Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-11, 08:33   Link #101
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No shit sherlock, who else would that be?
Oh, I don't know, the original Mega Man from the original Mega Man series, maybe? The original Mega Man doesn't fight reploids. X does.
Old 2010-05-11, 09:07   Link #102
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
^ He is right.
Old 2010-05-11, 12:05   Link #103
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

.... I'm not gonna say it twice....
Old 2010-05-11, 18:30   Link #104
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Don't feed the troll. The guy is a lunatic who always thinks he's right, and gains pleasure from trolling and putting down other people with his idiotic commentary.
He's an egotistical maniac who probably suffers from either psychopathy or a deep superiority complex, a homophobe and a misogynist--but pray tell me, how does that relate to what he wrote? Did you actually read the article or did you just read "Alex Kierkegaard" and stopped there?

I don't think you read it, otherwise you would have used a real argument to back your criticism.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 05:33   Link #105
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight
but pray tell me, how does that relate to what he wrote?
You must have missed the "idiotic commentary" part of my post. He's known for missing the point, and by linking his article you gave him credit.
Old 2010-05-12, 18:10   Link #106
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Ok, so what did he get wrong in that article? I'm all ears dawg.

Old 2010-05-12, 18:13   Link #107
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
.... I'm not gonna say it twice....
I'll say it twice then.

Kyero Fox is, for all intents and purposes, a fallout fanboy with a love of radiation and power armor. (If I'm not mistaken.)

What an individual plays it measured by their person, I'm usually indiscriminate to games until they contradict something I hold as an ideal, or are just plain stupid.

I think someone isn't a real video gamer if they haven't even played a Persona or Digital Devil game. Pray tell, does that make me wrong? No.

The industry of east and west games are independent, and should not be chosen simply by genre. In a particular sense both industries continue to struggle against one another as they scrape ideas wherever they can. It isn't that hard all the time, but it's getting there.

I have no idea what this is about anymore, so I'll drop it there with my defense of Kyero and what I think about East vs West... Just a race of ideas, basically.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 20:08   Link #108
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I was actually talkin about the Megaman and X thing.
Old 2010-05-13, 13:23   Link #109
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Just to set it straight... I only said Mega man because I wasn't going to assume others was gonna know who I was talking about when I just said "X".
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 14:18   Link #110
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

I found the Alex Kierkegaard article to be a good read.

Some of it is no longer accurate, thanks to a few improvements in modern JRPG systems, but I agree with him, in that JRPGs in general contain very little "Role-Playing".

The director is telling you a story, with characters that an enthusiastic player might view as friends, rather than placing themselves in the story as with older, classic Western RPGs.
Old 2010-05-13, 15:54   Link #111
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Guys, role play can both mean "play a role I create" as well as "play a role someone else created for me". Unless you are a genius scriptwriter, the average role a player will make for himself is "cool dude with super powers out to save the world". There will be nothing beyond that and the game won't care if exp is gained by killing monsters and not by how well you impersonate your role. So it is actually a challenge if you need to empathize someone else, get in his shoes and feel/act like him.

That is the difference between western and eastern role play games.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 16:20   Link #112
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Guys, role play can both mean "play a role I create" as well as "play a role someone else created for me". Unless you are a genius scriptwriter, the average role a player will make for himself is "cool dude with super powers out to save the world". There will be nothing beyond that and the game won't care if exp is gained by killing monsters and not by how well you impersonate your role. So it is actually a challenge if you need to empathize someone else, get in his shoes and feel/act like him.

That is the difference between western and eastern role play games.
er... no Role Playing means you're playing a role outside of yourself. There's some fun bedroom role-playing games if you're not aware of 'em.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 17:33   Link #113
roriconfan
Banned

Well, that's the thing. You can choose to play the doctor as the stereotypical doctor following a pattern, or as a controversial doctor.
Old 2010-05-14, 01:33   Link #114
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
. There's some fun bedroom role-playing games if you're not aware of 'em.
Well, speaking from personal experience, being hell-bent on playing a "cool d00d with cool powers that will save the world and have his own epic" won't get the p&p rper very far. More often than not, the player's own personality, the GM being often a egomaniac dick on a power trip (1) and the many failures of a dice roll turns the expected epic into a comedy that not even Slayers can dream of. And when we end up with epic stories like a LoTR wannabe (D&D), a JoJo-like epic spanning over generations (whatever game), a dark tale of immortals caught in a web of conspiracies (Vampire) or a long journey in the center of the madness (Kult and Call of Cthluh), it's either by accident or because the GM & his players decides to get serious and get their shit together instead of competing against each other.

Otoh, jrpgs won't be dictated by the personality of the player, or the whims of a Gamemaster, or bad luck. You are on a nice paved road. Nice only if the story and the characters are well-written. That's why I enjoyed Xenogears the most in the genre. Other than the blatant "railroading", it's actually what I think to be a lack of variety that makes me rather bitter about jRPGs. The genre have become synonymous with "generic fantasy with slices of sci-fi, and a cast of either generic anime stereotypes or emo teenagers in impossibly cool clothes pretentiously waxing highschool philosophical", with the occaional Persona and the rare Front Mission.

I mean, I would like to see the Japan's answer to System Shock, Fallout or Deus Ex.

(1) D&D4 actually recommending the beginner GM to play with the players and not against them was actually quite of a shock in the community, after 30 years of GMs being used to make players their bitches.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-05-14 at 01:44.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 03:26   Link #115
roriconfan
Banned

I have played DM too and saw the same things. If you let the players do their character too openly, you either get a clone of another character in some book or an excuse of a character all together. Not to mention those darn power players who were using the most weird combos of feats/classes templates just so they can do a devastating attack all the time. Not to mention that when I tried to not just have them meet in a tavern, they would get lost, and if I was telling them to not reveal their backdrop to others, there was no trust amongst them. So I gave up on playing self-made roles and switched to games where you play a prepared role.

In western rpgs, the only interactivity I found was mostly the appearance and stats your character has depending on his actions. That is statistically nice but does not make him more real than a cardboard. Eastern rpgs on the other hand have an unfolding story. You don't get all the picture right away and you see more aspects of a character as the game goes on. At some cases you even choose a path that affects the ending. That sure felt more interesting.
Old 2010-05-14, 05:12   Link #116
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I mean, I would like to see the Japan's answer to System Shock, Fallout or Deus Ex.
I would like to see America's answer to persona and Tales of.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 06:37   Link #117
roriconfan
Banned

^ Planescape Torment?
Old 2010-05-14, 07:04   Link #118
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Ok, so what did he get wrong in that article? I'm all ears dawg.
I think other posters are making a good case of what already.
Old 2010-05-14, 16:08   Link #119
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Did someone catch that bioware guy saying FFXIII wasn't an "rpg"?
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:18   Link #120
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I think other posters are making a good case of what already.
No, really, I would like to hear your opinion -- put your money where your mouth is. I haven't found any worthwhile criticism of the article, and I don't recall many people claiming it was "idiotic commentary".

Quote:
Did someone catch that bioware guy saying FFXIII wasn't an "rpg"?
Read the goddamn article. He explains what an RPG is and why the JRPG label is a misnomer.

Jesus christ people. At least STAND up for what your ideas are instead of dismissing criticism altogether. I'm not asking you to like the guy, or think he's the most awesome thing ever (I think he's quite insane to be honest), but damn.