

Quote:
few examples...
-Lullaby arc: save erza's intro for the next arc and use Loki so he can get serious build up before his personal arc
It had to be Erza because nobody else could've gotten Natsu and Gray to team up.

(Okay, technically I suppose you could rewrite it so Natsu+Lucy run into Gray+Loki by accident and are caught up together in Eisenwald's plans, but personally, I like the Lullaby arc the way it is. It was Erza's intro, the team's first outing together, the first "big" arc, and (sadly) remains one of Mashima's better-written arcs. I'm loath to fiddle with it too much.)

Quote:
-short arc involving Levi, jet and droy so we might actually know enough about them to give a damn when we see them pinned up against a tree
That would've been good.

Quote:
-Edolas arc: Replace Gray... not sure who, but gray didn't get any good development in that arc and there are others who could use the panel time more
I thought he had a cool moment with the dragon-cannon key. Plus, you can't have him be the only core member to miss out on Bizarro World. That would've gypped him big-time.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 10:37   Link #7308
kitten320

How come Juvia wasn't chosen as part of the team? She is stronger than Lucy or Wendy =/
And where the hell are Gejeel, Mirajane and Laxus with his gang?!
Old 2012-01-08, 10:43   Link #7309
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Late for the party, apparently...kinda sucks, the main team's characters and background have been saturated already, there's plenty more where that came from but Mashima sticks to his team of 5.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 12:56   Link #7310
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
How come Juvia wasn't chosen as part of the team? She is stronger than Lucy or Wendy =/
It's not purely about fighting strength. Since they don't know the nature of the contests, versatility's going to be at a premium.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 15:35   Link #7311
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
I thought he had a cool moment with the dragon-cannon key. Plus, you can't have him be the only core member to miss out on Bizarro World. That would've gypped him big-time.
He kinda did miss out on it. I mean, the best part about going to a Bizarro world is interacting with your bizarro self, and gray didn't really get much out of that... That's why would never even consider removing erza because ErzaVsErza was just plain awesome. Lucy got some good times with her bizzaro twin... Natsu and wendy not so much, but they needed to be there for Happy's and Charle's sake. And Gajeel needed to be there to get his cat.
Old 2012-01-08, 16:10   Link #7312
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
He kinda did miss out on it. I mean, the best part about going to a Bizarro world is interacting with your bizarro self, and gray didn't really get much out of that... That's why would never even consider removing erza because ErzaVsErza was just plain awesome. Lucy got some good times with her bizzaro twin... Natsu and wendy not so much, but they needed to be there for Happy's and Charle's sake. And Gajeel needed to be there to get his cat.
Getting your own cat, the most important part of any arc :P
Old 2012-01-10, 08:29   Link #7313
haegar
mangaviking

Quote:
Getting your own cat, the most important part of any arc :P

yeah, rite. Look @ what Gajeel had to go through to get a cat, and then these two new shrubs get their cats right form the getgo. When Gajeel hears that he will rant and destroy them
Old 2012-01-10, 16:12   Link #7314
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And where the hell are Gejeel, Mirajane and Laxus with his gang?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not purely about fighting strength. Since they don't know the nature of the contests, versatility's going to be at a premium.
Well Anh_Minh is right it might not just be about fighting but also I wouldn't underestimate Wendy she does use some DS attack so probably has more then people think. Lucy does have some smarts she did figure the S-class exam clue and also Natsu fights alot better she is with him/ in danger and she is not helpless either.

As far as Gajeel goes I'm guessing he is at Raven Tail right now doing his wok as a double agent. As far as the rest who knows maybe Makarov has them near by afterall they do think there is something darker going on.

Last edited by GundamFan; 2012-01-10 at 18:52.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:41   Link #7315
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
As far as Gajeel goes I'm guessing he is at Raven's Claw right now doing his wok as a double agent.
Unless you were trying to make some witty pun...it's Raven Tail
Old 2012-01-10, 18:57   Link #7316
GundamFan

Quote:
Unless you were trying to make some witty pun...it's Raven Tail
No pun I just screwed up the name.

I've got a theory I think the 4th gen DS are going to be neos with multiple Dragon Lacrimas and the 5th gen are going to be hybrids with multiple Dragon Lacrimas.

Also glad to see Juvia making some progress with Gray poor Lyon doesn't stand a chance.
Old 2012-01-10, 19:18   Link #7317
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post

Also glad to see Juvia making some progress with Gray poor Lyon doesn't stand a chance.
Ah! But according to Juvia, Gray loves Lyon! So who's really winning!?
Old 2012-01-10, 19:38   Link #7318
GundamFan

Quote:
Ah! But according to Juvia, Gray loves Lyon! So who's really winning!?
Well Juvia is a little paranoid and stalkerish but Gray seems to be warming up to her he was worried about after he sent after Zefer when he made it back first from fighting Hades and he also saved her from Acnologia. Now granted throwing a lady over your shoulder and running like hell isn't the most heroic way to save them but when your talking about the Black Dragon the Apocalypse it's probably the most effective.
Old 2012-01-10, 20:30   Link #7319
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Just to bring it up again for the relationship chart
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 22:13   Link #7320
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I was joking...