AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read anime reviews?
yes 57 69.51%
no 25 30.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-01-20, 12:32   Link #1
animeboy12

Do you read anime reviews?

or watch, as I know there a couple of sites that do video reviews

Despite all the sources for anime reviews (mostly fans) I don't read much, and on the rare occasion when I do "read" it's either a very quick skim, I just go the the score or grade, or if it's a blog I'm just there for the pics.

I've already watched it. Chances are if I'm even think about reading a review for an anime I'm interested in. I've probably already seen it or seen enough of it to from my own opinion.

genre bias
- unfortunately from my perspective this seems to plague a lot of reviews I've, well, skimmed through, but it does get annoying reading review, that don't seem to fault anime series for for it executed, but just take jabs at it's genre, or seem to criticizes things that does or expected to do because of it's genre

lack of professional reviews- Now don't get me wrong, personally I have nothing but disdain for most of the professional anime review outlet out today and especially animenewnetwork but I will concede that it is nice to read something that I can expect a certain degree of competency from them....in writing at least, shames their opinions in my opinion suck

Needless to say, even though I'm not against anime reviews, a just really can't muster up the care to really read one.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 13:42   Link #2
james0246

I used to read DVD reviews on animeondvd back in the day...until they changed.

Now a days, no I really do not read reviews for anything anime related anymore.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:16   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I only read a short synopsis with lots of screencaps. Reasons ranging from reference, finding out where I left off, cross-reference with orginal material (novel, manga), sneak peak or checking in on shows I dropped (now and then), as well as some other similar reason (debates can be nice).

As I see it, for anime the following rules define a good review,
  1. Must have screencaps
  2. Must have clearly defined independent of personal bias synopsis of contents; should be at least 2-3 paragraph (but no more then 4-6).
  3. Must appear 3h ~ 6h after airing (exception OVA/Movies)
  4. Must have cross-references (when applicable); this applies to both jokes and other stuff not immediately evident to the layman.
  5. Must contain reflection on previous events; in other words the purpose of the writers opinion should (mainly) focus on where we are now in the story and relation to what has happened before (other seasons included).
  6. Any other opinion should be backed by "tangible" evidence; this includes comparisons with other shows.

I'm happy when I see quality 3 or 4 level. Sadly most don't meet that and honestly I've seen better oiled forum posts comparable to some of the self-proclaimed reviews out there (which typically focus on either extreme bias, hate/love/neutrality or some niche). I'm pretty sure, this thread refers to the snobby "hi, I'm pro blogger and found out about anime" review writers so my vote is "no, I don't read reviews".
Old 2010-01-20, 14:31   Link #4
mg1942

I rely on randomcuriosity and sankaku blogs for impressions on newly released anime. I think Professional review is useful if you want to watch animes from 2-5 years ago on DVD.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:52   Link #5
Greenish Growth

No, I don't read anime reviews because often my opinion of the anime turns out to be quite different from theirs. Because of the way I've watched anime through the years nearly everything falls into these categories:

1. Anime I had no knowledge about and/or didn't have easy access to seeing.

2. Anime from the past I have no interest in watching.

3. Anime from the past I seen some or all of.

4. Anime I'm viewing now.

5. Anime coming out in the future.

For category #1 there's no need for a review because I don't even know about the anime and/or can't easily watch it even if I did know about it. For categories #2, #3 and #4 there's no need for a review because I already know what I think about the anime. Anime in category #5 wouldn't have reviews since the anime hasn't come out yet.

I get annoyed at missing out on artwork from anime, so I have been viewing shows this way and there isn't really a need to read reviews.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 15:38   Link #6
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I use them to get an idea of the plot and general premise. Your average summary doesn't say too much. But, they have rarely influenced my opinion on anything. Like animeboy said in the OP, the biases in those reviews to be extremely heavy (lol ANN) and thus come off as unprofessional. I actually find myself more influenced by the comments posted around these forums. The assorted blog entries over the net are much more helpful than any review to me.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 15:56   Link #7
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Yes, but only the ones I watched in fansubs before.

I just want to know how different than I'm expecting.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:14   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Other than randomcuriosity.... no. And certainly not ANN -- ANN is nothing more than hypocritical trollbait to lure in eyeball counts for ads. I hate it when someone links to it because I know the source will be lacking in value and that I've simply added another set of eyeballs to the ad count.

I do follow a few blogs and postings of particular individuals whose opinion I respect and when they mention a new series they like, I'll take a look. But that's too broad to call a "review".
Old 2010-01-20, 16:17   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I mostly read reviews (more like blogs) after I watch the anime to see different views. Otherwise, it's just brief synopses, since I do not want to risk getting spoiled.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:19   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Other than randomcuriosity.... no.
+1 to randomcuriosity. THAT and sankaku complex are amusing to read though.
Old 2010-01-20, 16:28   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sankaku is hilarious to read for all sorts of reasons... its always a food fight of some kind.
Old 2010-01-20, 16:46   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

On occasions, I read episodic reviews and reviews on anime of other blogs. Depending on the effort, these reviews may turn out professional, although bias can still exist in any kind of review, but not as much compared to sites like ANN.
Old 2010-01-20, 17:03   Link #13
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I mostly read reviews (more like blogs) after I watch the anime to see different views. Otherwise, it's just brief synopses, since I do not want to risk getting spoiled.
Pretty much what I exactly do too.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 17:05   Link #14
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sankaku is hilarious to read for all sorts of reasons... its always a food fight of some kind.
lol Sankaku. Well, at least they don't pretend to be serious.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 17:14   Link #15
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol Sankaku. Well, at least they don't pretend to be serious.
The comments are also hilarious, predictive and retarded too. Common comments include:

Someone who types /fap
A "weeaboo-hater" posting in a weeaboo website
Bow down to XYZ Overlords
X anime is overrated
Y anime is underated
Dissing 2ch's tastes in anime
Japan > Other asian country comments.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 17:16   Link #16
hinakatbklyn

I usually check out a review as a second opinion to see what they think about a series or episode I have yet to watch. Some shows that I had no major interest in, got hooked on a late review, I went back to check out a few episodes.
Spoiler for Series and blogger credited:

Some shows no matter how popular also get ripped apart by other bloggers or reviewers even though I end up watching most of them.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:11   Link #17
Haladflire65
*Artist

Yeah, to me the quality of the anime's very important so I always research it through reviews and blogs to see what other people say. I think it's good to know what you're getting into before you start watching a new series so it doesn't end up that I've just been wasting a whole lot of time.
Old 2010-01-20, 18:16   Link #18
Seitsuki
Onee!

Opinions can be very subjective though. I usually find something (relatively) impartial, such as Wikipedia or TVTropes to be more than enough to either pique my interest or put me of.
Old 2010-01-20, 18:17   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Haladflire65: And what's your unbiased source; most of the time I find either I waste too much time finding one or it doesn't cover all of everything (in its schedule).
Old 2010-01-20, 18:45   Link #20
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Haladflire65: And what's your unbiased source; most of the time I find either I waste too much time finding one or it doesn't cover all of everything (in its schedule).
Well, I just look at a lot of different blogs and reviews by different people so I get a variety of opinions. I refer to Random Curiosity a lot, but I look at those mostly for the screencaps.