AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 22:14   Link #1001
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Saw it yesterday...In many ways it ways phenomenal and in many ways it was generic as hell, but worth the time and the ticket...

Thought Charlie Day from "Sunny in Philly" was great and did the most with the material, as did Idris Elba who put some of the silliest material on his back and carried it like Zues...

This movie reminded me of several mecha movies and series I've seen from NGE to BIG O, so the genre play was great, but my biggest gripe would honestly have to be the main character (Charlie Nunnan) who was so lacking in acting abilities it did make the movie suffer a bit...

He had no chemistry with his female Asian lead or Elba which is tough when it seemed Del Toro was hellbent on wringing every drip of character development out of the poor guy (which included a mid-movie lull)...

It was almost as if Channing Tatum had turned this movie down and they found the next best cardboard cutout action hero with no acting chops to clone him, but it didn't detract so bad since the action was mega...

As for the international aspect, I think it is clear that the dialogue, selection of such bland protagonist, and the comedic appeal of the movie was all done to make it easily digestible when the movie is ultimately subbed, dubbed and drug through Europe and beyond....

I wasn't really upset with the plotlines , because like I said, if you've watched any good amount of anime you've seen stories like Pacific Rim countless times, and the action was actually discernible in way you could appreciate it unlike Man of Steel or [insert horrible Micheal Bay film especially any transformers film here]..So overall i really enjoyed myself..

As many have commented the second to last fight was some of the most amazing $hit you'll ever see or do you know of another movie where a cargo ship is a baseball bat??

Gave the movie a strong 7.13 despite the gripes, but I do have a question inwhich I slept on: Were the dinosaurs actually the creatures in this movie after the earth was made barren from the comet that supposedly destroyed them all? Or did these things destroy the dinosaurs and go back underground until the Earth was rebuilt to their satisfaction millions of years later? (which i found odd because of the Pterodactyl monster which screamed to me that they were related)
Old 2013-07-21, 22:21   Link #1002
ReddyRedWolf

The Kaiju Masters only visited before during the time of the dinosaurs. No they did not kill the dinosaurs.

They found Earth unsuitable for colonization as they'll need to terraform it. Fast forward millions of years later humans made Earth hospitable for the Kaiju Masters as they polluted its environment.

They send in Kaiju to kill off the current inhabitants.

It is also explicitly said they conquer worlds and leave it after they sucked it dry. They are pretty much like Independence Day aliens in that regard.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 22:28   Link #1003
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Then why such the stark visual relation with dinosuars? Could the creator have seen them and genetically created Kaiju with some of their characteristics because it seems like such a relatable plotline (which i know people I went to the movie with wanted to see explored)...Seemed like that wasn't fully explained beyond the throwaway line of them waiting underground for a million years...
Old 2013-07-22, 00:16   Link #1004
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Del Toro hinted at a Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid, so more like Mechagodzilla.
You mean an EVA, with a Venom-2 engine.
Old 2013-07-22, 00:17   Link #1005
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Saw it today ... spent 99% of the movie with a stupid grin on my face. I've never seen such a massive collection of tropes, cliches, and easter egg references done ... so well.

Toro said he approached it like a twelve year old -- he did a good job in that respect and I mean that in a good way.

The anime trope clicker was firing so often I lost count. Even the damned music. Blade Runner, Star Wars, Independence Day, MiB ... little salutes everywhere.

I think my only cringe were the two scientists were a bit too goofy for my tastes. yeah, there were plot holes .. didn't care.
Old 2013-07-22, 01:04   Link #1006
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 01:39   Link #1007
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Mecha musume Cherno Alpha has no arms?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 01:42   Link #1008
Seitsuki
Onee!

Nevermind that Cherno was the heaviest and most well (cough) armoured of the Jaegars...all Russians have to be lolis dammit!
Old 2013-07-22, 02:06   Link #1009
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Mecha musume Cherno Alpha has no arms?
You haven't been watching much Horizon, haven't you. No arms, no legs, missing an arm... And yet all are hot with prosthetics.
Old 2013-07-22, 03:34   Link #1010
Helius

Ah yes, Striker looks "stacked"... all is right with the world.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 03:35   Link #1011
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

That reminds me: Where be the Suwako jokes?
Old 2013-07-22, 04:28   Link #1012
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The Kaiju Masters only visited before during the time of the dinosaurs. No they did not kill the dinosaurs.

They found Earth unsuitable for colonization as they'll need to terraform it. Fast forward millions of years later humans made Earth hospitable for the Kaiju Masters as they polluted its environment.

They send in Kaiju to kill off the current inhabitants.

It is also explicitly said they conquer worlds and leave it after they sucked it dry. They are pretty much like Independence Day aliens in that regard.
I didn't get the part about their past visit at all. A race that is able to bioengineer giant monster soldiers surely should have the technology to easily terraform what humans did for ~200 years worth of pollution. They rather wait millions of years and then use a seemingly far more ressource-expensive method of "acquisition".

A potential sequel might help explaining the details here.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 04:32   Link #1013
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
I didn't get the part about their past visit at all. A race that is able to bioengineer giant monster soldiers surely should have the technology to easily terraform what humans did for ~200 years worth of pollution. They rather wait millions of years and then use a seemingly far more ressource-expensive method of "acquisition".

They might not have that technology 65-200 million years ago.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 05:07   Link #1014
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
They might not have that technology 65-200 million years ago.
That's not the point. As Waven said humanity managed to pollute the Earth in under 200 years so as to cause the planet to be suitable for colonisation, surely it should've been within the capabilities of the aliens to "pollute" Earth millions of years ago instead of terraforming per se.

I agree the whole premise makes little sense, unless I'm missing something here.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 06:33   Link #1015
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

Newt merely gained an incomplete history of the contact with the dinosaurs. He didn't know what really happened.

Also.

Spoiler for Mecha Masamune:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 06:41   Link #1016
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I never thought I'd see the day when 3 arms in a china dress was hot.
Old 2013-07-22, 06:50   Link #1017
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

As I mentioned, a sequel might logically explain why they waited so long. It may be something else they want than just natural ressources that were present millions of years ago.

I first thought it might be humans (or whatever intelligent race would evolve) as a ressource they're after (maybe we're juicy and yummy to them, taste great with a good whine ). Needless to say I instantly threw away the idea as the Kaiju are clearly set on genocide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Newt merely gained an incomplete history of the contact with the dinosaurs. He didn't know what really happened.

Spoiler for :
A salute to our brave saurian protectors! We will never forget you. *tear*
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 07:16   Link #1018
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^Then why such the stark visual relation with dinosuars? Could the creator have seen them and genetically created Kaiju with some of their characteristics because it seems like such a relatable plotline (which i know people I went to the movie with wanted to see explored)...Seemed like that wasn't fully explained beyond the throwaway line of them waiting underground for a million years...
They are not underground they are in another universe. Also Kaiju are not carbon based but silicon based lifeforms.

In the Master's dimension we the Kaiju built in an assembly line.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 07:49   Link #1019
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

Quote:
A salute to our brave saurian protectors! We will never forget you. *tear*
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 08:27   Link #1020
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hence why this race exists, at all.

LOL, taking this crack and this race together, makes us on Earth sound like Gargantia already!

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster