AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-11, 23:53   Link #1
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A trojan virus at 4chan?

I recently went to 4chan and when i went to the first board, i see a message from the mod's telling me a user accidentally uploaded a trojan virus at 4chan. They tell us that if anyone downloaded anything from 4chan, Immediately scan your PC or uses a virus scan from symatec. Since they never define on what the term downloaded anything means, i assume it also includes the website itself so i got rid of 4chan cookies & started do a virus scan. So far no threats were detected. But do i need to know anything else since the only thing i did at 4chan was went to their website, saw their warning & left the site.
Old 2009-05-12, 00:12   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Shocked~! Shocked I am that 4chan might be a source for malware..... um, yeah

One should scan any file downloaded - and one should run regular scans even if all you visit is Large Corporate Site .com.

My eyebrow raises at "accidental" ..... but you are probably okay with your cookie clean and virus scan. You might set your system to do a boot-time virus scan (most AVG products can be set to do a scan before the operating system is loaded at boot time).
Old 2009-05-12, 04:03   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shocked~! Shocked I am that 4chan might be a source for malware..... um, yeah

One should scan any file downloaded - and one should run regular scans even if all you visit is Large Corporate Site .com.

My eyebrow raises at "accidental" ..... but you are probably okay with your cookie clean and virus scan. You might set your system to do a boot-time virus scan (most AVG products can be set to do a scan before the operating system is loaded at boot time).
I use Avira, how do i do bootscan using that?
Old 2009-05-12, 05:30   Link #4
problemedchild
ô_ô

UPDATE: Apparently the DDoS attack is being caused by a trojan some 4chan users have downloaded. If you've downloaded ANY FILES linked on 4chan, please immediately go to this link and download the removal tool: Trojan.Vundo Removal Tool @ Symantec. Otherwise, all users are encouraged to run a full system scan to ensure their system is clean. The sooner people do this, the sooner /b/ & /r9k/ will return.

By moot

I don't think you can actually get the trojan from just going to 4chan itself. The infected users most likely followed random links posted on 4chan by other people.

Last edited by problemedchild; 2009-05-12 at 06:01.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 06:30   Link #5
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that's good to know. Now i wonder how long will the site be back to normal?
Old 2009-05-12, 06:53   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
it will take quite some time I think some boards have been gone for quite a while
and like said problemedchild those infected are people who most likely downloaded something from links posted on 4chan, I miss my /b/ =<
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 07:08   Link #7
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
it will take quite some time I think some boards have been gone for quite a while
and like said problemedchild those infected are people who most likely downloaded something from links posted on 4chan, I miss my /b/ =<
How do you guys even keep up with all the crap that flies around on /b/ anymore? When I first found 4chan back in 04 it didn't generate 20 threads every time I pressed F5.... Of course, the lack of traffic also nearly killed off some sections. I remember /a/ getting maybe 2 pages of content at most in 24 hours. One of that reasons why I dropped it, now I can't be bothered to go back there since it's way too active.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 08:50   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I had never even heard of Avira.... I use Avast (which has a boot scan function). Apparently Avira is slightly "better" at heuristics but Avast has the bootscan tool and a less intrusive update system. So, as usual, YMMV. They both rate well in comparisons of AVG.

Here's a site for information on periodic comparisions of AVG: http://www.av-comparatives.org/
They focus on detection (rather than, say, UI quality or update proactivity). Was dissappointed to see F-secure so far down the list, they were the elite in the 1990s. No surprises to see which packages sucked though.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:21   Link #9
holyalexander
holy alexander

oh well 4chan is the one site you cant trust so its not new to me..
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 10:38   Link #10
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It is pretty interesting why would someone pilot a DDoS attack on 4chan. Must have been jealous people.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 11:38   Link #11
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
A trojan virus at 4chan?
"And nothing of value was lost."
Another case of "lol internet".

Quote:
I don't think you can actually get the trojan from just going to 4chan itself. The infected users most likely followed random links posted on 4chan by other people.
Probably those fake video sites that have been spammed on every board for the past month have something to do with it.
One of the more lolworthy ones I remember was the one that rewrote the hosts file. Usage to the site went down a lot.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 14:10   Link #12
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

So if a trojan virus really is the root of the problem over at 4chan...

...and if the only way for /b/ to come back is for everyone to get rid of the trojan if it happens to be on their computer...

...then why is anyone bothering to disinfect their HDDs?

/b/ going away forever sounds like a winning situation to me. Nothing of value would be lost, after all.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 10:51   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
my /b/ is back =D
my live in complete once again!

edit:

if /b/ would go away forever then we'll all in b4 /xb/
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags