AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-27, 10:04   Link #921
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
there needs to be more male influence in Kyon's life.
I don't know about you, but I think Kyon is fine exactly as he is. I don't want him to be "influenced" by any guy. That would require him to change, and I wouldn't like that.
Old 2009-10-27, 10:46   Link #922
Tabasco

I don't think he'd change as a character really if there were more men around, but I do think that given that he actively pushes away anyone who might interfere in his 'harem' I doubt he'd accept a new male member.

Whether the decision would ultimately be up to him is another story, of course.
Old 2009-10-27, 11:20   Link #923
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
"The SOS Brigade is not, and never will be, a harem!"
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-27, 14:01   Link #924
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sounds more like "perfect girl is on the pillar....no one may have her" territory.

As for Book 10...this being Haruhi...and involving a slider...I'd expect path A and path B Kyon's to switch at some point.
Old 2009-10-27, 14:16   Link #925
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
About Slider-tan: Seriously, another girl? "I just wanted to hear sempai's voice..." I was hoping there'd be at least one member of the SOS Brigade that wasn't romantically interested in Kyon. And with the introduction of Tachibana, Sasaki, and Kuyoh... there are just too many females in this story, there needs to be more male influence in Kyon's life. Either that, or start giving poor Kunikida more page-time.
I don't think that Kyon needs more male influence in his life, per se.

But what I think that he could benefit from is serious competition for Haruhi, Yuki, and/or Mikuru.

Right now, Kyon has his pick (romantically) of several different females, including Haruhi, and no serious competition for either of them. This creates a certain degree of passivity on Kyon's part as it pertains to his relationships with the female SOS Brigade members. If you're close friends with three attractive girls your age, and neither of them have boyfriends or even potential boyfriends (other than you)... it's certainly quite a promising situation which allows you to take your time...

A male slider that joins the SOS Brigade, and begins to become popular with one or more of the female SOS Brigade members... that would have been a very welcomed relationship dynamic shift, imo. Something to force Kyon to really re-evaluate his relationships with each of the female SOS Brigade members... and, frankly, to finally get off his butt, and start making some real decisions there.

Novel after novel after novel it's...

1) Constantly lust over Mikuru but not actually act on that lust.

2) Be very attentive towards Nagato but not do anything more than that.

3) Have a status quo hot/cold close friendship with Haruhi, but not move beyond that.

Kyon is becoming a lot like a harem anime lead in that he refuses to even consider making a real choice out of his romantic options. And honestly... this is becoming a bit tiresome for me.

A male slider that starts to compete with him for one or more of the SOS Brigade girls... could have been good to see. Too bad it didn't happen.

This is why I was disappointed that Nagakawa never had a more lasting impact...
Old 2009-10-27, 14:36   Link #926
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It could that be during the times when Kyon might think of romantic thoughts he gets caught up in another weird situation. Though we've yet to see what he does for White Day, since he and Itsuki got chocolates from all three of the girls, and Haruhi is such a traditionalist when it comes to holidays.
Old 2009-10-27, 15:06   Link #927
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
there are just too many females in this story
Anime.

I will point out that Kyon is still the central character and Koizumi still has a tendency to get more lines than anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kyon is becoming a lot like a harem anime lead in that he refuses to even consider making a real choice out of his romantic options. And honestly... this is becoming a bit tiresome for me.
Both Tsuruya and Koizumi have pretty much pointed this out, though.

Tsuruya in a very clever way... read Vol. 7...
Old 2009-10-27, 20:45   Link #928
dnab
anime berkeley

Disclosure: I'm a Yuki-shipper and proud. Speaking of shipping, Nagato was one of the most powerful battleship of Japan in WW2, and had actually survived the war but not the American nuke tests.

Even though Mikuru gets most of Kyon's eyeballs, most people would agree that Haruhi as well as Yuki don't think of her as a serious threat, unless Kyon does something clandestine with her. Case in point, after the Enclosed Space Episode Haruhi has become much more forgiving to Kyon and Mikuru's interactions, in public. It is Mikuru's purpose (to look like a playmate), afterall. But if the two should go on a secret mission undisclosed date, even Yuki's gaze can turn liquid helium. As dud as Kyon realizes he has no future (no pun) with Mikuru, plus the fact that he's already seen Big Mikuru precludes any chance of Small Mikuru of staying, barring major plot twists.

Yuki, on the other hand, is the other legitimate contender (Haruhi being the default). We know Kyon's going to make a pretty important choice and in Yuki's words she's part of the "recital" (the translation for recital implies musical, but original text can also mean "announcement"). Kyon is in awe of her, in text and in voice acting, and that is to Yuki's chagrin. Where she wants his trust, he still sees her as one of them three's. In fact even Mikuru perceives, and which Yuki denies but agrees would also think if she's in Mikuru's position, that Yuki might be troubled if not jealous of Mikuru's vulnerability as something that attracts Kyon. There is something unworldly and unfemininely mighty about Yuki's abilities. So let's count the stack against a KyonYuki ship:

1) emotional deficiency
2) unworldly power
3) Kyon's mental blind spot
4) Haruhi

Who wouldn't pull for the underdog?

For those concerned about too many romantic distractions for Kyon, I'm sure the true purpose of SOS is to rid the competitions like the lead bikers shedding the peloton, for which the mascot actually becomes an asset. See you at the sprint.
Old 2009-10-27, 20:49   Link #929
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I couldn't understand what you were saying at all...It may be because I'm not smart.
Old 2009-10-27, 23:49   Link #930
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
Yuki, on the other hand, is the other legitimate contender (Haruhi being the default). We know Kyon's going to make a pretty important choice and in Yuki's words she's part of the "recital"
Yeah, the guy in that creepy story is not Kyon. When was he ever established as "the smiling man"? He only really smiles like, three times in the whole series... That's clearly Koizumi's description and role.

And although the ghost girl might be Haruhi, it might just as well be Mikuru... things Fujiwara says about names in Vol. 9 implies that they might as well not have, or need, names in the future, which fits with Mikuru being a "ghost"... Haruhi, however, doesn't fit that label at all.

...This would imply that, if the events depicted in that story actually happened in some way, that Nagato and Mikuru have met before Melancholy...and I just checked it, out of curiosity.

Immediately upon noticing her, Mikuru seems to know exactly what Nagato is. Moreover, although they are never formally introduced, and it's never suggested in the text that they are, Mikuru knows Nagato's name.

Interesting, no?
Old 2009-10-28, 01:00   Link #931
TakariCritic

Didn't we already delve into analysis of Yuki's fantasy horror poem?
Old 2009-10-28, 12:11   Link #932
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Immediately upon noticing her, Mikuru seems to know exactly what Nagato is. Moreover, although they are never formally introduced, and it's never suggested in the text that they are, Mikuru knows Nagato's name.

Interesting, no?
Actually, not really. There are any number of reasons why Mikuru would already know about Yuki, primarily that the "Future Men" know about the existence of the Humanoid Interfaces. As little as they briefed Mikuru on other things to expect (and for good reason), I fully expect that the last thing they told her right before her trip to the past was "Okay, before you go, we have established that these three girls are Humanoid Interfaces of the Data Overmind. They aren't antagonistic, but please try to avoid them anyway, as they can wipe you, and by extension us, out of existence with a thought... Have a nice trip!"
Old 2009-10-28, 13:15   Link #933
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Actually, not really. There are any number of reasons why Mikuru would already know about Yuki, primarily that the "Future Men" know about the existence of the Humanoid Interfaces. As little as they briefed Mikuru on other things to expect (and for good reason), I fully expect that the last thing they told her right before her trip to the past was "Okay, before you go, we have established that these three girls are Humanoid Interfaces of the Data Overmind. They aren't antagonistic, but please try to avoid them anyway, as they can wipe you, and by extension us, out of existence with a thought... Have a nice trip!"
Three? Yuki refers to a lot more than that.

Although your explanation is the easy one, Tanigawa has been known to look back through stories he's already written for new plot threads to use... I'm not saying he was planning it from the beginning, but I will say that it's certainly a possibility that Mikuru and Yuki have met before.
Old 2009-10-28, 14:53   Link #934
dnab
anime berkeley

Ah, the prophecies. No good fantasy novel should do without some. But instead of Wheel of Time-ish in your face “here comes some more prophecies, follow the signs and head towards the neon that says Prophecies R Us,” the ones in Haruhi novels are quite subtle, blink and you’d miss type. And since prophecies are meant as foreshadows without being spoilers, they are suppose to be vague and open to multiple interpretations. Otherwise where’s the fun in that? So with a big YMMV sign blinking, here’s my take on the much discussed Yuki’s novelette. It is developed and rationalized solely by what this reader perceives as would make the Haruhi story the most interesting. (i.e. may not be the actual author’s intention, but reverse engineering is of functional, not constituent, replication).

[Untitled 1]

Ghost = a data element. Literal meaning of Integrated Data Entity seems to infer one intelligence as an assembly of individual data elements (such as pre-interface forms of Nagato, Asakura, and Kimidori.) vaguely like neurons to a brain; aka swarm intelligence. Factions could be different swarms or subsets/personalities of the same swarm, but that’s besides the point.

Girl. Some other boards speculates Asakura. I’m more inclined to think, and in minority but not alone, it’s the post evolution Nagato synching with her past (yes I do recall her turning that ability off, but causalities be damned). Xxxx = evolution/humanification.

Snow flakes. Visualization of data elements once Yuki became an interface, and as such she named herself. (quite poetic, me think)

[Untitled 2]

Kind of reinforced the above assumptions. There’s this one data element, itself a curious kind, asked to observe, interact[?], and evolve. It’s like getting promoted from a grind to a dream job.

Tiny Wonders (should be translated to Small Miracles): can she find humanity, friendship, love? Note she was not given synthesized personalities like the others, but a clean slate to become on her own.

(You are a true Yuki-shipper if you buy into this so far. Don’t blame you if you’re not and think this is total crap. YMMV sign flashes again)

[Untitled 3]

Coffin = mortality = humanity. Blocked because Yuki needs to pass the humanity test (recital), be that Kyon’s choosing of her over Haruhi, or Yuki’s ability to profess regardless of Kyon’s choice, or whatever twists yet inked by the author. In fact since she does not know the course of her future, she may not even return to the Integrated Data Entity altogether, in spite of the initial mission assumptions. Quite ironic that the most influential anime in 90’s, Evangelion, you have individual elements busting their asses trying to evolve into one entity, and a decade later it’s the exact reverse. Now will the integrated conscience of the Japanese Otakus please make up its effing mind?

Smiling man = Kyon. This is what will draw most flaks. Kyon doesn’t smile much but he does smile to Yuki during their non-business conversations. And it happens enough in anime (which I consider canon) to distinguish Kyon as someone who knows who she is, but is still able to reach out to her in almost human terms. Assigning smiling man to Koizumi here, OTOH, is too obvious as borderline red herring.

Clothed girl = Haruhi. Same amount of flaks as above, so wtf. There’s just 5 members in SOS, and excluding Yuki that leaves just 2 plausible male/female combos. The girl would not necessarily represent ghost as much as someone who shields her true looks/feelings, which isn’t inconsistent with a tsundere.

Ok, that’s enuf flak for one day.
Old 2009-10-28, 18:23   Link #935
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
[Untitled 3]

Coffin = mortality = humanity. Blocked because Yuki needs to pass the humanity test (recital), be that Kyon’s choosing of her over Haruhi, or Yuki’s ability to profess regardless of Kyon’s choice, or whatever twists yet inked by the author. In fact since she does not know the course of her future, she may not even return to the Integrated Data Entity altogether, in spite of the initial mission assumptions. Quite ironic that the most influential anime in 90’s, Evangelion, you have individual elements busting their asses trying to evolve into one entity, and a decade later it’s the exact reverse. Now will the integrated conscience of the Japanese Otakus please make up its effing mind?

Smiling man = Kyon. This is what will draw most flaks. Kyon doesn’t smile much but he does smile to Yuki during their non-business conversations. And it happens enough in anime (which I consider canon) to distinguish Kyon as someone who knows who she is, but is still able to reach out to her in almost human terms. Assigning smiling man to Koizumi here, OTOH, is too obvious as borderline red herring.

Clothed girl = Haruhi. Same amount of flaks as above, so wtf. There’s just 5 members in SOS, and excluding Yuki that leaves just 2 plausible male/female combos. The girl would not necessarily represent ghost as much as someone who shields her true looks/feelings, which isn’t inconsistent with a tsundere.
I agreed to you until this point. Your assesment of the coffin is pretty decent, I take it similar. After all, a coffin also represents the end of a journy, and thus it is Yuki's goal to be able to end hers.

I don't beleive the smiling man represents Kyon, but rather what Kyon himself represents to her: The final say in her attempts to become human. After all, it is the smiling man who is preventing Yuki from entering the coffin, and thus her performance must satisfy him in order to let her past.

The dancing girl, I feel, is both Mikuru and Haruhi. Here we actually get a glimpse of Yuki's envy, as this beautiful girl is performing beautifully, and has the smiling man's attention. To me, it seems like Yuki wants to be like her, able to "dance", perform so well, and have the attention of the man. It reminds me of Novel 7, when Mikuru tells Kyon she thinks Yuki is jealous of her. If you choose to interpret the work like I do, it seems quite likely Yuki does.
Old 2009-10-29, 16:35   Link #936
Triple_R
*Author

I recently finished Snow Mountain Syndrome. As such, I thought it might be a good idea to share my initial impressions of this story with my fellow Haruhi fans here.

Spoiler space proceeding, mainly to save space...

Spoiler for Snow Mountain Syndrome thoughts:

Well, that's it. Hope my review wasn't too incoherent.

I look forward to any and all replies.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-29 at 17:22.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:15   Link #937
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Either Haruhi is more than a bit gullible, or Koizumi is such a great BSer that he should run for Prime Minister of Japan upon graduating from North High.
Maybe he Geassed Haruhi really quickly?

Well, that's the first thing that came to mind while reading that bit. Speaking of which, the first thing that came to mind while I was reading SMS myself was "Sounds like that one episode of Voyager..." when Itsuki told Kyon about one of his theories.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:27   Link #938
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Maybe he Geassed Haruhi really quickly?
Hhhmmmm... that would also serve to explain why Itsuki often seems shady to me...

Sounds like a great theory to me, Joe4evr!

Quote:

Well, that's the first thing that came to mind while reading that bit. Speaking of which, the first thing that came to mind while I was reading SMS myself was "Sounds like that one episode of Voyager..." when Itsuki told Kyon about one of his theories.
The sci-fi elements of this chapter really were on Star Trek level. Itsuki's theories were very creative and eloquently stated.
Old 2009-10-29, 18:28   Link #939
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
I recently finished Snow Mountain Syndrome. As such, I thought it might be a good idea to share my initial impressions of this story with my fellow Haruhi fans here.
Nice review. Please, continue posting them, beside they being good, the bring up more subject to discuss, specially some that wouldn't appear otherwise.

Quote:
Spoiler for Triple's Snow Mountain Syndrome thoughts:
Wow, people really like to talk about their favorite character eh? I am guilty of this ass well.

Anyway, Haruhi wouldn't ever be called Yamado Nadeshico. Only know how too cook is not enough. Mikuru, and even Nagato are closer to the archetype.

Quote:
If you say so. In times like this I curse my poor english skils, I am just not good enough to pick these subtle things.

Quote:
Thanks for that. You see, this is one of the storys after Disappearance that are focused on Nagato. As you can see, it don't focus that much. She steal much less spot light then people say. I agree she is more like a second female protagonist, being, now, more important then Mikuru and Itsuki, but she is still under Haruhi.

Quote:
I remember laugting a lot on this part. I mean, diagrams is so out of place it is fuuny. I liked it a lot too.

Quote:

Yup she does. This becomes a plot point latter, you know. Thinking now, this might have stabilished Yuki as the "weaker member" in Haruhi's mind, having "family problems" and "falling sick all sudden". This protectiveness was not "sudden". (did you heard, Kaisos? )

Quote:
Now you are exagerating. Anyway, Yuki don't demonstrate nothing for Haruhi. It would be kinda one-sided.

Haruhi bought Itsuki's rather hard to swallow shared hallucination explanation a bit too easily, I think. Either Haruhi is more than a bit gullible, or Koizumi is such a great BSer that he should run for Prime Minister of Japan upon graduating from North High. Still, I'm willing to buy this insofar as situations like it doesn't happen much more. Haruhi's overall degree of obliviousness is starting to risk breaking my suspension of disbelief. I hope that this isn't stretched to a point where it's simply not credible any more.[/spoiler][/quote]

I agree with you. This was, so far, the most absurd explanation Haruhi bought. Wondering Shadow comes somewhat close, tough.

Quote:
I agree. (I bet you wasn't expecting this from me. ) I would like to point both Day of Sagitarius and Endless Eight are just as big, but fit well in one episode (you know what I mean about EE. it was 8, sure, but the last one could have been the only one). However, this chapter is a parallel to Lone Island (I even consider, while reading, that al could be another Itsuki plan) so I would say one "filler-like" episode with they enjoying the mountain and another for the mansion.

PP:
By the way, are you reading the books in chronological order? This is Vol.5 while Charmed was Vol.6
Old 2009-10-29, 20:10   Link #940
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Nice review. Please, continue posting them, beside they being good, the bring up more subject to discuss, specially some that wouldn't appear otherwise.
Thanks a lot, Heatth. I appreciated the vote of encouragement.

Quote:
Wow, people really like to talk about their favorite character eh?
Well... that's a lot of it, admittedly, but I'm also genuinely surprised by how much character development Haruhi is undergoing. She's becoming a surprisingly well-rounded character for me.

Quote:
Anyway, Haruhi wouldn't ever be called Yamado Nadeshico. Only know how too cook is not enough. Mikuru, and even Nagato are closer to the archetype.
I know. I'm just amazed to see even a sliver of Yamato Nadeshiko in Haruhi. But it's only a small sliver of course... maybe 2% of her character.

Quote:
If you say so. In times like this I curse my poor english skils, I am just not good enough to pick these subtle things.
Well, this is just my take on things. Some folks might prefer there to be more fine detail in physical and setting descriptions.

Quote:
Thanks for that. You see, this is one of the storys after Disappearance that are focused on Nagato. As you can see, it don't focus that much. She steal much less spot light then people say. I agree she is more like a second female protagonist, being, now, more important then Mikuru and Itsuki, but she is still under Haruhi.
I'd probably agree with that.

Quote:
I remember laugting a lot on this part. I mean, diagrams is so out of place it is fuuny. I liked it a lot too.
Tanigawa certainly has his own distinctive style as a professional writer.

Quote:
Yup she does. This becomes a plot point latter, you know. Thinking now, this might have stabilished Yuki as the "weaker member" in Haruhi's mind, having "family problems" and "falling sick all sudden". This protectiveness was not "sudden". (did you heard, Kaisos? )
LOL.

Yeah, I agree with you. I have to say... it's delicious irony for Haruhi to (understandably) consider Yuki the "weaker member".

Quote:
Now you are exagerating. Anyway, Yuki don't demonstrate nothing for Haruhi. It would be kinda one-sided.
I was joking, mostly.

Still... if Haruhi was a guy doing that for Yuki, it would probably be considered the heights of gallant romance.

Quote:

I agree with you. This was, so far, the most absurd explanation Haruhi bought. Wondering Shadow comes somewhat close, tough.
... Now I'm looking forward to Wandering Shadow.

Quote:
I agree. (I bet you wasn't expecting this from me. )
You actually made me do a double-take, lol.

Quote:
However, this chapter is a parallel to Lone Island (I even consider, while reading, that al could be another Itsuki plan) so I would say one "filler-like" episode with they enjoying the mountain and another for the mansion.
My thoughts exactly. I'd use the onset of the snowstorm as the cliffhanger moment separating the two episodes apart from one another.

I have to say - after reading LOVER and SMS, I'm really eager to see more animated Haruhi after the Disappearance movie. I hope that we don't have to wait too long for it...

Quote:
PP:
By the way, are you reading the books in chronological order? This is Vol.5 while Charmed was Vol.6
Kogetsu provided me with a link to the actual chronological order of the stories, and I've chosen to read them that way. Alas, I've lost that link, but I recalled that SMS came after LOVER. If anybody as a link to the chronological order, I'd greatly appreciate it!