AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-27, 20:19   Link #1
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Smile Gunslinger Girl 6 discussion (spoilers)

The old thread was too cluttered with spoiler tags.

First, I'll complain that those $&*#@$%^* animators are going to skip chapter 8!!! My favorite story by far!! Episode 7 is going to be based on chapter 9 Aaagh! I'm gonna sick Henrietta on them. *sighs* At least, the weekly schedule is maintained.

Ahem, back on topic. Full discussion will have to wait until I get a subbed version, but the raw is out and the story is pretty easy to follow. What a relief, it didn't leave you feeling as miserable as the other episodes. But it was the weakest episode so far, minimal character development and even the action sequences were not as tight, which is pity because we finally get to see all girls acting together. Well, all the one who are on active duty (poor Claes ;_; ).

This time there was no doubt, the victims were all bad guys, which help set the rather upbeat mood of this story. Also, Jan the bastard didn't have chance to show off his charm, no Rico beating this time, folks. But the disturbing moments are there, like Jose treating Henrietta to ice cream after she killed those terrorists.

Is it me or was Henrietta looking cuter than usual? I wonder if we'll see again that blonde lady. So far, the girls have not killed any woman, would that have an effect on them?

Triela joins the ranks of James Bond as the only operatives who can sneak behind sentrys and climb walls while wearing tie and three-piece suits and formal shoes. Carrying a full lenght shotgun or rifle was not too clever either. Come on, please treat my favorite child killer with more respect. Or is Hilsher still a rookie? -_-;;

Again, we're treated to Jan the Bastard and his merry band's out-of-this-world tactical genius, sending forward Henrietta to play the scared child: "Kind sirs, please don't mind this little girl's sudden and unexplainable presence in the middle of a shootout when it's almost public knowledge there's a government agency using little girls as assasins. I assure you, I'm not suspicious at all!". *sighs*

All in all, just another day's work for the fine folks at Social Welfare Corporation.
Old 2003-11-27, 23:09   Link #2
skylion

I have to agree with Relentless on most if not all takes. I wouldn't call this a "weak" ep at all. Sometimes you get some great setup for future shows in these. The main "bad girl" for instance seems like she might have a thread down the line. I only say this because a) a good amount of screen time was spent on her b)she got the last few words in and c)she has been the most prominent female character outside the girls we have seen. My japanese is terrible, so I was only picking up a few words out of a hundred. This is what I got from the "feel" of watching it.

Yes, Henrietta looked cuter than usual in this one. ::aoi sugoi::
Old 2003-11-28, 12:52   Link #3
wao
OK.

Making this quick (I'll add some more if possible):

Episode 6 had its good points and bad: the bad was that the animation wasn't so good here (I wanted better animation as this was more action oriented. ). I also thought it was a bit weird for Henrietta to be just accepted as a hostage after turning up liek that (they should have suspected something, shouldn't they? Then again, they aren't real pros are they.)

However, I found the last part was really nicely ironic. You'll definitely know what I mean.

Note: I watched ToTan's release, it wasn't bad, though I could give some feedback: Please do improve on the sound a little, and also try for fewer spelling errors (though I don't really care SO much). Also some people will probably whine about karaoke (though that wasn't so bad) and typesetting (that I really don't care about. Since I don't watch the ED sequence and the OP is in english for this anime. Plus anyway karaoke sometimes clogs screens up...)
Old 2003-11-28, 14:38   Link #4
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

ToTan is still new, give them time to prove themselves
Old 2003-11-28, 15:24   Link #5
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
Episode 6 was sooo....boring.
Old 2003-11-28, 22:23   Link #6
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by *aznplayboi*
Episode 6 was not boring!
we should be seeing more Franca/Franco later, but how come they are good people if they are expert of making bombs??
Old 2003-11-28, 22:28   Link #7
Go-lytely

Yeah, the ep wasnt boring. Go watch Dragonball Z or something.
Old 2003-11-29, 00:32   Link #8
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
However, I found the last part was really nicely ironic. You'll definitely know what I mean.
Sure I do, and it was rather funny indeed
Quote:
Note: I watched ToTan's release, it wasn't bad, though I could give some feedback: Please do improve on the sound a little, and also try for fewer spelling errors (though I don't really care SO much). Also some people will probably whine about karaoke (though that wasn't so bad) and typesetting (that I really don't care about. Since I don't watch the ED sequence and the OP is in english for this anime. Plus anyway karaoke sometimes clogs screens up...)
I agree. I didnīt notice anything special with the karaoke, which is, IMHO, useless anyhow. There were some spelling errors, but nothing systematic or bothersome. The sound quality was a bit ... bad, to put it bluntly, but it wasnīt bothersome either. And the release was quick, which I like

As for the storyline: perhaps there wasnīt too much developement (this depends on where the series will go in the future...), but lots of coolness to compensate. People in Rome seemed to have a rather bad taste in clothes tho, and Janīs jacket was hideous. Hardly relevant, like something else that disappointed me - Triela didnīt fire her shotgun
Old 2003-11-29, 02:40   Link #9
LoneDust

I like this episode. New characters are plotted in among actions. Neat

I have noticed tho that ToTan's release says "ice cream" for episode title.
also noticed from the other post
Quote:
Ep6: it: gelato = ice cream
jp: houshuu = reward, recompense
That's so misleading!

Props for the first release tho thanks!
Old 2003-11-29, 21:13   Link #10
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by *aznplayboi*
Dude... it's a slow story, that doesn't make it boring... in fact, the entire series is mostly slow (obviously some great action scenes mixed in) so deal with it or watch something else. Character developement is the goal of the series (so far at least).

Sorry about the spelling, I'm their english editor, but I didn't get it untill 3am... and was extremely rushed because their encoder was leaving for vaction in a couple hours... next one should be much better... as I hope this one was over ep 5 (when they had no one to check their English).

I'll mention the ending could use some work... and the discrepancy between what the Japanese title and the Italian title meant.

About the sound, yes the raw was not the best quality (I also get the raws) I was downloading a better raw, but as I said the encoder had to leave, and so we could not wait this time for it to finish. This situation is unusual, and we will use better raws in the future. Sound wasn't terrible, but could have been better.

I enjoyed the irony in the last scene as well.

I'll talk to them about the ending kareoke, but we don't have an Italian translator, so...

And your welcome LoneDust!

Last edited by CompShrink; 2003-11-29 at 21:34.
Old 2003-12-01, 00:19   Link #11
Relentless
Certifiably insane

I didn't mean this episode was bad. In fact, it was good but compared with the others, I didn't like it as much. We didn't get to know more about the girls and the action scenes were not too exciting. From the manga, one could imagine Henrietta diving to the floor and killing that guy almost at the same time Triela entered the room.

A good point was using the girls for surveillance. It's logical, who's going to suspect a little girl is spying on them? It seems that besides strenght and bullet-proofness, they have enhanced senses like in the old Six Billion Dollar Man/Bionic Woman series.

Maybe it's the raw I got, but I didn't notice any difference with the animation, other than Henrietta ubercuteness.
Old 2003-12-01, 03:10   Link #12
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

uhhh....people...i like the series...just not this episode.......anyway, my comment was an OPINION, MY OPINION, hey... im not complaining. do i have to love it? no...

Last edited by *aznplayboi*; 2003-12-01 at 22:22.
Old 2003-12-04, 10:40   Link #13
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Is it me or was Henrietta looking cuter than usual?
Henrietta tottemo kawaii-ne in this episode. Seeing her face blushes in red is just priceless. I have a bad feeling that Henrietta might confront those Franca and Franco later on in the series.
Anyway, we want more Henrietta. I'm NOT a pedophile u know, just to avoid misunderstanding
Old 2003-12-04, 18:43   Link #14
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Asakura
I'm NOT a pedophile u know, just to avoid misunderstanding
Sure your not j/k but anyways I too didn't find this episode boring it wasn't like the last episodes but it does tells us more about the feelings of those gunslinger girls. Yea I also thought seeing Henrietta blush like that was so cute. Thats what I find ironic about this anime, kids should look cute and not be going around being used as assassins but I guess they would make a perfect assassin since most ppl would never find a kid as suspicious as a adult.
Old 2003-12-04, 21:51   Link #15
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Henrietta blushes at the drop of a hat, what bothers slightly is how young she looked, like 5 or 6 y-o

I don't quite get it, why was Jose so angry in the restaurant?
Old 2003-12-05, 16:43   Link #16
IceTea

Gunslinger Girl - ep 7

well a little fast preview I got and I can tell ya there will be some action, chasing in this ep.

BTW, I like this new fansub group ToTan, they are fast and bring quality in their works
Old 2003-12-05, 19:49   Link #17
saku~ya
la~li~lo

I don't maybe it was just me but episode 5+6 by ToTan had weird sounding audio. Of course, it could of been my computer. But then tonight its clear as day, maybe they fixed it. And I can't argue with the above statement, their downloads are incredible. All done in 15 minutes.

Nice episode and all looking forward to next weeks. I still like Henrietta out of all the girls. Than Claes, Triela, then Rico.
Old 2003-12-05, 22:14   Link #18
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Actually don't think totan puts much time in there work...well at least not as much as others. The screen isn't as sharp, but hey...at least they do it for us....right?
Old 2003-12-06, 00:35   Link #19
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Actually don't think totan puts much time in there work...well at least not as much as others. The screen isn't as sharp, but hey...at least they do it for us....right?
Well, maybe we (ToTan) don't spend as long as other groups, but that's how you get them faster... We do try extremely hard to put out a good quality product, but we also try to do it fast. This leads to some minor mistakes, definately, but I think each episode has been better than the last, and I think that will continue.

BTW, some really nice action scenes in this, some character developement, but it seems alot less than previous episodes, and more action. It's good, but seems really different, especially since the last episode was a little slower than usually.
Old 2003-12-06, 04:12   Link #20
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

lol....well actually...i dont care or look carefully at it and look at the kareoke and all that sh!t like other people. Im just happy that u do it and u do it FAST. =) ......key word being fast. lol
Closed Thread