AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2009-06-05, 00:09   Link #101
Kudryavka

30+ characters in a 13 episode anime? Gives me the vibe that a) they aren't all gonna get air time, or b)the studio will try to cram in stories for each of the characters in the short anime series and therefore ruin all of the characters' stories.
Or they'll go over a few characters' stories in depth and give samples of the others in the anime, then expand on the others' stories in the other media this "multimedia project" will have.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 00:14   Link #102
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
30+ characters in a 13 episode anime? Gives me the vibe that a) they aren't all gonna get air time, or b)the studio will try to cram in stories for each of the characters in the short anime series and therefore ruin all of the characters' stories.
Or they'll go over a few characters' stories in depth and give samples of the others in the anime, then expand on the others' stories in the other media this "multimedia project" will have.
I don't see it as them all having some screen time to tell stories about each of them, I think some will just appear as simple background characters with a little more personality and character about them. again
Like Samurai Deeper Kyo manga, it has a huge cast but not everyone had backstories about them and I thought it worked out well enough there.
Old 2009-06-05, 00:54   Link #103
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Because Key working on an original anime project automatically mean Kyoto Animation is involved, right?

We'll be seeing Little Busters this fall, believe me.
I doubt it. If Little Busters was coming this fall, it would probably have been announced by now. I'm not really expecting it before winter 2010.

...Of course, I could be wrong, and it would be awesome if I was, but realistically speaking, I don't see much hope of getting Little Busters this year.
Old 2009-06-05, 01:26   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I doubt it. If Little Busters was coming this fall, it would probably have been announced by now. I'm not really expecting it before winter 2010.

...Of course, I could be wrong, and it would be awesome if I was, but realistically speaking, I don't see much hope of getting Little Busters this year.
I agree with that. LB will be a major project and to have no announcement three months out seems almost unthinkable. If it happens it won't be before 2010. I'm intrigued by LB, as it seems a bit to the edgier side of Key's ouvre - and I think they desperately need a little edge to cut though the thick treacle that coats their more melodramatic stuff.

As for AB, well - I haven't seen a single thing about the art or the premise that looks remotely interesting to me. But it's Key and Maebara Jun who, for all his considerable faults, does have a talent for melodrama on the major scale, so it's one of those series where you take a few eps on faith and hope for the best.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 01:51   Link #105
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
KyoAni does a Key adaptation every fall season.

They didn't announce Haruhi either, and I'd argue that's more of a major project.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 02:24   Link #106
Westlo
Lets be reality

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being one cour now and one cour 3-6 months later.

Quote:
KyoAni does a Key adaptation every fall season.

They didn't announce Haruhi either, and I'd argue that's more of a major project.
I highly doubt KyoAni are going to launch Little Busters in Fall... being a small studio and all they usually take a break for a season every now and than.

After a 2 season break without releasing anything in Spring 08 and Summer 08 besides a Luck Star OVA they have done.

Fall 08 - Clannad AS
Winter 09 - Munto
Spring 09 - K-ON!
Summer 09 - Haruhi 2 (majority of the new 14 episodes airs this season)
And there's a Munto movie floating around though most of it is already animated.

Was also a break between Haruhi in Spring 2006 and Kanon in Fall 2006.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 08:00   Link #107
Choushinsei

Kyoani is indeed a small studio, but Little Busters in Fall isn't entirely impossible. Their recent output is really remarkable though, especially in consideration of Kyoani's stance towards outsourcing. Takemoto is now directing Haruhi so Ishihara could be working on another project, but taking a break in Fall wouldn't be wrong for quality's sake, otherwise it could lead to a drop in animation quality (like Munto TV). If Kyoani is planning something for Fall, then they'll probably make an announcement after the last episode of K-ON!.

As for Angel Beats: I really hope they find a good director, Yutaka Yamamoto would be awesome for this kind of project.
Choushinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 08:01   Link #108
relentlessflame

*Administrator

In the end, the important point for this thread isn't whether or not Little Busters is coming this Fall, it's that the existence of this other Key-related anime doesn't necessarily preclude it from occurring. It's not that they're doing this *instead*, given that an entirely different team is working on it. So, I think that's the real "take-away" here. If you had asked me before this whole thing was announced, I probably would have guessed they'd take a break this Fall anyway and give it a bit of time to breathe, but ultimately time will tell.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 11:01   Link #109
maximilianjenus
[E]

I was going to get angry because of the derailment, but then again no news about angel beats have been released lately and there is not another media so we can speculate.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 11:10   Link #110
rg4619

Quote:
Kyoani is indeed a small studio
For an anime studio, Kyoto Animation is very large. In terms of staff count, they now equal giants like J.C. STAFF and Madhouse.

I guess that more work remains in-house, hence the reduced (albeit increasing) output.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 12:21   Link #111
Choushinsei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
For an anime studio, Kyoto Animation is very large. In terms of staff count, they now equal giants like J.C. STAFF and Madhouse.
Very large? In terms of the number of actual animation staff Kyoani is nowhere near J.C. Staff or Madhouse. The latter two companies are largely outsourcing production steps like digital painting, backgrounds, etc. and especially Madhouse works frequently with freelancers, while Kyoani does nearly everything in-house and still has about only half the number of employees of J.C./Madhouse. That's why comparing the staff count of studios without looking into the details is not necessarily useful.

Sorry for off-topic
Choushinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 20:20   Link #112
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choushinsei View Post
Very large? In terms of the number of actual animation staff Kyoani is nowhere near J.C. Staff or Madhouse. The latter two companies are largely outsourcing production steps like digital painting, backgrounds, etc. and especially Madhouse works frequently with freelancers, while Kyoani does nearly everything in-house and still has about only half the number of employees of J.C./Madhouse. That's why comparing the staff count of studios without looking into the details is not necessarily useful.

Sorry for off-topic
I'm aware of that.

However, I just see this as a different approach to output. If we were to look purely at the scale of their operation (in terms of employees, which now number well over 100), KyoAni is still one of the largest studios, no matter how resources are hired or allocated. I'm not referring to the number of simultaneous projects they can accommodate.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 20:59   Link #113
Kudryavka

Speaking of which, does KyoAni charge high prices to make anime adaptions? I noticed that except K-ON!, they've stuck to series with a lot of money or fans (Haruhi, Lucky Star, Key's games). And also, does the author of the manga approach an animation company when they want an anime made of their comic, or do animation studios choose series that they think are popular? Been wondering this for some time.
Old 2009-06-05, 21:59   Link #114
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
However, I just see this as a different approach to output. If we were to look purely at the scale of their operation (in terms of employees, which now number well over 100), KyoAni is still one of the largest studios, no matter how resources are hired or allocated. I'm not referring to the number of simultaneous projects they can accommodate.
You can see the overall art/direction quality dropping, though. Compare Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody to the original episodes of Haruhi... although it's still far above the average studio, there's definitely less detail to the characters.

Quote:
Speaking of which, does KyoAni charge high prices to make anime adaptions? I noticed that except K-ON!, they've stuck to series with a lot of money or fans (Haruhi, Lucky Star, Key's games). And also, does the author of the manga approach an animation company when they want an anime made of their comic, or do animation studios choose series that they think are popular? Been wondering this for some time.
I'm wondering this too, though I remember something about KyoAni only animating Haruhi because most of the staff were fans of the novels.
Old 2009-06-06, 00:17   Link #115
Kudryavka

Quote:
You can see the overall art/direction quality dropping, though. Compare Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody to the original episodes of Haruhi... although it's still far above the average studio, there's definitely less detail to the characters.
Well, that could just be the change of director.
Old 2009-06-06, 00:27   Link #116
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Well, that could just be the change of director.
If that's the case I prefer the old one. =P

In any case, they should stick to the Key style for Little Busters.

Also, speaking of which, I wonder how Na-Ga's designs for Angel Beats are going to look animated...
Old 2009-06-06, 11:06   Link #117
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
In any case, they should stick to the Key style for Little Busters.
I assume you know most of the Little Busters characters are designed by Na-Ga. If they animate the characters all looking like Itaru Hinoue's sketchy googly-eyed style I'll be extremely disappointed. Not that I have a problem with Itaru Hinoue's style, but Na-Ga's style seems more streamlined, modern and consistent.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 12:13   Link #118
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I assume you know most of the Little Busters characters are designed by Na-Ga. If they animate the characters all looking like Itaru Hinoue's sketchy googly-eyed style I'll be extremely disappointed. Not that I have a problem with Itaru Hinoue's style, but Na-Ga's style seems more streamlined, modern and consistent.
Agreed. I think that Na-Ga has more reality in his style, especially in his male character designs. Itaru's is a bit too cartoony for me.
Old 2009-06-06, 12:57   Link #119
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

My song for her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7HAp9xjEQ

Also Breast Compare.
Spoiler for Yuri and Angels breast.:
Old 2009-06-07, 00:13   Link #120
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I know, I know, but the styles are still fairly similar.

Just by looking at Little Busters you can tell it's a Key game, you know what I mean?

So, anyway, I wonder who IS going to be animating this? A-1 seems the logical choice here...

Tags
key