AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-10, 15:01   Link #461
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Anyone find the controls (try navigating through menu) on PC a little confusing at first? I feel as if they just ported the console version onto the PC without taking keyboard and mouse into consideration...
This seems pretty common in multiplats now. I'm pretty sure Bethesda are concentrating on consoles, and knows that the modding crowd will fix whatever issues the PC port has.

I haven't even finished Oblivion yet, so I'm going to wait until the major bug fixes are out before getting Skyrim. Plus I need my waifu mods =P
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 15:17   Link #462
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You know what sucks? They say it's 0.01 worldwide release. Well, that's a damn lie. Europe release goes with the UK clock, meaning us in the Finland or well anywhere else than UK for that matter have to wait additional hours. That means I get to play this game at 02.01, not at the midnight ... <.<
I get to download mine at 11:00 pm tonight. Seems its based on 12:00 eastern time in america for us.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 15:36   Link #463
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

hmmm... dual wielding 2x1handers seem to be more trouble than it is worth :S
You press both mouse buttons at the same time (for the doubleswing) or am i doing it the wrong way? The doubleswing seem to have a very long "reset time". DWing power attack is pretty neat though.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 15:39   Link #464
Simonsy

Don't think I'll dual blade at all, going to probably be one hand/magic for most the time.

The shield takes up too much of the screen for my tastes, plus too many great magics not to do that.
Old 2011-11-10, 16:30   Link #465
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
Don't think I'll dual blade at all, going to probably be one hand/magic for most the time.

The shield takes up too much of the screen for my tastes, plus too many great magics not to do that.
Not supose to be blocking 24/7 or else the NPC's do too and you two just stand there and wait. suppose to bring up your shield when you see someone attacking :P
Old 2011-11-10, 17:09   Link #466
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
I get to download mine at 11:00 pm tonight. Seems its based on 12:00 eastern time in america for us.
Download? I already dl'ed mine. I just can't play it because of Steam and it's '' this game will unlock in two hours '' which means that when it unlocks it's 02.01, not 00.01 as the '' worldwide release '' was supposed to be. You know what pisses me off more? That the people who are going to pirate this game are already playing this game. This is the first time I've bought a single player game on PC and I'm already regretting it .. <.<
Old 2011-11-10, 18:29   Link #467
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
How's combat dudes? Same as Oblivion?
not it was bad or anything but...
Old 2011-11-10, 18:30   Link #468
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just have to wait some more hours until the game unlocks on Steam. Easy enough to keep busy though. This has been such a crazy month already for games so not lacking options. Just 5.5 hours until midnight and then it will be time.
Old 2011-11-10, 18:43   Link #469
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
How's combat dudes? Same as Oblivion?
not it was bad or anything but...
According to the PCGamer review, the physical combat is more or less the same, but has added 'execution' style finishers. However, stealth gameplay is improved a LOT and archery is also supposed to be quite fun. The dragon roar skills also add a lot to combat variety too.
Old 2011-11-10, 19:39   Link #470
Simonsy

Quote:
Download? I already dl'ed mine. I just can't play it because of Steam and it's '' this game will unlock in two hours '' which means that when it unlocks it's 02.01, not 00.01 as the '' worldwide release '' was supposed to be. You know what pisses me off more? That the people who are going to pirate this game are already playing this game. This is the first time I've bought a single player game on PC and I'm already regretting it .. <.<
I have it downloaded already as well, same as you waiting till steam lets me INSTALL. Which I believe is in 4 and half hours. Will be able to do it as soon as it hits midnight east coast time.

Just bought myself a controller for PC, seems most games now tend to be set up for controller play instead of controller. I noticed this in Witcher 2 big time and seems the overal census is that this game is built that way as well.
Old 2011-11-10, 19:44   Link #471
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Literally just played a hour in this game and it is just amazing sound track and game play it tops all rpgs for me, wasn't expecting this game to be this brilliant but it really is. Just wow . only problem I have is the dungeon maps are a little ting iny bit hard to understand.
Old 2011-11-10, 20:01   Link #472
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The PC UI controls are a bit...wonky. Some things you have to use your keyboard, other things, you can use your mouse (and can't use your keyboard), which is kind of frustrating at first, as you stumble along switching between the two through the menus. Or, at least, that's the way it seems. I'm hoping this is not intentional and that we'll get a quick patch to correct this. :/

In character creation, sometimes when I turned the camera with my mouse, I could no longer select anything in the menus, so would have to esc to the previous menu to fix that. Basically, the UI could use some work to make it a little more PC friendly, and it's definitely geared 100% to a gamepad. I'm pretty much resigned to this though, as I can't recall the last multi-platform game at this point that didn't make us PC users suffer with a console-limited UI. Even the Witcher 2, which spent a lot of time claiming to be making it for the PC first, ended up with a console UI.

Combat, so far, is similar to Oblivion. But, we've got some finishers now. They're sweet, but I am hoping more unlock as the game continues, because even in the short time I've played, I've seen the same ones...a lot. You can set gear/abilities/spells/etc to a Favorites menu, which you can pull up (and the game pauses) to switch between gear/spells/etc quickly, which is a nice new addition.

Skills are essentially talent trees now if you've played any MMO in the last seven years. Skyrim calls them perks, which you gain as you level, and spend to unlock abilities within a skill tree. There are a lot of them, and it's a bit overwhelming at first looking through them all trying to put a rough draft together as to where you want your character to go.

Here's my character about an hour in, after running through a cave dungeon:

Going 1-h weapon in my right hand, and magic in my left. I wanted to go with a big 2-h weapon, but as far as I can tell...you can't cast magic without a hand free, though you could always swap weapon/shield in and out in the middle of combat, but I find that too much of a hassle. If I'm just too stupid to figure out how to cast magic with both hands full, please let me know. I actually skimmed the manual (I never read the darn things), because I was trying to figure out if I was just really dumb when it comes to casting magic, but didn't see anything about being able to while wielding a 2-H.

Haven't spent any perks yet, as I'm waiting till I've got a better handle on all the skills.

Also, it's not immediately obvious that you can choose which hand to equip a weapon, so I had equipped my first weapon in my left hand and when the game tells you to equip a shield, the shield kept replacing the weapon, driving me nuts until I realized what was going on. Don't be dumb like me!

Overall, it's a bit clunky, but that's a hallmark of the Elder Scroll games, so I don't mind too much. Oh, running is default movement now (yay), and you can jump while running (double yay), but we now have sprint as well, which you can't jump while doing. Nor can you jump while walking. :/

I am toying with the idea of plugging in my PS3 controller to see if things go a little smoother, but I generally hate game pad control vs WASD + Mouse. We'll see.

Lastly, even though they have improved the faces in this game (Oblivion probably has the ugliest characters ever made, and while I've already seen some uglies, overall it's a huge improvement), elves don't seem to have been hit by the pretty brush like everyone else as they are still quite hideous to behold.

Now, I am going to go back and see how long I can go ignoring the main quest. Though, truth to tell, I am completely lost as to where things like a Fighter's Guild etc are. :/ So, maybe I'll do the main quest until it points me to a real city.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-11-10 at 20:21.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 20:23   Link #473
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

She doesn't look half bad

sad STILL people will male girls to stare at booty ><
Old 2011-11-10, 21:14   Link #474
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I stayed with a male toon after I find out that I cannot change breast size.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 21:56   Link #475
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Or maybe people just like playing as females? Goddamnit people, it's a roleplaying game, it has nothing to do with wanting to stare at '' booty ''. Maybe you should google the term and see what it stands for. I always play a female character -_-

Btw if you turn off '' 360 Controller '' from options the UI is much better and you can control everything with mouse. I have yet to run into something that can't be controller with a mouse.
Old 2011-11-10, 22:00   Link #476
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
She doesn't look half bad

sad STILL people will male girls to stare at booty ><
There was already a thread for that line of discussion.
Old 2011-11-10, 22:01   Link #477
Simonsy

considering that elder scrolls are mostly a first person game i doubt people are creating a female to stare at her ass
Old 2011-11-10, 22:03   Link #478
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
(lots of comments and picture)
Thanks for the initial review and pic...
Old 2011-11-10, 22:15   Link #479
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Thanks for the initial review and pic...
I couldn't help but chuckle at this

you lazy lazy person

Dist, Xion... i was obviously joking... stop taking it so serious... I got a female play through in mind as well. It's a FPS friendly game and I know people will be playin a character because they like to, not for the booty alone. Guess I need to put strong notes that I'm only jokin. sorry kay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I stayed with a male toon after I find out that I cannot change breast size.

Theres more to a woman's looks than boobies man theres... hips, booty, lips, eyes,hair.....personality (Meh XP jk) you get what i mean.... i hope.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2011-11-10 at 22:34.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 22:40   Link #480
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Btw if you turn off '' 360 Controller '' from options the UI is much better and you can control everything with mouse. I have yet to run into something that can't be controller with a mouse.
Strange. I have it turned off, but there are still menu items that require me using the 'W' and 'S' keys to select, though once a given menu choice is highlighted, it and its submenus can be clicked with the mouse.

For instance, the 'Tab' menu:

I can't select any of those four choices with my mouse. :/

Nor can I select any of the initial choices in the 'Esc' menu, but I can select all the subchoices with my mouse.

Are you saying you are able to click on those choices with your mouse (without having selected it first with your keyboard)? If so, I guess I'm experiencing a bug of some kind.

Now, to be fair, I am already getting used to it, and using my keyboard is actually faster than the mouse now that muscle memory is setting in, but it just seems like a weird design choice to not allow the mouse to also work in these situations.

I can't even use my mouse to choose different menu choices at the main menu, but can use it to select an already selected menu choice. :/

Edit: Found out I can use the scroll wheel to move up and down the menus. Still don't see how I can use my mouse at the 'Tab' menu though.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-11-10 at 22:55.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim