AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 18:38   Link #1221
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Well Mao would have killed her but thanks to C.C. she was safe. And by including Euphie and Nunnally I meant that Shirley wasn't likely to die at the end of R1.

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 19:00   Link #1222
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well that's just it. It's all circumstantial. The writers could've changed it around so that Shirley died in the first season, but instead they chose to kill her off in the second season. It is what it is. And I still don't understand where you're coming from with this whole Shirley-dying-later-in-the-season thing.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 21:44   Link #1223
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Er let's just leave the kill Shirley later thing, it's kinda hard to explain what I meant and a bit confusing.

"All is lost."
Old 2009-11-14, 21:48   Link #1224
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimingan12 View Post
Er let's just leave the kill Shirley later thing, it's kinda hard to explain what I meant and a bit confusing.
LOL, well all right then (yeah, the less we talk about Shirley dying the better )
Old 2009-11-14, 21:55   Link #1225
azul120

I'm guessing you meant that they already fulfilled the trauma quota by season 1's end, and left it for R2 to spread things out a bit.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 22:09   Link #1226
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Yeah, it's kinda confusing explaining everything in detail.

"All is lost."
Old 2009-11-14, 22:42   Link #1227
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, Code Geass can never be too traumatic (not according to Sunrise anyway). Season 1 had terrible tragedy, so it's only natural that season 2 would have more of the same.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:33   Link #1228
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Yeah, I agree with that.

"All is lost."
Old 2009-11-26, 05:04   Link #1229
Nobodyman9
Banned

For anyone that's interested, they're doing this pretty nifty Secret Santa exchange for Shirlulu fans over at LJ. Basically, all you have to do is create an original art or some form of media that is Shirlulu-based. Click the link for details.

http://community.livejournal.com/lel...ley/16950.html
Old 2009-11-26, 05:44   Link #1230
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

Looks like something I might involve myself in.
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 10:02   Link #1231
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
For anyone that's interested, they're doing this pretty nifty Secret Santa exchange for Shirlulu fans over at LJ. Basically, all you have to do is create an original art or some form of media that is Shirlulu-based. Click the link for details.

http://community.livejournal.com/lel...ley/16950.html
That sounds really nice. If I was a Shirlulu fan I would have been a part of it without a shadow of doubt; Hope someone will share the results of this fan!feast with us when those will be up.

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 07:51   Link #1232
HollowScar

Send a message via Yahoo to HollowScar
Shirley so deserved a fairy tale world with Lelouch in it. Just goes to shows what a bitch life is.
HollowScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 15:40   Link #1233
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowScar View Post
Shirley so deserved a fairy tale world with Lelouch in it. Just goes to shows what a bitch life is.
Pretty much. The thing about Shirley's character is that she was this innocent naive who didn't have much more of a life than being a happy-go-lucky ordinary school girl who had fallen in love with a classmate, which made her character kind of shojo-ish in a way. Problem was that her character got caught up in the harsh reality of the Britannia/Area 11 conflict and Lelouch's web of lies. Unfortunately her idealistic "fairy tale" character wasn't compatible with that world.
Old 2009-12-06, 15:55   Link #1234
azul120

Yep. Three words: Wrong Genre Savvy. If CG were one of those shows, she would have saved Lelouch, no doubt.
Old 2009-12-06, 17:47   Link #1235
HollowScar

Well, I think her character was essential to show the juxtaposition between Lelouch and her, or between Britannia and her. In a world, were people were deceiving each other, she did stand out, and was sacrificed, which affected Lelouch, as he did learn some morals from her, and also cared for her enough to go after Rolo.

It is sad that Lelouch lost his parent's due to their choice, lost his step brother to revenge, lost his step sister to accident, lost his pretend brother to sacrifice, and, lost one of his closest friend (Shirley) to misunderstanding. He must have been damaged, at some point.
Old 2009-12-06, 22:57   Link #1236
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Yep. Three words: Wrong Genre Savvy. If CG were one of those shows, she would have saved Lelouch, no doubt.
If you interpret it a certain way, you could say that Shirley's character was a big middle finger to the shojo genre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowScar View Post
Well, I think her character was essential to show the juxtaposition between Lelouch and her, or between Britannia and her. In a world, were people were deceiving each other, she did stand out, and was sacrificed, which affected Lelouch, as he did learn some morals from her, and also cared for her enough to go after Rolo.
Yeah, I think Shirley more or less represented the civilian side of the world and she showed how Lelouch's actions hurt those around him. She may have represented stability and a peaceful life, hence when she died there was no hope for Lelouch for a peaceful and pretty much went all downhill from there. Notice he never returned to Ashford as a student after her death.

Quote:
It is sad that Lelouch lost his parent's due to their choice, lost his step brother to revenge, lost his step sister to accident, lost his pretend brother to sacrifice, and, lost one of his closest friend (Shirley) to misunderstanding. He must have been damaged, at some point.
That, my friend, is the understatement of the century. Lelouch was not only damaged, his mind was completely warped and distorted turning him into the crazy bastard he is, and it only got worse as the series went on. Lelouch has had it rough.
Old 2009-12-06, 23:17   Link #1237
HollowScar

Yeah. I think having multiple female protagonists who each have their own specialty sounds like a James Bond movie. Fortunately, all three females in Code Geass were meaningful, with their loyalty to Lelouch, and their own flavor to a Code Geass world.

Shirley still got the worst as she was a sort of a naive, and dreamy optimist, who even though jumped into conclusions quickly, still had a good heart to give Lelouch a fulfilling life. She died too young, and could not do much about it. If I were Lelouch, and could see that far in the future, I would have ended it for good, no matter how much it hurt me. If she were alive, she could have been like Milly who resembled her in certain ways.

For a crazy bastard, he did go away with a good end note. Maybe if he were alive any longer, he would have gone the same destination as Light Yagami or Mao, and chose to die trying to get free of the insanity that geass eventually brought.
Old 2009-12-06, 23:37   Link #1238
Nobodyman9
Banned

Ha ha, well that's one way to look at it. But yeah, all three of them were distinct in their own way, and Shirley, despite having the smallest role among them, was still my favorite. I can't help but love the innocent pure-hearted ones.

Yeah, to me Shirley represented a kind of hopeful side to the story that Lelouch may have been able to have if he had let her into his life. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to just push her to side, I guess she had to die so that that hope could die with her. It would've been great if she had lived though. Still, it's hard to imagine how she woudl handle the whole ZR thing, but then I guess that would also depend on circumstance (like if she still even knew who Lelouch was)

Now that I think I would've liked to see But unlike Light and Mao I don't think he was pure evil, so he probably didn't deserve an end quite like that, despite his bone-headed ZR plan.
Old 2009-12-06, 23:59   Link #1239
HollowScar

Well, Lelouch got to die away in a very heroic way especially in some of his close friends' heart, but he did that by screwing himself to the point, where it was surprising not to see the public spit on his face, and burn him after his death. I have Avoidant Personality Disorder, so something like that is what I would do. Lelouch did not seem to be a person that would get the thrills doing that. He was someone unique, and should have been a narcissist, but he went the opposite way, and really pulled himself down.

Well, we have that in common. I like Shirley too, because she would be a great wife to any lucky bastard, and would spread optimism to her children. She was naive and harmless, and died for a little mistake, when both Kallen and C.C. put their lives at stake more often than her. I think after her death, Lelouch should have been low for a while, feeling pain, exactly like the video below with that much emotion. She deserved that at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL04DTm1kR0

Lelouch was definitely not pure evil, and could have been a good leader if he lived long enough to see a peaceful future. Without Shirley though, what's the point? She stood by him, even though both Kallen and C.C. did more than her. I can relate to her, as I am a good hearted person too, but am useless in many situations, thus feeling like a burden.

I guess she had to die, or else she would have been too annoying and would be there as nothing beside Kallen and C.C., being hated by many. Maybe it was her death, that made us like her even more.
Old 2009-12-07, 00:11   Link #1240
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Ha ha, well that's one way to look at it. But yeah, all three of them were distinct in their own way, and Shirley, despite having the smallest role among them, was still my favorite. I can't help but love the innocent pure-hearted ones.

Yeah, to me Shirley represented a kind of hopeful side to the story that Lelouch may have been able to have if he had let her into his life. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to just push her to side, I guess she had to die so that that hope could die with her. It would've been great if she had lived though. Still, it's hard to imagine how she woudl handle the whole ZR thing, but then I guess that would also depend on circumstance (like if she still even knew who Lelouch was)

Now that I think I would've liked to see But unlike Light and Mao I don't think he was pure evil, so he probably didn't deserve an end quite like that, despite his bone-headed ZR plan.
If Shirley didn't die, ZR would have never happened. Heck, the BK expulsion not happening would have been enough, as that was the last straw.