AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-25, 15:58   Link #421
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Elfen Lied. The first 10 minutes looked promising, but it promptly collapsed within the first episode. I completely fail to understand what the writers were trying to achieve with this series. It tried to be horrific and over-the-top cute at the same time. And the characters can be oh-so-unbelievably stupid. You see a naked girl with a bleeding wound on the beach, and instead of sending her to a hospital or a police station right away, you take her home instead. Very smart indeed.

This show represents everything I hate about popular anime. Throw in gratuitous sex and violence, and watch the fanboys froth over it. Who cares about realistic character and plot development? Just give them the gore and they'd think it's a masterpiece.
Old 2008-02-25, 16:32   Link #422
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Who cares about realistic character and plot development? Just give them the gore and they'd think it's a masterpiece.
On the contrary, I do. Since I'm assuming you're attacking the part of the population that considers Elfen Lied a masterpiece for its gore, I'll just agree with you and leave it at that.
Old 2008-02-25, 20:54   Link #423
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
On the contrary, I do. Since I'm assuming you're attacking the part of the population that considers Elfen Lied a masterpiece for its gore, I'll just agree with you and leave it at that.
Ehhh...?
Since KS isn't readily flaming you, I will have to do so instead.
Quote:
Elfen Lied. The first 10 minutes looked promising, but it promptly collapsed within the first episode.
Of course, you learn so much about an anime in its first episode, right? If everyone thought like you, no one would be watching Bleach, Naruto, Lucky Star, etc.
And yeah, there's some actual significance to me quoting this. You'll see later.
Quote:
This show represents everything I hate about popular anime. Throw in gratuitous sex and violence, and watch the fanboys froth over it. Who cares about realistic character and plot development? Just give them the gore and they'd think it's a masterpiece.
Here you are flaming the series because it's apparently only liked for its gore and nudity, while you say that the first ten minutes were promising. Wow. I really like useless conversations about food but I hated the first episode of Lucky Star, too.
And again, no realistic character and plot development? It's been flamed by fans of gore for having too many flashback scenes about characters and how their lives were affected by such and such and how they live differently because of that and other boring stuff while leaving out all of the real action that people are actually looking for. They also disliked how some characters were really random in that sometimes they represented some things that people generally don't care about because watching anime is all about blood and boobs, amirite? Of course, you already knew all of this, though, since you've seen the entire first episode.
Old 2008-02-25, 22:01   Link #424
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Ehhh...?
Since KS isn't readily flaming you, I will have to do so instead.
Meh, I wasn't in the flaming mood. If you want, then I shall flame.

I really think the only thing that's wrong with TinyRedLeaf's argument is all of the gore argument. The first ten minutes of the series is the most violent part of the series, and yet you say you hate people who hate gore, so you're hating yourself for being the person you hate.

But you didn't tell us how many episodes you've watched, so I'm going to assume that you only watched the first episode then stop. That's not enough to assess an anime. Read on if you want a few spoilers.

Spoiler for Elfen Lied:

I didn't like Lucky Star. However, I've only watched 4 episodes then put it on hold. People have told me that there was a director change after the first four episodes and it gets better. I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but you can search all the threads you want. You will never see one post where I flamed Lucky Star because I watched only 4 episodes of it and hated it.
Old 2008-02-25, 23:07   Link #425
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

I hate Lucky Star, the crap just isn't funny. But after reading Kholdstare's post, I guess I'll have to give it another chance. Funny thing is, I usually give anime shows a chance by watching the first 5 episodes, but with LS I couldn't even get past 3.
Old 2008-02-26, 01:14   Link #426
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
I didn't like Lucky Star. However, I've only watched 4 episodes then put it on hold. People have told me that there was a director change after the first four episodes and it gets better. I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but you can search all the threads you want. You will never see one post where I flamed Lucky Star because I watched only 4 episodes of it and hated it.
Even I have seen twenty or so scattered episodes of Naruto, and I don't flame it. I express my dislike for the series, but I don't flame it.
For other things, like Bleach or Code Geass, I've seen about 140ish episodes (maybe a couple more), and the whole series, respectively, and I only flame the parts I don't think were well done, not the series as a whole.
I criticise Bleach's fillers and attempt at saving the series because they only had me mildly interested for the first couple of episodes because I was still wearing off from the epic Soul Society arcs, and then it dragged into tried character development, weak attempts at a plot, general gayish-ness from Ishida, and repetitive fights, since Soul Society had pretty much exhausted all of their originality, and even reverting back to the manga held little improvement.
(I guess this is another thing that I could add to that one post about how endings shouldn't affect one's ratings of an anime and such, etc. etc.)
Code Geass was quite an amazing series, nice mecha fights, a genious male lead, pizza butts, a flowing storyline, and then the Mao arc came along, which I seemed to dislike less than others, since even though it used deus ex machina to continue along (hey, we can give a writer one or two, right?), it was sort of a battle of wits mildly reminiscent of Light-L in Death Note. Afterwards, though, you could litterally see the series coming apart episodes before it actually did, so epic the incoming trains were. Gah, to this day, I still cant forget the horror that was Code Geass' ending, but I still am a fan of the series, and am looking forward to its second season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
I hate Lucky Star, the crap just isn't funny. But after reading Kholdstare's post, I guess I'll have to give it another chance. Funny thing is, I usually give anime shows a chance by watching the first 5 episodes, but with LS I couldn't even get past 3.
Yeah, in general, you had to really be in the mood to really enjoy Lucky Star's first four (my brother was, I wasn't.)
I would say the only reason to watch the first four episodes is to get a feel for the characters, catch the Kanon reference(s), and be able to say that you got through a 6-minute conversation about food.
Old 2008-02-26, 02:09   Link #427
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
Yeah, if you need confirmation:

Quote:
The animation director was changed after episode four from Yutaka Yamamoto to Yasuhiro Takemoto. The reason given was: "Our company has determined that the director of Lucky Star — Yutaka Yamamoto — has not reached the standard of director yet, therefore we have changed the director."
It's only on hold, not dropped, because someday in the future I'm hoping to go past episode 4. If qtipbrit92 really didn't enjoy the first four episodes but enjoyed the ones after that, then it definitely deserves another shot.

Also, who doesn't hate Bleach fillers. It's supposed to get good too when the Vizard/Arrancar arrive, but it's only getting good again very recently. I define good as not watching an episode for obligation, but wanting to watch it based on last episode's quality, since I always want to finish anime I've spent way too much time on.

God, I still remember that food conversation.

And I will also put down Death Note for the first time. However, I did not give Death Note a chance at all. I liked the first episode, then for some reason I found L's entrance very boring and stupid, so I just...dropped it because I wasn't in the mood. I never picked it up again.

Oh, and once again, I hated Ouran. For me, the first four episodes of Lucky was decent, but nothing that kept my interest. The first three episodes of Ouran questioned my sanity.

@qtipbrit92: Didn't you promise to flame me or something?
Old 2008-02-26, 02:33   Link #428
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Also, who doesn't hate Bleach fillers. It's supposed to get good too when the Vizard/Arrancar arrive, but it's only getting good again very recently. I define good as not watching an episode for obligation, but wanting to watch it based on last episode's quality, since I always want to finish anime I've spent way too much time on.
The only way I got through the fillers was through playing Final Fantasy I and II on my trusty GBA and paying about 50% attention to the actual events. Every now and then, I would try for a full episode, but my hand was usually reaching for my GBA after a couple minutes.
I as well. I remember watching Happiness! episodes 1-7 a year ago, actually mildly relieved that it had not been further subbed. After the rest of the series was released subbed late last year, I forced myself to rewatch episode seven and finish the series for completion's sake.
I may have to do the same for Bleach and reach whatever part it is currently picking up so as to not have wasted those long hours watching ten cours worth of episodes.)
Quote:
God, I still remember that food conversation.
Ah, don't we all.
I remember wondering to myself which was the head or tail while eating a choco cornet not long ago. I decided that I would have to eat it while rewatching episode one of Lucky Star just so I could later say that I had watched the food conversation with a choco cornet in my mouth.
Quote:
And I will also put down Death Note for the first time. However, I did not give Death Note a chance at all. I liked the first episode, then for some reason I found L's entrance very boring and stupid, so I just...dropped it because I wasn't in the mood. I never picked it up again.
That's quite fast.
Usually, people don't drop the series until episode 25 or so. (Again, I forced myself to watch the last 12 episodes of Legos, Chocolate, and the-manga-is-soo-much-better-than-the-anime level mediocrity.
Quote:
Oh, and once again, I hated Ouran. For me, the first four episodes of Lucky was decent, but nothing that kept my interest. The first three episodes of Ouran questioned my sanity.
I have yet to see the infamous High School Club of Ouran, but I have heard that it's love-hate (to the extreme extent.) I can still easily see myself falling into the middle category all by my lonesome, though.
Quote:
@qtipbrit92: Didn't you promise to flame me or something?
Eh, I'll have it within the week.
That smiley is there because I doubt I will ever have a real use for it, so why not throw it in?

Last edited by qtipbrit; 2008-02-26 at 20:47.
Old 2008-02-26, 02:58   Link #429
Oppius
Banned

Surprisingly I am the only anime fan who did not like Ouran.
Old 2008-02-26, 09:47   Link #430
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
I know someone else who doesn't.
I think Ouran is a good anime but it definitely depends on your tastes and your sense of humor.
Old 2008-02-26, 17:11   Link #431
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
I thought it was okay, but I didn't think it was good enough for that much fuss over it, but then, I guess it's my taste. I also hold the same opinion to some other animes as well, with the prime example of Naruto...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-02-27, 17:35   Link #432
Lucifer-Angel
Oxymoron

Well, I watched Haruhi after I knew how popular it was, probably because Haruhi wasn't my type of female leads, I guess, it is just preference...

Ouran was alright, but if you aren't into yaoi, perhaps you cannot stand the series...
Old 2008-02-27, 18:55   Link #433
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Since a lot of people are talking about Lucky Star here I just wanted to give my thoughts on it:

I'm actually one of the few people who felt Lucky Star got substantially worse as people started to claim it was getting better. The first 8 or so episodes still stand to me as the most intriguing and genuinely funny material I have ever seen come out of Kyoto Animation. Especially episode 6. It was only around episode 12 that it really started to go downhill, and by around episode 16 the magic was lost completely. I loved the characters a lot, but I didn't like at all what Kyoto Animation used them for. So much potential squandered for the opportunity for Kadokawa to make a quick yen here and there. I actually wrote about it on my blog in a little more detail.

It may not have looked like it, but my relationship with Lucky Star was one of frustration. Before the series ever aired I went out and obtained several chapters of the Manga, which I immediately liked for it's genuine wit and sardonic take on modern Japanese society. The use of that which Japanese Otaku revere most (loli-moe characters) to skewer them was one of the more interesting approaches I had seen up to that point. As the early anime episodes came out and were similar to those of the manga chapters and expanded upon their style I was very pleased and felt that since Kyoto Animation normally stuck religiously to the source material that I was in the clear for the very first series by them I could enjoy on my own grounds without the usual "clutter" from the peanut gallery that seems to accompany each of the studios series trying to steer me into a certain opinion camp (the initial fanbase of the series seemed to consist of me, Vexx, Kaoru Chujo ummmmmmm Skane I guess and but a few others).

Then something unexpected happened. I guess the first sign was the director being fired for apparently not going a good job (this set off alarm bells about what type of "job" they had in mind which would later prove to be justified). Then suddenly the series switches gears completely and becomes the opposite of what it was supposed to be. For like the only time ever Kyoto Animation decides to scuttle the source materials nature and instead Konata and crew become representations of Otaku that serve to comfort rather than parody them (but for a few occassions where the source materials nature manages to squeeze through). Konata becomes a Kadokawa product obsessed fan/advocate, Kagami becomes a Tsundere archetype instead of the more marginal/reserved character she was supposed to represent, and Miyuki and Tsukasa become Moeblobs instead of the black sheep and boke they were supposed to represent respectively. All the characters had these intrinsic flaws that were so great in the 4-Koma Manga that were merely glossed over in the anime in favour of flattering the Otaku fanbase and giving them whatever they desire (sometimes the events of episodes seemed to be governed by whatever was currently popular on 2ch) and making Kadokawa money. My dislike of Kadokawa's marketing methods is another story altogether.

My point is that Lucky Star's handling felt like a betrayal. I felt like I had been used and then mocked for trying to watch the show by the powers behind it (which came across as me just being a sour puss and poor sport if people were there for my admittedly colourful commentary on the series). At certain points during my extended viewership of the series I half expected Allen Funt to jump out with his trademark "Smile your on Candid Camera" as it all went down. It was made all the more frustrating when the fanbase exploded as a result of the changes and suddenly people started liking it for the very reasons it was starting to fall out of favour with me. If I had to described the exact feeling of the moment it would be like I was hanging out in the Court of Camelot (paradise) before regime change kicked in and I was thrown out as a whole new wave of patriots came in much larger in number than the ones that used to occupy the kingdom and much different in ideology and nature as well. Suddenly I was no longer welcome among the advocates of the very series I used to support.

For these reason Lucky Star makes this list for me, not because of a slow episode 1 or what have you, but because it let me down more than any anime in recent memory (besides maybe Gundam Seed Destiny).
Old 2008-02-27, 19:23   Link #434
Garve
Providence Breaker

Naruto.
I think it's kind of boring, but in the past many people I know made a hype about it. Also today.
Old 2008-02-27, 19:36   Link #435
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
I've always been picky with what I watched, so there's not much I dislike.

Buuut, I cant say I cared for School Days all too much. The only reason I watched it was I was hoping for one of the game bad endings. A lot of morbid curiosity..

And dont get me wrong, I like and enjoyed this series, but I didnt see why The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was so insanely popular, and for many, regarded as the "best anime" ect. I found it fun and enjoyable, but it wasnt exactly the best. For that, I think it's a bit overated.

I used to watch Naruto a few years back. It was the anime that finally got me to actively watch different kinds of anime, now just what was on T.V. (Around 7th grade I think) But I dont watch it anymore. It drags on too long and has deterioated since the Haku arc, which was truly the best. The Chuunin exam's were interesting. And then, it kind of dropped off. And cant say those fillers helped much at all.
Old 2008-02-27, 20:01   Link #436
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami_Mello View Post
I've always been picky with what I watched, so there's not much I dislike.
Same here. I've experimented, but I didn't really start following anime as they were released until last year, so I wasn't really watching series that I had heard weren't good.
Of course, as I have to finish watching any anime I have watched more than maybe 3-4 episodes of, I always have to finish those bad series that I've already started as they were airing.
Quote:
Buuut, I cant say I cared for School Days all too much. The only reason I watched it was I was hoping for one of the game bad endings. A lot of morbid curiosity..
Wouldn't you be satisfied, then?
And School Days is something you would put into the "anime you love, but everyone seems to hate" thread.
Quote:
And dont get me wrong, I like and enjoyed this series, but I didnt see why The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was so insanely popular, and for many, regarded as the "best anime" ect. I found it fun and enjoyable, but it wasnt exactly the best. For that, I think it's a bit overated.
A bit overrated?
It's probably one of the most overrated series of all time, next to Fullmetal Alchemist and possibly Death Note and Code Geass (though I liked the latter two and was mildly interested in the former).
Haruhi is one of my favourite series: unique in general, great animation, a likable array of characters, comedy, fun sci-fi stuff, nice music, etc., but I wouldn't say it's the greatest series ever, one of the ones that had the most impact, though.
Quote:
I used to watch Naruto a few years back. It was the anime that finally got me to actively watch different kinds of anime, now just what was on T.V. (Around 7th grade I think) But I dont watch it anymore. It drags on too long and has deterioated since the Haku arc, which was truly the best. The Chuunin exam's were interesting. And then, it kind of dropped off. And cant say those fillers helped much at all.
Though I haven't had to experience Naruto's transfer into fillers firsthand, I did with Bleach, and I've come to the conclusion that Studio Pierrot ruins its (popular) series with its attempts at original content, though the only three that it's produced that are well-known are Naruto, Bleach, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Old 2008-02-27, 20:44   Link #437
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Same here. I've experimented, but I didn't really start following anime as they were released until last year, so I wasn't really watching series that I had heard weren't good.
Of course, as I have to finish watching any anime I have watched more than maybe 3-4 episodes of, I always have to finish those bad series that I've already started as they were airing.
I'm the exact same way. If I start one, I usually have to end it. (except for Naruto)

Quote:
Wouldn't you be satisfied, then?
And School Days is something you would put into the "anime you love, but everyone seems to hate" thread.
I would be if I liked the anime a little.
And heh, you're right. I was so bent of thinking of anime I disliked, I forgot the threads title.

Quote:
A bit overrated?
It's probably one of the most overrated series of all time, next to Fullmetal Alchemist and possibly Death Note and Code Geass (though I liked the latter two and was mildly interested in the former).
Haruhi is one of my favourite series: unique in general, great animation, a likable array of characters, comedy, fun sci-fi stuff, nice music, etc., but I wouldn't say it's the greatest series ever, one of the ones that had the most impact, though.
True, it is the most. Guess I'm trying not to tread on fans here. I love Haruhi, bit I wouldnt call it the best. I dont think I even have one since it changes very often.

Quote:
Though I haven't had to experience Naruto's transfer into fillers firsthand, I did with Bleach, and I've come to the conclusion that Studio Pierrot ruins its (popular) series with its attempts at original content, though the only three that it's produced that are well-known are Naruto, Bleach, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Yep, fillers ruin most of their shows from the looks of it. I havnt tread much into Bleach except seeing a little here and there.
Old 2008-02-28, 01:23   Link #438
Oppius
Banned

Okay girls(and some guys)! This is the last time I bitching about Ouran. It was the show that I dislike but still lots of people liking it. Don't click that button if you not brave enough. Have a nice day...

Spoiler for Rants:

You can flame if you want. In fact I love flames. Flames can show me what I've missed up there.
Old 2008-02-28, 01:37   Link #439
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

^ I Can't Believe There People Hate Ouran O.o
I Thought It Awesome Anime
But Every one Have His/Her Own Taste ^^"
Old 2008-02-28, 05:59   Link #440
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
--joins in on the Ouran hate crew. i was pestered by friends to watch it, and when i did it bored me to death (of course, there were a few moments which made me laugh, but it failed to save the anime from my dislike).

recently watched Elfen Lied, and that too bored me for some reason. i tried hard to watch and like it, but it bored me. the gore wasn't bad, but it isn't exactly what i'm trying to find in an anime to like.
Closed Thread