Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-30, 13:26   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 517 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-09-30, 13:30   Link #2
marvelB

Quite an interesting-sounding chapter. Summary:

-Hancock's crew returns to Amazon Lily. The village elder lady asks Hancock to recount the events with Momonga, but the empress refuses, saying that the era of the previous empress, Gloriosa, is over. She then goes ahead to take a bath, during which no one is allowed to see her....

-It's then explained that the Boa sisters had killed a sea monster known as the "Gorgon", which turns people to stone upon eye contact. However, after killing the beast, the three sisters had a curse placed upon them, which places an eye on their back. Anyone who looks at this eye will turn to stone and die, which is the reason why Hancock won't allow anyone near her when bathing. Luffy, on the other hand, is standing on a wall, wondering what to do next. He jumps off the wall, falls into the water, and is face-to-face with Hancock.

-Luffy wants to borrow a ship from her. She tries to turn Luffy to stone, but it doesn't affect him. Apparently, Hancock gets angry, does some kind of snake-themed Haki attack, and turns Margaret into stone(!). Then Luffy tells her (probably out of anger) that if she's a Shichibukai, then he is a king....

Well, this is certainly something, isn't it? It looks like Hancock and her sisters may not have DF powers after all (and it's kinda nice to know that the stone powers don't just work on men)! Of course, as many already guessed, Hancock's power didn't work on Luffy (poor Margaret, though...). I somehow wonder if Luffy will be the one who lends a hand in removing the Boa sisters' curse....
Old 2008-09-30, 13:55   Link #3
Crimson Reaper

So Oda is going wilth the full Gorgon legend backstory and not just giving Hancock a stone power just for the Hell of it, interesting.

I'm also surprised the actual turning people to stone power is not a Devil Fruit. Although that doesn't quite explain how she can use that power without showing the eye. Maybe she does have a DF power that just so happens to work along with her curse?

A former leader against Hancock's way of running things, I see her helping Luffy in order preserve the treaty that protects the Amazons.

And surprise surprise Luffy isn't affected by the stone curse, because he's made of rubber? Haki protection? Can't wait to learn how.

But why was Margaret turned to stone? Did she catch up and accidently get him by a stray curse ray? Was she trying to protect Luffy and got punished? But now Luffy has to save her, we're getting to the main battle already!
But it's likely Luffy will have to pull back until he learns to use Haki and then take out the other two sisters before the final showdown.
Old 2008-09-30, 14:19   Link #4
marvelB

Yeah, the spoiler summaries I've read didn't mention why Margaret was turned to stone. We should find out tomorrow though, when a more detailed summary appears....

And as far as Hancock's abilities go, I see two possibilities: Either she has a DF power that that can somehow manipulate her gorgon eye so that it's unnecessary to look at her back to be turned to stone, or she uses Haki to distract her (male) enemies so she or her sisters can briefly reveal their backs for the finishing blow. Either way, it seems that eye contact is necessary after all (notice that Momonga wasn't looking at Hancock when he stabbed himself). Though that still doesn't explain why Luffy isn't affected by the power.....
Old 2008-09-30, 14:49   Link #5
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Um...some of the spoiler text may be fake. There were some pictures posted..that were related too some of the text but they're are so clearly fake.

The first 2 paragraphs...marvel posted...are authentic...the ones after seem doubtful.
Old 2008-09-30, 14:54   Link #6
james0246

Looks like a fun chapter, if for no other reason than seeing Boa in a bath.

That being said, interesting choice in continuing with the Gorgon myth. I have to wonder just how powerful her sisters are, if all three were equally cursed.
Old 2008-09-30, 14:57   Link #7
Captain Roronoa Zoro

i wonder how many chapter one piece will be. not tht im complaining at all but it looks like it could go int like the 700's
Old 2008-09-30, 15:04   Link #8
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^ i think oda want a thousand
Old 2008-09-30, 18:58   Link #9
Would?
Ravemaster

Send a message via AIM to Would?
In the text does it say that Margaret was irreversibly turned to stone? that would suck... no new crew member in her then...
And on the subject of the back-eye and Boa's DF, she could have a ability like Robin's that makes eyes sprout instead, so she didn't have to turn around to use the eye's power.

It is amazing how much of One Piece's stories Oda borrows from classic literature. I'm not criticizing it, in fact I think he does a great job connecting OP to ancient stories.

P.s. I think if any manga was to go past 1000 chapters, it would be One Piece
Old 2008-09-30, 19:36   Link #10
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
What?! She got turned into stone?! ><! Sucks. Any idea if Luffy blushed or anything seeing Boa naked?
Old 2008-09-30, 20:06   Link #11
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
^ i think oda want a thousand
what oda want, oda get!

alright, i seriously hope that she and luffy become friends, or at least tolorate each other. and she teaches him haki
Old 2008-09-30, 21:30   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
Um...some of the spoiler text may be fake. There were some pictures posted..that were related too some of the text but they're are so clearly fake.

The first 2 paragraphs...marvel posted...are authentic...the ones after seem doubtful.

Supposedly, the source of that second summary usually had legit spoilers, so I figured the info from that additional summary was safe to post after all. As for the pictures, it was actually explained that it was a fan's interpretation of the events of the spoiler summary, so we can disregard those.

Of course, we'll know for sure soon enough if that last bit of info is fake or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
alright, i seriously hope that she and luffy become friends, or at least tolorate each other. and she teaches him haki

If Hancock really turned Margaret into stone, I highly doubt that Luffy would want to be pals with her anytime soon....
Old 2008-09-30, 22:10   Link #13
ellifeedn
Thinker

It may be DB/Z/GT influence that's making me think that Luffy may dress up as a woman and pretend to be Hancock so that he can get off the island, find his crew, and help his brother.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:45   Link #14
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
It may be DB/Z/GT influence that's making me think that Luffy may dress up as a woman and pretend to be Hancock so that he can get off the island, find his crew, and help his brother.
How do you propose he's gonna help his brother?
Old 2008-10-01, 04:41   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Like maybe the D is already a curse? And an even bigger curse than the Gorgons? That's why he wasn't affected by a weaker curse?

Certainly a very interesting twist of events this chapter.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-10-01, 05:09   Link #16
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I think Luffy would die quicker if she saw her 'other eyes' instead of the ones in the back.
Old 2008-10-01, 07:04   Link #17
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Quite an interesting-sounding chapter. Summary:

-Hancock's crew returns to Amazon Lily. The village elder lady asks Hancock to recount the events with Momonga, but the empress refuses, saying that the era of the previous empress, Gloriosa, is over. She then goes ahead to take a bath, during which no one is allowed to see her....

-It's then explained that the Boa sisters had killed a sea monster known as the "Gorgon", which turns people to stone upon eye contact. However, after killing the beast, the three sisters had a curse placed upon them, which places an eye on their back. Anyone who looks at this eye will turn to stone and die, which is the reason why Hancock won't allow anyone near her when bathing. Luffy, on the other hand, is standing on a wall, wondering what to do next. He jumps off the wall, falls into the water, and is face-to-face with Hancock.

-Luffy wants to borrow a ship from her. She tries to turn Luffy to stone, but it doesn't affect him. Apparently, Hancock gets angry, does some kind of snake-themed Haki attack, and turns Margaret into stone(!). Then Luffy tells her (probably out of anger) that if she's a Shichibukai, then he is a king....

Well, this is certainly something, isn't it? It looks like Hancock and her sisters may not have DF powers after all (and it's kinda nice to know that the stone powers don't just work on men)! Of course, as many already guessed, Hancock's power didn't work on Luffy (poor Margaret, though...). I somehow wonder if Luffy will be the one who lends a hand in removing the Boa sisters' curse....
OMG my favourite part: Luffy's going into "I'm THE PIRATE KING!!!" mode, so he's gonna be owning some new Boa rugs soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Would? View Post
In the text does it say that Margaret was irreversibly turned to stone? that would suck... no new crew member in her then...
Yeah... totally feel the same way, dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I think Luffy would die quicker if she saw her 'other eyes' instead of the ones in the back.
Didn't get this one, but I assume it was some innuendo.

Bad boy, bad!!!

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2008-10-01, 08:27   Link #18
Paraden1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Reaper View Post
So Oda is going wilth the full Gorgon legend backstory and not just giving Hancock a stone power just for the Hell of it, interesting.

I'm also surprised the actual turning people to stone power is not a Devil Fruit. Although that doesn't quite explain how she can use that power without showing the eye. Maybe she does have a DF power that just so happens to work along with her curse?

A former leader against Hancock's way of running things, I see her helping Luffy in order preserve the treaty that protects the Amazons.

And surprise surprise Luffy isn't affected by the stone curse, because he's made of rubber? Haki protection? Can't wait to learn how.

But why was Margaret turned to stone? Did she catch up and accidently get him by a stray curse ray? Was she trying to protect Luffy and got punished? But now Luffy has to save her, we're getting to the main battle already!
But it's likely Luffy will have to pull back until he learns to use Haki and then take out the other two sisters before the final showdown.
maybe the Gorgon could be on of the sea devils that Shanks was talking about... the ones who created the devil fruits because Boa did say "Mero Mero" before she turn the marines to stone.
Old 2008-10-01, 08:57   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I don't know where you're getting this Margarget thing, because that's not what happened.
(neither branky nor himajin's posts have anything with Margaret in it)

Luffy sees what's on Hancock's back, and recognizes it.
Hancock is furious that someone saw it. (as in, someone saw her secret)

We do not know what's on her back, whether the story about the Gorgon sisters and the eyes are truth, or it's a lie to hide something... something that Luffy has seen before.
(obviously, it's not eyes that turns into stones, as Luffy is perfectly fine)

Margaret is not mentioned in the early spoiler confirmed by branky, nor is she present in pics Himajin posted.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:00   Link #20
marvelB

Well, the spoiler pics arrived. Interestingly enough, the gorgon eyes are depicted as a pair of eyes on the sisters' shoulders. Also, Hancock proves that she's even more of a bitch by kicking an old lady through a window. Yikes....

Uh, so it looks like that part about Margaret turning to stone was fake after all. Though, it seems like the part about Luffy being unaffected by Hancock's power is true.... sort of. After landing in her bathing room, Luffy actually says he recognizes whatever is on Hancock's back. What could this mean? Maybe the whole gorgon eye story was a fairy tale the sisters made up to hide an even bigger secret? After all, no one's actually seen the eyes (the Kuja crew says they were only told about them). What could really be on their backs...?

Edit: Heh, got ninja'd by aohige XD
Closed Thread