AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-11-04, 20:37   Link #1
K'9999
Banned

Gundam Models Discussion Thread

Personally, I have one (sold by a co-worker when a chance). If you see the guide book, you will see some painting recommendations. I know those will make the model better and more realistic, so I want to ask where I could buy those paints. Ang idea? (Not ebay, I live in North America.) And also, do you know when SEED D's models will come out?
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 21:32   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I have from Mobile Suit Gundam

Guncannon
Guntank
Gundam [ I've dubbed him Parapalygic Gundam since his legs broke off when my little sister visited me ]

GundamW

Tallgeese
Epyon
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 21:50   Link #3
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
I have from Mobile Suit Gundam

Guncannon
Guntank
Gundam [ I've dubbed him Parapalygic Gundam since his legs broke off when my little sister visited me ]

GundamW

Tallgeese
Epyon
Do you have any paint on your models?
Old 2004-11-04, 22:25   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I have Perfect Grade 1/60 scale models of the following:

Gundam RX-78-2
Char Custom MS-06S Zaku II
MS-06F Zaku II

I also have a Perfect Grade 1/60 scale MS09R Rick Dom under construction right now. Perfect Grade models are nice but they take forever to assemble (they average ~650 individual parts) and wire (the Rick Dom has 21 lights that need to be wired), to make building it even harder - all the instructions are only in Japanese and there are no translations available. While I have other Gundam models, they're mostly those super cheap 1/144 scale ones. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 23:42   Link #5
gunners2787
Lok-ke Hokage

Send a message via ICQ to gunners2787 Send a message via AIM to gunners2787 Send a message via MSN to gunners2787 Send a message via Yahoo to gunners2787
I have 6 1/144 none HG model...

GAT-X252 Forbidden Gundam
GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam
GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam
GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam
GAT-X103 Buster Gundam
ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam

I'm going to collect more.. since i'm now short of cash and sources...
all of them are not painted.... they came with factory paint... therefore it's not detail painted.... I'm trying to paint them with standard oil paints which they sell in the toy shop i visited couple of days ago... but ppl say there is a tendency of "destroying" or make the model look bad by hand painting it... so... since this is my first time painting.. i'm going to sacrifice 1 model and see how it goes....
Some people say that NON-HG models are crap and rubbish! :fingers: is that true?
gunners2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 00:00   Link #6
SlugZilla
woofles

I have alot that I've been collecting back from 6 years ago. I don't collect anymore since it is piling up. I bought some recent kits from SEED but I don't have the space anymore so I've given up for quite some time.

I use regular spraycan paint to color it all at once before building, and paint individual small parts. Then I use fine tip sharpies which are great for the panel lines to add to the finish. I don't know anything about painting the models to make it realistic but I just keep it simple and it still looks great.

Here is a repost from the other thread.

=PG=
Zeta Gundam

=MG=
Nu Gundam
RX-79[G]
Zaku-II
Zeta Gundam
RX-78-2(20th anniversary metallic)
God Gundam
Gundam Spiegel
RX-78GP01 Zephyrantes
MS-07B Gouf

=HG=
Rick Dias
Gundam Mk. II
Hyaku Shiki
Sandrock custom
Heavy Arms custom

=Other=
1/60 Freedom
1/100 Astray(red frame)
1/100 Wing Zero
1/144 Gouf
1/144 Gouf Flight Type
1/144 EZ-8
Of course a ton of other 1/144 that are forgotten...

=Figures=
Elmeth
RX-78GP03S
Acguy
Gun Cannon
Gun Tank
RX-78-2
RX-78-2 Full Armor
Zaku-II Johhny Ridden Custom
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 00:12   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners2787
I'm going to collect more.. since i'm now short of cash and sources...
all of them are not painted.... they came with factory paint... therefore it's not detail painted.... I'm trying to paint them with standard oil paints which they sell in the toy shop i visited couple of days ago... but ppl say there is a tendency of "destroying" or make the model look bad by hand painting it... so... since this is my first time painting.. i'm going to sacrifice 1 model and see how it goes....
Hand painting is an art, it requires a steady hand and a lot of patience (I mean whole lot). I normally avoid oil paints as its harder to fix you're mistakes should you make any.

Generally, my paints of choice are Humbrol enamels or Tamiya acrylics depending on the model being made (both brands have large color selections, come with mixing guides and in various finishs). Normally I paint while I'm assembling the model, I find it easier and gives a better result for the finished product. I usually start by sanding the part to be painted (this is more useful on smooth sections than detailed areas), this evens out any bumps on the part's surface and if it's two joined parts that are being painted it allows one to smooth out the join seam (sometimes requires filler material since no piece is ever formed perfectly). After a part is painted I let it sit for +6 hours to ensure the paint is completely dry before I continue.

Before final assembly I like to apply any and all decals to the model, use a good Gundam pen or pinstrip brush to detail panel lines and indents where needed, and sometimes go over the model with an airbrush to dull the finish and give the model an aged look (I don't like my models looking like they just rolled out of the factory - blackening around thruster ports is a nice effect). One day I'd like to master the art of battle damage, but that's for the future.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 00:45   Link #8
gunners2787
Lok-ke Hokage

Send a message via ICQ to gunners2787 Send a message via AIM to gunners2787 Send a message via MSN to gunners2787 Send a message via Yahoo to gunners2787
http://img126.exs.cx/img126/6932/aegism.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/6333/blitzcalamitym.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/397/busterm.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/9163/calamitym.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/1301/forbiddenm.jpg
This is my Favourite Gundam.. the Forbidden...

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/5759/jm.jpg

All of them are not painted... but I think all of them look kinda good with only the factory paint....

Last edited by gunners2787; 2004-11-05 at 22:33. Reason: I used Geocities for hosting the images and it seems like it can reach its bandwidth easily.. so i've changed the image host!
Old 2004-11-05, 02:46   Link #9
infested_ysy

Those sucked. Are those the infamous non-grade 1/144 series?

I mean really. Those models you shown us really sucked. Reminds me of those china gundam model bootlegs under the name "BENDI".

You know what? At this rate, you should've get the Gundam Fix Figuration series, or the MSiAs, if you're cheap.
infested_ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 03:16   Link #10
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Some people say that NON-HG models are crap and rubbish! :fingers: is that true?
The only reason you should get a non-HG is if the model doesn't have a HG version.

I have HG 1/144 Zaku II, Gouf Custom, Dom Tropen, Gelgoog Marine, the O, Zeta, Zaku III, Bawoo, XekuEins, Duel Assualt Shroud, Blitz, Forbidden, Freedom, and MG 1/100 Kampfer, Hyaku Shiki, Quebley, and Zaku II F2. The only non-HGs are Rick Dom II (0080), Gelgoog Jagaear (0080), Doven Wolf (ZZ), Geara Doga (CCA), and Dinn (Seed). No PG yet because I want Zeon MS, not Gundams! >_<
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 04:26   Link #11
zealot
ZGMF-X13A

I have all the 1/144 HG models from Seed...

They generally look quite similar to the anime without paint, although some small details need paint to look nicer.

The level of painting differs from model to model. For example, the Freedom needs colouring on the wings, which came totally blue (actual blach and blue), while Justice looks just right.
zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 04:44   Link #12
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

I have too many, way before Gundam really blew up in the states.

Um, lets see...

- 0079 -
1/60 RX-78 Gundam
1/100 Zaku
1/100 Zaku II: Char Aznable colors
1/100 RX-79(G) Gundam
1/100 Ex8
1/100 Gouf Custom
Too many 1/144 to count

- 0080 -
1/100 Gundam Alex
1/100 Kampfer

- 0083 -
1/100 Gundam Physalis

- Z Gundam -
1/60 Zeta Gundam (modified with 1/100 Zaku to become Zeta Zaku!!!)
1/100 Hyaku Shiki
1/100 RX-178 Gundam (I want the titans version though)
1/144 Psycho Gundam
1/144 Psycho Gundam mark II

- ZZ -
1/100 ZZ Gundam

no F90, F91

- V Gundam -
1/100 Victory Gundam
1/100 V2 Gundam AB

- G Gundam -
All 1/100 and 1/144, even Devil Gundam (that took awhile to find)

- Gundam W, Endless Waltz -
1/60 Wing Gundam Zero Custom
All 1/100 and 1/144

no Gundam X

- Gundam Seed -
All 1/100 scale, my favorite is still Providence Gundam. YAY!

That doesn't include the plastic toys (both American and Japanese) that I have. But a majority of them are in storage right now in their original boxes. I spent way too much money on these things. But I enjoy it!

As for the coloring, I have the Gundam markers. They're freaking expensive.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 04:48   Link #13
gunners2787
Lok-ke Hokage

holy shit! I don't understand sometimes.... I'm just trying to minimize my cost for collecting Models and I got called "cheap" ... what the hell.....

If i'm not mistaken... the HG and non-HG models don't have much difference except for their knees and elbows that can be moved.. so what the hell with that...

If i'm wrong, can you guys please tell me what is the difference(s) between HG and non HG.. and if the difference(s) is massive, then please tell me... crap!
People called people cheap because people buy cheap things... to hell with that :fingers:
Old 2004-11-05, 05:05   Link #14
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Well non-HG models have alot less moving joints so for those people that want more action poses or more of a challange in building models a non-HG won't be enough. Also the details on the model is alot less in comparasion to an HG model.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 05:11   Link #15
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
1/60 Zeta Gundam (modified with 1/100 Zaku to become Zeta Zaku!!!)
Blasphemy! *faints*

Quote:
holy shit! I don't understand sometimes.... I'm just trying to minimize my cost for collecting Models and I got called "cheap" ... what the hell.....

People called people cheap because people buy cheap things... to hell with that
Because most of us don't think the few dollars you saved justify the sacrifice in quality.

Quote:
If i'm not mistaken... the HG and non-HG models don't have much difference except for their knees and elbows that can be moved.. so what the hell with that...

If i'm wrong, can you guys please tell me what is the difference(s) between HG and non HG.. and if the difference(s) is massive, then please tell me... crap!
Most of us like our models to have more details and be able to move their limbs and torso so we can actually pose them instead of having them just stand there, but hey, if you don't care about things like that and are happy with the ones you got, then good for you. I'd still recommend you get HGs, though, because you don't paint your models; HG ones are molded in more colors and look much better.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 06:54   Link #16
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Blasphemy! *faints*
It looks weird because the Zaku head is comparably smaller too. You cannot deny the power of the Zaku! I mean, even Seed Destiny is telling the Zaku to overcome and show it's power!

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 09:13   Link #17
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infested_ysy
Those sucked. Are those the infamous non-grade 1/144 series?

I mean really. Those models you shown us really sucked. Reminds me of those china gundam model bootlegs under the name "BENDI".

You know what? At this rate, you should've get the Gundam Fix Figuration series, or the MSiAs, if you're cheap.
BENDI, I remember that...ww

1/144 can look good if you got professional hand painting skills. But spend the extra bucks and get HG anyways.
Old 2004-11-05, 11:48   Link #18
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
BENDI, I remember that...ww

1/144 can look good if you got professional hand painting skills. But spend the extra bucks and get HG anyways.
So where I can buy those paints for Gundam models in North American (online store). I think HG are much better and easier to paint with. I don't like non-HG because it doesn't look good, espically the head.
Old 2004-11-05, 12:11   Link #19
gunners2787
Lok-ke Hokage

about those paints i think i got some information about it!
I've asked people about them and i got some answers... Actually there is 3 ways you could handle them 1, Handpaint with oil paints 2,Airbrush with compressors 3,Gundam Markers...

People would strongly recommend Airbrush as it would leave a nice, smooth and shining surface after paint but you need to buy the compressors and stuff which will cost you around 500 bucks... well that is what i heard.. but you could always lend those from a Shop which they sell the Models....

Handpaint with Oil Paints of Acrylic..This method is way cheaper than the first one but... but you need a lot of patients and steady hands because if anything goes wrong, you and your Model will look bad.... but if everything goes right and you are skilled at this... your model will look good! Worth to take the risk?

Gundam Markers... if you are rich and you could do anything for your GUNDAM MODELS, i suggest you to buy some of this markers and start detail colouring your models.... They come in a pack of 6 colours.. i forgotten about the colours.. and it cost around 15 bucks or so.... but it won't give you a very nice effect..
Old 2004-11-05, 13:17   Link #20
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'9999
So where I can buy those paints for Gundam models in North American (online store). I think HG are much better and easier to paint with. I don't like non-HG because it doesn't look good, espically the head.
Well the rule is the more pieces it's much easier to paint.

Most paint brand for model kits is suitable for gundam kits, you don't really need official gundam paints. www.gundamshop.com sells Tamiya and Testors which seem to be the best paints, but I don't know any places online.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy