AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-05-30, 01:57   Link #6201
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Oh well, I just hoped that Signum shouts out her new Device's name before each attack like she did with Laevatein or something...
I'm still expecting Signum to take a page from Obi-Wan's book and express disgust on the AEC-Equipement about fighting the enemy with such un-kightly and cold weapon.

EDIT: Page claimed for a milestone Signum celebration xD!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2012-05-30 at 05:05.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 11:01   Link #6202
Justin_Brett

Quote:
I'm still expecting Signum to take a page from Obi-Wan's book and express disgust on the AEC-Equipement about fighting the enemy with such un-kightly and cold weapon.
Dismembering people doesn't seem that knightly either, buddy.

(Neither is using an army of disposable clones to fight your battles, but that's neither here nor there)
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 11:04   Link #6203
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
It's part of the business, Jedi Knights dismember people all the time. In fact, it's one of the primary uses of the lightsaber: swift, elegant, deathly xD!

Quote:
(Neither is using an army of disposable clones to fight your battles, but that's neither here nor there)
The point is Jedi Knights are aware of the unchivalry of their current tactics but they've been forced to do that because they were overwhelmend by war and escalating technology. But they express disgust and distrust to the clones and unceremonial weaponry like guns, which is evidence they still hold their code and standards in high regard despite being forced to betray those beliefs. Signum is an Ancient Knight who always held her knight code and fightstyle in high-regard to the point of announcing her trusted sword complete with title. Wonder how she feels wielding a manufactured piece of advertising for CW on her hands and knowing her victory depends entirely of that "thing" xDU

Laevatein deserves a ceremony to honour his life of service before retiring from active warfare duty.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-05-30, 22:02   Link #6204
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:

Real knights were still killers, by the neutral technical definition of "someone who kills" rather than any negative connotations sanitised modern society has. Honourable doesn't mean stupid, and dismembering is what broadswords could and did do.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 22:56   Link #6205
Justin_Brett

Yeah, I just meant that romanticizing nowadays means chivalry gets exaggerated a little bit. The only reason knights didn't use bows that much was because the ones back when they were still the end-all on the battlefield were incredibly cumbersome to use, especially in full armor. Even Samurai used guns at some point.
Old 2012-05-30, 23:05   Link #6206
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Not like Signum and the rest of the Wolkenritter strictly adhere to some code of chivalry anyways. Heck, their entire thing in A's was "Screw duty! We want our master to live!"
Old 2012-05-31, 00:19   Link #6207
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Real knights were still killers, by the neutral technical definition of "someone who kills" rather than any negative connotations sanitised modern society has. Honourable doesn't mean stupid, and dismembering is what broadswords could and did do.
Just a historical nitpick: the idealization of the knight status took place around the time of the Renaissance Wars, when mounted knights became increasingly displaced by mercenary infantry on the battlefield. The ideals of chivalry were attached to knighthood after it went out of style.
Old 2012-05-31, 00:38   Link #6208
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Not like Signum and the rest of the Wolkenritter strictly adhere to some code of chivalry anyways. Heck, their entire thing in A's was "Screw duty! We want our master to live!"
Which made the impact all the greater xD!

Signum made clear the moral struggle they've been going trough by going to the limits of breaking their word and stain their honour in order to save Hayate. It's the greatest proof of their feelings for Hayate, their love for her is so big they're willing to betray their honour as knights. A's treated that as a pretty big deal for them, Signum even cursed herself and cried xD. That's one of the things that made A's an awesome season. The Wolks actions and decisions have all deep and powerfull meanings.

Signum's actions in FORCE have much less significance by comparission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Just a historical nitpick: the idealization of the knight status took place around the time of the Renaissance Wars, when mounted knights became increasingly displaced by mercenary infantry on the battlefield. The ideals of chivalry were attached to knighthood after it went out of style.
Makes sense in a way xD. The romance about the samurai also became greater when they've startedd to get overwhelmed by modern weaponry.

"Nobody knows what they have until it's lost"

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2012-05-31 at 11:07.
Old 2012-05-31, 01:15   Link #6209
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Makes sense in a way xD. The romance about the samurai also became greater when they've startedd to get overwhelmed by modern weaponry.

"Nobody knows what they have until it's lost"
Read an article once on how the various elites succeed each other (like feudal elites succeeded by capitalist elites, etc.), and every time the old elites become glamorized because the new elites want to be like them and thus legitimize their high status. Kinda like the capitalist elites of our era emulate an idealized vision of the Victorian lifestyle (like a sir).
Old 2012-05-31, 06:45   Link #6210
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Signum's actions in FORCE have much less significance by comparission.
Because in Force Signum is a much less significant character. You shouldn't expect her to have some big character moment. Really you should be happy she gets any panel time at all.

Hm, come tot hink of it, time to block your sig again.
Old 2012-05-31, 10:34   Link #6211
Justin_Brett

You can DO that with signatures?
Old 2012-05-31, 11:05   Link #6212
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Because in Force Signum is a much less significant character. You shouldn't expect her to have some big character moment. Really you should be happy she gets any panel time at all.
Oh, so i should be gratefull for how she's being mistreated here xD? That's no excuse, there are side character who get much less time on the screen but retain awesomeness by doing amazing stuff during those 5 mins of glory, so don't give me that BS.

But well, i don't care about how Signum affect the overall plot since she has been a secondary character even in her debut season. As i've said back in A's the Wolkenritter funtion as a composite character of the four knights in terms of developement as all of them were merely satellite characters to Hayate.

While i would really like to see Signum saving the dayand being utter-awesome again i know that's impossible by this poi9nt but at least i would like to see her actions having some meaning to her character at least. She's so far just a walking plot device with no meaning beyond carrying Hayate's orders or Tohma's requests. I want to se her motivation, a window opened to see inside her and know what she's doing this. Vita has a great one in StrikerS and even got a decent one during the Assault to the squad Huckebein so the "support character" argument falls appart. Character's actions can have deep and powerfull meaning despite being only secondary characters. Heck, even background characters can reveal some very powerfull motives in a "day on the limelight" moment.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-05-31, 16:13   Link #6213
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Vita had like five frames and a handful of generic combat dialog during the assault on the Hucks. That's far bellow what Signum got, which was quite royal.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:05   Link #6214
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Yet she revelaed more about the plot an the new equipement and conditions than Signum did in all those panels xDU

The irony is that Signum returned and is doing exactly the same.

Signum: Surrender or i'll beat you up cuz i'm more awesome than you.

Cypha: lol no XD

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2012-05-31 at 17:21.
Old 2012-05-31, 17:08   Link #6215
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

No Aki, Vita didn't 'reveal more in such a short time.' And certainly not more than Signum. Signum's fight revealed a ton of information on the Hucks. Your denial of this does not change the facts.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:16   Link #6216
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
You can DO that with signatures?
Yuppers. In the CP go to "Edit Options" and scroll down till you see thread display options. Then under hide signature, input the user's ID number.

Quote:
Oh, so i should be gratefull for how she's being mistreated here xD? That's no excuse, there are side character who get much less time on the screen but retain awesomeness by doing amazing stuff during those 5 mins of glory, so don't give me that BS.
You're the only one who thinks she was mistreated. She suffered a defeat, big fricken whoop. If you wanna get butt hurt about that, then how about in A's when the masked duo killed her with great ease?

And clearly you missed my post that said that in the new chapter it appears Signum blasted Cypha in such a way that it left only an arm behind.
Old 2012-05-31, 17:25   Link #6217
Meltyred

Quote:
Yuppers. In the CP go to "Edit Options" and scroll down till you see thread display options. Then under hide signature, input the user's ID number.

You're the only one who thinks she was mistreated. She suffered a defeat, big fricken whoop. If you wanna get butt hurt about that, then how about in A's when the masked duo killed her with great ease?

And clearly you missed my post that said that in the new chapter it appears Signum blasted Cypha in such a way that it left only an arm behind.
Someone actually dies?
For real?
Don't give me a regenerate without head or internal organs bullshit, cause that would make Cypha a alien monster, with magic crack.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:28   Link #6218
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
A couple of factors:

1.- She was a new character at the time which means her status as High-tier Badass wasn't fully stablished yet and...

2.- Was ambushed durent a moment of great stress and despair alongside her fellow knights, so it doesn't have the same impact.

Quote:
The key word is "appears" we don't have the full chapter yet. And even if Signum manages to cut/blown one of Cypha's arms we know it's still the start of the fight since losing limbs doesn't mean anything to Cypha. She can just regrow those effortlessly.

Te be fair, tough. That panel is at the end of the chapter so maybe we will need to wait yet another month to know what really happened to Cypha.

About the AEC-Equipement since the NEXT designs are officially ended i hope the manga expands on how Signum's equipement works cause depending on that we can measure how much of the fight is Signum's merit and how much of her sucess is only due to her weapon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about Signum's explanation indeed she helped to unveil info about how much Belkan Knights suck against EC-Drivers. But Vita actually has been explaining more about the background of the AEC-Equipement and the background of the involvement of Caledfwlch Techniques on the plot.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-05-31, 17:54   Link #6219
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Excellent. Now I just need to find where his ID number is.

There we go, it's gone.

Last edited by Justin_Brett; 2012-05-31 at 18:06.
Old 2012-05-31, 18:09   Link #6220
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
Someone actually dies?
For real?
Don't give me a regenerate without head or internal organs bullshit, cause that would make Cypha a alien monster, with magic crack.
It's already confirmed that missing a head kills infectees.

At any rate, obviously I don't think she's dead. When I first posted it I made a Black Cat reference since something similar happened there (Creed got hit with Sephira's ultimate attack and we only see an arm left behind. The next chapter reveals that Creed had barely dodged it by powering up and hid under the floor.)

Quote:
Silly fanboy excuses
For some one who claims to be a Signum fan you sure are picky about when you bash her and when you defend her.

Tags
manga, nanoha force