AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 06:07   Link #1
jcdranzer
Sky King!!!! XD

Druaga no Tou: Aegis of Uruk

Title: Druaga no Tou
Japanese Title: ??? :unsure:
Genre: Romance, Adventure, Action, Fantasy
Premier: Autumn or Winter 2008..............long time.
Animation Studio: GONZO
Director: ???? :blink:
Original creator: Namco

Summary:

“Players take control of Prince Gilgamesh on his quest to rescue his love, Ki, from the vicious Druaga.” - (taken from IGN)

More about the game on WIKI

Thoughts:

Very interesting, Druaga no Tou, or the tower of Druaga is actually an old game-classic. GONZO has decided to turn this into an anime, and I really wonder what they’re going to do with this concept, simply because of the lack of story in the original game. Really, how can you turn a game in which you have to travel through mazes in a strange tower to save your girlfriend into a fully fledged anime? Something tells me GONZO’s going to pull another Romeo x Juliet on this one.
jcdranzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 04:52   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I wonder if they plan to use the older traditional artwork like the game, or is Gonzo gonna plan to update it too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 11:55   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
NO! NOOOOOO! AHHHH! Not the Nightmare, oh god not Druaga, so many bad memories coming back and I don't just mean from Tales of Destiny.

How do you make an anime of this, will it be Gilgamesh being mercilessly slaughtered every few minutes like in the actual games?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 21:05   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
NO! NOOOOOO! AHHHH! Not the Nightmare, oh god not Druaga, so many bad memories coming back and I don't just mean from Tales of Destiny.

How do you make an anime of this, will it be Gilgamesh being mercilessly slaughtered every few minutes like in the actual games?

And the true horror is that it's Gonzo who will be heeding this project heedlessly. You know, I believe I'll be looking forward to this show.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:07   Link #5
Monkey D. Luffy

There dosen't seem to be much info about the show yet but however I look forward to seeing how they develo this show.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 02:37   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm wondering if this show is going to be using the same cast as the one featured in Namco X Capcom. Akira Ishida was Gil and Rie "Teh Necka" Tanaka( was Ki, so that would mean giving them work together outside the Gundam franchise and if people want to really stretch things, an Athrun x Lacus theme.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 03:18   Link #7
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdranzer View Post
Really, how can you turn a game in which you have to travel through mazes in a strange tower to save your girlfriend into a fully fledged anime?
Druaga? That old console roguelike?

Well, if it could be done for the Wizardry OVA (OK, so exactly why we are trying to kill this Werdna guy who lives at the bottom of the dungeon?) ...
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 06:19   Link #8
Siegel Clyne

Druaga no Tou (Tower of Druaga) TV Anime and MMORPG Official Websites

The official websites for the Druaga no Tou (Tower of Druaga) television animated series and massively multiplayer online role playing game are now up.

Druaga no Tou -the Aegis of URUK-

Druaga no Tou -the Recovery of BABYLIM-
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 07:09   Link #9
KBTKaiser

Didn't they sorta update the designs via Namco x Capcom, which then carried over into the actual PS2 game?
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 12:33   Link #10
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

My guess is it's all new. Which means there will be no oh so 80's music.

On the other hand:

シリーズ構成・脚本:賀東 招二

O.....rz
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 16:34   Link #11
leofish
Mia 'cova

promo trailer up now on the site:
http://druaga-anime.com/gallery.html

not really much to say.. doesnt show anything good or bad yet, I havent played the game so idk the general story, but if it's anything like the actual gilgamesh tales, I think it could be interesting at least, especially if gonzo throws in little historical querks

also, looks like it got moved forward to spring 2008
leofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 16:01   Link #12
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=8746

from the crew it seems this anime is gonna be one of the best,
it has last exile's director
bakuretsu tenshi's charter designer and generally the crew of some of GONZO's best works.

really looking forward for it.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 18:20   Link #13
NakedAngelX

The Aegis Of URUK

Official site: http://www.druaga-anime.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhQBslKOZws

The special thing about this animation is that it is actually a cross introduction to the upcoming MMORPG - Tower of Druaga: Recovery of Babylim. Gonzo plan on making this FC era's game into an anime.
The anime's story happens decades after the game's ending. God and heroes do not exists anymore, world's in Chaos. More people put up their swords and are prepared for another great adventure. Now i wonder if that mmorpg'll ever come to North America XD
Old 2007-10-16, 14:52   Link #14
DangerMouse

Yeah, I took a look and I'm very impressed by how much of their bigger staff this series is pulling together for the first time in a while, my hopes just went up a lot more than I was anticipating. Last Exile is one of my all time favorites and to see that director and several of their best designers on this is extremely reassuring and Ugetsu Hakua is one of my favorites (along with Range Murata) so that's another awesome staff member. Hitoshi Sakimoto will no doubt make some absolutely epic music as well so they've put together quite the selection of talent.

I was hooked by the promo image since I had a feeling it reminded me of Ugetsu Hakua's work with those sharp designs right off the bat even with their back's turned. That's some neat looking armor too on the two closest characters.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-10-16 at 15:44.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 12:40   Link #15
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

I am a big Tower of Druaga fan so this is definitely on my list for Spring. I just hope they don't try and tie in the MMO with the anime directly because that would be really messy and stupid.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 00:45   Link #16
DangerMouse

I don't know much about the game, however with the staff they've assembled I really hope they are only using the game as background/inspiration for the world, because they've got some serious talent lined up for something really thought out and created, like their best works such as Last Exile and Vandread.
Old 2008-01-05, 01:08   Link #17
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Hrm, I don't remember them putting a description of the story up when they first put up the site but it's there now.

Basically, the anime takes place in the same timeline as the Druaga games but 80 years after the final events of the series (I assume that would be The Nightmare of Druaga). For a season once every 5 years, all of the monsters within the Tower of Druaga lose much of their power because of the Blessings of Anu(The King of the gods living in Heaven or the Celestial World). This is known as "The Summer of Anu."

When the Kingdom of Uruk, founded by King Gilgamesh (I assume that would be our plucky hero from the games, Gil, which was short for Gilgamesh), confirms the reappearance of this tower, they send raiding parties in to exterminate the monsters. So for the times when the Summer of Anu makes its appearance, a base was setup so they could reach the upper floors. Three Summers of Anu have passed and a base on the very first floor of the tower called Meskia has been established. The town as prospered because of two forces, one is the Uruk Army, seeking to revie the tower and defeat the demon Druaga. The other force is adventurers, seeking the legendary treasure known as the "Blue Crystal Rod" (a pivotal item in the games).

I'm quite psyched for this myself but this IS Gonzo so I might have to keep that excitement in check.
Old 2008-01-10, 05:32   Link #18
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Hrm, I don't remember them putting a description of the story up when they first put up the site but it's there now.

Basically, the anime takes place in the same timeline as the Druaga games but 80 years after the final events of the series (I assume that would be The Nightmare of Druaga). For a season once every 5 years, all of the monsters within the Tower of Druaga lose much of their power because of the Blessings of Anu(The King of the gods living in Heaven or the Celestial World). This is known as "The Summer of Anu."

When the Kingdom of Uruk, founded by King Gilgamesh (I assume that would be our plucky hero from the games, Gil, which was short for Gilgamesh), confirms the reappearance of this tower, they send raiding parties in to exterminate the monsters. So for the times when the Summer of Anu makes its appearance, a base was setup so they could reach the upper floors. Three Summers of Anu have passed and a base on the very first floor of the tower called Meskia has been established. The town as prospered because of two forces, one is the Uruk Army, seeking to revie the tower and defeat the demon Druaga. The other force is adventurers, seeking the legendary treasure known as the "Blue Crystal Rod" (a pivotal item in the games).

I'm quite psyched for this myself but this IS Gonzo so I might have to keep that excitement in check.
that fact that its GONZO alone shouldn't bother you..
remember that GONZO can make epic things like gankutsuou and last exile.
what matters is the actual staff and for this anime it seems the staff if worthy of excitement.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 14:36   Link #19
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

All righty, the full staff has been announced and the cast of characters has been revealed.

Staff:

Original Work: Bandai-Namco Games (Tower of Druaga)
Director: Chigira Kouichi
Supervisor: Endou Masanobu
Series Composition and Script: Gatou Shouji
Original character desgns: Ugetsu Hakua
Main Character Design: Takaoka Junichi
Character Design: Yamagata Atsushi
Monster Design: Tanzawa Manabu
General Animation Director: Fujisawa Toshiyuki
Production Design: Kobayashi Makoto
Color Design: Uchibayashi Yumi
Sound Director: Gouda Hozumi
Music: Sakimoto Hitoshi
Editing: Hida Fumi
Animation: Gonzo
Production: Izumi Project.

Romanizations aren't final (as in, I'm not sure if they'll be the exact ones I'll use) but here are the descriptions. I'm also a bit tired so my translations of the descriptions might be a little funky right now.

Jir
VA: KENN
Age 16
Male
Job: Guardian
The series hero. Although he looks rather able-bodied as a fighter, he has very little actual experience and is prone to screwing up.

Kahya
VA: Orikasa Fumiko
Age 17
Female
Job: Oracle
The series heroine. A descendant of Ki. She's a mysteriously airheaded and silly girl.
She often drones about random things to the party.

Ermey
VA: Hayamizu Risa
Age 19
Female
Job: Lancer
She travels with Jir. Out of the party, she has the most experience.

Mert
VA: Gouda Hozumi
Age 20
Male
Job: Mage
The mage of Jir's party. Born in the Kingdom of Uruk, he's a poor aristocrat. He has a selfish, loud, and willful attitude. He's a transparent young man.

Kupa
VA: Chihara Minori
Age 10
Female
Job: Servant
Mert's attendant. She alwas has to deal with her master's selfishness. She has a nagging personality. Despite her looks, she's quite strong. She has a knack for cooking.

Niva
VA: Sakurai Takahiro
Age 17
Male
Job: Archer
Despite his age, he's rather famous. He was given the nickname "Niva the Dragon Slayer." He is currently the leader of Fatina's experienced party.

Fatina
VA: Horie Yui
Age 16
Female
Job: Mage
The lone woman in her party. She has a rather domineering attitude. She has faint feelings for Niva.

Cahli
VA: Ishida Akira
Age 16
Male
Job: Scout
A friend of Niva, he's a small and agile fighter. He's rather worldly and is familiar with the going ons behind the City of Meskier.

Uto
VA: Yasumoto Hiroki
Age Unkown
Male
Job: Attacker, Axe (probably means Berserker)
A friend of Niva. He's a large man and uses a large axe.

Last edited by Shouta; 2008-02-11 at 09:41.
Old 2008-02-10, 22:42   Link #20
DangerMouse

Thanks alot for the sweet large clean pictures.

As expected of Ugetsu Hakua, I already totally love these drawings for the character (and armor/clothing) designs! I'm looking forwards to seeing the anime adaptations of them and this show in action.

I'm trying to control my enthusiasm as Last Exile had the whole steampunk-scifi airship and world-spanning epic scope thing to add to the atmosphere while I know virtually nothing about Druaga's world (or Druaga in general) other than that it will center around this tower, however, the last time I was this excited for a show based solely on character design art was probably Last Exile itself, thanks to one of my other favorites Range Murata, and that show turned out fantastic, so I really hope this becomes something special as well, as it shares a similar pedigree of great staff including Last Exile's director and also features another fantastic artist and ofcourse it happens to have a great composer for epic music in Sakamoto as we already mentioned earlier. I do hope they realize the potential they've gotten together for this and it gets preferential treatment for budget and other considerations like Last Exile obviously did.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-02-10 at 23:46.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, gonzo, rpg