AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-01-22, 21:28   Link #521
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
Stuopidget, have you read the novels?
I've read the official translated version of the first three volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
... Gets a bit confusing trying to pick things apart from the way I remember it from the books, though. On top of that, Rio's character seems to be entirely anime original.
I don't know what to think about Rio, especially now that she seems to appear again in the preview.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 21:33   Link #522
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
The awesomeness of this episode has improved my opinion tremendously.

Spoiler for Hey Izaya! Duck!:

Spoiler for FALCON PUNCH!:
I really have to say I enjoyed that first one way more than I should . Something about Izaya getting owned is just a joy. Sure he got up, but it was still a fun thing to watch. Not sure if that's biasing my opinion that I really like Shizuo's character. I mean he's just tossing things around and beating the crap out of thugs. That's just fun to watch . Besides his logic pretty solid. Aimed for a vital spot, so obviously the guy was trying to kill him, which means the guy had some pain coming to him.

Overall liked this one a lot. Definitely a crazy day for Mikado though. Plus he didn't get as much development with Sonohara. Still funny that he took her and ran, but then ran out of gas so she took over the sprint .
Old 2010-01-22, 21:51   Link #523
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
Spoiler for FALCON PUNCH!:
That guy was lucky that he wasn't wearing boxers.
Old 2010-01-22, 22:48   Link #524
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I don't know what to think about Rio, especially now that she seems to appear again in the preview.
That could be just footage from episode 1 being reshown again. Maybe to explain what role Shinra played in that case. Rio seems to have her 'dark' expression on again in the preview, so one has to wonder.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 23:24   Link #525
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I love those gifs, especially with the one of Izaya getting owned. By the way, what do you guys think of his mysterious purse cutting and hair shaving attacks? Sure he pulls out a knife later but I doubt he used that, maybe Celty isn't the only one with shadow powers (some of the art on the website seems to suggest that as well).
And I like the theory about the narrator of the episode narrating the chats, I had been thinking about that as well but, since I stink at identifying voices I wasn't going to suggest it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
I I'm preparing myself to go floored by Erika and Shinra when they appear properly /o/ Screw favouritism. When characters are nearly all awesome who needs it? 8)b
Erika as in, the girl in the otaku gang? I hope so since she's the one that caught my eye the most probably my inner cosplayer there....
And the image you posted isn't loading, something about too many IPs viewing it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 23:44   Link #526
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post

Erika as in, the girl in the otaku gang? I hope so since she's the one that caught my eye the most probably my inner cosplayer there....
And the image you posted isn't loading, something about too many IPs viewing it.
Argh. Remind me not to get sleepy again orz I mean Yagiri Namie, not Erika D: Though a bit weird, I do like Erika's fashion sense a lot... Her cap is sure lovely there... <3 I need to take a good coffee in the morning...

Yes, I know that having a fetish to white lab coats is weird at the very least 8D;;

Also is this the image that doesn't show? <3' (Unless imagehost is not working properly, I can change it to imageshack :c)

Spoiler for Thumbnail Image:

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 00:07   Link #527
SageGaiGar
You are Next

For a bit i was wondering if there were any series out at the moment I should really care about. And then I started watching this. Needless to say, I've got a new favorite series for this season. IZAYA xD
Old 2010-01-23, 00:16   Link #528
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
The answer to this is surprisingly simple yet hilarious when find out who is who.

33% accuracy, but I would like to see your reasoning behind it.

Okay is it just me or does this guy look like a Japanese Jimmy Page.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 01:29   Link #529
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Now THAT episode is so much better. Fight scenes were just freaking awesome. Not to mention shippy wise... I dunno, with so much harem I see, it's kinda refreshing its the male who takes the initiative and does the 'chasing' this time around. Can't help but really ship MikadoxAnri lol.

Now if only Simon would not narrate another episode EVER... man, he just felt so boring.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 01:49   Link #530
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Now THAT episode is so much better. Fight scenes were just freaking awesome. Not to mention shippy wise... I dunno, with so much harem I see, it's kinda refreshing its the male who takes the initiative and does the 'chasing' this time around. Can't help but really ship MikadoxAnri lol.
Indeed, they were quite cute and amusing together:

Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 01:49   Link #531
Kagura89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I dunno, with so much harem I see, it's kinda refreshing its the male who takes the initiative and does the 'chasing' this time around.
Except that leaves his best friend behind just to get a girl,that very uncool lol.Also, in the end nothing really happens because Anri only thank Mikado & walks away(serves you right Mikado for ditching Kida behind).But I interested how their relationship progress.
Kagura89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 01:53   Link #532
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, two 'normal' characters in a sea of weirdos. I guess that makes them a couple already. If at least none of the either supposedly has super human strength or does something crazy.

I guess I should have known this series jumped the 'realism' shark with the headless biker, but wow. This episode goes into Dragonball levels.

PS- Oh yeah, I also thought FALCAWWWWN PAUNCH at that scene. lol
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 02:02   Link #533
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
Except that leaves his best friend behind just to get a girl,that very uncool lol.Also, in the end nothing really happens because Anri only thank Mikado & walks away(serves you right Mikado for ditching Kida behind).But I interested how their relationship progress.
Guy's still pretty darn happy for what little moments they have together.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 02:03   Link #534
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

THIS is the only series i remotely care about this season...i love the pulp fiction story style, the massive cast and the unpredicatability.

izaya & shizou totally steal this show--they're the most interesting characters for me. kida is also adorable ♥

and shizou punching that thug...LMAO!
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 02:03   Link #535
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
I don't that intentional lol, it look more like he got caught in the moment more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Well, two 'normal' characters in a sea of weirdos. I guess that makes them a couple already. If at least none of the either supposedly has super human strength or does something crazy.

I guess I should have known this series jumped the 'realism' shark with the headless biker, but wow. This episode goes into Dragonball levels.

PS- Oh yeah, I also thought FALCAWWWWN PAUNCH at that scene. lol
Ah, but you forget, that this is the same guy that wrote Baccano!

Besides Shizuo does some explanation for his strength anyway in the novels.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 02:17   Link #536
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

True. Baccano could actually be a good indicator to how weird the combat can get.

Which actually somewhat disappoints me because he could tweak the writing a bit better, maybe put it all in a realistic setting and maximize the plot element, but alas that's not his style of storytelling.

And though it may come across better in a novel, the dialog needs some work too. Narration over narration, each character talking like they're in a monologue instead of a genuine conversation at times (I still think episode 2 was the best in that regard to the back and forth dialog).

Well, I guess I'm only this critical of this show because at least this show tries to be unique and have its own sense of story.
Old 2010-01-23, 02:27   Link #537
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Listen, if you're 15 and there's girl potential on the line, "best friend" is just gonna have to deal with it. Kida would have done the same thing. Besides, I think Mikado really just got an adrenaline rush and acted on impulse - which for an overprotected teen from a small town must have felt really good.

This series is pretty much pure class, from the masterpiece OP on down. Writing, music, acting and animation are all top-notch.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 03:23   Link #538
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I love those gifs, especially with the one of Izaya getting owned. By the way, what do you guys think of his mysterious purse cutting and hair shaving attacks? Sure he pulls out a knife later but I doubt he used that, maybe Celty isn't the only one with shadow powers (some of the art on the website seems to suggest that as well).
And I like the theory about the narrator of the episode narrating the chats, I had been thinking about that as well but, since I stink at identifying voices I wasn't going to suggest it.
About Izaya, it was obviously the knife from the start. You see his hand moving in his pocket just before he cuts the purse. He's just that fast with it.

And it's not a theory, it's the narrator's voice, fact. Trust those of us who don't stink at identifying voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post

We already knew the guy could lift and toss vending machines around from episode 1 and 2. Nothing he did in this episode was any less realistic than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Listen, if you're 15 and there's girl potential on the line, "best friend" is just gonna have to deal with it. Kida would have done the same thing.
Except that he, you know, didn't. In case you missed it, he was also there under the same circumstances as Mikado, yet I didn't see him leaving his best friend behind to score with a girl.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 03:24   Link #539
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Guy's still pretty darn happy for what little moments they have together.
But he's still a damn idiot at the end.

The girl is interested and chasing after the guy who skipped school (Harima Seiji) and both Mikado and Kida saw it the day before. During the class scene, she was looking at Harima's Seiji's desk. In fact, the reason why she was in that situation to begin with was because of Harima Seiji.

I totally bet she became a class rep to get access to Harima's Seiji's address so that she can go to his home "officially" to see him.

Last edited by orion; 2010-01-23 at 08:09.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 03:57   Link #540
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
We already knew the guy could lift and toss vending machines around from episode 1 and 2. Nothing he did in this episode was any less realistic than that.
Well, duh.

This show seems to fall under the category of shows where the 'realistic' everyday life is intermixed with these crazy avatars of personalities and even super human abilities.

And man, that Russian guy scares me. I just know that he's holding back all his strength even from the stuff we saw in ep 3.

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen