AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Old 2014-09-30, 23:16   Link #21
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Ah yes, I forgot to talk about Natsuki.

The moment of her entry also serves as a character-establishing moment. She is obviously being setup as a capable loner with social issues

She looks great all around though. Of all the HiME present, she is most healthy & athletically built, which Shizuru would later comment as having a 'model-like' physique.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2014-10-01 at 14:54.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 16:27   Link #22
kitten320

Was meaning to re-watch Mai HiME for 5th time anyway so why not

And while it's old, animation was the first thing that attracted me to the show back in the days. Then I kinda spoiled myself with some spoilers and had to watch whole thing after. No regrets. Still love it despite the problems
Old 2014-10-02, 01:22   Link #23
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I really need to watch this as well. I keep meaning to do so...

ANyway for Tate... well, to be honest, I'd find it pretty hard not to gawk myself. For a 15-year old, Mai has a pretty impressive rack. Though I'd like to think I'd be more discrete about it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 10:23   Link #24
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Sadly, in such situations it's impossible to gawk discretely. About the best you could hope for is being more suave about it.
Old 2014-10-02, 12:13   Link #25
Tak

Always follow up a harassment with a compliment.

Which might or might not make a situation worse, but at least it'd be memorable!!

And whats up with this lack of Natsuki love!?

- Tak (I was really trying to read what was on your T-shirt, seriously!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2014-10-02, 12:50   Link #26
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Spoiler for No Need to Read:

Last edited by Tempest35; 2014-10-02 at 16:14.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 13:31   Link #27
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
But I think I'm relatively safe this time around, they aren't as rabid as they once were. Holy hell, those were some crazy days...
I quite frankly don't get the arguement/debate about SN's relationship. What is there to argue about?

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2014-10-02 at 13:54.
Old 2014-10-02, 14:21   Link #28
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Spoiler for No need to read:

Last edited by Tempest35; 2014-10-02 at 16:14.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 14:41   Link #29
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And whats up with this lack of Natsuki love!?
Compared to Mai, this episode doesn't reveal all that much about Natsuki. She and Mikoto get more screentime next episode so it might make sense to discuss them more there.

Speaking of which, I want to remind everyone to use spoiler tags if you're discussing anything that relates to future episodes. I'll cut you guys some slack when it comes to revealing Natsuki and Mikoto's names (they're obviously main characters and the newcomers will find out their names next episode anyway) but please be a little more careful in the future please.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I really need to watch this as well. I keep meaning to do so...

ANyway for Tate... well, to be honest, I'd find it pretty hard not to gawk myself. For a 15-year old, Mai has a pretty impressive rack. Though I'd like to think I'd be more discrete about it.
Given how mature she is for her age (mentally as well as physically) its easy to forget how young Mai is. I'm wondering if they made her a first year high schooler (as opposed to the typical second year) because they wanted her to be a newcomer at her school. While there are certainly cases of students switching between different high schools my understanding is that the Japanese generally prefer them to remain at the same school for all three years.

I also noticed that Takumi is in his first year of middle school, so presumably he's only about twelve.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2014-10-03 at 22:52.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 23:01   Link #30
Tak

Episode 2, peaceful school life begins

Spoiler for Initial thoughts:

- Tak

Old 2014-10-07, 00:00   Link #31
Darthtabby

Tak, you're just a little ahead of schedule this week. Oh well, at least you're eager...

Episode 2: "After School Secrets"

Once again I'm going to start off by sharing a quote from the director's interview with Wizard magazine:

Quote:
There are obviously a lot of characters in the show, and this is where we started introducing them all. At the same time, we see Mai coming to a new school, so it was important to bring about the feelings of uncertainty around her, which are pretty much universal.
In this episode we also learn more about the two girls who were fighting on the ferry and see Mai's powers awaken as she takes action to protect her brother.

One part of this episode I particularly like is the bit in the forest where Nagi hints that something bad might happen, then tosses Mai the container her brother uses to carry his medications and tells her "You in particular might want to get a move on." It just has such nasty implications.

I also really like the use of color in the forest scenes. There are times where the art in this series looks pretty so-so but there are also times when it looks really gorgeous.

As far as the new characters go, I'm rather fond of Chie and Aoi. Those two are a lot of fun.

Anyhow, time to hand the discussion over to the rest of you. Feel free to build on what I'm saying or bring up your own points you wish to discuss.
Old 2014-10-07, 00:35   Link #32
Tak

Yep, late Monday night for me bud. Thats the schedule I can abide by

- Tak

Old 2014-10-07, 15:15   Link #33
Darthtabby

BTW Tak, the board has an "Images" tag for hiding sets of images. It might be a better choice than the spoiler tag since we're also using the spoiler tag for actual spoilers. I've editted the quoted bits below to use the tag.

Quote:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Proto-Nina's name is actually Chun Mei. Also her eyes are green, not amber like Nina's.

Quote:
Images
Okay, I'm curious -what's so special about how Mai wrote her name? I'm aware that the character for her given name can be translated as "dance" or "dancing" but I know nothing about the characters used in her surname.

Quote:
Images
With this series now being a decade old its interesting to take a look at the technology the characters use. There's almost no use of computers by students aside from a couple student council members who have laptops and wireless internet, but cell phones with texting and camera capabilities appear to be commonplace. I suspect the phones are a decent reflection of what was common in Japan at the time, but I wonder at the relative lack of PCs.
Old 2014-10-07, 16:20   Link #34
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Flip phones!!! They even included the grainy look of low pixel count in it - awesome attention to detail.

Also, Chun Mei actually looks quite stunning ...
Old 2014-10-07, 16:24   Link #35
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
BTW Tak, the board has an "Images" tag for hiding sets of images. It might be a better choice than the spoiler tag since we're also using the spoiler tag for actual spoilers. I've editted the quoted bits below to use the tag.
Thats fine and dandy, except I don't see the tag you are talking about on my interface. Its not there for me.

And using spoilers for images had always been the way I do it.

Quote:
Proto-Nina's name is actually Chun Mei. Also her eyes are green, not amber like Nina's.
Oh trust me, when it comes to HiME and Otome trivia, I know all about it

Quote:
Okay, I'm curious -what's so special about how Mai wrote her name? I'm aware that the character for her given name can be translated as "dance" or "dancing" but I know nothing about the characters used in her surname.
Tokiha means Feather of the Crested Ibis. Its a very rare bird that exist in East Asia and obviously themed naming, since it fits her power, Kagutsuchi.

- Tak

Old 2014-10-07, 16:29   Link #36
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Thats fine and dandy, except I don't see the tag you are talking about on my interface. Its not there for me.

And using spoilers for images had always been the way I do it.
To use the images tags you have to type them yourself.
{images} {/images} replace the curly brackets in to square brackets to make them work.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 16:56   Link #37
Tak

Hmm

Images

OOOH!!!

Quote:
With this series now being a decade old its interesting to take a look at the technology the characters use. There's almost no use of computers by students aside from a couple student council members who have laptops and wireless internet, but cell phones with texting and camera capabilities appear to be commonplace. I suspect the phones are a decent reflection of what was common in Japan at the time, but I wonder at the relative lack of PCs.
Actually there was a scene or two where Natsuki or Shizuru was hammering a notebook.

- Tak

Old 2014-10-07, 17:42   Link #38
Darthtabby

I know, that's why I mentioned that a couple of the student council members seem to have laptops with wireless internet.

Quote:
Tokiha means Feather of the Crested Ibis. Its a very rare bird that exist in East Asia and obviously themed naming, since it fits her power, Kagutsuchi.
So Mai's full name translates as "Dancing Feather of the Crested Ibis"? That sounds like a rather chuunibyou name. Kind of ironic considering that she just wants to be a normal high school student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Also, Chun Mei actually looks quite stunning ...
Here, have some fanart.
Images

Funny thing is, if the Mai Otome bluray special that features the HiME verse versions of the Otome leads is to be believed, she has a cat named Nina.
Old 2014-10-07, 18:15   Link #39
Tak

Quote:
So Mai's full name translates as "Dancing Feather of the Crested Ibis"? That sounds like a rather chuunibyou name. Kind of ironic considering that she just wants to be a normal high school student.
Her full name translated literally means:

Ready?

Dancing Garment of the Feather of the Crested Ibis

Yeah... not your standard Tanaka Taro.

- Tak

Old 2014-10-07, 21:23   Link #40
Darthtabby

Wow. Hopefully that comes across as less Chuuni to Japanese viewers than it does to me.

Does her given name refer to a garment for dancing then? Or is it something about the way her surname and her given name connect that bring the "garment" part into the equation?