AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-30, 15:36   Link #1
mitsuganae

Changes to Animax-Asia

As Animax-Asia viewers know, the channel will start showing Korean dramas etc. on prime time starting May 3. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is anime such a niche market that a channel supposedly dedicated to said market needs to take such a step?

I must admit I'm slightly annoyed, if only because the new prime time lineup limits the introduction of anime shows new to the channel. Typically, Animax introduces three or four new (to the channel) anime shows each month. For the month of May, there will be only one new anime show. I suppose that will become the norm.

Whatever. I suppose there's always the net. But I can't help being slightly annoyed.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 19:04   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
As Animax-Asia viewers know, the channel will start showing Korean dramas etc. on prime time starting May 3. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is anime such a niche market that a channel supposedly dedicated to said market needs to take such a step?

I must admit I'm slightly annoyed, if only because the new prime time lineup limits the introduction of anime shows new to the channel. Typically, Animax introduces three or four new (to the channel) anime shows each month. For the month of May, there will be only one new anime show. I suppose that will become the norm.

Whatever. I suppose there's always the net. But I can't help being slightly annoyed.
Might be a brilliant move. The market for K-Dramas in the Philippines is ridiculous.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 19:43   Link #3
Socke
Banned

Which kind of Animax you are referring to?

If you are referring Animax-Asia, which is available in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Brunei and India, all I can say is Animax sucks. Their plan to introduces some K-dramas in their channel is a stupid move as Animax is an anime channel and related entertainment like video games, cosplay, some J-pop/rock concerts and such.

Animax already sucked as they aired too many shoujo shows and in fact they premiered two new shoujo shows in this May, Maid-sama and Romeo x Juliet. Those aren't bad but as a seinen fan, I wish they aired Clannad first seasons, Da Capo series, Ef Tale of Memories and Kanon instead. Yes K-On was a nice move but they forgot more superior KyoAni productions like Clannad for example. So far ANimax is more interested in shoujo shows like Sainkokaku Monogatari, that violin girl show(I don't know its title and I don't care about it either), Inuyasha Final Act(which actually worse than its 2001 TV series) and many more which I just don't care about them.

Animax don't suck generally, It can be better by reducing some shoujo shows little bit.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 21:02   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Is anime such a niche market that a channel supposedly dedicated to said market needs to take such a step?
Last time I checked, Animax Latin america was airing the following:

-Old Hollywood movies
-Old quiz shows
-Etc, etc.

Rarely bother with the channel now days and wouldn't be surprised if other fans in LA were not doing the same already.

And while I am hardly a fan of them, I would much rather prefer it if they were airing Asian dramas instead. At least that way, some anime live action shows could also air.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2010-04-30 at 21:20.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 04:05   Link #5
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Might be a brilliant move. The market for K-Dramas in the Philippines is ridiculous.
I didn't know that. Is it as big as, say, the market for Latin American telenovelas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
Animax don't suck generally, It can be better by reducing some shoujo shows little bit.
Does it help that Kaze no Stigma is coming this month?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Last time I checked, Animax Latin america was airing the following:

-Old Hollywood movies
-Old quiz shows
-Etc, etc.
Hah, I didn't know that. Maybe Animax will go the way of MTV, and soon people will be asking, “Do you remember the time when Animax aired anime?”
Old 2010-05-01, 11:51   Link #6
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:

If you are referring Animax-Asia, which is available in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Brunei and India, all I can say is Animax sucks. Their plan to introduces some K-dramas in their channel is a stupid move as Animax is an anime channel and related entertainment like video games, cosplay, some J-pop/rock concerts and such.

Animax already sucked as they aired too many shoujo shows and in fact they premiered two new shoujo shows in this May, Maid-sama and Romeo x Juliet. Those aren't bad but as a seinen fan, I wish they aired Clannad first seasons, Da Capo series, Ef Tale of Memories and Kanon instead. Yes K-On was a nice move but they forgot more superior KyoAni productions like Clannad for example. So far ANimax is more interested in shoujo shows like Sainkokaku Monogatari, that violin girl show(I don't know its title and I don't care about it either), Inuyasha Final Act(which actually worse than its 2001 TV series) and many more which I just don't care about them.

You know what, even with some cheesy dubbing which i don't care about. I'd just really want to watch those animes like NHK ni youkoso, Romeo & Juliet & others with Subtitles instead! Gimme a break....
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 14:04   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Animax Latin America had such a crappy library of titles, all of them extremely poorly dubbed to boot, that they started airing American films a year or so ago (also dubbed, lol).

I think it died now. It's really sad--I had high hopes for it at first but they vanished shortly afterwards seeing the poor selection of titles and the obstinacy with dubbing everything.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 03:49   Link #8
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:

The problem is they won't air those shows you mention unless their dubbed. They done a great move to air new animes that aired at the same time as their Japanese counterparts like Tears To Tiara, FMA Brotherhood & Maid-sama.

And what is wrong for appeasing the female demographics, i consider it equal entertainment for their fans. Shonen action for the guys and Shoujo romance for the ladies.

Give them some slack, they have to choose carefully which animes their gonna aired without facing the wrath of the Singaporean Censor boards. (Be thankful they shown Maria is watching over us and Hellsing Ultimate.)
Old 2010-05-02, 05:09   Link #9
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Give them some slack, they have to choose carefully which animes their gonna aired without facing the wrath of the Singaporean Censor boards. (Be thankful they shown Maria is watching over us and Hellsing Ultimate.)
So I suppose the Singaporean censors are why the more "suggestive" moments of Marimite (such as the Yumi-Sei kiss and the Yumi-Sachiko almost-kiss) were edited? And I thought the Philippine and Indonesian censors were bad.

While we're on Marimite, I'm a little vexed that they showed the first two episodes of the third season (my first time watching their dub of said season BTW), but starting tonight the slot will be taken by a replay of the week's Romeo X Juliet episodes.
Old 2010-05-04, 02:51   Link #10
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Maybe Animax will go the way of MTV, and soon people will be asking, “Do you remember the time when Animax aired anime?”
Actually, it already did, at least for Animax LA. Now, anime only airs in late hours. The rest of the time is for series, sitcons and some crappy shows. It's horrendous, specially because we already have the Channel Sony airing some of these shows.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 18:46   Link #11
Socke
Banned

@MrTerrorist:

I never impressed with their so-called 'new' shows in Animax. Maid-sama just plain sucks and FMA: Brotherhood is overrated. While Bleach is 'okay' at best simply because it covers its best arc, Rukia Rescue one.

Not like I want Animax to remove all shoujo shows(even though it may be a good thing to me and some other moe fanboys) but I just want Animax to put all of those in some certain time slot which I can avoid them. It just annoying that the violin girl show(again I forgot its title) before I can see Bleach.

I just want Animax to show some good seinen romance shows like Clannad and Ef series instead of those bad shoujo ones because they portrayed their characters, especially female ones much more accurate than its shoujo counterparts.

I also didn't care much about Singaporean censorship. I think some yaoi fangirls taken over it as they didn't censor Yami no Matsuei(a yaoi show) in AXN(Animax's father) but they butchered Maria-sama ga Miteru series. Hope for seeing its fourth season is slim to none. I hope Animax will leave Singapore soon and head to a less conservative country like Hong Kong instead.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 19:35   Link #12
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
+1 in Vietnam, I am glad I moved to Canada before the K-Invasion took over the country 10-30 demographics.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 21:17   Link #13
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

A year already passed but they still showing K-Dramas. It is annoying that some housewives in 30's and 40's start to tune Animax for K-Dramas than anime. Its funny but pretty sad actually.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 23:26   Link #14
Taufiq91

Who watches Animax anymore?

I stopped watching Animax after 2007. I knew their demise began when they replaced shounen & noitamina-based anime airtime with shoujo airtime.

And then, they started airing J-rock shows. I'm okay with that except that they tend to have guests like My Chemical Romance and Nickelback into the show, and i stopped caring ever since.
Old 2011-05-04, 10:05   Link #15
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
@MrTerrorist:It just annoying that the violin girl show(again I forgot its title)
This violin girl anime title is La Corda d'Oro : Primo Passo.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 22:12   Link #16
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Finally Lucky Star is in Animax, only after I barked too loud in that place. Okay I quite thankful to Animax for showing this rather old show(Spring 2007) but why don't they show it much earlier. Hell Lucky Star is older than Black Butler but they only realized that they are losing male viewership so they decided to show Lucky Star. It still a nice try but next time please show a yuri anime like Sasameki Koto.

PS: In case you are wondering Maria-sama ga Miteru is NOT a yuri show since there is no canon lesbian in the show(while Sei's sexuality still in question though).
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote