AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-03, 06:24   Link #21
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Trailer for Shigurui: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9qbHYYlAJ...elated&search=

Looks amazingly good... excellent rendition of the manga art. Downloading episode 1 right now, let's see how they manage the action.

Spoiler for Opinions:
youtube link error- 'The url contained a malformed video id.'
GriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 10:38   Link #22
Aniki Meiski

5 Second Summary
Episode 1 Suruga Castle Imperial Tournament
Spoiler for Episode 1 Suruga Castle Imperial Tournament:
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 15:49   Link #23
a_nevels666

First episode was good, if a little slow. Looks pretty much like the manga, but it seems to have a slightly more realistic style. Let's wait and see how this turns out.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 16:41   Link #24
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Yeah definitely need a sub or you need to have read the manga. Or else this show isn't really enjoyable (besides the cool samurai setting and effects).
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 21:44   Link #25
Lunacy

I have not felt this excited after watching the first episode of any anime series in a long time! I have not read the manga nor am I an expert of Samurai in general, but I really loved the atmosphere, the animation, the concept of rewinding the story, yada yada yada.

I wonder if they will continue censoring the gory scenes by blurring it out just like in episode 1? I don't mind the censoring since they did a great job depicting exactly what he was doing to himself. I am just curious is all. Plus, it is most likely that we will get the chance to own the uncensored version when it is released on DVD in the near future. That will be too awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Soul View Post
Well, unlike Elfen Lied the violence and barbarity in Shigurui don't serve only as shock value. You could say they are an integral part of the world the author is depicting. Or what do you think what happens when someone swings a razor-sharp blade into your stomach, that candies would come out?
I got this feeling from the first episode alone. I truly didn't think it was just for the shock value, unlike Elfen Lied. I felt the violent scenes in the first episode helped how much pride these Samurai warriors posses. It makes me feel thankful for not living in their time period. ^^;

I also have to make a comment about Shigurui's BGM. The BGM truly adds to the intense atmosphere of this series. One part which I vividly remember is the confrontation in the dojo. This particular scene is memorable for me because you can hear the amazingly realistic sound of a cicada in the background, which made me feel like it's summer time in their world. And also the spectacular use of lighting, which I will not get into at this moment.

I am eagerly awaiting to see what Shigurui will have in store for us.

P.S. - I marked that sentence in bold letters because that statement made me laugh out loud so much! ^^;;
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 04:23   Link #26
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

So then, this is an anime adaptation of a guro title?
Old 2007-07-10, 02:42   Link #27
Mr. Stuff
Odorimashou ka?

Other than the production values being seemingly very high in this, the other thing that makes me want to watch it is the feel of realism they've managed to make permeate the show like a heavy shroud. As has been said, the ultra-violence seems to contribute to the gravity of the depicted world rather than just being for show. Although the first episode was a bit slow, I can sort of see where they're going with the story, and it looks like this one will probably pick up some pacing, or at least feature some much better fights as it progresses. I'll be following this series as it comes out for sure. It's a nice complement to Seirei as far as getting my sword-fighting fix this season.
Mr. Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 08:35   Link #28
Borkman
It's me!

This looks to be the most interesting anime of the season. The visuals and especially the audio in the first episode were spot on, and set a very serious and dark tone unlike anything I've seen in other anime. I've read the chapters of the manga released by Kotonoha, and I have to say that for once, the anime ain't worse. It even keeps a nice pace as it almost manages to squeeze in three chapter's worth in merely twenty minutes.

Being a fan of Seinen and Guro to a small extent (I like Shintaro Kago's work and Suehiro Maruo's art, that's about as far as it goes), I'm very happy to see that this doesn't look like it's targeted at kids at all.
Borkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 16:55   Link #29
Windspirit

This is no guro. Guro is a pejorative term to quality Ecchi The Killer (yeah, nickname XD) or... Ecchi The Killer, mostly.

Guro is a shorter version of "Ero Guro", which means "Erotic Grotesque Nonsense". I think the word "Nonsense" is the most important : Ero Guro qualifies an anime (or movie or whatever) that is sexually violent and extremely gore just for show. This means that the whole story is made up JUST to put gore and sexually violent scenes.

I've read the first three volumes and watched the first episode.

Well... First episode was kinda good. But I don't think I would've understood everything if I haven't read the manga. It's way to fast... The manga was slower, but more detailed. This first episode lacked the richness of the manga's narration.

And... um... ONGOING EIGHT volumes manga, adapted into TWELVE anime episodes ? And the first episode adapted about volume one's first half...

I would like to know why has AnimeNewsNetwork rated this : "Adults Only ! Contains explicit sexual content".

This is for hentai. And WoWoW's website rated it "15-"...

The manga wasn't sexually explicit.
Spoiler for Manga Volume 3:

Insted of private parts, there sure are quite some bare breasts. But... um... guys, we're in anime, bare breasts are kinda... normal ?
Windspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 22:07   Link #30
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The more I know, the less I want to watch. ¬.¬
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 07:02   Link #31
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Oh wow!

Ep 1

Can't make much of the story, but this seems pretty intent on being very slow paced about things, so there's not all too much to comment on, except that the setting does make a refreshing change from the norm of modern day Japanese high schools, etc, etc. But never mind any of that, it's not what caught my eye about this show. Now that is how you put together a visual presentation. The directing was amazing, the animation was incredible (all of a sudden, Seirei no Moribito has competition for best animated piece of the year) and the atmosphere was incredibly absorbing (but that's almost a given for a Madhouse anime). I really appreciated that first ep... it shows just how powerful anime can be as a visual medium when the animators choose to put a decent amount of care into their work.

Not a particularly ultra-violent episode, but the hints were there that there's lots of ultra-violence to come. My opinion of that is, as long as it doesn't impede the storytelling, it's fine. There are two hopes that I have for this series though. The first is that the story does the visual execution justice. The second is that they maintain this level of animation throughout. If these two things happen we could have a really outstanding anime on our hands.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 10:46   Link #32
7Th
Mixtape

The atmosphere was amazingly Texholyze-ish.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 00:45   Link #33
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

@Windspirit: Actually, I asked because the guy who did Apocalypse Zero manga is linked to this one. Apocalypse Zero is in this category apparently. Your description of a part of manga vol. 3 isn't making it sound otherwise. Also, there really isn't a lot of info in English on this manga.

It's prob rated Adults only because the source may be "Adults only". The TV version is censored after all.

Be as it may, the first episode had a unique presentation and great animation quality. Since it's in this section, it's time for me to find the sub to understand it more.
Old 2007-07-23, 03:02   Link #34
Takanome

Woah just saw the TV version of episode 1 and it looks like theres no censoring:
Spoiler for not for little kids:
Takanome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 07:03   Link #35
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Can I remind everyone that this is the discussion thread for the Shigurui anime. If you wish to discuss (or spoil) the manga then please post in the Manga forum (a new Shigurui manga thread would need to be created there). Thanks.

From the Fansubs Forum Guidelines
Quote:
I understand many Anime series are also available in manga form. Please keep all manga related discussion in the Manga Forum. In doing so this will prevent confusion and keep accidental manga spoilers down to the minimum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 22:06   Link #36
kauldron26
Med Student

whoa... this anime just stole the award for best animation for 2007. bar. none. Darker than Black and Serei moribito have nothing on the first ep alone. now lets just hope the story is as good as the animation.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 17:15   Link #37
Lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takanome View Post
Woah just saw the TV version of episode 1 and it looks like theres no censoring:
Spoiler for not for little kids:
Woah.. the version I watched had that particular scene (stomach part) blurred out.

When is episode 2 being aired? Is it not aired weekly?
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 10:17   Link #38
pablo212
Founder/Lead of Flomp

Send a message via MSN to pablo212
Episode 1 was subbed by Flomp and Episode 2 aired hmm 10minutes ago expect the sub this weekend in all its HD glory....btw it reminded me of 300 gone samurai!
pablo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 14:43   Link #39
kininku buster
I wanna be Itou Makoto

Watched the first episode a couple of days ago and I was blown away! Animation is crazy and the story is dark and moody. Can't wait for episode 2!
kininku buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 12:45   Link #40
rman0099
On my nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacy View Post
Woah.. the version I watched had that particular scene (stomach part) blurred out.

When is episode 2 being aired? Is it not aired weekly?

Mine was blurred too. Were there two versions floating around out there? I was about to wait till the subs from a DVD source came out (hate censoring).

Can't wait to see the second ep so I can see where this series is headed.
rman0099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extreme violence, mature, shounen