AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-04, 15:13   Link #761
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Taken from the episode 13 thread:

Spoiler:
As usual, we have different opinions since I totally found RankaxAlto moment here adorable. I posted a similar response in the Alto thread so I'll just repost

Spoiler for Alto Saotome thread discussion:

I don't see anything inconsistent between Alto's attitude in 13 due to reasons stated above. Before Sheryl got in the picture in 5, the first four episodes served as a ground to establish Ranka and Alto's friendship. Ranka and Alto are shown to be mutually close with the texting/talking to each other most of the time. Brotherly feelings or not, he has a soft spot for her. Alto is also shown to be most content when he's with Ranka and vice versa.

Also I don't think Alto and Ranka are in the "lovers mode" though. Whatever happened to them in that little moment of silence earlier on, it certainly doesn't equate to them being lovers. They just got a little closer than before. I prefer it better this way.

Based on the vibe I got from SherylxAlto in this episode, Alto considers Sheryl as a good friend along with Michael and trusts them enough to rely on them. Sheryl, on the other hand, respects his feelings and bears no jealousy or whatsoever. Maybe she expected this already? Since she knows Ranka has a thing for Alto too. It's also nice to note that she didn't think anything of him leaving Galia 4 with Ranka--just pure concern when she found out that something might've happened to them. I never saw Sheryl being emo, always talking about Alto during her search with Michael anyway. This behavior of hers definitely is giving her character some justice. From what I see, there are no pitiful "underdog" in this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Michel is teasing her. He's very astute at seeing relationship stuff so I'm sure he's quite aware of Sheryl's feelings for Alto. Remember that it was him that first noticed why Sheryl kept hanging around Alto in ep 8. I figure he will either become a neutral party or become pro SherylxAlto as he seems them fumbling around each other.
But it was nice to see him make Sheryl blush though. Meriting her about her confidence and saying how good of a woman she is, and she goes ahead and reacts to it.
Old 2008-07-04, 15:24   Link #762
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same part, but Michael's question was "Is this the strength of a woman?" seems to specifically be directed with respect to Sheryl's concern for Alto (not to say that the strength of a woman need be limited to the context of her romantic interests, but his next implications seem to follow those lines). That's why when she replies by insisting that she's just doing what needs to be done, Michael tells her that she isn't honest. That's the lead in to Michael's musings on the girls around Alto and about how stubborn they are.

Hopefully that should clear it up for you.
Old 2008-07-04, 15:52   Link #763
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
As usual, we have different opinions since I totally found RankaxAlto moment here adorable. I posted a similar response in the Alto thread so I'll just repost

Spoiler for Alto Saotome thread discussion:

I don't see anything inconsistent between Alto's attitude in 13 due to reasons stated above. Before Sheryl got in the picture in 5, the first four episodes served as a ground to establish Ranka and Alto's friendship. Ranka and Alto are shown to be mutually close with the texting/talking to each other most of the time. Brotherly feelings or not, he has a soft spot for her. Alto is also shown to be most content when he's with Ranka and vice versa.
Hello, is that all you want to reply to crisis's post? I wonder if you really understand what he said or you just try to avoid sensitive parts. He is asking you that how you fit 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 into your so-called consistent picture, I didn't see you answer on that.

Quote:
Based on the vibe I got from SherylxAlto in this episode, Alto considers Sheryl as a good friend along with Michael and trusts them enough to rely on them. Sheryl, on the other hand, respects his feelings and bears no jealousy or whatsoever. Maybe she expected this already? Since she knows Ranka has a thing for Alto too. It's also nice to note that she didn't think anything of him leaving Galia 4 with Ranka--just pure concern when she found out that something might've happened to them. I never saw Sheryl being emo, always talking about Alto during her search with Michael anyway. This behavior of hers definitely is giving her character some justice. From what I see, there are no pitiful "underdog" in this episode.
No, of course not. What did you expect? The underdog role is specifically designed for Ranka. I have said before, underdog position for Sheryl, very likely; underdog attitude for Sheryl, never. But be able to hold herself in dangerous situation doesn't mean she feels no fear; be able to keep jealousy in check doesn't mean she doesn't like Alto any less than Ranka.

I have to admit I found our minds work totally. It seems you need characters boardcast their thoughts so you can understand what they think. You don't read the one second hesistation before Sheryl answer Alto's request? It doesn't like she feels nothing, it's she knows what is more important.

Also, Alto sees Ranka is the one must be saved, but it doesn't matter by whom. He doesn't ask Mikhail and Sheryl to hold Brera so he can save Ranka with his own hand.

What this implies? I think, YES, he thinks Sheryl a friend, he thinks Ranka also a friend. He isn't biased towards Ranka. If he really thinks Ranka any more special than a friend, he would subconsiously choose to save Ranka by himself.

Quote:
But it was nice to see him make Sheryl blush though. Meriting her about her confidence and saying how good of a woman she is, and she goes ahead and reacts to it.
Isn't it just an evidence how easy to get Sheryl embrassed whenever Alto is in question? I'm not sure if you're intentional or not, it sounds like you imply Sheryl may have a thing for Mikhail? Perhaps because I can't remember you have said anything alike when Alto makes Sheryl flush? Sorry to bring up older things, do you think they are at least equally cute when Sheryl blushes in ep5, 6, 8 and 10?
Old 2008-07-04, 15:56   Link #764
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
He's thinking about both Sheryl and Ranka at that time, though. The context is that all three girls are determined people.

Besides, loli-Klein is the version that pops up in his head. Which one of the two other girls is closer to that?
By that logic, I could borrow some of Wesley84's logic (sorry to anyone who has him on block)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Prediction: Whomever Alto tells about his mother will win. Flying, acting, his father, that's practically common knowledge. His mom though, nobody knows.
And just go all out Oedipal... Ranka reminds Alto of mommy. Ranka = W1N kthxbye.

Anyway I don't feel like justifying my correlation, but I'm still shipping MichaelXSheryl. He's better for Sheryl than that bum Alto. Well, until Michael eats some pineapple salad, anyway.

edit: better wording
Old 2008-07-04, 16:04   Link #765
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Besides, loli-Klein is the version that pops up in his head. Which one of the two other girls is closer to that?
Considering that "the other version" of Klein is, let's put it this way - a bit difficult to imagine yourself involved with due to 'slight" difference in height and mass and type of sentient being, how is this indicative of anything?

Old 2008-07-04, 16:15   Link #766
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
And just go all out Oedipal... Ranka reminds Alto of mommy. Ranka = W1N kthxbye.
It's troublesome. You mean Alto's mommy is really like a little sister to him? Rely on him, look him up like a savor, ask him for advice on anything?

Who said Alto doesn't have a hero complex? This guy only wants girls (even his mommy) who can make him feel like a hero.

Quote:
Anyway I don't feel like justifying my correlation, but I'm still shipping MichaelXSheryl. He's better for Sheryl than that bum Alto. Well, until Michael eats some pineapple salad, anyway.
I notice you are a Ranka fan, so may I ask you if you have good reason other than get Sheryl out of picture? And where do you want to put Klan Klan.

By the way, I am a LeonXRanka shipper. Because Ranka has thought she could't do anything, and Leon has done his best to make sure Ranka was correct. But when Ranka thinks she can do something, Leon steps aside to allow Ranka does whatever she wants to do. What a fantastic couple.

RankaXLeon ftw.

I'm kidding.
Old 2008-07-04, 16:30   Link #767
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
By the way, I am a LeonXRanka shipper. Because Ranka has thought she could't do anything, and Leon has done his best to make sure Ranka was correct. But when Ranka thinks she can do something, Leon steps aside to allow Ranka does whatever she wants to do. What a fantastic couple.

RankaXLeon ftw.

I'm kidding.
Old 2008-07-04, 17:09   Link #768
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
By that logic, I could borrow some of Wesley84's logic

That really isn't the way that the Oedipus complex works...

Quote:
I like Michael a lot too (in some ways, he's much easier to relate to than Alto), but I give my full support to Sheryl and her feelings, because I see their depth. Love isn't about finding a person who is "good enough"... it's about recognizing that the person is "good enough". Perfection lies in perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Considering that "the other version" of Klein is, let's put it this way - a bit difficult to imagine yourself involved with due to 'slight" difference in height and mass and type of sentient being, how is this indicative of anything?
Well, we did see Michael playing with Klein in her normal form during their childhood (I wonder what side effects her gene error would have produced had she been micloned as a child?) Given the nature of his first memories of her, I would have imagined that he'd be more inclined to think of the larger Klein before the smaller one. Then again, what do the animators care?

But it was supposed to be a spoof argument in the first place.
Old 2008-07-04, 17:20   Link #769
Wesley84

Quote:
That really isn't the way that the Oedipus complex works...
Yeah, he'd first have to be adopted by Ozma, who has married Ranka.
Old 2008-07-04, 17:30   Link #770
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
It's troublesome. You mean Alto's mommy is really like a little sister to him? Rely on him, look him up like a savor, ask him for advice on anything?
I don't know... all we know about his mom is that he likes throwing paper airplanes when she's around.

Quote:
Who said Alto doesn't have a hero complex? This guy only wants girls (even his mommy) who can make him feel like a hero.

I notice you are a Ranka fan, so may I ask you if you have good reason other than get Sheryl out of picture? And where do you want to put Klan Klan.
I haven't figured out what to do with Klan yet. Maybe she can eat the pineapple salad, thus opening things up for MichaelXSheryl... atlhough I really like Klan. Regardless, my point wasn't that it's logical, or likely, my point was that it's possible, at least from Michael's attitude towards Sheryl. And if nothing else, he seems to be able to understand her more than anyone so far in the series.

Why exactly does it have to be Alto/Sheryl/Ranka until the climax for the remaining 12-13 episodes? And what would be so bad about Sheryl ending up with Michael anyway, aside from the fact that she wants to be with Alto right now?

Quote:
That's just silly. I mean, if anything, Bobby and Leon will hit it off when they find out they go to the same hairstylist.
Old 2008-07-04, 17:39   Link #771
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Yeah, he'd first have to be adopted by Ozma, who has married Ranka.
It would also need to happen when Alto is very young, at that. His 'mother' probably wouldn't be much older than two at the time.

Quote:
Why exactly does it have to be Alto/Sheryl/Ranka until the climax for the remaining 12-13 episodes? And what would be so bad about Sheryl ending up with Michael anyway, aside from the fact that she wants to be with Alto right now?
It's fine, but only so long as it gets developed, first. Why root for a pairing before the characters themselves want it? Lulz aside, of course.
Old 2008-07-04, 17:40   Link #772
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
I don't know... all we know about his mom is that he likes throwing paper airplanes when she's around.

I haven't figured out what to do with Klan yet. Maybe she can eat the pineapple salad, thus opening things up for MichaelXSheryl... atlhough I really like Klan. Regardless, my point wasn't that it's logical, or likely, my point was that it's possible, at least from Michael's attitude towards Sheryl. And if nothing else, he seems to be able to understand her more than anyone so far in the series.

That's just silly. I mean, if anything, Bobby and Leon will hit it off when they find out they go to the same hairstylist.
Bobby and Leon have as much chance of hitting it off romantically, as Michael and Sheryl.

To suggest them as a possible pairing by you, is really silly. Do you remember episode 8, when Sheryl told Michael she didn't like easy men?

She shot him down faster than Ranka could cry for help from Alto.
Old 2008-07-04, 18:30   Link #773
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
It's fine, but only so long as it gets developed, first. Why root for a pairing before the characters themselves want it? Lulz aside, of course.
Oh, I'm all about the lulz

But in all seriousness, I do really kind of relate to Michael's personality, which is why I think there may be a spark of real feeling towards Sheryl there, as well as decided to start shipping it.

I never said Sheryl reciprocated... all I'm saying, is to entertain the possibility.

btw, Alto's death wishes for his father aside, I'm sure you get the gist of what I was implying when I said oedipal...
Old 2008-07-04, 18:34   Link #774
Terra

I could see Micheal x Sheryl working. Yes when it comes to who Alto should end up with out of Sheryl/Ranka, I'm all for Sheryl. But I could see Micheal and Sheryl working together so long as he dropped the flirt act (and I do see it as an act. No way I'd like his character so much if that's what he really was. I find it amusing that I consider Micheal more of an actor round everyone else than Alto).
Old 2008-07-04, 19:06   Link #775
Westlo
Lets be reality

Will Ranka join the Guld club? If so lets hope Alto does a Myung and at least admits that it's Sheryl he loves more first...

Quote:
This behavior of hers definitely is giving her character some justice. From what I see, there are no pitiful "underdog" in this episode.
I don't think anyone expected Sheryl to be a "pitiful" underdog ala Ranka, but considering that Alto and Ranka look like they're about to get into a relationship how can Sheryl not be the underdog at this stage? Unless you consider Alto and Ranka's relationship to be the red herring which would mean a Sheryl ending than... and it's obvious you don't think this way.

Quote:
*sigh*

To paraphrase

Michael - Alto must have been hit by the pulse and is down somewhere
Sheryl - I'm not sick anymore and I'm going to look for them, I don't need you since I can fly by myself
Michael - Aren't you a good women (in regards to Alto)
Sheryl - *blush*

I mean geez he even mentions Alto and his difficult women right after that...

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-07-04 at 19:29.
Old 2008-07-04, 19:14   Link #776
Wesley84

Quote:
It would also need to happen when Alto is very young, at that. His 'mother' probably wouldn't be much older than two at the time.
If I recall correctly, Ozma would have to be driven mad and later be killed at some kind of sporting event by Alto. Possibly by crashing his VF-25 into the specators.
Old 2008-07-04, 19:28   Link #777
zalem

Sheryl isn't a pitiful underdog. She does the underdog role with style and grace.

This is Macross, anyone stating that the triangle is over and declaring a winner at this point is just being plain silly.
Old 2008-07-04, 19:47   Link #778
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Just remember, Misa pulled a super duper uber finish in the last episode of the original. That is all.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-04, 20:02   Link #779
SymphonicRain

Just rewatched the last few episodes of Macross.

I find it amusing with Misa's way of expressing jealousy when she found out the photo album, leaving Hikaru's home with Minmay's life size posture turned upside down. Not long after, she 'forcefully' gives Hikaru an envelope full of her own photos to counter her jealousy towards Minmay.

Of course, as usual Hikaru is confused with the photo gesture by Misa :P

For some reason, these two scenes itself gives me an impression that Sheryl has the same temper as Misa's; exactly along the lines of what Sheryl may had done to express herself in similar circumstances. ^^;
Old 2008-07-04, 20:08   Link #780
Westlo
Lets be reality

Haha yeah I loved those two scenes.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance