AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-31, 04:50   Link #1721
KillerYomaFromSpace

I read The Red Star, is not manga, but its world, quality and story are outstanding, should ease your pain while you wait for 82

http://www.archangel-studios.com/comics/redstar/

Old 2008-07-31, 04:58   Link #1722
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm actually very ok with "non-sharing". I guess what's important is that there is no need to feel negative about such a thing.
Old 2008-07-31, 05:03   Link #1723
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@KillerYomaFromSpace: it looks like pretty pictures. I'll probably look at it later. I am very very angry right now.

@yezhanquan: I have no idea how you can be okay with them giving you something that is not accurate, especially when it requires LESS work on their part to give you the raw so it can be done right. How can you be all right with not sharing in a free community especially when they give you stuff that is sub par? Do you know why most groups will not allow direct translations from chinese? Because their translations are often so off. I've seen it as a rule from several translation groups.

How can you possibly be okay with that? Or is it because you get access to it so they share with you? Is it like being a member of a little club that makes people feel special or something? I am completely serious. How can you see this as something you can just shrug off? If they are making money off of this it makes more sense but that is even worse. Even you mentioned you will wait for things to pop up on one manga so this hurts you as well.

If you are fine with it because you can't do anything about it that is one thing. But if you are fine with it because you approve of what they are doing then that is quite a bit different.

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-07-31 at 05:33.
Old 2008-07-31, 06:29   Link #1724
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Not accurate? I don't think so. The site that I frequent gets the translations right so far. Also, it's not really THAT fast (gets updated on the 4th of every month). Oh, and I don't dig in their forums. I'm not that kind of fanatic.
Old 2008-07-31, 06:33   Link #1725
Lich_king
Frostmourne hungers!

I just hope chapter 82 wont be a 35-pages-of-Riful-Rene-dialog...
Old 2008-07-31, 07:11   Link #1726
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I guess my standard of accuracy is different for Claymore because I usually read the raws and notice some nuances that are often missed. Plenty of translations get close. That is not that hard. If I don't care about a series that much I don't even bother reading the raws as it wouldn't really change much. I really do mean that most scan groups will not take Chinese scans for that reason though. It is serious enough that they have made it a rule. When you think about it, someone sitting on the raws means only a limited bunch can even do the translations and that would make mistakes much more prevalant just because of the lack of a feedback loop. From the faster translations we get a lot of things are usually impossible to decipher or mistaken (Dragon Kin anyone?). The translation mistakes may be things that do not matter to most people, but when it is your favorite series it makes a difference. Especially when you plan to talk to others about it and they have been viciously misinformed.

I obviously am not mad at you yezhanquan as naturally you are not one at fault. I am glad you keep us informed for anything we can get, even if it is scraps off the table from a group of self-proclaimed aristocratic manga hoarding tyrants. Though if you really do approve of these profane fans who mock others and taunt them I might have a bit of an angry glare headed your way. <-angry glare
Old 2008-07-31, 07:53   Link #1727
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lich_king View Post
I just hope chapter 82 wont be a 35-pages-of-Riful-Rene-dialog...
I hope it will be........cuz i wanna see some character developement for renee before she awakens.

Old 2008-07-31, 07:59   Link #1728
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@chiba: Hey, no sweat. In fact, I'm so bored that I decided to give the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors crossover a shot. Wish some of the girls from those games have a match or two with the Claymore ladies.

As for nuances, no fear. That's what the rest of the month is for: clearing up stuff. Haha.
Old 2008-07-31, 08:33   Link #1729
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Well the real fake spoilers have started showing up on Mangahelpers.com.
Spoiler for So fake I don't know why I'm bothering to tag it.:
Old 2008-07-31, 08:41   Link #1730
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
Well the real fake spoilers have started showing up on Mangahelpers.com.
Spoiler for So fake I don't know why I'm bothering to tag it.:
I know, i posted them there while mentioning their fake
Old 2008-07-31, 09:08   Link #1731
Cyclone
Transient Guest

I think there may be another spoiler out on tss now. Haven't deciphered all of it yet. Don't think it's the real one either though.
The mods are really not on their toes anymore here though, are they? It's high time for a chapter 82 thread!
Old 2008-07-31, 09:41   Link #1732
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

Enara is going on a quest! to find chapter 82. good bye my dear friends I will come back.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:08   Link #1733
Savannah
I poked my eyes...

Have fun and may the orcane not sway u from ur path or so.

When push comes to shove, that's when friction produces heat.

Sry for me bad English, ain't be me main tongue^^
Old 2008-07-31, 10:19   Link #1734
tenken627
what Yagi said

Alright, this spoiler is dedicated to Enara, since we don't want her to get lost.

From 2CH:

Spoiler for Chapter 82 spoiler from 2CH:
Old 2008-07-31, 11:18   Link #1735
Savannah
I poked my eyes...

Oh yeah, I LOVE google translations xD and this one is a good one at that Oo

When push comes to shove, that's when friction produces heat.

Sry for me bad English, ain't be me main tongue^^
Old 2008-07-31, 12:52   Link #1736
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Can you really compare something you have never seen to something you have? That is really stupid Flar .
Of course I can, you defined it very well in your first post

Quote:
I have reread your post a few times to figure out what you mean, and I really do not understand your point of view for the story. It seems like you are just throwing out vague counter examples that I am naturally misunderstanding. Instead of me arguing why I like Claymore, how does Claymore compare to other manga for you?
I'm just saying it is not that different from other shonens, and I just gave some reasons for my opinion to be different from yours on interactions/development. Not trying hard to convince you or anything, you are welcome to your own opinion.

To answer your last question, Claymore, for me, was tasteless and I almost dropped it before reaching the Pieta chapters, then I liked it because of the internal consistency and thus the potential to really extrapolate on what would happen without fear of the author pulling random things out of his bottom.

In this way, I felt the "other continent" toed the line of the random bs territory, because although it makes sense in the story and will likely play a role (though it is far from certain), the way it was introduced was bad, in a Sherlock Holmes and deus ex machina way, ie it was dropped on us with nary a hint, used full chapters of boring exposition, with one character standing here and talking, and was "proved" with a logic that only works if you start from the result you want to reach and build the reasoning backwards toward your first hint.

Same thing for the interactions, I feel they are weak, but are compensated by nice powerups and battle scenes, and a good story pacing, direction and consistency. Yes, for some reason I could not care less about Teresa, Galatea, or most of the characters, they really could die and I wouldn't care much as long as it was well done and the story was flowing. Fandom for claymore characters always puzzled me, cold lonely and (relatively) emotionless dolls that they are. Good thing there is Helen, Riful and Clarice to at least seem a bit human. Too bad there isn't more emphasis on the world (village 1 is village 2, yoma 1 is yoma 2, no real sense of travel, of a breathing world around, just claymores, AB, some building and cardboard shapes to fill the houses. Distinct lack of trade, information, and normal people)

Note this was just what I felt on some subjects you raved about, as a counterpoint. Can't let the praise get totally out of proportion.

In the end, for me, Claymore is one good entertaining manga, on the same overall level as a Berserk, Negima, Gunnm, with some epic moments, some weak ones, with a superior story though average art, but it's still not something I would buy or regret if I couldn't read it anymore. I don't know about this "compare" thing, though, there are not many titles I would read differently, and what I read is dependent on my mood. If I were comparing it to something I totally love, like, say, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, I would end up talking of apples and oranges, heh.
Old 2008-07-31, 13:47   Link #1737
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
The mods are really not on their toes anymore here though, are they? It's high time for a chapter 82 thread!
Let me try PMing one of the mods. Let's get one up.
Old 2008-07-31, 14:07   Link #1738
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
In this way, I felt the "other continent" toed the line of the random bs territory, because although it makes sense in the story and will likely play a role (though it is far from certain), the way it was introduced was bad, in a Sherlock Holmes and deus ex machina way, ie it was dropped on us with nary a hint, used full chapters of boring exposition, with one character standing here and talking, and was "proved" with a logic that only works if you start from the result you want to reach and build the reasoning backwards toward your first hint.
That little revelation was probably the most disappointing moment in the story for me, in fact it DID feel like random BS, even if it wasn't especially surprising. It was kinda like the author was telling me "This story really isn't as cool as you thought it was". So I pretty much completely agree with the part of your post that I quoted...
However, everything else you said, I mostly disagree with as it's all just a matter of taste. I also mentioned that I am disappointed with the character interactions in Claymore, but not so much because they are weak. They have alot of potential, they are just never given proper focus.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:08   Link #1739
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

No Flar, it still is stupid to compare something you have not read to something you have based off of my weak and derogatory post about it.

Heh. If I were ever as disappointed as Flar and Valduran sound with Claymore at any point, I don't think I would even be at animesuki any more. It is amazing to me you guys even post. I thought Miria's revelation was perfectly consistent with the story world, and I know it is not how things actually are going to be in the end. It is just a stepping stone to themes that we have seen developing from the very beginning of the story, namely awakening. Awakening is the primary conflict in the entire story.

I even liked how Miria's secret was revealed and how she got the information (namely her informant which is another secret, just like she mentioned 50+ chapters ago). It made sense why she had not told the ghosts yet when you look at the responsibility of the information as well... but whatever.

Though that did answer a lot of my confusion about posting styles from different users.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:22   Link #1740
Flar

Ah, you got it wrong, I'm not disappointed in Claymore, I'm just not enthused by it, or at least less than you seem to be. Like I said, it's still a good read, and a really good work to speculate on. You don't expect me to be knowledgeable about a manga I dislike, I hope.

This is something that came up before, but I still don't get why lack of blind love for the work is always equated with disappointment or hate.

Meh, it's like a cheeseburger, it's not elaborate cooking or a refined dish, but I can still say that and eat it and be filled.
Closed Thread