AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite(s) To Aru Majutsu no Index Characters
Index 83 18.95%
Kamijo Toma 208 47.49%
Misaka Mikoto 264 60.27%
Shirai Kuroko 81 18.49%
Tsukuyomi Komoe 31 7.08%
Himegami Aisa 36 8.22%
Kanzaki Kaori 107 24.43%
Styl Magnus 35 7.99%
Tsuchimikado Motoharu 65 14.84%
Tsuchimikado Maika 16 3.65%
Accelerator 172 39.27%
Misaka Sisters 60 13.70%
Sister #10032 114 26.03%
Last Order (Sister #20001) 114 26.03%
Kazakiri Hyouka 19 4.34%
Aureolus Izzard 11 2.51%
Misha 23 5.25%
Doctor 42 9.59%
Sphinx 32 7.31%
Others (specify) 46 10.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-12-09, 19:09   Link #121
Miraluka
Banned

I doubt 1 & 2 are the reason.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 07:26   Link #122
LevelSeven

it is colorful again :/
Spoiler for fizix:
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 10:14   Link #123
Miraluka
Banned

Spoiler:
Old 2014-12-10, 10:43   Link #124
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post

Spoiler:
exatcly... half of a volume wasted for fanservice stuff at the airplane but fiamma was hidden, this was why he wasnt mentioned
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 12:03   Link #125
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
it is colorful again :/
How so? Not sure I'm following, I think I gave a reasoned response as to why certain characters are popular.

Spoiler for for LevelSeven:

You may disagree with all of this, but those are my feelings on the series as a whole. In short, I think the science side is far better written and the characters that it presents are more developed and interesting. My focus on Misaka was simply as I was responding to a point about her popularity, the general points here extend to several characters, mainly on the science side.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 12:45   Link #126
Miraluka
Banned

You said 'their' but so far you talked about her only. That's pretty much one sided lol.

Aniways, the answer to popularity is: Tsundere archetype.
Those type characters always have an automatic fandom because they're easier to write and simpleminded characters to read so a fandom easily will choose them over the others from the get go.
Old 2014-12-10, 12:58   Link #127
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
You said 'their' but so far you talked about her only. That's pretty much one sided lol.

Those type characters always have an automatic fandom because they're easier to write and simpleminded characters to read so a fandom easily will choose them over the others from the get go.
I find the tsundere archetype to be overused and bland.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 13:04   Link #128
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:

BIB: That is because I was replying to a post about her in the first place. The discussion rolled from that.

The reason I said 'their' is because the points I was making, (character development), can be applied to most of the characters that are favoured. It was "they" as in those characters who are developed are favoured by fans.

And I disagree that it is the Tsundere archetype, it's the development and involvement of the character in the plot. It's that the character is multi-faceted, their emotions are expolored and they are involved in plots that are interesting. I also don't care for applying labels to characters (whether they adhere or not). A character is either well written and interesting or they aren't.

But then I don't over consume anime, I casually watch stuff here and there, so maybe I've not been quite so affected by it. As an aside, I think a character who isn't entirely warm or entirely cold towards the MC is more interesting than one who is. That might be because that kind of character is easier to write, as a non writer I don't know, I'd imagine any interesting character is difficult to write.

Last edited by Fizix; 2014-12-10 at 13:17.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:16   Link #129
Miraluka
Banned

I have blogs on my yet to clean historial from years ago(yeah my poor pc hates me) making reviews about volume 1. Way before this series became popular on the Western side, guess who was the most talked character despite being featured on one chapter? She.
Did she have involvement or development at that time? Absolutely not and even now her relevance is more about her character around Touma rather than the plot itself.

And on volume.2 the reviews about her missing.

See?
And the came volume.3 where her popularity grew even more as it was her arc like Himegami had.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:21   Link #130
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
I have blogs on my yet to clean historial from years ago(yeah my poor pc hates me) making reviews about volume 1. Way before this series became popular on the Western side, guess who was the most talked character despite being featured on one chapter? She.
Did she have involvement or development at that time? Absolutely not
And on volume.2 the reviews about her missing.

See?
And the came volume.3 where her popularity grew even more.
I can't really comment on that, but with volume 3, that was one of the most interesting arcs in the first series and setup the Accelerator stuff (also a very interesting arc). So I can definitely see why she became popular there.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:23   Link #131
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
even now her relevance is more about her character around Touma rather than the plot itself.
And that in itself is a shame IMO, the sisters arc and the underworld of Academy City has a lot of milage in it.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:25   Link #132
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah but AC's side, specially its dark side is more explored trough Accelerator and Shi age.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:27   Link #133
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

With Mikoto, it is definitely the tsundere archetype that made her popular. (Sadly, she has progressed from the 'Meh, tsundere' phase to the 'violent tsundere' phase)

Anime Mikoto made it even worse as now she's a delusional girl in denial who refuses to acknowledge how dark Academy City is outside of the Sisters Arc...and people LIKE that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
I can't really comment on that, but with volume 3, that was one of the most interesting arcs in the first series and setup the Accelerator stuff (also a very interesting arc). So I can definitely see why she became popular there.
I'd have to disagree. Volumes 1 and 2 were fantastic. Volume 3 was actually a step-down from those two. Volumes 1 and 2 were great character pieces for Touma (among other things) while Volume 3 sort of stepped away from that and there is where the drop came from. Sure, it actually gave Mikoto a character independent from Touma and introduced Accelerator but that really isn't enough from where I stand.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:31   Link #134
Miraluka
Banned

Indeed, if you care enough to reread volume.1&2 most of the stuff addressed there about Touma had been reused, developed and expanded on WWIII and NT Series.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:35   Link #135
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Indeed, if you care enough to reread volume.1&2 most of the stuff addressed there about Touma had been reused or expanded on WWIII and NT Serbia.
To be fair, a lot of character development Touma receives comes in the form of re-establishing his character in some way after he, himself, starts to question himself and I personally really like that. The fact that he strays and wavers and has to actually undergo some stimulus to actually realize that he is deluding himself in one way or another gives him a sense of realism and allows him to have his own illusions broken (ironically) by the people who he is trying to do the same to.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:41   Link #136
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Yeah but AC's side, specially its dark side is more explored trough Accelerator and Shi age.
True, and I for one would like more of it. I prefer the AC stuff and that comes from both of them. I find Misaka, Accelerator and the clones to be more interesting characters with more depth.

They all, including Toama, adhere to general archetypes so I'm not sure why archetypes are the sticking point for people. Well, if I were to guess, I'd say the archetype matters if you just don't like a character, its an easy bolt on to explain why. If you do like a character then it doesn't matter.

I personally favour characters like Misaka, #'32, Accelerator and Shiage as they have more depth and are explored more on an emotional level. The arcs they are involved in are more interesting and the ones I tend to pay more attention to. But then as I favour the science side I guess that's to be expected.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:47   Link #137
Miraluka
Banned

Not Accelerator, he's another beast and to begin with he earned quite the bitchy hatedom because you know... He made Mikoto suffer, some were very intolerant about him even after the novels went past volume.13.

However by that Tim he had enough fans earned on the way.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:48   Link #138
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
True, and I for one would like more of it. I prefer the AC stuff and that comes from both of them. I find Misaka, Accelerator and the clones to be more interesting characters with more depth.

They all, including Toama, adhere to general archetypes so I'm not sure why archetypes are the sticking point for people. Well, if I were to guess, I'd say the archetype matters if you just don't like a character, its an easy bolt on to explain why. If you do like a character then it doesn't matter.
What Archetype would you put Touma in because he sure as hell isn't a stereotypical shonen hero. That's for sure.

Quote:
Not Accelerator, he's another beast and to begin with he earned quite the bitchy hatedom because you know... He made Mikoto suffer, some were very intolerant about him even after the novels went past volume.13.

However by that Tim he had enough fans earned on the way.
Even now, he still has quite the hatedom. There are some who reasonably can't forgive him for the Level 6 Shift Experiment. The rest are people who are just butthurt because he made their waifu suffer.
Old 2014-12-10, 13:57   Link #139
Miraluka
Banned

I'm on a very good mood guys, I have free time, no gastritis and just beat a cultist on an argument hours ago.... So take this:

Old 2014-12-10, 14:08   Link #140
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
What Archetype would you put Touma in because he sure as hell isn't a stereotypical shonen hero. That's for sure.
Really?

Nice guy who fights and gets involved in battles because he just wants to help people and doesn't want anyone to get hurt.

Refuses outside help as they don't want anyone to get involved.

Largely following other people battles rather than his own.

Attempts to save antagonists by talking them around.

Largely blind to the emotions and or capabilities of those around him. Even when its patently obvious how they feel or how they can be of use.

Lost his memory

No overused archetypes at play there at all.

And the idea that he is a normal guy (ergo unique) is false, his power is by definition immensely powerful and makes him far from a normal guy.

On accelerator hate, I largely ignore extreme fans, they exist for any major character and are insufferable. They are also the loudest and aren't necesarilly representative of overall sentiment. The fact that Accelerator is an immensely popular character kind of speaks for itself really.

The characters aren't good because they do or do not adhere to archetypes. They are good because they just are good characters.