AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-11-14, 06:38   Link #641
Marty17
Like What You Hate

(I'm) Straying a bit off topic, but still...

Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-14, 06:52   Link #642
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
So, in your opinion, only characters with strong emotions or traits have personality? Then, obviously, we can't have a discussion about personality traits, since I don't agree with your definition. There have been plenty of chapters where Haruna has been the main focus without any other characters involved. In fact, you could argue that Yui wouldn't have a personality without Rito, but Haruna would.
Though I mainly agree with you, Yui has shown other, none Rito related traits such as a dislike of Rule Breaking, suggesting a need for order and a controlling personality.

There are other less noticable things too, but I can't be bothered going into them.

It really annoys me when people say such and such has no personality,becuase that's impossible for anything other than an inanimate object. Stoic, silent type etc are personality traits too.
Old 2010-11-14, 07:35   Link #643
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
So, in your opinion, only characters with strong emotions or traits have personality? Then, obviously, we can't have a discussion about personality traits, since I don't agree with your definition. There have been plenty of chapters where Haruna has been the main focus without any other characters involved. In fact, you could argue that Yui wouldn't have a personality without Rito, but Haruna would.
For you info even during the limited time she was given Yui has shown other, non Rito related treats (like she is controlling freak etc.) which can also be fun if explored.

Stoic and silent can be a personality trait if it is strongly expressed. Yuki from Haruhi has a strong personality even though she lacks open emotions. On the other hand such characters like Haruna are just scattered around the do not have that focused personality traits at all - they are like amebas, basically shapeless and edgeless. She is just as tasteless as a chewed-out gum. Yui or others can be fun even without much other plot involved just bathing in the strong traits - Haruka is not like that. She is just too boring and too plain to be the focus and the lead heroine. Maybe as a tiny support character where she is between abnormals so that her being so very normal becomes a trait but only because other characters are not acting normal at all.

We already saw that in the first series. No need to repeat that again. She failed to become a really popular heroine, now its time to give other characters a try and from the looks momo is already doing far better than Haruka did during the whole first series.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 08:01   Link #644
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty17 View Post
(I'm) Straying a bit off topic, but still...

Spoiler:
That belongs in the anime thread, not manga. Plus it's already been posted in the anime thread.
Old 2010-11-14, 12:26   Link #645
Zoofranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Stoic and silent can be a personality trait if it is strongly expressed. Yuki from Haruhi has a strong personality even though she lacks open emotions. On the other hand such characters like Haruna are just scattered around the do not have that focused personality traits at all - they are like amebas, basically shapeless and edgeless. She is just as tasteless as a chewed-out gum. Yui or others can be fun even without much other plot involved just bathing in the strong traits - Haruka is not like that.
I do not agree here. She showed that she has strong emotions hidden behind her silence in the chapter where she confesses her feelings to Lala (and the chapters previous to this one), just to give the most remarkable example. The only thing needed was an ideal ocassion for her to act (She couldn't do it when she was alone and naked in that room with Rito for example)
Zoofranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 12:29   Link #646
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofranz View Post
I do not agree here. She showed that she has strong emotions hidden behind her silence in the chapter where she confesses her feelings to Lala (and the chapters previous to this one), just to give the most remarkable example. The only thing needed was an ideal ocassion for her to act (She couldn't do it when she was alone and naked in that room with Rito for example)
The manga focused on her a lot a few rare gems like that may have happened in those number of chapters she had, but its too little too rare. Yui showed much more even without that much of focus on her and with the face that majority of her appearances were mostly for comical fanservice.
Old 2010-11-14, 14:05   Link #647
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
For you info even during the limited time she was given Yui has shown other, non Rito related treats (like she is controlling freak etc.) which can also be fun if explored.

Stoic and silent can be a personality trait if it is strongly expressed. Yuki from Haruhi has a strong personality even though she lacks open emotions. On the other hand such characters like Haruna are just scattered around the do not have that focused personality traits at all - they are like amebas, basically shapeless and edgeless. She is just as tasteless as a chewed-out gum. Yui or others can be fun even without much other plot involved just bathing in the strong traits - Haruka is not like that. She is just too boring and too plain to be the focus and the lead heroine. Maybe as a tiny support character where she is between abnormals so that her being so very normal becomes a trait but only because other characters are not acting normal at all.

We already saw that in the first series. No need to repeat that again. She failed to become a really popular heroine, now its time to give other characters a try and from the looks momo is already doing far better than Haruka did during the whole first series.
I'm kinda tired of this argument, since it just repeats the same things over again. It's just a difference in opinions. You think Haruna's boring, so that's why you don't think she's a good main character. Even your definition of personality hinges on how boring or plain you consider the person. I don't agree with you, because I don't find her boring. In fact, I find Haruna more interesting than Yui [which, by the way, making this a Yui vs. Haruna contest was not what I was going for at all]. You don't. I'll just leave it at that.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 16:06   Link #648
faiz blaster

Haruna is not stoic but rather modest and a little too self-conscious. If you ask me, she seems a perfect example of the so called "yamato nadeshiko" cliche. When you see it that way, no wonder that the author's wife (right now I don't remember if it was Yabuki-sensei's or Hasemi-sensei's) got jealous when she learned that Haruna was based on a childhood's love of his.
faiz blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 16:08   Link #649
Xagzan

I thought she was based on the wife herself?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 16:16   Link #650
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
Haruna is not stoic but rather modest and a little too self-conscious. If you ask me, she seems a perfect example of the so called "yamato nadeshiko" cliche. When you see it that way, no wonder that the author's wife (right now I don't remember if it was Yabuki-sensei's or Hasemi-sensei's) got jealous when she learned that Haruna was based on a childhood's love of his.
Wasn't Haruna based on his wife herself? And that was another issue that his wife had - that he used her image in his manga?

Where did you get this info?
Old 2010-11-14, 16:45   Link #651
faiz blaster

From this forum. It appeared somewhere back when rumors that the original manga would be canceled first appeared.

That being said, I always wondered how Yabuki&Hasemi managed to get permission to start Darkness considering all the commotion that lead to the end of the first To Love-ru.
Old 2010-11-14, 17:12   Link #652
Xacual

He had to pay off his ex wife so she couldn't complain about the character anymore. There was a long post somewhere describing it all.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 22:06   Link #653
faiz blaster

Quote:
Wasn't Haruna based on his wife herself? And that was another issue that his wife had - that he used her image in his manga?

Where did you get this info?
Giving a second thought about it, it doesn't make much sense if that was the case. One would expect a woman to be pleased, or at least flattered, upon knowing that she was the basis for a main character of a popular work of fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
He had to pay off his ex wife so she couldn't complain about the character anymore. There was a long post somewhere describing it all.
I REEAAALLY need to see that.... Does anyone has a link for said post?
Old 2010-11-14, 22:18   Link #654
wingman32x

Man, I'm still not used to seeing TLR only once a month. I want more Momo!!

I'm interested to see where they're going to go after the Mei situation is dealt with. That can't last the whole manga, at least not as the central conflict. I suppose it could if they were creative enough, but with Hasemi writing it, I doubt we'll get anything relavent plotwise.

I guess it'll be Momo dragging Rito around as she continues her harem plan .
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 12:23   Link #655
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Giving a second thought about it, it doesn't make much sense if that was the case. One would expect a woman to be pleased, or at least flattered, upon knowing that she was the basis for a main character of a popular work of fiction.
You seem to not know the story about him and his cheating wife. This was one of her complaints in the middle of divorce process. To get more money from him.

And as Xacual said, he had to pay off his ex wife so she couldn't complain about the character (Haruka) anymore.
Old 2010-11-15, 13:07   Link #656
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
I REEAAALLY need to see that.... Does anyone has a link for said post?
Not sure if this is said post, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
For that reason it ended? Wow, I hope she gets stuck under train rail tracks for ending To-Love-Ru and wow Haruna character was based of his wife....I found this..

Spoiler:
Also, wow. I completely forgotten about the daughter thing. It's a shame that someone would do something to the equivalent of selling their daughter for money...
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 13:21   Link #657
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Also, wow. I completely forgotten about the daughter thing. It's a shame that someone would do something to the equivalent of selling their daughter for money...
Well there are various poeple in the world. Some are really no good. Too bad that Haruka's character was build off this trash of a person in real life.
Old 2010-11-15, 13:54   Link #658
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
- Haruna Sairenji was based on Kashiwagi Shiho, and there is a reason why her role was reduced dramatically since volume 13, and Yui getting more prominent. And apparently Shiho has sued/demanded more money for the character of Haruna recently.
That's still doesn't really make sense to me. The fact the character may be based on her doesn't give her any rights as far as I know. Mangaka and various writers base their characters on real people all the time. Besides, from what we know about Yabuki's wife, it doesn't seem like she and Haruna had all that much in common...

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic, isn't it? The manga is back now, so there's no need to dwell on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Man, I'm still not used to seeing TLR only once a month. I want more Momo!!

I'm interested to see where they're going to go after the Mei situation is dealt with. That can't last the whole manga, at least not as the central conflict. I suppose it could if they were creative enough, but with Hasemi writing it, I doubt we'll get anything relavent plotwise.

I guess it'll be Momo dragging Rito around as she continues her harem plan .
I hope so. I'm truly loving this premise. I just wish for some kind of development this time. They can't keep stalling forever.

The Mea storyline itself probably won't last more than 6 chapters, but there is still her master to deal with afterwards. Other alien threats could also be introduced, the TLR verse has a lot of potential yet to be exploited. I'd personally like to see Deviluke.
Old 2010-11-15, 14:03   Link #659
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's still doesn't really make sense to me. The fact the character may be based on her doesn't give her any rights as far as I know. Mangaka and various writers base their characters on real people all the time. Besides, from what we know about Yabuki's wife, it doesn't seem like she and Haruna had all that much in common...

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic, isn't it? The manga is back now, so there's no need to dwell on that.

I hope so. I'm truly loving this premise. I just wish for some kind of development this time. They can't keep stalling forever.

The Mea storyline itself probably won't last more than 6 chapters, but there is still her master to deal with afterwards. Other alien threats could also be introduced, the TLR verse has a lot of potential yet to be exploited. I'd personally like to see Deviluke.
And Lala's mom
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 14:09   Link #660
Used Can

For some reason I've always thought she's dead.

Tags
ecchi, fake harem, harem, manga, nudity, romance, sci-fi, shounen