AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-11-23, 04:56   Link #1
Shikijin

Nobunaga the Fool [Light Novel]

So, how is the translation going?

The second part of the introductory novel's second chapter has been posted.
Spoiler for King of Swords:

I also note a tagline on the official site: "O love, destroy the world". Was it already there or is it new? Anyway, it sounds terrific.

By the way, I realized I think I already know which tarot is going to symbolize Nobunaga
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 04:56   Link #2
LKK

Nobunaga the Fool [Light Novel]

This thread is to discussion the introductory novel for the Nobunaga the Fool project.

Official web site for the novel (in Japanese): http://the-fool-project.jp/world/novel.html

Last edited by NightWish; 2013-11-24 at 18:07.
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 09:25   Link #3
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

The translation is going quite well. Except... How would you translate 救星王? I went with 'Redeeming Star King' for the moment. ANN chose 'Star Messiah' or something like that. Also, 'Star' could even be 'Planet', which would make sense considering the context...

In any case, here's the translation of chapter 1. Hopefully it's passable. I aim to have the full chapter two out before the next update happens.
Nobunaga the Fool Minor Arcane Novel
Chapter 1: Ace of Wand ~first part~
http://pastebin.com/NDsQHVUU

Chapter 1: Ace of Wand ~latter part~
http://pastebin.com/izv1cU7U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I also note a tagline on the official site: "O love, destroy the world". Was it already there or is it new? Anyway, it sounds terrific.
That tagline was there when I first looked at the website... about one week ago.

Quote:
By the way, I realized I think I already know which tarot is going to symbolize Nobunaga
Don't tell me it isn't the Fool...
MidnightReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 12:19   Link #4
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
The translation is going quite well. Except... How would you translate 救星王? I went with 'Redeeming Star King' for the moment. ANN chose 'Star Messiah' or something like that. Also, 'Star' could even be 'Planet', which would make sense considering the context...
星 is definitively "planet". In fact, I think in many other works by Kawamori the word for planet is always "hoshi". The thing is, 救星 has the same pronunciation as 救世, as in 救世主, so Star Messiah makes some sense. More literally, I guess it would be Planet Savior King.

And I think it's Dragon Vein instead of Pulse. It probably means those white lines over the planet in the pictures we've seen. I think it refers to the concept of Ley Lines, which are also called Dragon Lines.
Quote:
In any case, here's the translation of chapter 1. Hopefully it's passable.
I found some questionable points. This was my short attempt at translation for reference: http://pastebin.com/96jZNtju
Quote:
Don't tell me it isn't the Fool...
And I woulnd't be surprised if Jeanne's tarot was the Tower
Old 2013-11-23, 15:17   Link #5
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Quote:
星 is definitively "planet". In fact, I think in many other works by Kawamori the word for planet is always "hoshi". The thing is, 救星 has the same pronunciation as 救世, as in 救世主, so Star Messiah makes some sense. More literally, I guess it would be Planet Savior King.

And I think it's Dragon Vein instead of Pulse. It probably means those white lines over the planet in the pictures we've seen. I think it refers to the concept of Ley Lines, which are also called Dragon Lines.
Also, 主 doesn't have to mean king in the context of the Eastern Planet, like it does with King Arthur as the supposed 救世主 of the Western Planet (?). So Planet Savior, maybe.

I was thinking about Dragon Streams, but if it's like that Vein is indeed a better choice.

Quote:
I found some questionable points. This was my short attempt at translation for reference: http://pastebin.com/96jZNtju
Thanks for sharing! I corrected quite a lot. If there are any more questionable parts, I'll be glad to hear about them... It's good to have a second eye.
Old 2013-11-23, 16:53   Link #6
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
Also, 主 doesn't have to mean king in the context of the Eastern Planet, like it does with King Arthur as the supposed 救世主 of the Western Planet (?). So Planet Savior, maybe.
The last kanji is the one where the two words differ the most. It's 救星王 vs 救世主. The kanji used in NtF means king. Anyway, I guess one doesn't have to literally be a king, just being a ruler of people should suffice in this case.
Quote:
I was thinking about Dragon Streams, but if it's like that Vein is indeed a better choice.
Even Dragon Streams sounds good. It is probably fitting enough, as it seems people use them to go from a planet to the other.
Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I corrected quite a lot. If there are any more questionable parts, I'll be glad to hear about them... It's good to have a second eye.
You didn't have to overwrite your version with my version it was not the same, that was what I translated before you volunteered. I am not an English mother tongue, so if possible I'd like another one to do it.

Anyway, from what I saw before the structure of Japanese sub-clauses was a bit tricky in some points, once you get the knack of it you are ok. I'll tell you more tomorrow.
Old 2013-11-23, 17:30   Link #7
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Quote:
You didn't have to overwrite your version with my version it was not the same, that was what I translated before you volunteered. I am not an English mother tongue, so if possible I'd like another one to do it.

Anyway, from what I saw before the structure of Japanese sub-clauses was a bit tricky in some points, once you get the knack of it you are ok. I'll tell you more tomorrow.
Ah, I didn't overwrite everything. Some things just made more sense in yours, and I made some adjustments for better flow. I did have some more trouble with parts 1-3, than the rest of chapter 1. I don't know if it had anything to do with the original text, or that I was just trying to get into it. But yeah I agree with that, my native language isn't English either. Well it's closely related to it, but it's not enough to make it sound natural. BTW I think it's better to discuss these matters in PM...

EDIT: I'll be busy the upcoming few weeks, so no translations for now.

Last edited by MidnightReverie; 2013-12-03 at 15:11.
Old 2014-02-09, 16:56   Link #8
Avaricia
My Lord

Can someone spoil me Himiko's fate?
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 22:31   Link #9
dragon1412

this seem awfully similar to Horizon to me.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 16:01   Link #10
Shikijin

This novel was just an introduction set before the anime, Himiko is not even mentioned there. Those who watched the first stage exhibition may know more, as that possibly covers 1/3 of the series