AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-07-13, 09:41   Link #161
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Are we going to see a western Blu-Ray release of this movie? I'm really doing my best to resist the temptation to get the Japanese Blu-Ray version in hope that a western one comes out. Else I'll have to give up and spill my cash (and my god importing BR Japan is a bit too expensive).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 12:27   Link #162
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Are we going to see a western Blu-Ray release of this movie? I'm really doing my best to resist the temptation to get the Japanese Blu-Ray version in hope that a western one comes out. Else I'll have to give up and spill my cash (and my god importing BR Japan is a bit too expensive).
From what i know, there's been no new information regarding the movie's US release since it was announced, so not sure about Blu-ray version.
Old 2008-09-26, 21:57   Link #163
Cal-Reflector

Just watched this today. First noticed it when I stumbled across an AMV of it on youtube; it was fantastic (search: come alive stranger).

I agree with the consensus: Simple story, great art and animation and action. I think the seiyuus for Nanashi and Kotarou did a fantastic job as well, as it appears they are rookies in the field. I hope to see great work from them in the future as well.

The ending, which left viewers wondering as to Nanashi's fate, felt like a Western theme in which the hero's fate is left up in the air as he/they ride into the sunset.

The setting and pace of the story felt like a tribute to an old genre of Feudal Japanese war sagas, where the emphasis is also not so much the plot but the spectacle of large battles, intense duels in grand stages, as well as several common themes:

1) The rounin in search of redemption, or in this case, stumbles across his opportunity for redemption.
2) The demise of bushido and loyalty in general; coups, violent betrayal, etc.

One other minor criticism: I thought the music, while good, lacked variety. This becomes especially apparent when you listen to the OST; too many of the tracks are renditions of the one main theme.

This was an solid watch; it certainly didn't feel long, which movies with more ambitious plots often step into. 8.5/10.

If you have time, do visit youtube to check out that music video (the music is from Linkin Park's latest album), it's a nice one.
Old 2008-09-27, 17:58   Link #164
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
One other minor criticism: I thought the music, while good, lacked variety. This becomes especially apparent when you listen to the OST; too many of the tracks are renditions of the one main theme.
I can understand why you'd see the bad points out of that, though it's a lovely piece and i like each different version that appears on the soundtrack. Also it really doesn't bother me when i have Naoki Sato's works on random playlist.
Old 2008-09-27, 20:47   Link #165
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I can understand why you'd see the bad points out of that, though it's a lovely piece and i like each different version that appears on the soundtrack. Also it really doesn't bother me when i have Naoki Sato's works on random playlist.
Well, to each his own.

I also noticed after rewatching that Tobimaru the dog serves more purpose than just a cuddly bodyguard: He's a symbol of loyalty in a story where no loyalty exists--among humans that is. Servants betray masters for greed and out of fear for their own life (this includes the protagonist as well, as it seems implied that he was forced to kill the children of his former Lord in order to save his life), but the dog remains faithful. The theme fits well in context with what Nanashi says to the monk's--and his own--shame.
Old 2008-09-29, 04:18   Link #166
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Bandai Ent did say this at the NY Anime Festival...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab's live feed at the Bandai panel
14:00:51 <bay|NYAF|Bandai> Sword of the stranger...
14:01:24 <bay|NYAF|Bandai> (Trailer)
14:03:19 <bay|NYAF|Bandai> FOUR skus
14:03:28 <bay|NYAF|Bandai> blu-ray regular release 39.98 and LE box with OST (price TBD)
14:03:45 <bay|NYAF|Bandai> as well as DVD regular and limited edition box with OST (29.98/TBD MSRP resp)
Old 2008-09-29, 18:54   Link #167
Cal-Reflector

Okay, I just noticed another device:

Towards the end, when Nanashis sitting with the wreckage and remembering how he had killed his former Lord's children in order to survive; when he comes to and finally resolves himself to the right thing, climbs out of the wreckage, onto the roof, and jumps through the flames, I was reminded of how going through fire/over a fire pit is a cleansing ceremony in many cultures. Appropriate, because the moment through the flames he was in a sense redeemed from the burden of his "sin."

I like this movie way too much...
Old 2008-11-24, 01:17   Link #168
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, having just watched this, I obviously concur that the visuals were amazing. Sure the fight scenes were Godly, but the backgrounds and character design were their less flashy equal. But I really think some of the "story is too simple" criticism misses the point. It's supposed to be simple - this is something between a (rather bloody) fairy tale and a Japanese western in the Kurosawa tradition. The story is stripped down to it's bare essentials by it's very design. If it's well-told - and I certainly think this one was - it's extraordinarily effective.

Beautiful, admirable stuff. A near masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 13:23   Link #169
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

This is one of the best films I have ever seen in my life. I hope it will get Oscar nominated!
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 22:48   Link #170
mikeymccl1
Otaku?...yeah...

Great movie, probably going to go see it in theaters during the limited release.
Old 2009-01-15, 12:50   Link #171
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

It's going to be in theaters again? It had a tiny release this summer, and I didn't go. I really just want to hear Ihojin no Yaiba in stereo/surround sound.
Old 2009-01-15, 14:11   Link #172
Dark Lord
Evil Overlord

Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Lord
I've never seen this before. I bought my ticket for the theater release and I'm really looking forward to it.
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 17:23   Link #173
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Me too, but too bad it's dubbed.
Old 2009-01-16, 00:00   Link #174
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU... I have class on Feb. 5th! Why is it one night only?! Damn!
Old 2009-02-06, 01:29   Link #175
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anybody go? Surprisingly good dub, I thought - not bad at all. Looks fantastic on a big screen.
Old 2009-02-06, 10:46   Link #176
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anybody go? Surprisingly good dub, I thought - not bad at all. Looks fantastic on a big screen.
I went and was rather disappointed that it was dubbed but I'll agree it looked good on the big screen. The dubbing wasn't horrible but Kotarou's VA grated on me alot and I didn't feel all the voices fit the chars they were attached to, though I did think Nanashi's VA was the closest and most enjoyable.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:55   Link #177
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I went and had a blast.

Looked really great on the big screen especially the last fight. Little details showed up nicely too.

I loved Nanashi's VA.
Old 2009-02-06, 13:50   Link #178
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
I went and was rather disappointed that it was dubbed but I'll agree it looked good on the big screen. The dubbing wasn't horrible but Kotarou's VA grated on me alot and I didn't feel all the voices fit the chars they were attached to, though I did think Nanashi's VA was the closest and most enjoyable.
I thought Aidan Drummond did pretty decent as Kotarou, by N.A. child actor standards. He focused on the belligerent side of the character more, but that gave him a nice toughness that seemed admirable given his circumstances. The rest of the cast was pretty much the "Vancouver Cabal" - Scott McNeil and the same bunch of Canadians that did everything from ReBoot (yes, that's where the user name comes from!) to a hundred anime dubs. But within that context, the casting was pretty on the spot I thought. Yes, I would much have preferred to see it subbed (though I'd already seen the blu-ray version that way) and I'm lucky enough to live in a place where I'll be able to see the utterly brilliant "Ponyo" that way this summer - but I nevertheless appreciated the chance to see this outstanding film on a big screen and not have it butchered.

It was interesting to see the Bones art folks talking about the muted color palette during the "making of" feature that followed, because that really stood out, even on a big screen. Compare it with "Ponyo" when you see it, because that's probably Miyazaki's brightest film in terms of color usage, and it fits the mood of the piece. Here, Bones was telling a dark story set on the cusp of winter in the feudal era, and they used browns and burnt reds and grays brilliantly... It really stood out compared to most of what we see in modern animation.

Gotta love hand-drawn - long may it live! My animation-skeptic pal would probably look at this film and and ask why bother making it animated? It could have been live-action! But that's the point. You could easily see Toshiro Mifune as No-Name, with Kurosawa directing - it's a classic story. As Brad Bird likes to point out, animation is not a genre. It's a method of film making that can encompass any genre brilliantly, if the skill level is there. This is something the Japanese still embrace for more easily than Americans do.
Old 2009-02-11, 16:58   Link #179
Dark Lord
Evil Overlord

Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I enjoyed it very much and am glad I got to see it on the big screen. This is one I will buy because I'll definitely enjoy watching it again. The characters were interesting and the action was fantastic.
Spoiler for From the Movie:
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:53   Link #180
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Though for no name...

Spoiler for Live action No-Name:

Only see the movie subbed, loved it.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical