AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-21, 18:09   Link #1
videoman190

Demon's Souls (PS3) Is coming to the US

It's Official Demon's Souls is coming to the US thanks to Atlus! Demon's Souls is a Action RPG for the PlayStation 3 here's the info from the official website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibilemonchan View Post
ATLUS TO BRING GROUNDBREAKING ACTION RPG EXPERIENCE TO NORTH AMERICA WITH DEMON'S SOULS™ FOR PLAYSTATION®3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
Enter a world of demons and darkness, where death looms around every corner

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- MAY 20, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc., your shining knights in armor, today announced that they have secured the North American publishing rights for Demon's Souls™, a groundbreaking action RPG experience for PLAYSTATION®3 system. Beautiful, compelling, and unforgiving, Demon's Souls is the hardcore RPG experience PLAYSTATION 3 system owners have been waiting for since the platform's launch.

Revolutionary online features support your adventure like never before, presenting seamless interconnectivity that serves in every instance to enhance the single-player game. Team up with two other players in simultaneous cooperative play, working together to topple some of the game's colossal bosses, or force your way into the games of skilled players and challenge them to PvP battle. Leave hints and clues for those who will follow in your footsteps; either intentionally or through your own inadvertent demise, your bloodstains will allow your successors to view a replay of your death, hinting at how to avoid your gruesome fate. Unprecedented in its depth and subtlety, peerless in its relentlessly challenging gameplay, Demon's Souls is the ultimate action RPG.

Experience the game Eurogamer.net awarded 9 out of 10, hailing it as "absolutely compelling; dark, detailed, unforgiving, creatively cruel," and adding, "you can learn to love Demon's Souls like few other games in the world."

Demon's Souls for PLAYSTATION 3 system is scheduled for North American release in fall 2009.

About Demon's Souls
King Allant the XII, the last king of Boletaria, searched tirelessly to expand his might. The Nexus, a great ice shrine nestled in the mountains, bestowed the power of the souls onto him, bringing prosperity to his kingdom. Still unsated, he returned again to the Nexus, where he foolishly awakened the Old One from its eternal slumber. This long forgotten evil, now wrought upon Boletaria, plunged the realm into darkness and fog. A mighty demon horde poured into the kingdom, devouring the souls of men.

Champions from other realms learned of Boletaria's fate and sought to deliver the kingdom from evil; none would return from the cursed land. Called upon by a mysterious maiden in black, you go forth, the last hope for humanity in a place lost to demons and darkness...

Key Features
  • Ultimate hardcore RPG challenge -- In this brutal land, death is inevitable, but not final. Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and ensorcel some of the most horrible, vicious enemies ever encountered. Are you strong enough to face the impossible and win?
  • Ground-breaking online capabilities -- Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, replay death scenes, cooperatively revive dead players, or invade another player's game to wreak havoc. Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast, and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.
  • Freeform and flexible -- The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options. Set your own pace and progress as you like. Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills and equipment.
  • You act, the world reacts -- The World Tendency system changes the aggressiveness of monsters and the rewards for killing them based on players' actions. Different events and NPCs may be triggered, as well.

Demon's Souls has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

###

About Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Located in Irvine, California and founded in 1991, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is renowned for its proud tradition of publishing exceptional role-playing games with strong niche appeal. The Atlus library of critically acclaimed video games includes Odin Sphere, Trauma Center series, and the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei series. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com.

For breaking news, special promotions, insider info, and more, visit http://www.atlus.com/faithful to join the ranks of the Atlus Faithful!

©2009 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 19:28   Link #2
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Wait.

A Western RPG. Made by the Japanese.

Wow, I, uh. Huh.

I never liked the way WRPGs played much, but this seems interesting, and if Atlus is publishing it...

Still, next thing you know we'll see a JPRG made in the States...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 21:21   Link #3
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wait.

A Western RPG. Made by the Japanese.

Wow, I, uh. Huh.

I never liked the way WRPGs played much, but this seems interesting, and if Atlus is publishing it...
This one is worth playing, if you're the type who love to face challenge. Not the kind of "frustrating and cheap" difficulty, but the one where you have to use your head.
Most of people who played this game give me a positive response whenever I asked them about Demon's Souls.
Old 2009-05-22, 00:36   Link #4
fourtwenty
ざわ。。ざわ。。

Awesome I was really hoping this game would come over here. Can't wait to pick it up.
fourtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 06:26   Link #5
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm always a sucker for punishing difficulty in RPGs, even in action RPGs which I usually don't touch. This would be actually the first RPG in the PS3 I'm looking forward to in the near future. I was actually contemplating importing it as I've heard the original has the option to be played in English (and good English at that), but since Atlus is publishing this, might as well support my current favourite company as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
Still, next thing you know we'll see a JPRG made in the States...
Apart from numerous indie RPGs, there is the upcoming Black Sigil. So yeah, not really surprised lol.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 07:16   Link #6
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Its by From Software so if you ever played any of their games you should know what to expect.
Old 2009-05-22, 09:24   Link #7
Viperseven

Waiting for the NA release too, a lot cheaper to import from US/CAN so ill just kindly wait and support Atlus while at it. God bless region free gaming :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Its by From Software so if you ever played any of their games you should know what to expect.
at least Eurogamer liked it, which seems pretty rare as they tend to give low scores.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/de...-review?page=1

Not to mention that many of the gamers have praised it quite a lot.

Personally I like armored core series, medicore reviews maybe but its still one of the best mech games out there. Its one of those series you eather love or hate.
Viperseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 19:03   Link #8
Sciel
Etoilé

Its a fantastic game , i've personally played it , finished it and enjoyed it a lot . I can think only of a couple of flaws

1) For some odd reason , when you destroy objects (eg: you destroy a bed) the game suffers from slowdowns.
2) The story isn't the most satisfying
3) Ending is probably the weakest part of the game .
4) World Tendency is too dependant on online gameplay . Unless you do everything right , chances are you won't get pure white tendency without going online .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 21:18   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Considering that its an action RPG from Atlus, I definitely expect that it will turn out as awesome as always!

Quote:
Reminds me of Star Ocean: The Last Hope..

Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 14:45   Link #10
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Had just play this for a while. I must say that it reminds me of Monster Hunter, but more RPG like or something. Anyway, can someone explain me how the online mode works ? I think I understand a bit about bloodstain, but what's with this co-op play with Soul Links and giving hints ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 15:05   Link #11
Rias

Giving hints is done by pressing select. You leave a message for other to see. You or other can rate the message by pressing select, while you are standing on a message. When a message is rated, the person gets some hp recovery, and that message will stay on the server longer for others to see.

Co-op play is done by two ways. You can summon blue phantoms, but only in human form. Just go on top of a blue message and summon the people you want to. If you are in soul form, you can offer to help others by using the blue eye stone at summon points. Then people can summon you into their worlds.

Summon points are usually next to an archstone, but there are several exceptions. Look for messages that say "you can summon here", or see if your blue stone lights up in your inventory, which indicate places you can summon/let others summon you.
Old 2010-01-01, 15:15   Link #12
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I see, at last I found out at how to summon people and do co-op play with them ;_; thank you Rias. But what's a blue stone ? Do I get it at the start of the game or will I get it later in the game ?

Old 2010-01-01, 17:55   Link #13
Rias

You get the blue eye stone after you have beaten the 1st boss, talked to the maiden, and the monumental upstairs in the nexus.
Old 2010-01-01, 17:59   Link #14
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

this game is awesome, I still dont see how its "Insainly hard" there are parts of the game that can be exploited so bad to level up and bosses are cake to kill once you know their weakness. not to mention the Dragon God and Storm Lord
Old 2010-01-01, 18:55   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
this game is awesome, I still dont see how its "Insainly hard" there are parts of the game that can be exploited so bad to level up and bosses are cake to kill once you know their weakness. not to mention the Dragon God and Storm Lord
I think it's less an issue of insanely hard than you just needing to be cautious. It's less of a problem if you move slowly and keep your guard up. But if you start running around then death is just around the corner. Impressively when I wasn't being careless I died less .
Old 2010-01-01, 18:59   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it's less an issue of insanely hard than you just needing to be cautious. It's less of a problem if you move slowly and keep your guard up. But if you start running around then death is just around the corner. Impressively when I wasn't being careless I died less .
i put down messages everywhere where there is a trap ahead. I love the Note and blood splater system.

Hopefuly future games will look up to Demons souls
Old 2010-01-01, 19:19   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Considering that its an action RPG from Atlus, I definitely expect that it will turn out as awesome as always!

Reminds me of Star Ocean: The Last Hope..

the only diffrence is that the dragon in Demons Souls, is the DRAGON GOD :P
Old 2010-01-02, 00:08   Link #18
u43368
Disabled By Request

The game is probably my favorite right behind Shadow Tower Abyss.

The game isn't that hard though. You want frustrating? Play MW2 online.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 07:17   Link #19
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
i put down messages everywhere where there is a trap ahead. I love the Note and blood splater system.

Hopefuly future games will look up to Demons souls
That really was a great system. Getting a boost when you need it from a recommendation or reading something that really helps you was great. A pretty creative online system and it worked. Gave one of the most stressful parts of the game with invaders. Never know where they might show up and what kind of set-up they are using.
Old 2010-01-02, 09:41   Link #20
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Ah, at last I got the blue stones. Might try that after my connection got fixed...it keeps getting disconnected after a few minutes when it's back online @_@ I can't even play my blazblue D:

One of the hint that I found pretty useful is the one at the first stage (I don't know the name of the castle) at the parts where there's a pathway leading into two paths. There's a hint there that said 'Pincer attack', and because of that I managed to get out of that place unscrapped. The other one is when there's a slope or something and there's a hint that said 'Watch out your back"... I don't quite get that one at first, but then I realized that he meant about the boulders that will crush you from behind while you tried to fend off the enemies at that slope ;_;

I must say that it's pretty fun and creative >w<