AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-31, 15:31   Link #1741
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Eating a cheeseburger is one thing. Spending hours upon hours talking about the history of cheeseburgers, where to get good ones, your experiences with cheeseburgers, joining a club consisting of cheeseburger lovers would be on a fairly different level. The expectations of someone in that situation would be that they enjoy cheeseburgers because I mean, they joined a club and started talking about them. If I felt they were something, "meh" I would just eat them and be on my way as I went for something I felt was "better". No reason to harass the cheeseburger lovers and fanatics, especially when they are all together talking about cheeseburgers.

You must see something fairly phenomenal about Claymore if you are here this often, or it really does not make sense.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:39   Link #1742
Flar

Eating a cheeseburger is better when you're not alone, the company is the best part of eating the thing.

Are you in the process of arguing that only people having love for the serie beyond a certain point may discuss, or am I missing the point altogether? In the former case, define the cut-off point precisely please.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:46   Link #1743
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

lol, I like your analogy Chiba.

But do I really sound like I dislike Claymore that much? Would I be making Claymore fan art and hanging around here if I did? Already pointed out on several occasions that it's still by far my favorite story currently in existance...

For several chapters, yes, I was pretty disappointed with where the story was going and the lack of interesting things happening with the characters, but it's possible things are about to pick up again and I may be pleasantly surprised after all.

I can't speak for Flar, and I don't really agree with his negative view on everything, but I for one wouldn't be posting here if I didn't care alot about the story... Why does a few posts complaining about it's flaws mean that I like it less? I've certainly spent my share of time praising it after all. ^^
Old 2008-07-31, 15:49   Link #1744
Flar

Hey, stop, negative view on everything? I could swear I had written that although some parts were weak in my eyes, they were counterbalanced by other things. Not liking everything is hardly disliking everything.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:52   Link #1745
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Flar: So you do it for the reactions then, not because of the content of the forum. Well, that makes sense then. I'm just trying to get a handle on your situation as it is so foreign to me.

Obviously you are free to post whatever you want wherever you want until the admins stop you. I just don't see the point of discussing something you do not love when the whole point of the forum is that people love claymore. You are a pretty adamant poster as well. But as "company is the best part" it appears the reaction you will get will be the most important thing. I notice you did not say, "company of people who also love cheeseburgers and who get excited about them, in one of the only places where I can express my true feelings and not be thought of as weird." It is all a matter of degrees. If I were to go to a cheeseburger club and say cheeseburgers were just okay, and I were to go there all the time and say it, people would be pretty baffled as to what I was doing there. Sure I may not hate them, but by comparison I would have so little in common with the others of the club it would comparatively seem that way.

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-07-31 at 16:10.
Old 2008-07-31, 15:55   Link #1746
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
Hey, stop, negative view on everything? I could swear I had written that although some parts were weak in my eyes, they were counterbalanced by other things. Not liking everything is hardly disliking everything.
You did mention something to that effect, I was just referring more to the fact that many of your posts often approach the topic from a somewhat negative perspective. But I don't really have a problem with it since you aren't especially rude. ^^
Old 2008-07-31, 16:11   Link #1747
Flar

You know, I think I will let this go and think about what Chiba said. It's starting to get irritating, this implied assumption that I'm not fan enough to post anything on this forum, that I should shut up and that there is no point in me posting, because my opinion is made worthless by my lack of agreement with the biggest fans. Maybe indeed discussing with fans condescending and dismissive of "outsiders" opinions is not what I should do, and leaving would make their circle jerk* more enjoyable.

Whatever, good night.

*ok, "cheesburger club" if you wish.
Old 2008-07-31, 16:13   Link #1748
rukori
Bloody legend

I don't think there's anything wrong in discussing something you don't like, and sometimes it can actually be enjoyable. For example: I hate the manga Shamo and just seeing the main character makes me sick, but I like talking about how deeply I hate him in other forums...^-^
Even someone who don't like Claymore can find some interest in this forum imo.
Old 2008-07-31, 16:42   Link #1749
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Flar: It is not really an implied assumption that most your posts really do have a negative viewpoint. I see it, Tenken sees it, Valduran sees it. I mean adding that as fans we are in a constant claymore circle jerk certainly has a biting edge to it. I can't think of how that would be saying anything positive about what we are doing on the forum. Usually I would agree with Valduran about you being very polite about your oppinions, but that crude circle jerk comment has me questioning even that.

As you mentioned in the Chapter 82 thread, "when I want to comment on something awesome, there are already about 4 billions post about it, so to not be redudant I am forced to become analytical about the smallest thing and play at contradicting argumentative, well spoken posters like chibamonster on points I feel should not be left without counterarguments." So as opposed to being redundant and saying good things about claymore finding a way to be unique and analytical about the smallest thing is where you find your individuality. Well it makes sense for why you post and for why we get the impression we do about your viewpoint. It just does not give the other members of the forum an accurate view of your feelings about the story in your quest for individuality as we instead see only your counterpoints.

Part of the reason I am so taken back by these last few posts is that I really was just explaining all the reasons I love Claymore, and the pieces I wished I could see in other series. Your unique response to the very reason I even go to the forum was expressing how meaningless those points were. Not what could have been done better in the story, but what felt wrong to you about it. Even when you did mention things you liked about the story like power ups, consistency, Pieta, pacing, action they only get a nod as you proceed to complain about "weak character interactions, how you "could not care less about Teresa, Galatea, or most of the characters", proceed to make fun of the people of the forum who like the characters, with the finale of "it's still not something I would buy or regret if I couldn't read it anymore".

Even though you do mention things you like, you do not talk about them in a positive light or detail. You even have a negative tone about them. Really your attitude is summed up by when you said, "Can't let the praise get totally out of proportion." ...Can't let you cheeseburger fan club guys enjoy your cheeseburgers too much... What made me flip the switch on this was the fact that I really do enjoy claymore that much and was being honest about what I felt, not looking for a unique way to express a counterpoint to prove my individuality.

Now, as an epilogue to this post I fear my honesty about this might seem like an intent to chase you off of the forum. I fear I did that to PureYoki earlier this month when I confronted his story view and I feel horrible about it. I did not realize the ramifications it would have on him for entering into the conversation with a win/lose attitude. I feel really sorry for putting the spotlight on him like that. You obviously find some deep value to Claymore and its story world. I just wish you would use your analytical and detail oriented mind to help us notice the nuances of things to enjoy, not as a counterpoint to our enjoyment.

Edit: A really sad realization I have had about my own personality on these forums is that I do enjoy arguing with people even though I used to avoid it like the plague. It at least gives me something to post about. When I am just hitting the refresh button to see 1 sentence long comments I feel sad as I want something to talk about. Part of the reason I am looking for something to love as much as claymore is to ween me off my nasty arguing streak... which doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment...

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-07-31 at 16:52.
Old 2008-07-31, 16:55   Link #1750
tenken627
what Yagi said

@Flar: I don't think anyone believes that your opinion is worth more or less depending on the fanaticism. I honestly didn't know that you do enjoy Claymore. Why don't we circle jerk together.

Edit: Actually, nevermind, I'm wrong. You actually have said plenty of positive things in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Now, as an epilogue to this post I fear my honesty about this might seem like an intent to chase you off of the forum. I fear I did that to PureYoki earlier this month when I confronted his story view and I feel horrible about it.
Wha...? PureYoki left?

Last edited by tenken627; 2008-07-31 at 22:50.
Old 2008-07-31, 17:05   Link #1751
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Tenken: I sure hope not, but I have not seen him around since our argument ended in a nasty way a bit ago. I am to blame for it going down hill at the end there as I did my share of taunting.

... and there has to be a more tasteful phrasing to use than circle jerk for liking claymore...
Old 2008-07-31, 17:09   Link #1752
Savannah
I poked my eyes...

I don't get the meaning of "circle jerk" at all...?

When push comes to shove, that's when friction produces heat.

Sry for me bad English, ain't be me main tongue^^
Old 2008-07-31, 17:10   Link #1753
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
@Tenken: I sure hope not, but I have not seen him around since our argument ended in a nasty way a bit ago. I am to blame for it going down hill at the end there as I did my share of taunting.

... and there has to be a more tasteful phrasing to use than circle jerk for liking claymore...
I was busy for a while, and didn't get to read everything, so I dunno what went on. But, I'm sure he'll be back. Hopefully. It was pretty cool to read some of his views.

What's wrong with circle jerk?
Old 2008-07-31, 17:12   Link #1754
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Savannah: That is probably a good thing. Here is the Urban Dictionary Page for circle jerk.

If something pops up in English you do not understand Savannah, the Urban Dictionary is a priceless piece of information. I may be a native english speaker, but I frequently use it to figure out what people mean by their bizarre slang. You probably don't understand it because you speak better English than natives...
Old 2008-08-01, 01:41   Link #1755
Savannah
I poked my eyes...

Quote:
@Savannah: That is probably a good thing. Here is the Urban Dictionary Page for circle jerk.

If something pops up in English you do not understand Savannah, the Urban Dictionary is a priceless piece of information. I may be a native english speaker, but I frequently use it to figure out what people mean by their bizarre slang. You probably don't understand it because you speak better English than natives...
I do? Well, honestly, that's nice to hear Hmm, when I was still in school 3 years ago, my teacher always got annoyed with my Austrailian English Although he said that it's perfect xD

Old 2008-08-02, 12:13   Link #1756
KillerYomaFromSpace

aaah, already 14 pages in the chapter 82 thread, and I'm here desperated waiting for the translation while trying to ninja dodge the spoilers... no fun
Old 2008-08-02, 13:59   Link #1757
Savannah
I poked my eyes...

Ah.... good luck

Closed Thread