AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-05-20, 15:56   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

To Aru Majutsu no Index - Light Novel - Old Testament (all Volumes)

This is a thread to discuss the To Aru Majutsu no Index Light Novel "Old Testament" volumes.

Please stay on-topic and discuss what happens in this volume.
  • No shipping talk
  • No pointless chatter
  • No posting raws or novel illustrations
  • No posting translations of the novels themselves
  • No asking about when translations will be done
  • No posts only to update people about translation status (or to just say that something's "out")
  • No posts only to thank translators (please us PM or VM instead)

If you want to discuss a related topic, please feel free to request another thread be created about that topic.
Old 2013-05-20, 16:04   Link #2
Algent

This title sound almost religious .

Something I wanted to say about this part is I think it would be good for new readers if we try to use massively the spoiler tag to separate talks between volumes. It could be bothersome though but could avoid new guys coming from Railgun (Assuming they find us) to get spoiled too much.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 21:29   Link #3
Ilidsor
Angelerator

(apologies if this doesn't go here, not sure where I should post this with the new system and all. I just figured this would go here because the old testament is where we learned of Aliester and Heaven Canceller's connection.)

I'm sure somebody else has pointed this out before but because I haven't seen it before I thought I'd post it here.

/Disclaimers

So I just learned that Heaven Canceller is (likely) based off a real person, who was Aliester's doctor. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Crowley died at Netherwood on 1 December 1947 at the age of 72. According to one biographer, the cause of death was a respiratory infection.[133] He had become addicted to heroin after being prescribed morphine for his asthma and bronchitis many years earlier.[134] He and his last doctor died within 24 hours of each other; newspapers would claim, in differing accounts, that Dr. Thomson had refused to continue his opiate prescription and that Crowley had put a curse on him.[135]
Considering Aliester faked his death and fled away with the help of Heaven Canceller I think this is just way too big of a coincidence to ignore.
Old 2013-05-23, 21:44   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Holy shit, that's some serious bromance

I wonder if it's the same curse as Kuroneko's...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 01:07   Link #5
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Let take recap of Kamijou-san misadventures with Middle school age girls i think the most dangerous to date is this ......

kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:05   Link #6
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
Let take recap of Kamijou-san misadventures with Middle school age girls i think the most dangerous to date is this ......

where in the world did you get this source? i must read it.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:06   Link #7
Haigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
where in the world did you get this source? i must read it.
Toaru majutsu no Index SP
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:10   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

One of my wish is that when they do Index III, they'll somehow spin this story with Birdway and the Golden Dawn into an introduction story.... Similar to what they did with at one mini-arc for the start of Index II.
Old 2013-05-25, 20:37   Link #9
Goldzero

i hope index III gets a major improvement as well. index season 1 was fairly good but index season 2 was pretty rushed and well quite average if not worse.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:43   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Was production rush? Yes. Was it average or worse? Absolutely not.

Even with a rushed production you could tell that they had more budget to work with and that the art and design has improved from the original- In general.

Are there QUALITY scenes, yes- but so does any other series of this genre.... Unless you're rich as fuck like Sunrise.
Old 2013-05-25, 21:59   Link #11
Acer
Death to the infidels!

if it is to improve something, I believe it has to prioritize the direction, the arcs were so were summarized, and so much thing was skipped, that for those who have not read the book so much was confused and meaningless.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:16   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
if it is to improve something, I believe it has to prioritize the direction, the arcs were so were summarized, and so much thing was skipped, that for those who have not read the book so much was confused and meaningless.

That's just trading one problem for another.

You absolutely cannot not include every bit of detail from a novel into the Anime. No Anime can do that, not even the beloved Fate/Zero could do that (And it only had four books to work with). Then the question would be how much detail and which? That comes down to personal preference between what you think is necessary that someone else might not see it as such.

In the first season people got bored after the first four episodes because of the prolong exposition scenes. While some of you think it's worth it, others might not see it that way and so it's just trading one problem for another and evening things out making it not worse or better, but just a different problem.
Old 2013-05-25, 22:28   Link #13
Acer
Death to the infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That's just trading one problem for another.

You absolutely cannot not include every bit of detail from a novel into the Anime. No Anime can do that, not even the beloved Fate/Zero could do that (And it only had four books to work with). Then the question would be how much detail and which? That comes down to personal preference between what you think is necessary that someone else might not see it as such.

In the first season people got bored after the first four episodes because of the prolong exposition scenes. While some of you think it's worth it, others might not see it that way and so it's just trading one problem for another and evening things out making it not worse or better, but just a different problem.

need not be perfect, just explain things with dignity, the magic of amakusas was never explained in the anime, nor why spellbooks can not be destroyed.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:38   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
not need be perfect, just esplicar things with dignity, the magic of amakusas was never explained in the anime, nor why grimorios can not be destroyed.
The simplest reason was because it's not an immediate vital piece of information.

What I mean by that is that your story can still go on without it, those are just tidbits.

And lets not treat Anime watchers as complete idiots; most of them have the capacity to fill in the blanks themselves. Yes there are idiots who doesn't work their brains, but that's the case for all Animes regardless of how well or poorly the details are explained.
Old 2013-05-26, 15:16   Link #15
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Another reason that the anime had to do things pretty quickly is that there just aren't that many good stopping points in Index. They had to rush in a lot of things in season 2 because volume 13/SS1 was the only real stopping point that would have had a big impact.

I am hoping they take their time and do season 3 and 4 slowly though, hopefully 14-19 season 3 and WWIII in season 4. The civil war makes a good stopping point as does the end of WWIII.
Old 2013-05-26, 22:34   Link #16
Birdway
Banned

Eh.... the civil war ends at volume 18 not 19.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 06:23   Link #17
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Eh.... the civil war ends at volume 18 not 19.
Yeah but since 19 happens at the same time as it, it will probably be done simultaneously.
Old 2013-05-27, 14:44   Link #18
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
The simplest reason was because it's not an immediate vital piece of information.

What I mean by that is that your story can still go on without it, those are just tidbits.

And lets not treat Anime watchers as complete idiots; most of them have the capacity to fill in the blanks themselves. Yes there are idiots who doesn't work their brains, but that's the case for all Animes regardless of how well or poorly the details are explained.
I saw an anime watcher that somehow figured out from Index I, II about how esper powers are just an application of Heisenburg's uncertainty principle and the use of personal reality which is an inwardly created reality utilizing the conviction, world-view, and projected understanding of espers onto the real world. He commented that Imagine Breaker is a tool that destroys attempted changes to the "real" world that are affected/caused by the differing twisted/unnatural views of espers that change the basic properties of the real world. He figured out that IB could only negate powers and not their effects because the effects of the powers aren't projections of espers/magicians onto the real world by the thoughts and perspectives of the espers. He also figured out something similar for how magicians use magic and revealed things about IB which are true in the LNs... He also said a lot more in detail about his observations of the Index universe from the anime.

I was like... how the heck did you figure all that out without reading any of the light novels? I had already read through NT 6... Some people just really get what is going on to an amazing extent even through just watching the anime. It's ridiculous, but true. Since he wasn't 100% right, I was surprised because he really figured it out. Since he thought IB was image breaker, he thought that esper powers were images projected onto the real world, which I guess is close enough. He obviously didn't read LNs if he thought IB was Image Breaker... it was really impressive.

It's true that there are also people who don't get it as well.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 16:54   Link #19
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yup, lets all remember that we ourselves were once non-LN readers, that didn't stop us from enjoying the first season.

After that when the LN got translated and became popular, we were more familiar with the great details within the story and then it became a problem when those details weren't always depicted clearly.
Old 2013-05-27, 17:11   Link #20
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Yup, lets all remember that we ourselves were once non-LN readers, that didn't stop us from enjoying the first season.

After that when the LN got translated and became popular, we were more familiar with the great details within the story and then it became a problem when those details weren't always depicted clearly.
Exactly. I am trying to get my friends to read the LNs so that they see the amazing plot. They have watched Index I, II Railgun I and are watching Railgun S. They like everything a lot... but don't want to have to read LNs... it makes me cry inside

So... a lot of opinions my friends have about Index, while seemingly correct... are all wrong... it makes me annoyed. The Light Novels really are super well done. Either way though, those friends of mine are what got me into Index in the first place... lolz

My favorite series was FMP! I had been impatient for FMP! manga and read the last two light novels of the series to get the ending. That was the first LN I had ever read. I was totally enthralled with FMP! at the time (Sousuke's still my favorite anime character though...)

Then my friend made me watch Index season 1 episode 1 when I was visiting his house. I watched it very reluctantly saying nothing is better than FMP!.

It suffices to say I finished seasons 1 and 2 within 3-4 days

Then I finished Railgun 1 within a week. (this was this past year actually near November). Then since Index 2 ended strangely without a main villain like my friend had thought there would be there... I looked online, saw there were LN's and then read all of them through NT5 by mid December. And then read NT 6 and NT 7 when they each came out on BT...

The story of how long I've read/ known about index is about the same amount of time as how much time has passed within the Index world during the novels lol.

Now, I still love seeing the other things and am enjoying Railgun s... but when I think of the anime... I am sad my friends are "uneducated" because they have not yet read the LNs. Therefore, I keep telling them about people like Gunha to get them to read . Gunha is one of my favorite characters. Even if he isn't one of your favorite characters... he'll win you over by using guts.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote