AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 23:34   Link #1
Nafi

Romance anime/manga with no comedy

I need a romance anime or manga that contains little to no comedy in it. I never really looked into an anime with this aspect, but I would like to get into it.

It has to be serious or dramatic most of the time with romance. The romance should be resolved and character development should be decently paced (normal, but not too slow).

Some examples of manga would be: Unbalance X Unbalance and Onani Master Kurosawa

For anime, the best I can think of is Cross Game even though it wasn't too serious, but it contained the right amount of drama in my opinion with minimal comedy.

This is just a preference, but I prefer it to be shounen, some sort of school connection (it's not a need, but I like it), not between older people (adults, also not really needed), and hoping it's in the male perspective. Like the male is the main protagonist.
Old 2012-12-13, 23:50   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I can think of two that should fit very well Bungaku Shoujo and Yosuga no Sora both are very romance drama focused with generally minimal comedy.

And two series with minor amount of comedy, but mostly romance and drama focused True Tears and Mashiroiro Symphony.

Edit: all 4 are from a male perspective with some school connection too!
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 23:52   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't know if you've seen this but Macross Frontier I'm sure has what you're looking for.
Old 2012-12-14, 00:40   Link #4
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Saikano: The Last Love Song On This Little Planet

Romance between two high-schoolers told almost entirely from the male's perspective.

It is absolutely not a romantic comedy.

It's easy to initially assume the show is about X, Y, and Z. But, the things that initially lead you to think that are just set-pieces for what is ultimately a very poignant, character-driven romance (and while I personally prefer older characters, this is one of the very best high-school aged romances I've seen in anime).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 02:59   Link #5
Divini
Senpai!

Try ef - a tale of memories. Its one of those series I remember for its really great romance, yet I can't recall one comedic moment. I know there was a minimal amount of comedy, but it's 98% romance/drama/angst.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 09:25   Link #6
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Nazo no Kanojo X and Bokura Ga Ita. If you're going with romance, you won't go wrong with these two.

I don't get the "no comedy" part though since Cross Game was pretty darn snarky at times (I quite liked its subtle sense of humor).
Old 2012-12-14, 16:34   Link #7
Nafi

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I pretty much watched most of them.
Any manga? Preferably 20+ chapters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Nazo no Kanojo X and Bokura Ga Ita. If you're going with romance, you won't go wrong with these two.

I don't get the "no comedy" part though since Cross Game was pretty darn snarky at times (I quite liked its subtle sense of humor).
Well cross game had the small amount of comedy, and it's not the type that makes a serious moment comical.
Old 2012-12-14, 17:24   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Sukitte Ii Na Yo comes to mind. It's a decent romance, but it's a bit TOO serious at times. In fact sometimes it's downright melancholy, considering that the main character (Mei) has borderline zero self-confidence.

I'm gonna warn you though that finding a romance with no comedy is going to be like finding a grain of salt on a beach. The VAST majority of romances are also comedies.... just look at 'em all! Endless fields of 'em....
Old 2012-12-15, 00:01   Link #9
Nafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Sukitte Ii Na Yo comes to mind. It's a decent romance, but it's a bit TOO serious at times. In fact sometimes it's downright melancholy, considering that the main character (Mei) has borderline zero self-confidence.

I'm gonna warn you though that finding a romance with no comedy is going to be like finding a grain of salt on a beach. The VAST majority of romances are also comedies.... just look at 'em all! Endless fields of 'em....
I'm going to wait until the anime season ends.

Also, I kind of figured since I have been searching to make a list for a week. That's why I included minimal comedy, as long as the comedy doesn't ruin the serious moments.