AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 13:51   Link #1001
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I think he means RAM memory.
If thats the case, than its 88MiB not 88MB, 1MiB > 1MB.

MiB processes information differently than MB.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 14:28   Link #1002
Sides

Not 100% sure, but can the internet channel actually access both RAM pools?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 21:54   Link #1003
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

There is some good news, Nintendo officially drops the Wii price to $199. Now the Wii doesn't look so overpriced compared to the full featured Playstation 3 Slim and a little more attractive.
Old 2009-09-24, 14:19   Link #1004
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
There is some good news, Nintendo officially drops the Wii price to $199. Now the Wii doesn't look so overpriced compared to the full featured Playstation 3 Slim and a little more attractive.
It's the final attempt to milk the wii out of what it's worth, considering how the "Wii HD" will be out in a year and a half (or so estimated)

Although it doesn't seem appealing (especially because they're probably gonna block homebrew) cause all it is, is an engine modification. Although, this does mean good things are coming in the wii's future (Dead rising Wii sequel with more zombies with camera?)

Although Nintendo has been having problems accidentally placing important hacks into their games (SSBB, Legend of Zelda, Lego Indiana Jones, Etc.) so I guess it wouldn't be too far off, but they might prevent USB reading with anything, so USB backups won't work.

Also, I know someone who works at gamestop who managed to get some of the upcoming wii games if anyone wants to look at them

Spoiler for List of games until April 2010 (Can Change):

Not sure how accurate it is...but yea..

My few top picks from the list in order of Importance

1. FF Crystal Bearers (If you haven't seen the gameplay yet, then...wow.)
2. Drawn the Life (I hope this is a sign for Scribblenauts Wii)
3. Super mario bros
4. Metroid: Other M
5. Red Steel 2

The games we must find and burn all copies of

1. Marvel Super Hero Squad (Talk about ruining the classics..)
Kytherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 15:15   Link #1005
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157
Now the Wii doesn't look so overpriced compared to the full featured Playstation 3 Slim
It. Was. Not. Overpriced. Different business model.
Old 2009-09-25, 14:42   Link #1006
ZeroForever

oh please, cost of production wise wii specs and parts... they could have priced it at like 150 a year ago and still made a profit easily. It's just due to the commerical markets, demand was high enough that they didn't need to.
The only reason they are now is really due to surge in demand for the other systems from there drops has caused the Wii's sales to drop 50% (despite 'whatever her name is' said in that interview they have on gamespot, it's obvious that the wii's price drop was in response to sony/M$)
Old 2009-09-25, 14:53   Link #1007
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
oh please, cost of production wise wii specs and parts... they could have priced it at like 150 a year ago and still made a profit easily. It's just due to the commerical markets, demand was high enough that they didn't need to.
The only reason they are now is really due to surge in demand for the other systems from there drops has caused the Wii's sales to drop 50% (despite 'whatever her name is' said in that interview they have on gamespot, it's obvious that the wii's price drop was in response to sony/M$)
I hope you aren't working for organisation that wants to make money. For some odd reason i do quiet fancy that all products are given away for free, that would be a perfect world. Damn those kapitalisten schweine ^^
Old 2009-09-25, 15:14   Link #1008
ZeroForever

you do realize the the parts in the wii aren't much higher spec then a original xbox/gamecube (which go for like less then 70), the motion technology isn't that expensive either it's been around for a while they were just innovative with it, with the wii making a profit for each sold since launch. Since cost of production for computer/electric parts tends to drop by 10-25% a year and considering the wii is over 3 years old now, the general profit they get for each wii sold should be more the double the cost to produce it by this point, which is to say they easily could have dropped the price several times but since they knew they could milk it due to popular consumer demand they did. A 20% price drop on something which by this point should cost less then half of what it did when they launched it isn't a big drop, considering they were profiting from it, from the start.

side note - yes i do understand the supply/demand concepts on why nintendo retained the price at $250 for so long, however it doesn't make me happy that the solo reason behind it is corporate profit/greed (even if it is what makes the world go round). I do own a wii and other systems for that matter, so it simply irks me to see nintendo playing the greed card for so long before coming out with a underwhelming price drop.

Last edited by ZeroForever; 2009-09-25 at 15:47.
ZeroForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 16:00   Link #1009
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Oh noes, again a debate about the price of the wii. Seriously, can you just stop? There are people who think the wii is good. They enjoy the games and all, and so they don't care to have paid 250e since they are happy with it. Most people don't understand anything about the "specs" and all, and so we don't care, live with it.

Now, please, stop, if you think the price of the wii is too high for you, then don't buy it, that's all

Now on topic, the new Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers trailer from the Tokyo Game show

http://www.crystalbearers.jp/ in the multimedia section. And it's great! Best looking third party game. Now let's hope the gameplay and story will be good too.

And a preview from 1up from the TGS demo version:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176209

Quote:
When Final Fantasy's Wii debut title -- a Crystal Chronicles sequel called The Crystal Bearers -- fell off the map immediately after its brief announcement at E3 2006, everyone assumed the worst. Then, suddenly, it appeared again at this year's E3, wholly playable and looking shockingly good. Even more shocking was the fact that it looked nothing at all like a Crystal Chronicles game. Oh, sure, you have the series' indigenous races -- Selkies and Yukes and all that -- but rather than taking the form of a cooperative multiplayer RPG, Crystal Chronicles on Wii is a straight-up action 3D game with an emphasis on physics and motion control. Oh, and also, it's the single prettiest third-party Wii game ever, bar none.
The Crystal Bearers centers around the adventures of a young Clavat named Layle, a man with the ability to manipulate the world thanks to the power of a crystal embedded in his body. In game terms, this translates into the ability to grab, lift, carry, and throw anything that isn't bolted down with a psychic energy "cable." Layle can use his crystal-derived power -- via the Wii's remote control -- to grab onto objects. He can manipulate machinery, activate switches, collapse undead foes, and fling everything about with abandon. In many ways, Crystal Bearers seems like a second attempt at realizing the potential inherent in 2007's disastrous Dawn of Mana -- though producer Akitoshi Kawazu has stated flat-out that none of the Mana team is working on Crystal Bearers. This could account for why Crystal Bearers is actually pretty fun.

Click the image above to check out all Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers screens.

While the E3 demo earlier this year focused on showing Layle in a variety of different situations -- flying airships and exploring towns -- the TGS demo is more focused. Of the two sequences available for play, I selected a run through a series of ruins, a sort of tutorial in which Layle chases down a flirtatious Selkie female named Belle while getting a handle on the motion controls. Although Kawazu has described Crystal Bearers as an "open world" game similar to Grand Theft Auto, I suspect "open world" is a bit of an exaggeration. Certainly this sequence was strictly linear -- although that could simply be due to its being set in early in the game.

Layle runs through the motions in the demo, using his powers both offensively, defensively, and as a navigation tool to scramble across platforms and open doors. The demo included a few interesting sequences, such as a "death wall" that advanced on the hero in a narrow channel, with two gargoyles flanking the wall's center attacking with fireballs and scythes as it inched its way forward. Although the wall could simply be evaded, Layle can also rip open a vulnerable point and then manipulate the gargoyles into accidentally stabbing it with their scythes.

Click the image above to check out all Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers screens.

After working his way through the ruins, Layle encounters what appears to be his rival, a Yuke crystal bearer named Amitadelion, who drains the power from a crystal in the hero's possession and escapes. Layle makes his way through the collapsing ruins and finds Belle, then heads into the outer world. This was about as far as I made it into the demo before time expired, but the exterior areas I saw offered a hope of the open world Kawazu promised. In the first section, a skeleton was menacing a pack of wolves, all of whom could be evaded or destroyed. The arroyo setting was dotted with items to be thrown, from boulders to cow skulls to a pile of manure. (Sadly, my aim was off, so I wasn't able to determine what happens if you smack an enemy with crap.) There seems to be a real sense of flexibility for dealing with enemies: They can be flung into one another, tossed aside, or smashed with random debris. Grabbing the skeleton will cause its head to fly off, which in turn causes it to stumble around in confusion for a while. Fortunately, the emphasis on physics is fairly limited to lifting and throwing and other simple, predefined actions, so the usual fussiness in games with Havoc-style physics is nowhere to be seen.

Crystal Bearers offers its own curious blend of homebrew Achievements, too: Every time Layle does something new (using a new skill, or simply interacting with enemies in a different way than before) a little Achievement-style notice pops up to congratulate the player. It seems to be one of many little touches that suggest Crystal Bearers aspires to go toe-to-toe with more powerful systems. It's simply one of the best-looking Wii games ever, and it truly stands out both on its choice of platform and within its series. Crystal Bearers arrives at the very end of the year in the U.S., and its beauty and playability and general ambition just might catch gamers off guard.

You just read a story from Japan's biggest game convention, the Tokyo Game Show -- congrats! To see all our news, previews, videos, and screens from the show, check out TGS.1UP.com.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-25 at 16:11.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 16:13   Link #1010
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
you do realize the the parts in the wii aren't much higher spec then a original xbox/gamecube (which go for like less then 70),

the motion technology isn't that expensive either it's been around for a while they were just innovative with it

I do own a wii and other systems for that matter, so it simply irks me to see nintendo playing the greed card for so long before coming out with a underwhelming price drop.
I believe that the Wii is about 3x as strong as the previous generation though? Which is plenty strong. Just not the 10x or so of the other two systems.

That's right. Then again, lots of stuff were around before someone used it right. Right? What are you even trying to get at...

That is what they all say, by the way. <--I owe the system part
You know, the other systems took so long to cut their prices and you aren't complaining about them? They've "played" the greed card for so long too though? Unless you are throwing away reason and just complaining about the Wii because you consider it to be the inferior system.
And I hope you don't try to bring up that the PS3 cut their price by a lot more as an argument. Because the situation is far too different.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 18:00   Link #1011
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Sony takes a massive lost for every PS3 sold, they make up their difference with licensing fees and blue ray costs. It was the same strategy they used with the PS2. Even though they're not anywhere near the success of the PS2 so we'll see how much longer they'll last. In fact the Ps3 was such a failure that the president of the games division at the time was forced to retire due to the Ps3.
Old 2009-09-25, 18:22   Link #1012
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Sony takes a massive lost for every PS3 sold, they make up their difference with licensing fees and blue ray costs. It was the same strategy they used with the PS2. Even though they're not anywhere near the success of the PS2 so we'll see how much longer they'll last. In fact the Ps3 was such a failure that the president of the games division at the time was forced to retire due to the Ps3.
True, Especially with the timing of the Recession, the PS3's timing couldn't have been worse (And all those price cut rumors). But the price of the Wii at the time, was considered cheap. Nintendo did need a price cut though, because in comparison the Wii would look expensive. That's one of the major reasons why it sold so well. I do love my Wii but the lack of first party/ Good third party games and Shovelware is what keeps me from playing it that often.

On a different note: How is the Wii motion plus? I thought about picking one up but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ps: Zelda needs to come... Now...
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 18:27   Link #1013
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
True, Especially with the timing of the Recession, the PS3's timing couldn't have been worse (And all those price cut rumors). But the price of the Wii at the time, was considered cheap. Nintendo did need a price cut though, because in comparison the Wii would look expensive. That's one of the major reasons why it sold so well. I do love my Wii but the lack of first party/ Good third party games and Shovelware is what keeps me from playing it that often.

On a different note: How is the Wii motion plus? I thought about picking one up but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ps: Zelda needs to come... Now...
With success comes shovelware, just look at the Ps2, 95% of its games are pure garbage. Dozens of games would be released every year but only 1 or 2 are worth getting. The Library of good games didn't become impressive until several years later after its release.
Old 2009-09-25, 18:37   Link #1014
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
With success comes shovelware, just look at the Ps2, 95% of its games are pure garbage. Dozens of games would be released every year but only 1 or 2 are worth getting. The Library of good games didn't become impressive until several years later after its release.
This is true since I haven't gotten a new game for the Wii since last summer because there were no worthwhile games that I can play since all the good ones are out. Plus, that the PS3, although have a small library of games have a good number of good games and exclusives that I play and I use the Playstation 3 alot more often since the Wii have no DVD playback although it can read DVDs.

I don't see why Nintendo can't put DVD playback. The Playstation 2 also used DVDs and can also play them.
Old 2009-09-25, 18:46   Link #1015
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
This is true since I haven't gotten a new game for the Wii since last summer because there were no worthwhile games that I can play since all the good ones are out. Plus, that the PS3, although have a small library of games have a good number of good games and exclusives that I play and I use the Playstation 3 alot more often since the Wii have no DVD playback although it can read DVDs.

I don't see why Nintendo can't put DVD playback. The Playstation 2 also used DVDs and can also play them.
I don't know what kinda games you like but I already have over a dozen games on my Wii, not including WiiWares.

Edit

I suppose I'll make a list of the games I have:

Rune Factory Fronter: God I love this game XD
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
CoD: World at War ( Online is great )
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Mad World
No More Heroes
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Dead Space Extraction
Muramasa
Cursed Mountain
Conduit

ugh.. um.... I know I have more but I'm too lazy to look at my DVD shelf

Last edited by HayashiTakara; 2009-09-25 at 19:03.
Old 2009-09-25, 21:59   Link #1016
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
I don't have one myself, but it seems it has positive reviews.

Quote:
Well, the thing is that there is no point in giving their system DVD playback. It only costs more, and most people aren't buying game systems so they can use the DVD/Blue-Ray feature. This is why I don't understand why Sony can't just make a normal game system instead of stuffing in stuff like DVD or Blue-Ray playback.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 22:29   Link #1017
Shadow Kira01

The ones that seem to make me want to get a Wii would be The Crystal Bearers and Monster Hunter 3. Considering that the rest of the FFCC series ended up either on the DS or the Gamecube, I have doubts it will be ported as that the Crystal Chronicle series had been a trademark of Nintendo.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 02:22   Link #1018
Sides

Quote:

Licensing costs. People should know by now that the drive and disc is designed by panasonic/matsushita (members of the DVD forum and Blu-ray Disc Association). The disc is physically a DVD, however it is formatted differently. Since the data structure does not follow the DVD specification, they cannot be sold as such.
But to be honest i think the main reason is, nintedo is a toy maker and there is no benefit for them if they sold a DVD player. Besides i don't think the panasonic Q actually sold a lot, probably another reason.

Tales of Graces hp updated

Last edited by Sides; 2009-09-26 at 02:49.
Old 2009-09-26, 03:04   Link #1019
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

its too bad that Tales of Graces character designs arent done by the same artist thats done the recent Tales games. I love his art style.
Old 2009-09-26, 05:39   Link #1020
Sides

Quote:
its too bad that Tales of Graces character designs arent done by the same artist thats done the recent Tales games. I love his art style.
Well Mutsumi Inomata did the design for Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth, (Tempest?), Innocence, Hearts and now for Graces. Basically titles where members of the former team destiny is more involved in. Kosuke Fujishima, on the other hand, is normally associated with team symphonia, who also did the designs for abyss and vesperia.
It really depends how you look at it i guess, because Innocence was released in 2007, Vesperia in Aug/2008 and Hearts in Dec/2008.

Honds on ToG at Destructiod

Last edited by Sides; 2009-09-26 at 05:56.

Tags
console, wii