AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-21, 05:59   Link #561
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

SSO used a Pegasus Fantasy remix and it was pretty cool.

Quote:
But I really hope they will not make it moe to cater to today's male anime fans...
Please. Back in the day Sailormoon was loathed by some vocal haters for being the main perpetrator of the kawaii boom. The history repeats itself...
Old 2013-01-21, 11:23   Link #562
xizro345
King's Justice

Oh yes, I remember people basically saying it was something destroying the industry...
Old 2013-01-21, 13:46   Link #563
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Yay! My favorite manga-ka, Tanemura Arina did a Sailormoon fanart! She's an old school fan...I bet she's excited for this new series....

Spoiler for Her Usagi is so cute!:

I like hers more than Naoko's Usagi. Sorry Naoko-sensei!

I want the book so bad.....but I already spent too much money this month...dammit! DX
Old 2013-01-22, 13:07   Link #564
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So how will they add in Sailor Haumea, Sailor Makemake, and Sailor Eris?
I don't think that Sailor Moon is exactly suffering from a shortage of Senshi to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Nostalgia factor notwithstanding, I suspect that my 28-year-old self will not tolerate the shallowness of a very traditional 90s magical-girl series, especially after the recent Deconstructor Fleets, particularly Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, pretty much executed Base Delta Zero on the Magical Girl Planet and left its surface naught but superheated radioactive glass.
There's no reason for Toei to go back to the old formula since the originals still exist. I'm sure that they've learned a lot of lessons from having made all that Ojamajo Doremi and Precure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I can't tolerate Precure, original or otherwise, despite the original Futari wa Pretty Cure being held up as a deconstruction of the genre. Not after Nanoha and Madoka, anyway.
That's strange as Precure is some of the best anime being made right now. Suite was a miss, but Heartcatch and Smile are very good. They're certainly a lot better than any of the Nanoha I've watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Please. Back in the day Sailormoon was loathed by some vocal haters for being the main perpetrator of the kawaii boom. The history repeats itself...
Were the Japanese fans part of these vocal fans? I can imagine Sailor Moon making a lot of impact to Western fans since they were probably fairly unfamiliar with that style of anime, but it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to Japanese fans.

In any case, I don't think that there's much danger of the new Sailor Moon being anything like the bishoujo anime that are popular nowadays.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:16   Link #565
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Were the Japanese fans part of these vocal fans? I can imagine Sailor Moon making a lot of impact to Western fans since they were probably fairly unfamiliar with that style of anime, but it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to Japanese fans.
Can't really say for Japan (I hadn't really a chance to poll the mean interest back then) but when I had the luck to watch the original in 1992 before it was aired in my country I remember people were slamming it even before seeing it. When it was actually aired it became even worse. I recall one article that basically said that SM was everything wrong with Japanese animation at that time.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:44   Link #566
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Can't really say for Japan (I hadn't really a chance to poll the mean interest back then) but when I had the luck to watch the original in 1992 before it was aired in my country I remember people were slamming it even before seeing it. When it was actually aired it became even worse. I recall one article that basically said that SM was everything wrong with Japanese animation at that time.
It isn't hard to see why Western fans would espouse these opinions back in the early '90s. Anime was emphasized back then as animation (explicitly not cartoons) for adults and with adult themes and Sailor Moon challenged that in a big way by being quite obviously for children, and girls to boot! The appearance of what anime seemed to be was an important part of the hobby in a way that isn't nearly as big a deal nowadays.

Of course, a lot of this comes from today's fans mostly coming into the medium during the Sailor Moon era and later.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:56   Link #567
Chiibi

Quote:
I recall one article that basically said that SM was everything wrong with Japanese animation at that time.
Sounds to me like that article was written by a close-minded doosh.
Probably only liked Fist of the North Star and testosterone-pumped crap like that...
Old 2013-01-22, 14:29   Link #568
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Sounds to me like that article was written by a close-minded doosh.
Probably only liked Fist of the North Star and testosterone-pumped crap like that...
The flavor of the month at the time would have been Akira. Sailor Moon doesn't quite play to the same sensibilities.
Old 2013-01-22, 14:33   Link #569
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Remakes almost always use the most famous pieces of music from the original. Even if they change out all the other music, the original OP will be there...someplace.
Of corse it will.

Old 2013-01-22, 15:02   Link #570
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
It isn't hard to see why Western fans would espouse these opinions back in the early '90s. Anime was emphasized back then as animation (explicitly not cartoons) for adults and with adult themes and Sailor Moon challenged that in a big way by being quite obviously for children, and girls to boot! The appearance of what anime seemed to be was an important part of the hobby in a way that isn't nearly as big a deal nowadays.
In the specific case it was used to showcase the "crisis" of the anime market, an idea that circulates even with today shows (I'm not mentioning the economic crisis, it was touted as a crisis of ideas). Thinking back, I defended the show much more than I would do today.
Old 2013-01-22, 15:13   Link #571
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
That's strange as Precure is some of the best anime being made right now. Suite was a miss, but Heartcatch and Smile are very good. They're certainly a lot better than any of the Nanoha I've watched.
... Eh... I've never seen Nanoha and have no interest in seeing it, but my opinion of Precure isn't so great, especially Heartcatch and Smile (the latter I couldn't even watch completely) so it's not strange for me to see someone else mention not enjoying it.

For me it lacks the charm that Sailor Moon had, I find the repeating tropes and themes throughout the seasons to be more tiresome than interesting... and every season having a different cast is something I've never enjoyed, it also leaves less time for character development and the characters become rather bland for me. It's like they're a collection of traits rather than actual characters to me and they're always the same... it's like instead of an actual new character you just get a combination of Cure White and Cure Lemonade, except she's good at sewing and has a new design or something and she's thrown into the same situation where she has to save the fairies of rainbowland by fighting random bad guys every week with no real interesting overarching storyline that adds any development that we haven't already seen with previous Cures over and over again.
I do plan on watching Doki Doki Precure but only because I like the designs, I'm not really planning on enjoying the series itself but I'm willing to give it a shot. I know PreCure doesn't pan to my sense of humor like Sailor Moon does.

Not saying that Sailor Moon is perfect, I'm just saying that it's something I genuinely enjoy while Pretty Cure is more so something I just try to get through to see the pretty colors... which is weird since that's never a good reason to watch anything.
With Madoka... it was okay. Not an instant favorite of mine or anything but it was fine. I mean, I know it's not a typical magical girl anime so I'm not comparing it to Sailor Moon or anything. Once again something I don't really understand the hype for despite the fact that I have a Madoka avatar and signature.

I can easily say that Sailor Moon is the only real magical girl anime that I've genuinely enjoyed growing up and even now and can happily rewatch. I haven't really been able to get into CardCaptor Sakura or Pretty Cure much... and I've tried to watch other magical girl anime and just couldn't do it. I remember trying to watch Tokyo Mew Mew and it wasn't happening. ^^;

I'm hoping that whatever the original series had that kept me hooked (humor more than anything I think) won't change for the new Sailor Moon anime. If they change it too much I might find myself trying to finish it just because it's Sailor Moon rather than watching it because I'm enjoying it.

Old 2013-01-22, 15:20   Link #572
4Tran

Quote:
In the specific case it was used to showcase the "crisis" of the anime market, an idea that circulates even with today shows (I'm not mentioning the economic crisis, it was touted as a crisis of ideas). Thinking back, I defended the show much more than I would do today.
That certainly sounds like what Western fans might have felt back then. It's quite hilarious in hindsight since Sailor Moon was also one of the main shows that propelled anime to its unprecedented popularity in the late '90s and early '00s. And that it was one of the more innovative shows idea-wise; not only ushering shoujo works that had never had much presence in the West, but also popularizing manga like never before. It's quite interesting how short-sighted those fans were back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
... Eh... I've never seen Nanoha and have no interest in seeing it, but my opinion of Precure isn't so great, especially Heartcatch and Smile (the latter I couldn't even watch completely) so it's not strange for me to see someone else mention not enjoying it.
That sounds to me like you've got some issues with shoujo or children's anime in general, than any issue with those works in particular. Sailor Moon might have just hit the right notes for you to like.

Quote:
I do plan on watching Doki Doki Precure but only because I like the designs, I'm not really planning on enjoying the series itself but I'm willing to give it a shot. I know PreCure doesn't pan to my sense of humor like Sailor Moon does.
Sadly, Dokidoki doesn't look to be as good as Smile or Heartcatch.

Quote:
With Madoka... it was okay. Not an instant favorite of mine or anything but it was fine. I mean, I know it's not a typical magical girl anime so I'm not comparing it to Sailor Moon or anything. Once again something I don't really understand the hype for despite the fact that I have a Madoka avatar and signature.
I've never watched Madoka, so I don't know what the appeal is supposed to be there. I do find the character designs to be pretty ugly though.
Old 2013-01-22, 15:56   Link #573
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
And that it was one of the more innovative shows idea-wise; not only ushering shoujo works that had never had much presence in the West, but also popularizing manga like never before. It's quite interesting how short-sighted those fans were back then.
I think it became stale after three series though. Takeuchi ran out of ideas quickly as well, and most of the clones of the time had interesting concepts, if not absurd ones (Wedding Peach is a prime example) but fell prey of the same shortcomings.
The whole concept crashed and burnt with Cutey Honey F and it took quite a while to get "good" for Toei again, with Precure.
I remember I couldn't even force myself to watch SuperS (minus episode 151, the one with Ami) or Sailor Stars (even the first arc) back then. The excessive cuts made to Sailor Stars when it aired on TV here surely helped my disappointment though.
Old 2013-01-22, 17:21   Link #574
Chiibi

Quote:
The flavor of the month at the time would have been Akira. Sailor Moon doesn't quite play to the same sensibilities.
Ew......I hated Akira. I found it to be an ugly, unpleasant movie. Pretty gross too.

Quote:
most of the clones of the time had interesting concepts, if not absurd ones (Wedding Peach is a prime example) but fell prey of the same shortcomings.
Gah........Wedding Peach. I watched about sixteen episodes before I dropped it. It's really mediocre....and sometimes TOO ridiculous.

I did enjoy Nurse Angel Rirka SOS though. Saint Tail as well.
Old 2013-01-22, 19:42   Link #575
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Gah........Wedding Peach. I watched about sixteen episodes before I dropped it. It's really mediocre....and sometimes TOO ridiculous.
I loved Wedding Peach, it was corny, and cheesy but the ending was worth it...
Old 2013-01-23, 09:59   Link #576
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I thought Momorio Clover Z will be singing the theme song for the new anime? Or is my friend mistaken?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2013-01-23, 10:10   Link #577
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I thought Momorio Clover Z will be singing the theme song for the new anime? Or is my friend mistaken?
That right,it's really the only thing we know about the new anime.

Rereading the announcement I do feel like asking this again, here's what the news said:

Quote:
he idol group Momoiro Clover Z, publisher Kodansha, and creator Naoko Takeuchi announced on Friday that a new anime adaptation of Takeuchi's Sailor Moon manga is being produced. The new anime series is aimed for release next summer, and Momoiro Clover Z will perform a theme song.
There is no mention of Toei here,does Kodansha have to go through Toei if they want to produce a new manga adaptation?
Not that I have anything against Toei but I just find it interesting that everyone finds it a given they'll be producing this when there's been no announcement they will.
Old 2013-01-23, 11:47   Link #578
4Tran

Quote:
I think it became stale after three series though. Takeuchi ran out of ideas quickly as well, and most of the clones of the time had interesting concepts, if not absurd ones (Wedding Peach is a prime example) but fell prey of the same shortcomings.
It's not unusual for a novel concept to have only so much applicablitiy since they're treading new ground. However, I don't think that your assessment is very fair: SuperS is pretty good even though it's obvious that Ikuhara was told to tone down his weird ideas, and Stars features some of the very best Sailor Moon.

Quote:
The whole concept crashed and burnt with Cutey Honey F and it took quite a while to get "good" for Toei again, with Precure.
Toei did pretty well with Ojamajo Doremi, and that came out two years after Stars wrapped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
There is no mention of Toei here,does Kodansha have to go through Toei if they want to produce a new manga adaptation?
Not that I have anything against Toei but I just find it interesting that everyone finds it a given they'll be producing this when there's been no announcement they will.
The new Sailor Moon doesn't have to go to Toei, but I can't see any production company that would be a better fit. Even discounting their previous history, all of those Precure shows that they have the experience to make good magical girl shows. I can see Toei declining the offer if they think it would interfere with their cash cow, but that's a different matter. In any case, the exact studio making the show is going to be less important than who the main creative staff are going to be. Would they go with old Sailor Moon hands, or are we finally going to see Usagi as written by Okada Mari?
Old 2013-01-23, 14:01   Link #579
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
IThe new Sailor Moon doesn't have to go to Toei, but I can't see any production company that would be a better fit. Even discounting their previous history, all of those Precure shows that they have the experience to make good magical girl shows. I can see Toei declining the offer if they think it would interfere with their cash cow, but that's a different matter. In any case, the exact studio making the show is going to be less important than who the main creative staff are going to be. Would they go with old Sailor Moon hands, or are we finally going to see Usagi as written by Okada Mari?
Just to be clear I'm not saying Toei isn't a logical fit,just don't want people to be shocked if it turns out it's not Toei producing it.

And you're right,what really counts is the people,with that said the Okada Mari allusion wasn't funny the first time and it's still not funny
Old 2013-01-23, 15:05   Link #580
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
That sounds to me like you've got some issues with shoujo or children's anime in general, than any issue with those works in particular. Sailor Moon might have just hit the right notes for you to like.

Sadly, Dokidoki doesn't look to be as good as Smile or Heartcatch.

I've never watched Madoka, so I don't know what the appeal is supposed to be there. I do find the character designs to be pretty ugly though.
I have no issues with the genre... if I did I'd just write off every magical girl anime without giving it a chance (which is something I never do for some reason), it's like that with everything for me. I'm picky and so I have the same issue with just about every single genre out there, there will be one or two works that I'll love from a particular genre while the rest of it doesn't interest me at all. I thought that was normal.

I don't get what you mean by the second part. I don't understand how one can form an opinion on something that hasn't even been shown yet... but I can easily say that for me, it wouldn't be hard for Doki Doki to surpass Smile and Heartcatch.

I like the designs of the Madoka characters better than some other designs I've seen. It wasn't as if that put me off so much that I wanted to stop watching it like with Heartcatch and Smile...

Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo